Chapter 6
55 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dawn raised her hand.

“Ah, good. Come along then,” said Elder Castir.

“It’s not that, Elder. I had a question. My sister and I are physically incapable of getting more than a few feet away from each other. Is it possible for us to be tested at the same time?”

The Elder blinked. He glanced over Dawn and Jasmine, and then his gaze settled on Dusk, who had been glancing at Jasmine oddly.

“Oh, I see. The two of you would be the Alterse twins, then?” he asked.

“That’s correct, Elder.”

“Very well,” he said. “It’s good we were given prior warning of your situation, it makes things much easier. If you’ll come with me, we’ll get you sorted out. The rest of you, I’ve explained what you must do. Approach a table, and do as the examiner says.”

Dawn turned to Jasmine, grinning mischievously. “Will you be able to fend for yourself for a few minutes, my Lady?”

Jasmine scoffed.

“I’ll manage just fine, thank you. Get going, you dirty peasant.” Though harsh, her words were not heated.

Dawn cackled as she walked away, Dusk in tow, who waved to Jasmine as she passed.

She’s warming up, Dawn said.

Yeah. I think you should be careful, though. Something feels… off about her Spirit.

Dawn frowned slightly. In what way?

Like it’s fragile. Like it was damaged in some way, and is struggling to put itself back together. She’s on the 1st Step of the 1st Layer, same as us, but I feel like it was higher than that once. I think it might be missing pieces.

Is that possible? Can people lose their Cultivation like that?

How should I know? I barely know more than you do.

“Is something the matter, disciples?”

Dawn was snapped out of her introspection by Elder Castir’s voice, who was standing in front of her.

Drawing on what little scraps she remembered of formality from Virion, she bowed slightly and said, “Apologies, Elder. Dusk and I were discussing a private matter, and I got lost in thought.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Were you now? And how did you manage that, without saying a single word?”

“We can speak through our minds, Elder. In truth, it is the only way Dusk can talk to others at the moment, as she lacks a mouth to do it herself.”

“Fascinating. Regardless, you are here to have your potential tested, and your suitability for Falling Sky Sect measured. Follow me.”

Elder Castir led them to one of the tables on the far end, this one lacking an examiner behind it. On the table was a wide crystal disc, carved into ten concentric circles. The crystal was murky and dark, with a strange depth to it.

“Now, I understand the Divine Codex has you both placed under the same Profile, so you will have to do this at the same time if we are to get a clear result. Both of you place one hand on the Scanning Stone.”

“How did you know about our Profile? We only gained access to it shortly before we left to come here.”

The Elder looked at her impatiently. “There are ways to send messages long distances, though not all can do it. Your hands, disciples.”

The two girls laid their hands on the center of the disc.

After a few tense moments, the crystal lit up from within, like a distant light could be seen through it. Slowly, the light grew, expanding outwards to fill up the innermost circle carved into the crystal.

When the light expanded to fill the first three circles, the Elder nodded slowly. When it filled the next three, his eyebrow raised. When it eventually filled the three after that, his expression turned guarded, and he opened his mouth, about to speak, when the tenth, outermost circle lit up.

He stared at the disc, like he was silently daring it to go further, despite it having filled to completion.

“Congratulations are in order, disciples. 10th Layer potential is a rare gift. You would do well to ensure it is fulfilled. Regardless, welcome to the Falling Sky Sect.”

The moment he finished speaking, Dawn saw a message from the Codex.

You have been accepted into the Falling Sky Sect. Sect Profile now established.

“Sect Profile?”

“Of course. The Codex has other functions beyond guiding the growth of a Cultivator. Your Sect Profile allows you to keep track of your ranking in the Sect, your contribution point total, as well as access the Sect’s Rulebook. Furthermore, anytime you are challenged or make a challenge, the Codex will now mediate the duel, provided both parties are members of the Sect.”

“That’s amazing.”

The Elder smiled. “Indeed. Now then, you both should go wait over there while the other disciples are being examined. I expect good things of you girls.”

He directed them both to a waiting area by the side, currently empty.

Once they had made it to the waiting area, Dawn and Dusk decided to look at their Sect Profile together.

Name: Dawn|Dusk Alterse

Sect: Falling Sky Sect

Rank: 579th Outer Disciple

Contribution Points: 100

Huh. We already have some contribution points. I wonder what they’re for? Dawn said.

We’ll probably find out soon. Dusk replied.

“What are you two doing?”

Dawn’s gaze snapped up, to see Jasmine, clearly having finished her own examination, staring at her and Dusk quizzically.

“Just looking at our Sect Profile. We already have some contribution points, what do you think they’re for?”

“They’re like a currency, in a way. You use them to pay for certain things, such as equipment or resources, or in some cases private lessons if you need them, though I understand they get expensive. You can get points in a few ways, such as duels, but the most common is through the Task Hall. The Sect’s various masters and Elders pay contribution points for completing certain tasks listed in the Hall, and inner and core disciples can post tasks as well. What?”

Dawn was looking at her with an eyebrow raised.

“The question was rhetorical, I didn’t think you’d actually know. How do you know that?”

Jasmine looked mildly uncomfortable. “Father made sure I knew everything about how Sects worked before he let me come here. He believed it would help to know.”

“Huh. Well, he wasn’t wrong.”

Silence reigned for a moment, before Dawn said, “So how many points did you start with?”

“Hang on.” Jasmine’s gaze turned distant, like she was looking at something that wasn’t there. Then promptly buried her face in her hands. “Oh, by the Gods, Father. Why?!”

