Chapter 2
117 6 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As time passed, Virion found himself going back to the farm house on his return journey from his rounds. At first it was so he could check on the health of the two girls he’d saved. Despite his age and the trials he’d faced, he’d long had a soft spot for children. But as the months and years wore on, he admitted to himself that he enjoyed watching Dawn and Dusk grow, or at least what parts of it he got to witness.

The fact that half of his return trips usually coincided with her birthday made it harder to stay unattached.

Jason and Miranda quickly acclimated to his presence, and eventually dropped the formal atmosphere they maintained for his visits. They did the best they could for their daughters, though being unable to see Dusk made things difficult for them all. Virion could perceive her easily, his spiritual senses more than enough to make out the shape of her. This meant that the young girl got very attached to Virion, being the only one outside of Dawn who could interact with her, even if only Dawn could hear her.

There was another reason he found himself returning to this family. As Virion stepped into the Alterse family home, sixteen years after he first met them, he was met with a missile of golden hair and sun-tanned skin.

“Grandfather!” Dawn cried.

Despite him not being related to them in any way, both Dawn and Dusk adamantly refused to call him anything else. Both of their parents were stumped by this behaviour, but since Virion wasn’t offended, they decided to let it go.

Dawn slammed into him with all the force of a recently sixteen year old mortal girl, which wasn’t much in the grand scheme of things. Catching her in his embrace, Virion spied the faint silhouette of Dusk just behind her through his spiritual senses. Despite knowing he could see her, Dusk preferred to let Dawn take the lead in interactions, a task she was more than happy to take up.

“Hello girls,” Virion said. “How have you been?”

“We’ve been good. Dusk says she missed you,” Dawn replied.

“Did you now?” Virion said, looking at Dusk, who gave a firm nod. “Well, here I am. Where are your parents?”

At that moment, Jason caught up with his daughter. Time had been kind to the man, though the slight limp from an accident with the plow two years ago was obvious to Virion’s well-practiced eyes. He’d offered to fix the leg completely, but Jason stubbornly refused, saying the Cultivator had done enough. “Ah, Virion, you’ve arrived. Good to see you. Dawn, why don’t you and your sister let your mother know he’s here?”

“Yes father!” Dawn said excitedly, and ran off. Dusk, unseen by Jason as she was, stayed behind, waving to Virion, though she was dragged off by her bond to Dawn shortly after. 

“You as well, Jason. How’s Miranda?” Virion said.

Jason scratched the back of his head. “Well enough, all things considered. She’s still against the idea, but when those girls both have their minds set, you know how they get.”

“Falling Sky is a good sect, Jason, as biased as I am. They won’t be mistreated too much.”

He sighed. “It’s that ‘too much’ that worries us both. Neither of us can stomach them getting hurt.”

Virion placed his hand on Jason’s shoulder. “I know, my friend. But some hardships are important for a Cultivator’s growth. If either of them lack the conviction to overcome their trials, then they won’t make it far past the 2nd Layer.”

Jason nodded. “So you’ve said. Have you found a Path for them? I may not be a Cultivator, but I know she’ll need at least that much.”

“Let’s talk at the table, Miranda will want to hear all this as well.”

When Jason and Virion stepped into the dining room, they found Miranda talking quietly with Dawn.

**********************

“Are you and Dusk really sure you want to do this, Dawn?” Miranda asked.

Dawn didn’t even need to look at her sister to know her opinion. They’d been certain of this choice for years now, and her mother knew as much. She was just worrying for worry’s sake. She nodded firmly. “We are, mother. We want to become Cultivators”

Miranda sighed. “Alright. As long as you both are sure.”

At this time, her father and grandfather entered the room. Dawn knew that he wasn’t actually her grandfather, but it felt right to say, and he seemed to like being called that. It was the stories Virion told her of his life that inspired her desire to become a Cultivator, as it happened. The travels he had, the sights he’d seen. Her grandfather said they both had the potential for Cultivation, if somewhat stunted by their condition. What would have been Dawn’s Spirit, is now Dusk’s, meaning both lack what most would consider a fundamental part of the equation. It wasn’t a major impediment, per se. Virion had told them in the past that some Cultivators choose to focus entirely on improving the body, and others direct their focus to the Spirit.

