Chapter 31 – It’s a Small World
173 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Moving out of the town hall, she stretched herself up to loosen her body from her laboring shift.

'What a long day.' She was really tired from her work today. The fault mainly lied in the sudden number of Initiates who had to register themselves. Otherwise, she would just pass records between the offices and be ordered to make some registry.

She wanted to just head back home now and relax. She wondered what was on the menu today. She was even thinking to try to request her mom to make her favorite dishes for the hard work she did today.

Speaking of work, those three foreigners came into her mind. The trio was very strange. They really did not have the slightest of common sense of the world. Though that could be attributed to them being from another Plane. The world they came from seems vastly different from here. From things like food to buildings, she was interested in learning the differences between both Planes.

She was especially interested in the technology they mentioned. She very much admired the elaborate contraptions she had seen in the capital. She wanted to know more about them and how to create them.

She was thinking of taking Engineer as her next Profession. Her Rite was also coming in a few months if she were to consider her current pace. She needed to think soon of what Class she wanted to choose. She didn't want to be a brute and smash swords but becoming a mana Practitioner is very unlikely either. She didn't think she had the talent for mana.

She sighed in frustration as it was seeming increasingly likely that she would have to choose some Class like Archer or Rogue.

Reaching her home in the form of Inn, she entered through the main entrance and announced her arrival for Mom as always. She was very strict about manners.

She was surprised to see Angie instead of her Mom manning the desk. It was very rare for her to leave the reception. The only time she had ever seen her leave was either during breaks or when she had some other more important duty.

What happened next was what made her even more surprised.

She saw a familiar face standing near the reception with an astonished expression. She was sure she was as surprised as the other party at seeing each other here.

Then, she heard him question her presence here. She realized how absurd it was being asked what she was doing at her own home.

"What do you mean what I am doing here? I live here." Nephra pointed an accusatory finger back at him.

"Right." A strange coincidence in Noah's opinion.

"It seems you are also living here." Nephra noticed the items he had on his hands and looked at the direction he was heading in to make the conclusion.

"It seems so. Just curious by the way, Who is your mom?" He was interested to know who her mother that she seemed so respectful of was.

"You are talking to the daughter of this Inn's owner." She replied proudly.

Noah was stunned to hear that. He wasn't expecting Miss Florelle of all people to be her mother. But like who would expect a young-looking woman to have a teenage daughter.

"Are you sure she isn't your big sister or something? Cause she doesn't look like she is married and has a 15-year-old kid."

"No, she is my mom, and just so you know I'm not a kid. I'm a 16-year-old young woman." Nephra could understand his disbelief. Most people at first meeting thought mom was the older sister instead of the mother.

"Right. Doesn't sound any different to me though. I still did not get how she could be your mother." Noah was still doubtful about the revelation. He could believe Miss Florelle to be her relative but her mother seems a bit too much.

"She just looks young. In fact, she isn't as young as you believe. She covers up her actual age using Beauty Potions and a variety of products." She rolled her eyes thinking of the sheer amount of cosmetics her mom had stuffed in their room.

"You are being far more outspoken than I remember." Noah could see that she was much unreserved than before.

"I am new to that job. You cannot expect me to act as I do at home in front of my colleagues."

"Fair point, I guess. So, I must say it is nice to meet you again. Also, thanks for the hospitality and letting us stay at your Inn." Noah shrugged. It was perfectly reasonable to portray a good image of yourself.

"Same here, though I hardly did anything for you guys. If you want to thank someone, thank my mom." Nephra was happy to meet Noah and continue their talks. She was excited to know more about their world.

"Just take it as a token of appreciation in place of Miss Florelle."

"Please, my mom may act kindly to the guests but ask the staff here how much of a devil she is." She shook her head seeing how unbearably ignorant he was about the terror her presence commanded in her as well as the staff. Though that ignorance is surely going away soon.

Nephra should have realized she damned herself the moment she had the thought.

A bone-chilling voice came from behind the two.

"Nephra, you shouldn't say such things about mom."

'Yeep' Their hearts shuddered hearing the voice as they leaped out in fright. Nephra panicked much worse because she could recognize the very familiar voice at any time. A yelp came out of her mouth as she crouched down holding her head in fear of coming punishment.