“What is it?” Dawn said, concerned.

“Take a look.” Jasmine gestured to Dawn, and a Codex message appeared before her.

Name: Jasmine Carnadine

Sect: Falling Sky Sect

Rank: 580th Outer Disciple

Contribution Points: 3000

“Um. What.”

Jasmine spoke, voice muffled slightly. “Father must have made a ‘donation’ to the Sect, after I specifically said I wanted to succeed on my own merit. He knew I’d refuse, but went ahead and did it anyway.”

“I honestly have nothing to compare that to, but in the face of our hundred it feels like a lot,” Dawn said.

“To put it in perspective, what you have will get you 6 hours in a 1st Layer Cultivation chamber. For most, that is guaranteed to move them up a Step, and for others it simply means a large amount of progress.”

“Oh.”

After a few moments spent breathing into her hands, Jasmine calmed down, and when she released her face Dawn saw not a trace of her previous distress.

“Right. I know how to deal with this.”

Dawn opened her mouth to ask what she meant, when another Codex message presented itself.

Outer Disciple Jasmine Carnadine has offered you 1450 Contribution Points. Do you accept?

Dawn gaped at the message. In the back of her head, Dawn could feel Dusk making a similar expression.

“What? Why? We only just met, we barely know each other. There are probably so many things you’d be better off spending this on, why are you giving this to us?”

Jasmine looked vulnerable for a moment, but she quickly firmed her resolve and grabbed Dawn by the elbow. She then proceeded to drag her, and thus Dusk, off to the side, away from any possible eavesdroppers. “Dawn, as absurd as it is to say, you and your sister are quite possibly the only people here I know personally.”

“Huh?”

She balled her hands, and continued. “Members of noble families, particularly families like mine, don’t let their children attend court until they turn sixteen. The only people we are allowed to interact with are our direct family, the household staff, and our tutors. Outside of that, it is very rare for us to come to know anyone else, and it is suffocating. Then you come along, and not only do you simply not care who I am, but the first thing you do is offer to help, and as far as I can tell that was a completely genuine offer with no ulterior motive.”

Dawn was nonplussed. “That’s… because it was? What’s so hard to understand about that?”

Jasmine chuckled hysterically. “I know. I was taught how to read people by some of the best in the Empire. Either you are an actor on par with my tutors, who were all Cultivators of the 6th Layer, or I can only assume you were being genuine. Do you have any idea how rare that is for me?”

Dawn stayed silent. Jasmine was rapidly beginning to break down, and some people were starting to look their way.

Dusk, can you-

I got it.

The last three points of essence in their pool drained away as Dusk wove an illusion around them. Dawn could feel Dusk stretching her will, in an attempt to get it to at least block sound from passing through.

With a squeeze, stretch, and almost visceral pop, Dawn felt something snap into place, and a dome of blurred light appeared around them. Silence was all that came from the other side. At the same time, Dusk dispelled her [Phantom Clone], giving them a semblance of privacy.

Jasmine continued on, having not noticed.

“Out of my entire family, the only one I know I can truly trust is my Father, and even he will act in what he believes to be my best interests, not what I want. I’m the youngest of 12 children, guess how we all look at each other? As competition. We are, from the day we are born, encouraged to rip and tear away at each other until all that is left is just one. Heavens above, I’m certain it was my eldest sister that-”

She stopped, her voice catching on whatever it was she was going to say.

“Nevermind. Let’s just say that I’m not exactly here by my own choice.”

“Does it have to do with why your Spirit’s so messed up?” Dawn asked gently.

Jasmine’s face snapped up. Dawn could see tears in her eyes, on the verge of breaking free.

“How did you-”

Dawn smiled faintly. “I told you before that Dusk is pretty perceptive. She’s just a Spirit Jasmine, it’s all she is. How do you think she sees the world?”

“Her spiritual senses,” Jasmine whispered hollowly.

“That’s right. She couldn’t pick out specifics, and I won’t ask, but she knew something was up.”

Jasmine stared into empty space. She didn’t seem to be processing anything, just looking off into the distance.

“Hey. Jasmine, hey, look at me, come on.”

Dawn grabbed her by the shoulders gently, snapping her out of her daze.

“Do you want me to introduce you to my grandfather? He’s a pretty skilled healer, maybe he can help?”

Jasmine stared at Dawn incredulously.

“You don’t even realise, do you?” she whispered.

“Realise what?”

Jasmine looked around, finally noticing the illusion around them.

“How much leverage you have right now. Do you know that the mere chance to meet him is the whole reason I came here? Virion is one of the most skilled healers in the Empire, and he almost never leaves the Falling Sky Sect. Father did everything he could to get him to heal me and we’ve heard nothing. Not even a response. Joining the Sect was my only chance to fix what happened to me and you tell me you can take me to him, just like that?”

“Well, not just like that.”

Jasmine tensed, as if waiting for some dreadful ultimatum.

“I could use a friend.”

And just like that, Jasmine dropped to her knees.

“You would help me, take me to my best chance at salvation, and you just want my friendship?”

Dawn got down on her own knees, wrapping Jasmine in her arms. “You’ll learn pretty quickly that I’m a simple kind of person, Jasmine. I don’t need riches, and I’d rather earn my power myself. Using people as tools disgusts me, and I look at you and I see someone who needs help. In light of that, what else is left?”

Her only response was to break into tears, though whether of relief, stress, sadness, or a combination thereof, Dawn couldn’t say.

If you want advance chapters of my work, then you can go to my Patreon here. 

2