001 Do I Have to Say it?
993 8 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A shaky carriage going down a rough mountain path. Only the squealing of a bouncing wooden wheel breaks the quiet and awe of the green mountain peaks. Within, the battered carriage lay a young youth. Back bent, and eyes unfocused, he does his best to stay comfortable, but it is all for naught. Moving too and fro, spinning left and right, even at the break of day he is trying to tell the world goodnight. Hitting a rock, the already worse for wear, back axel breaks. The carriage tips and crashes into a tree routed onto the cliffside. The youth is thrown, and his weight collapsed into the door, slamming it open. Unprepared and unfit, he flings his arms around desperately as he falls down the side of the cliff. As it is steep, but nowhere near vertical, he will survive... probably. His well fitting suit is quickly tarnished as it catches on bushes and brambles as he rolls down the mountainside. The best he can do is guard his head with his arms. Which he did, which is good. Cuts and bruises riddle his forearm, and although he feels great regret about this, he is far happier to have protected his head. It wouldn't do to become any stupider after all. 

His back slams into the trunk of a rather large tree, stopping his descent, but also causing his back to produce a loud cracking sound. The young man lays lifeless against the trunk. His listless blue eyes staring at the great distance he has come from the precipice, he rubs his matted black hair and whines, 

“Fuck... I don't want to climb that shit.”[Neidr] Gazing up at the great distance he covered in such a short time, he could only resent the fact he couldn't roll uphill too. He was never an athletic person in either of his lives, but that was going to have to change soon.

“AHHHHHH, Fine, I'll do it,”[Neidr] he relented, “but first a short nap.”[Neidr] With that, he closed his eyes and began to rest. In truth, it hasn't been long since the young man came to this world. He had a life previous to this new one, but it was what one would call sad and pathetic, so you wouldn't care anyway. In truth, only this new life matters, so only the name of this body matters. Neidr Hyll. The name might not mean anything to you, but for the inhabitants of the Hyll territory it was, if not the portent of death, the portent of slight misfortune. 

Neidr Hyll is the only son of the Hyll Barony. A low rank for sure, but a noble rank nonetheless. He is notorious in the Hyll territory, not because he was particularly vicious compared to other nobles, but rather, the Hyll territory is rural and gossip is the only way to relieve boredom. Neidr Hyll was known as a lazy, spoiled brat. Just based on this, you might assume that Neidr was a member of the younger generation. However, it gets worse. As the heir to a noble family, his laziness, his pettiness, his wroth, could cause death. Usually it caused property damage, but it could cause death. 

None of that is important right now, though. What we should really focus on while Neidr Hyll is unconscious and bleeding alone in the woods is, how his character fit within the original story. Are you wondering what original story I'm talking about? You don't pay a lot of attention, do you? Never mind, I'll tell you anyway. Neidr Hyll was a minor villain role in a swords and magic story based in Rotham Academy. He was the type of guy to get full of himself, since he was the only noble in the backwater region he called home. He must have the best ladies, food, clothes, etc. Coming across the protagonist who was not of noble blood, Hyll disparaged and bullied him. Well, I don't think I have to continue, you get the picture. 

Unable to sleep, Neidr simply rubbed his eyes and stretched his back. He had some trouble moving forward at first as his feet were wrapped in some sort of vine, but after a few minutes he regained his freedom. His muscles screamed as he began the grueling task of ascending the mountain. When he was only halfway to the top, he wanted to take a rest, but a voice kept nagging at him to keep going forward. Like the beeping of a car when you didn't put your seatbelt on, Neidr was more loathe to listen to it any longer than he was feeling sore. Upon witnessing the crashed corpse of the magic carriage, Neidr gave a sigh of relief. He wasn't worried about the driver, as there wasn't one, nor did he particularly care about denting it. He was just glad to see he made it to the top, letting out a battle cry of victory, Neidr got to work. Using his body weight to pull the carriage back down onto the road, Neidr noticed something. A small problem really, his back axel was broken. His carriage could no longer move.

“Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, you know what, I shouldn't curse so much.”[Neidr] Neidr took a deep breath made an obligation in his mind he knew he wouldn't keep, and began to brainstorm about how to fix this issue. It wouldn't do to walk to Rotham, he could barely walk up that hill. He couldn't go back either, at this point he was closer to Rotham than the Hyll Barony. Scratching his head, Heidr could only think to jerry rig the damn thing to work. Treating it like a broken bone and splinting it. If he could totally cover the break with branches or bark and tie a rope around it, that would be a start. It would be better to just carve a new axel from a long branch, but the axel and wheels were carved from one trunk, going that route would mean making new wheels. He wasn't that competent. Luckily, there were plenty of trees near the road, after collecting a few he searched the carriage for rope. There was no rope. Losing hope for this idea before it even begun, Neidr crashed into the ground and stared down the mountainside.

At that moment, something caught his eye, although he almost wished it hadn't. There was a vine wrapped around a very familiar tree, just looking at it sent shivers up his spine.

“Fuck,”[Neidr] and like that, his first promise was broken.

14