Chapter 1 ~ A Day’s Work~
200 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m so glad I did”

 

Let’s see here, buildings C3 & B2 have had their floors swept, and all trash on building A1 has been picked up. Hmm… everything is looking good so far.” I said to myself. I took a quick glance at my notes, checking the duties I have for today. Funny, I never thought I would be this productive in my life, let alone be cleaning for others. And don’t get me wrong, I struggled a lot in the beginning, but luckily I had Charlie guiding my way through. That guy had a lot of patience. I would mess up with the simplest of things, and he would take time to show me how to do it the proper way. Afterwards, we would chill out in the courtyard, have a few drinks, and have some leftovers from the cafeteria. You could say we had a student/mentor relationship. I cherished those memories. Sadly, he passed a year ago, guess his age caught up with him. Probably the first time I’ve ever felt hurt, but I had to keep moving forward. Like Charlie said, “Guys like us aren’t noticed.” The world will keep going, and if we stay, we get left behind.

 

No time to reminisce, still got a job to do. Now let’s see what’s next. Ahh, the Admission & Records needs to be vacuumed. Ok, time to head there next… but before I go, it might be good to swing by the vending machine. Charlie taught me this great trick to get a free snack from it. The only requirement is that someone has had to use it before for this trick to work.

 

“Aww hell yeah, looks like someone did use it, and it looks like on the swiss rolls,” I said while grinning widely. Those are my favorite snacks. I position myself on the side of the vending machine and give it a ‘gentle’ push. The swiss rolls popped out position, and fell out. I open the little flap and receive my prize. Thank you for the lesson, Charlie.

 

“Hey, stop right there!!” a feminine voice calls out behind me. Shit, I've been caught, haven't I. "Stop trying to run!!" wait, I haven't even started to run. "Get back here sweetheart!!" ok, that obviously isn't directed at me. What the hell is going on?

 

I turn around to see what the commotion is all about. As soon as I saw his blonde hair, I already knew what this was about. It was Ryan getting chased by his followers, or 'harem' as I like to call it. Man, that guy never gets a break, does he? Well, when you're the only guy besides me on campus, of course you'll end up with this much attention. I was made aware of his presence when I first started working here, but we've never met personally.

 

Obviously, he attracts all of the opposite sex to him. But I have noticed that there are three specific women he interacts with most, two brunettes and a blond. Obviously, the ones who are chasing him down as we speak. I always wonder what type of relationship he has with them. I know it sounds bad, but I entertain myself with some gossip, something I picked up from my mom.

 

Anyway it's weird seeing them on campus, it's around 8 pm, there shouldn't be any classes by now. As much as I like to find out what's going on, I still have a job to do. Luckily, it's not much to do.


"Man, these ladies sure know how to stay clean." saying while finishing up my snack. I barely had to do any vacuuming. I guess that's why I was able to adapt more easily to working here. I check my watch, "hmm… 9:02, time to slack off." But first, I need a shower.

 

I head to the shower rooms in the gym. One of the many bonuses of being on campus is that there are many resources here. No need to struggle while you're here. Plus, with my 'curse' makes it much easier for me to slip by. I am an employee here, but I chalk it up to my debuff, mostly.

 

Just gotta make sure no one's here. I can take a shower with someone nearby, and they won't notice me, but I don't feel pretty comfortable sharing the room with some stranger. Granted, it's going to be a chick, but I'm not at that level of degeneracy to be checking her out. Believe me or not, I have some standards, which are very thin. Well, nobody here, I'm in the clear.

 

I always leave a set of clothes in one of the other janitor rooms, so after I'm done with the shower, I simply change in there and head to the main janitor room. Simple & easy.


Grabbing the keys out of my pocket, I slid in the main key for the janitor’s closet, pushed open the door, and threw the bag of my personal stuff on the side, and gently laid in bed. My fat-ass has learned a lesson not to jump onto the bed with wooden pallets underneath. They could only support so much weight. Though it isn’t much, this is home sweet home for me, a single bed that takes up most of the space, a mini fridge with my personal necessities, a microwave for those midnight lunching, a T.V that I borrowed (stole) from the recreation center, a mini-fan to keep me cool, and a pretty nice view of the courtyard limited by this small window. Sure, life could be better, but I’m quite content with what I have now. Though, I felt like there is a certain thing missing, like feeling an embrace and warmth from a girl, but alas, that’s just a delusion of mine. It’s not gonna happen anytime soon. I was never meant for that. Eh, I won’t let it bug me down. I'll keep going forward in life, see what awaits me in the future.

4