It’s not exactly a popular choice, but it is a possible path, and for Dawn and Dusk, it isn’t a choice at all. 

They knew they’d have to fight as well, that was just part of what being a Cultivator was about. Dawn was okay with that, and while Dusk wasn’t outright keen on fighting, she had come to terms with it as well.

Her mother turned to the two. “Virion, you’re here. I’ll go get the tea.”

He nodded his thanks and took a seat, Jason sitting beside him. Dawn walked around to sit on her grandfather’s other side. Dusk, being entirely a Spirit, simply levitated over top.

Whilst Virion could see Dusk, even at his level of power he could only see her outline. But to Dawn, Dusk looked like her twin sister, the only difference being their colouring. Dawn’s skin was tanned by the sun, while Dusk’s was pale. Dawn’s hair was a golden blonde, and Dusk’s was as black as ink. Dawn’s eyes were the same vibrant green as her mother’s, while Dusk shared eye colour with their father. Dusk’s clothes were generally the same as well, though usually darker in shade.

Dawn’s mother walked back from the kitchen, carrying a tray with four steaming cups of tea. The cups were handed out to Dawn, Jason, and Virion, then her mother took a seat with her own cup. For the longest time Dusk was jealous of Dawn’s ability to actually eat and taste food, but eventually Dawn figured out how to share the sensations with Dusk, so she was content.

“Well Virion? Don’t keep us waiting.” Jason said.

Virion took a sip of his tea, and said, “To answer your earlier question, Jason, I did find a Path that would serve them both well.”

Dawn restrained herself from cheering. Virion was a 8th Layer Cultivator, and an Elder of the Falling Sky Sect. If he thought the Cultivation technique would suit them, then it had to be really good.

He looked at Dawn and Dusk. “Have you both been keeping up your practice manipulating your essence?”

Dawn nodded, both for herself and Dusk. In truth, it was mostly Dusk that kept her on task. Dawn’s attention tended to wander if she didn’t keep focused, so it was good she was there.

Everyone has essence inside them. For most people, that essence is dormant and thin, preventing them from ever gathering more and taking the first Step on the path of Cultivation. Thankfully, both Dawn and Dusk’s essence is vibrant, though they have less than most. Regardless, it is enough to get started, and once they do they’ll be able to access the Divine Codex, a system the Gods created to help guide Cultivators on their path. Given that essence is, initially, internal, neither Dawn nor Dusk are hindered by their respective issues, so controlling the meager shred of essence they both have is more than doable.

“Good,” Virion said.”This is the Path you’ll be following.”

From a slim pouch at his side, he pulls out a thin shard of crystal, about as wide as two fingers, and half a finger in length. It is split in two halves, one black, the other white. Dawn hadn’t seen one before, but from Virion’s stories she recognised it as an essence tablet. They were used to store information of numerous kinds, from confidential messages, to essence and Cultivation techniques, and even entire martial arts.

“This is called Twin Reflections Dual Cultivation,” he continued.

“I’m sorry?” her mother interrupted, blushing furiously. “Did you just say Dual Cultivation?”

Virion sighed. “Yes, Miranda. It isn’t whatever you’re thinking, I assure you. Dual Cultivation is not restricted solely to… those acts. That is it’s most common form, yes, but Twin Reflections only requires both participants to be… emotionally connected. I think few would be as tightly bound as these two.

“Regardless, soon, Dawn, Dusk, we will go outside into the yard, and I will show you how to access the Path within. After that, you will practice it until you have taken the 1st Step, and no more. Do you understand me?”

Both girls nodded seriously. “We understand, grandfather,” Dawn said.

“Good. Once that is done, you will have time to acclimate to the changes, and get used to the Divine Codex. Then, at first light tomorrow, we will begin to travel to the Falling Sky Sect. Do you have any questions?”

Dusk shook her head, but Dawn asked, “Will it hurt at all?”

“It shouldn't,” Virion replied. “The worst I’ve ever heard anyone getting was mild discomfort for the  influx of new power, though I will be honest with you both. Your condition is entirely unique, so far as I know. There’s no telling how this will interact with your situation.”

Miranda opened her mouth to speak, but Virion raised a hand. “It won’t kill them, and anything short of death, I can fix. Whatever happens, your children will be fine.”