"Miss Florelle" Noah turned around in fright and saw the owner of Inn standing behind them smiling. Unfortunately, her eyes were anything but. He blurted out a question shocked at her sudden appearance.

"From how long have you been standing behind us?"

"Around the time little Neph began speaking some ungraceful words about her mother. Neph, do you have anything to say in your defense?" Miss Florelle's voice was calm as she directed her gaze to Nephra who curled up even further.

"No, mom." Her voice was back to the meek one he knew.

Miss Florelle nodded as if satisfied with her response and said.

"Good. Since you accepted your mistake gracefully, I will make the punishment light. You may not have dessert in dinner today."

"That is not fa-, yes mom." It seems that desserts were a weak spot to her as she somehow had the courage to stand up against the smiling devil. Of course, that was only in fruition as her mouth shut instantly when Miss Florelle's gaze turned sharp.

Noah intervened to seek confirmation if she really was Nephra's mother.

"Miss Florelle, Is Neph really your daughter?"

She was a bit surprised by the nickname but then a mischievous smirk donned her face.

"Yes, though I sometimes think it would be better if I didn't have such a naughty daughter."

"MOM!" Nephra made an annoyed shout, pouting.

"Just a joke, darling." Her grin only grew wider as she very much enjoyed teasing her cute young daughter.

"But you don't look like her mother to me. You seem way too young for that." Noah still wasn't convinced.

She chuckled at his remarks and added.

"Thanks for the compliment, dear. It seems the potions aren't wasted."

"Are the potions really that good? Then, that means you are much old-" Noah was musing about this new knowledge but was interrupted suddenly.

"One shouldn't ask about a woman's age. Remember that, young man." Her voice was even colder than before with those eyes glaring daggers at him.

"Yes, Ma'am." Words came out instantly from his mouth. He wasn't going to argue with an angry woman. That is just a futile endeavor.

Noah sighed in relief as Miss Florelle's glare softened and her professional look was back on.

"Leaving all that, it is good I found you here. I have some news for you."

Noah was now intrigued. What could be the important news for her to have to give it to him in person.

"Firstly, A special bath is made available for the Trainees. You need to make sure to go to the leftmost one. A staff would be standing there and guide you." she paused for a moment to gather her thoughts and continued.

"Secondly, you have Language classes taught by me tomorrow. Originally it was supposed to start today but I readjusted the schedule to tomorrow in consideration of the visitors as many of you may not be able to handle such a packed schedule just after coming. It seems I was right seeing your appearance."

Noah was surprised to hear the information but then recalled the agreement he had made with Gul.

"I am sorry to disappoint you but I have decided to stay overtime at my job in Anvil Artisans so I most probably wouldn't be able to attend it."

Her eyes widened slightly in surprise as she responded.

"Oh, Dali's place. Hmm, That seems to be a problem but I have got the solution for that. Since you can't attend the regular classes, you just need to make time for special ones. Considering your schedule, it would be better if you take it in the early morning. Neph would be there too."

His eyebrows rose at the way she addressed the master. She seems to know him personally. It's a small world. First Nephra and now master Ralvol. Though, he could ask her about it later on. It was more important to discuss about his classes.

"And she doesn't have a problem with me intruding in her studies." He said pointing at Nephra.

"I'm sure she can adjust, right Neph?" Her voice may be calm but the underlying tone wasn't lost to anyone present.

"Yes, mom." She nodded lightly.

"Now, if you will excuse me, I am required by the new cook apprentices." Saying this, she headed back towards the diner.

The two stood there standing for a moment. Nephra broke the silence first.

"See" She was back in her outgoing persona.

"I could see what you mean. She seems strict and very disciplined." He could now somewhat understand the situation.

"Just wait a few weeks, you will understand it clearly. No, scratch that, you are going to study with me from now on. In a few days, you are going to fear her very presence." She was trying to scare him but Noah wasn't going to back down so easily. The two started bantering with each other.

"Well, we will handle it together then. You should be happy I am willing to take some of the heat."

"Let's see how you will handle the heat."

"I gotta say, I like this Neph is much better than the meek one."

She had a grin on her face as she replied.

"Try not to get annoyed by Nephra. I will be picking you up tomorrow morning, so don't be late to bed. I don't want to knock on your room early morning."

"Sure, Miss Neph."

He smiled waving at her who rushed upstairs.

