069 Picking Up A Defensive Treasure (AP) (RTP)
108 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the carriage bounced down the uneven mountain path, Neidr felt a supreme sense of nostalgia. He let out a chuckle as he laid against the back of the carriage, closely watching the sleeping guards in the cabin. Palder put Neidr in armor and simply passed him off as a guard volunteering to protect the caravan. Apparently, it was so difficult to get people to do this job, they didn't ask any questions. Heavy bags hung under Neidr's eyes as he slowly drove the tip of his knife into his leg in order to force himself awake. In truth, he hasn't slept for several days. There is only one sentence that keeps repeating in Neidr's heart,

'It isn't ever this easy!' He is determined not to sleep a wink until this whole charade shows its ugly face. Neidr snarls under his helmet, as he looks down at his 'compatriots.' Are they going to kill him once he closes his eyes? Is there an ambush up ahead? Why? Why was it so easy to get through the gates? In his delirium, Neidr threw around the idea of worshiping Palder as an idol. If it is truly this easy, isn't it because of that loser's luck? Surely, he could siphon some away through prayer...

Neidr shakes his head, his thoughts are getting strange. Neidr's eyes flutter shut as he thinks of the future. This whole time, he planned to live at ease after the kingdom was secure, but now that that idea is shot... He needs protection. Mostly... from the protagonist. Neidr smiles. He knows just where to get it. His tense body relaxes, he shuts his eyes and his body starts to fall unconscious, then the knife digs into his flesh,

'FUCK!' Blood starts to stain his pants as he pulls the knife up. In the morning, as the automated carriage starts to roll towards the city of Gantar, Neidr jumps off the carriage and starts to march towards the forest before anyone wakes up. Luckily enough...

'Luckily?' Neidr narrows his eyes, gets on his knees and prays to the god Palder for more good luck. Anyway, luckily enough, this city is where he can pick up a protective charm, the path of the carriage just happened to go through it. Now, he just has to find it and trick it into following him.

***

The wind whipped though the shantytown. Chilling a small girl to the bone like a vicious ice whip, punishing her for her foolishness. She was bone thin, her flesh barely hid her bones. She shivered as the light of hope and determination that she once held in her heart had almost vanished. She had thought that she could find her brother after that wicked witch stole him from them, alas she could only travel from city to city never knowing a home. Hunger had long become the second-strongest emotion in her heart, the first being the idle hope that her brother could find her. She wrapped a shredded stained blanked around herself, hiding from the wind and the gazes of people who might want to take advantage of a small girl, no matter how ugly and malnourished she had become. Tears fell from the girl's eyes as she remembered her late mother.. stolen from her by the greed of nobles. Who wouldn't become greedy after seeing such a great 'gift.' The little girl grit her teeth in sheer rage, looking as if she could chew through metal. 

The sound of malicious laughter filled the alleyway, and the uneven footsteps of a group of people could be heard. The girl's body started to shake, and she tightened her grasp on her blanket making herself as small as possible, her arms wrapped herself tightly, afraid that even an inch would allow her to be seen. She had watched as these drunken roving bands of men stole or beat young girls on the street for nothing but their own amusement before. Countless countless countless times, the few friends she could make as she stumbled her way across Flirord were picked up and sold or beaten to death by a drunken mob. Just thinking about it, tears welled up in her eyes, but she bit some back, afraid of making any sound.

Despite her best efforts, though, it was finally time for her life to be reaped as well. The men stopped in front of her, there alcohol ridden breath invaded her nose. 

"A little urchin trying to hide?" They ripped her blanket from her, she looked up to see ridicule giddiness in the eyes of these men, a look she was all too familiar with. Crying out in her she rushed forward, throwing punches and trying to escape, but they were too strong the harder she struggled, the more they laughed. She hated this. This world, that stole her brother and her mother. That tormented her wherever it could. She cursed everyone who had ever harmed her, she cursed that damned witch who stole her peaceful life from her and she cursed the damned gods themselves. 

The men began to kick and beat her, she could feel her brittle bones starting to give way. She slowly gave up, this life had cursed her. Once she died, she swore that she would haunt all those who had ever done her wrong.

***

Neidr was enraged, he took the last of his money and paid some drunkards to bully this little girl, so he could jump in and save her. After searching in this city for so long, he finally found his golden ticket, so he wanted to play the hero to trick her into following him. If Liam ever came to make trouble, Neidr would just pull out Liam's little sister and threaten to slit her throat. This is insurance.  However, these bastards had almost beat her dead. If this little girl was killed, how was he supposed to defend himself from Liam? Neidr saw nothing, but red and jumped down. He viciously beat the group of drunkards before they could do anymore damage. When they saw him, their faces were filled with confusion and if they dared to ask why Neidr was beating them so viciously he would directly slit their throat. Covered in blood and surrounded by bodies, Neidr smiled down at the little girl hoping to score a good impression, only to find that she had long been knocked unconscious.

'Fuck!'

5