Jason took Miranda’s hand in his. “They’re strong girls, love, and they want this. Who are we to deny them this?”

Resigned, she hung her head. “I know, I know. I just hear the stories, about how Cultivators can fall with a single mistake, and I worry.”

Dusk floated over to her and wrapped her in a hug. Miranda could feel the touch, somewhat. When Dusk touched people other than Dawn, they got an impression of contact, like something only half there. Dawn, of course, could feel her sister completely.

“We can do this, mother. Really,” Dawn said.

Virion smiled. “It’s good you have conviction. It will serve you well. Now then, if there’s nothing else to do, why don’t we step outside now?”

They all agreed, and soon enough Dawn and Dusk found themselves sitting cross legged facing each other in the grass out the back of their home.

Virion held the essence tablet as he said, “Okay girls. To access the Path, all you must do is pull a small fraction of your essence and push it into the tablet. Not all your essence, even what little you two have will prove too much. Simply a small part will do. Given this is a Dual Cultivation Path, and is intended for two people, it will work best if you do it at the same time.”

He handed the tablet to Dawn, as she was the only one able to hold it.

“You may begin when ready.”

Dawn held the tablet out to Dusk, her thumb on the white end.

Ready, sister? she said.

Ready, came the response.

Completely and totally in sync, and with almost no hesitation, both girls injected equal sized portions of their essence into the tablet. Instantly, Dawn feelt her mind almost overwhelmed with the complex array of steps needed to draw in essence from the surrounding environment and infuse it into her core. Distantly, she could feel Dusk struggling under the same deluge as her. Eventually both girls got the new knowledge under control, sorting and arranging it in such a way that they can recall it clearly.

Without waiting to second guess themselves, they began to Cultivate the Twin Reflections.

Dawn cycled the essence in her core, directing it in such a way that it pulls in essence from around her. Once she felt Dusk had the same pattern held, they both began to push the gathered essence into the other’s core.

That is the heart of Twin Reflections. A complete and total giving to the other. It would never work if either party was even remotely hesitant to give up that sweet rush of power flowing through them to their partner, but neither Dusk nor Dawn hesitated at all, and both were rewarded.

They weren’t sure how long they stayed there like that. It could have been minutes, it could have been hours. Time moved strangely in this state, and neither girl allowed themselves to be distracted when they were so close to what they wanted.

Eventually, they feel the power build to a peak, and then it floods through Dawn’s body and Dusk’s Spirit.

Despite being in a seated position, Dawn felt like she had suddenly become much lighter. She could feel the air on her skin with greater sensitivity, her nose perceived new scents, and she swore she felt like she had the energy to run a thousand miles.

Soon enough, the girls got the feelings under control, and they opened their eyes.

And were greeted by a wall of text before their eyes.

Connecting User to Divine Codex.

Connection established.

Registering User.

Error! Conflict detected. Multiple identities registered under User. Contacting Administrator.

Administrator Input accepted. Conflict resolved.

Unique Biological and Spiritual Traits Detected. Forging Bloodline,

Bloodline: Gemini Pact forged.

As a bearer of the Gemini Pact Bloodline, you can act as both participants for the sake of Dual Cultivation. This means you receive the benefits of both sides of Dual Cultivation Paths, and your Cultivation speed is significantly increased. However, Cultivation resources will now have a greatly diminished effect if they are not specifically tailored for you.

Body has taken the 1st Step on the Path of White Reflections. +4 to all Physical Stats.

Spirit has taken the 1st Step on the Path of Black Reflections. +4 to all Spiritual Stats.

Dawn stared at the messages, not fully believing what she read. In a daze, she willed the Divine Codex to display her Profile.

Name: Dawn|Dusk Alterse

Stage: Foundation

Core Layer: 1st

Step: 1st

Essence: 0/8

Essence Affinity: Force|Illusion

Bloodline: Gemini Pact

Cultivation Path: Twin Reflections Dual Cultivation

Physical Statistics:

Power: 4|0

Finesse: 4|0

Endurance: 4|0

Senses: 4|0

Spiritual Statistics:

Power: 0|4

Finesse: 0|4

Endurance: 0|4

Senses: 0|4

Dawn gaped at her Profile.

“I… we, have a Bloodline,” Dawn breathed.

 

If you want advance chapters of my work, then you can go to my Patreon here. 

4