The girl could really open up. He couldn't even recognize the shy girl from the morning. Though she showed some signs back then when they started talking he could feel that she really showed her true persona to him now.

There is a saying that common suffering is the best way for people to get closer. He could see how that might be true.

He resumed his march towards the bath and proceeded down the hallway the staff informed him.

Reaching the end of the hallway, he came across multiple partitions each covered by curtains. In front of the leftmost one, there was a staff arranging some towels.

Heading towards the staff, he asked for guidance.

The staff directed him inside while handing him a towel. He politely refused, showing him the towel he had brought with him. The staff nodded and put back the towel in the rack.

The staff gave a final reminder to first take a shower before dipping in the special herbal bath. Giving a nod of acknowledgment, he stepped into the changing room. There were shelves placed around with baskets in them.

He spotted no one else other than him in the room. Maybe they haven't arrived yet.

Removing all his clothes, he placed them in an empty basket on one of the side shelves.

Wrapping his towel around his waist, he headed forward.

He came across a large bath. There were several showerheads and taps along with buckets and stools. Everything needed for a public bath.

He didn't wait anymore and got to cleaning himself up. Turning on the shower, he relished the feel of cold water brushing against his skin.

He took a long shower washing away his fatigue along with all the grime and sweat.

After the relaxing shower, he headed to the main attraction of the night. There was a massive bath at the end.

The water inside was slightly bluish-green, kind of like swimming pools but more pronounced. He wanted to know what made was special about it except the color.

Dipping his toe, he felt that the water was somewhat warm but bearable. Immersing himself slowly in the bath, he felt the difference in an instant.

A tingling sensation erupted from his skin. It felt oddly comfortable despite the slight itchiness. He sank himself even deeper just keeping his head above the water. His body slowly relaxed as he felt the miraculous restoration his body was undergoing. Having experienced the effects, Noah submerged his head occasionally as well. This way, whatever good it was doing to his lower body, it could do so now to his entire body.

He stayed around 15 minutes in the bath taking occasion dips when he heard some sounds from the hallway. Turning to look, he was delighted to see Shaun coming in though he looked like shit.

He waved to announce his presence which he replied with a weak wave. Shaun took a short shower just letting the water run over him for some time.

Shaun then joined him in the bath. He seemed to have relaxed somewhat as he made himself comfortable spreading his hands around the bath boundary. Seeing him so worn out, Noah couldn't help but ask.

"Tough day?"

"Don't even get me started." Shaun wanted just to relax and forget about the harsh work. Talking about it won't do that.

"Come on, you need to tell me or I will just think you failed to even do a simple dish." Noah was now curious whether others had to suffer as bad as him. Luckily, he knew just how to rile him up.

As expected, he was quite proud of his cooking skill. He just needed to poke at him and Shaun started his explanation.

"No, I did well enough. People were even surprised by my skill that they felt there was no reason for me to go through the basics. At this point, it looked fine to me but then it all got worse when Miss Florelle took charge and starts teaching some advanced lessons."

"Oh, boy" The mere mention of Miss Florelle was enough to warrant a suspicion Shaun's day was pretty bad.

"Yeah, it was total hell. Every mistake confronted me with a death glare and then served with harsh punishment. By the end, she had squashed every single ounce of self-esteem I had as a cook and made me feel like I shouldn't even dream of being one." He sighed recalling the abuse he went through.

"Well, your experience sure sounds horrifying but it still doesn't hold up to being worked to death by a murderous psychopath."

His eyebrows raised in question so Noah gave him the context.

"Well, that's something. This Gul guy seems straight-up dangerous. You should keep your distance and make sure not to antagonize him."

"That's the thing. Despite all the crazy, I actually feel comfortable around him. Now, before you start yapping, let me tell you my reason. It's because he is almost open with his intentions. There are some things he keeps hidden but it is minor. I don't need to be on my toes around him. Hell, I think he even enjoys it when I drop all pretense and start cursing him." Noah then explained his entire encounter with Gul.

"Quite a peculiar dynamic you seem to have formed. Well, It is not my concern as long as he isn't going to harm you." Shaun didn't care anymore as his mentor didn't seem much different.

The trio then chatted in detail about their respective experiences enjoying their relaxation time. Finally, they got out and wiped themselves. Putting on the clothes they brought with them, they exited the bath to see a surprising sight.

7