16. Perfect Excuse
866 2 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Akio taps the purchase button as a balance of -200 appears together with 47 points on his shop menu.

Swoosh…

A black ring made of an unknown material appears in his hand. There are blackthorn and chain-like markings around the ring. There are runic inscriptions around the inner part of the ring.

"Heavy!"

This is the first thought that comes to Akio's mind as he holds the ring.

"This ring most probably weighs around a kilogram."

Before wearing the ring, he takes another look at the description of the ring.

[Ring of Contracts (Upgradable)

Active Skill: - By infusing a portion of chakra or nature energy in the ring, the user can summon a creature to perform some tasks. The summoned creature will be loyal to the summoner, but the summoner can't force the creature to inflict self-harm.

Passive Skill: - Attribute Transfer: - A portion of the attributes of the summoned creature will be transferred to the user. However, the user will also suffer damage in proportion to the attributes transferred if the creature suffers any harm. (Note: - This effect will only be active when the summon is in the user's vicinity. Also, the user can't die because of the damage transfer but will be left with at least 1 point in vitality.) Current Limit: - 5% No. of summons: 1]

"System, this item is upgradable; so, does this mean I can get a better version of it?"

[Affirmative!]

Another window opens on the shop menu.

[Ring of Contract (II) Cost: 20,000 system points.]

"Damn! That's quite the cost."

Akio silently stares at the -200 system points.

"So, how do I use it?"

He flips the ring upside down to take a closer look.

[Host! Please infuse the ring with a single drop of your blood to sign the contract. To summon a certain type of creature, form an image in your mind and infuse nature energy in the ring.]

"Ok!"

Akio picks up a kunai and slowly pokes his thumb. He drops the blood on the ring.

Shiing…

The runes on the rings shine brightly as Akio feels a connection with the ring.

"Oh! That's convenient. I will hold the summoning for now since it will be too eye-catching here!"

He stares at the remaining time on the quest menu.

"I still have 9 hours. I will manage the business first, then secretly depart in the evening. For now, I have to think of an excuse to explain my absence to Mom."

He returns to the counter and slumps down.

Caw… Caw…

A black crow flies through the sky as Akio continues to stare outside the shop.

'It has been a week and there is no news about Yamato. I guess the Hokage dealt with the matter. Looks like I won't see him anytime soon. Sigh…'

Akio sighs and closes his eyes to take a small nap.

'Even if I was a bit rude and was being a dick, Yamato still thought me off as an idol and even saved my life. I will have to live up to his expectations. So, in the future, if I see him again, I will still be the same idol he thought me out to be.'

"Aniki!... Aniki!"

The voice of a boy falls in Akio's ears.

Sigh…

Akio takes another deep breath and wipes the trace of a teardrop near the corner of his eyes.

"Look, how much I miss him? I can even hear his voice in my head?"

[Host, you are a Baka!]

"Huh?!"

"Aniki! Aniki!"

Yamato waves his hand as he sprints towards the shop.

"Am I seeing things?"

Akio rubs his eyes and ignores System's message.

"Aniki!"

Yamato stops in front of the shop and stares at Akio in excitement.

"Yamato! It's you?!"

"Yes, Aniki, it's me!" Yamato nods his head.

'How?!'

Numerous questions pop into Akio's mind.

'They let this guy out, despite knowing his value. Is the Hokage that kind? Won't Root target him, if he stays in open like this? No, won't the Root target us?'

Akio raises his head and stares in a distance.

'The Anbu members are still here, which means we are safe. So, how?!'

"Yamato, come in!"

Akio waves to Yamato and leads him into the store.

"Yes, Aniki!"

Yamato looks around in amazement, as this is his first time in the shop.

"Stay here while I inform mom!"

Akio opens the backdoor of the shop and enters the house. Kaori is preparing lunch in the kitchen.

"Ara! Akio, are you hungry?"

"Mom! Yamato is back. He is in the shop!"

"Oh!" A smile appears on Kaori's face.

"Invite him in! He came at a good time. We will have our lunch together while listening to Yamato's story."

"Ok!"

After fifteen minutes,

Yamato and Akio are gobbling the food. Kaori stares at them with a smile.

"So, Yamato-chan! How is your new place?"

Gulp…

Yamato swallows his food and speaks with excitement.

"I am attending the academy now. It's so fun. Many kids of my age are also studying with me."

"A-C-A-D-E-M-Y!!"

An invisible arrow pierces through Akio's heart.

"Oh! That's wonderful." Kaori claps in praise.

Mmm…

"The teachers are very nice to me and teach me lots of new things. Also, I live in a new place on the northern side of the village. It's a big place with lots of kids of my age."

'That's the location of the orphanage!'

Akio nods his head as he understands the situation.

"Not all kids are friendly there!"

Yamato's expression turns sour, but he soon cheers up.

"But now I can come and meet you and Akio Nii-san every day! Though I have to return to the place by 10 p.m."

'10 p.m.! Return! Oh!'

Akio's eyes light up as he thinks of the perfect excuse.

-----------------------

In the forest near the border of Land of Fire and Land of Grass,

Whoosh… whoosh…

Four figures quickly dash through the forest.

"Huh?!"

The figure in the front stops and signals other to stop.

"Wait!"

Minato pauses and gestures for others to stop.

Swoosh… swoosh…

Rin, Obito, and Kakashi stop beside him.

"What's the matter, sensei?" Obito asks him.

Sssh…

Minato signals him to keep quiet.

Ah!

Obito and Rin are puzzled.

"We are already in the enemy's territory!"

Kakashi whispers to them.

"Look!"

He points towards the ground. There are faint traces of footsteps on the ground buried under the small pile of snow.

Kakashi walks towards the traces and inspects them as he explains.

"These footsteps are recent. Most likely, they are a week or so old!"

"You could tell?"

Obito also bends beside him.

"It's easy to tell! These footsteps were formed before it started snowing. And the first snowfall of this winter was a week ago. Anybody can figure out the details."

"Wow! Amazing! Kakashi is such a genius!" Rin also walks beside them.

Tch…

"There is nothing praiseworthy about it!" Obito snorts and turns away.

"No! That's not all."

Minato nods his head in praise and explains to the group.

"These footsteps just don't tell us about the traces of the enemy. They narrate the entire story of the incidents that occurred here in the past few weeks."

Minato bends down and explains.

"First, these footsteps aren't from Konoha shinobis because the shinobis of Konoha wears the standard shinobi sandal of Konoha.

Second, they aren't from the convoy of merchants are. The direction of the footsteps doesn't match at all. They are pointing away from Konoha, not towards Konoha. Also, these markings of the sole of the footwear are too deep. This only means one thing…"

"What?!"

Rin and Obito curiously stare at Minato.

"This group of people was in a hurry, so their footsteps are heavy. Another important note, they are no trails of the wheel of a carriage, which most likely means the convoy of merchants never reached this place, to begin with."

"Ohhh! Amazing!"

Obito and Rin stare at Minato with amazement.

"Observation, information-gathering, and information analysis are basic skills of any shinobi. There is nothing amazing about it."

Kakashi remarks as he stands up and turns around to look further.

Hmm…

While Kakashi and the rest of the group are bickering, Minato stares at the ground.

'I can see faint traces of other footsteps on the ground, which don't belong to any of the above categories. The snow has washed away the traces but they are still there.'

"Alright, everyone! It's time for part two of our plan. Even if our enemies are common bandits or robbers; don't lower your guard or else you will pay for underestimating them."

Minato stares at Obito and Rin as he secretly glances at Kakashi.

'Let's see Kakashi! How will you perform on this mission? Things aren't as simple as they look."

30