Chapter 8
119 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dawn and Dusk were pretty happy with their room, all things considered. It was slightly bigger than their room back home, with a decent sized window looking out onto the training field. There was only the one bed, which suited their needs just fine, and a dresser against one wall where Dawn could put her meager belongings. She dropped her pack at the foot of the bed for now, as she planned to sort it out properly later, and flopped on her back on the bed.

So. Here we are, she said to Dusk, who was ‘sitting’ on top of the dresser.

Yep. Just a month of training until we’re officially full members of the Falling Sky Sect. Excited? She replied.

You know full well I am. I have a good feeling about this, Dusk. I really think we can become something great here.

‘A good feeling’ you say? Like you have a ‘good feeling’ about Jasmine? Dusk had one side of her mouth quirked up, a grin restrained.

Dawn waved her away. Lay off, it’s not like that. Look, it’s as clear to me as it is to you that that girl desperately needs someone she can put some genuine faith in. I’m not saying that’s me, but grandfather said we should make a friend, and as callous as it sounds, we’re in a great position to make one in Jasmine. Her being pretty was never a factor.

Dusk let her grin bloom, knowing she had touched a nerve. Sure, sure, whatever you say. Her grin faded, turning pensive. That being said, you should be careful. I told you before that she felt fragile, but now I have a little context I think it might be worse than I first thought. I can’t say for certain, but it’s entirely possible the damage is bad enough that she can’t risk Cultivating.

How sure are you?

Dusk shook her head. Not at all. This is the furthest we’ve ever been from the farm, and I’ve never seen anyone with a damaged Spirit before, let alone something that extensive. I could easily be wrong, but my gut tells me it’s bad.

Dawn hummed under her breath. Well, we need to ask her about that attendant thing she mentioned, sooner rather than later, so maybe we can find a way to ask about that too if we can manage not to be too rude. Any idea if now’s a good time?

Dusk turned her gaze to Jasmine’s room. They had been lucky, with two rooms being right next to each other in the middle of the hall. The walls weren’t an impediment to Dusk’s senses, though she suspected the Sect hadn’t bothered with placing any protections given the residents were supposed to be completely new to Cultivating. It wasn’t her fault that they failed to account for someone like her.

I think so. She looks like she’s just sitting on her bed, maybe trying to calm herself down from earlier? Either way, should be fine.

Dawn nodded and began to get up. Any chance you can replicate that trick with the sound? We might want to keep this as private as we can.

Dusk flushed. Um. So it turns out that wasn’t me manipulating sound. Apparently I had accidentally made a very weak Force barrier, attuned specifically to block sound. We were very lucky no one tried to poke the barrier, a particularly determined fly could have breached it.

Dawn blinked. Oh. Yikes. Yeah, that was lucky. Still, do you think you can do it again?

Well, we got a bit of Essence back, so maybe, but I’d feel safer if we could wait a few minutes, just in case.

Good plan.

Not knowing what to do, Dawn decided to sit back down on her bed.

Not even two minutes passed before Dusk exclaimed, Oh gods.

What?

Jasmine’s Spirit just flared with Essence, far more than she can hold. Something may be wrong.

Panicking, Dawn leapt off her bed, making straight for her door.

Okay, she’s bleeding the excess off with a manifested flame, so maybe she’s okay? Dusk didn’t sound completely sure, but hearing that Jasmine might have it under control calmed Dawn slightly.

Stepping out of her room, Dawn turned to Jasmine’s room to the right. Just before she managed to knock, Dusk said, Alright, it looks like it’s settling down, but whatever it was that just happened, her Spirit did not like that.

Nodding, Dawn waited a few moments before knocking.

A short wait later, the door opened slightly to reveal Jasmine’s flushed face, sweat beading on her brow and temples.

“Everything alright?” Dawn asked quietly, “Dusk noticed something happen with your Spirit.”

Jasmine paled faintly. “She… she noticed? Did anyone else?”

Dusk?

Don’t think so, no. To be honest, I don’t think anyone here knows how to use their Spiritual senses all that well. That one ‘middle noble’ Jasmine didn’t like, his Spirit is a little more developed than the others, but at the same time it feels weirdly hollow? He’s on the other end of the hall anyway, I can barely sense him from here.

“You’re clear.”

Jasmine let out a breath of relief. “Good. People will find out eventually, but the longer that takes, the better.”

“What exactly happened?”

Jasmine’s face turned conflicted for a moment, before she sighed and said, “You’d best come in.”

Dawn stepped into her room to see it was completely identical to her own.

As Jasmine closed her door behind her, she said, “Is Dusk able to do what she did earlier? With the sound?”

Dawn nodded. “Yeah. We should sit against the wall between our rooms, the less space she has to cover, the longer it will last.”

“Not the most dignified, but it’s a good idea.”

Dawn snorted, then sat down with her back to the wall. When Jasmine sat next to her, thighs touching, she shuffled over slightly to make a little space.

Dusk?

One moment.

Dawn felt her sister pull on their shared Essence, all of nearly two points having recovered since she’d emptied their reserves. A moment later, a faint shimmer snapped into place around them in the shape of a dome.

Jasmine reached out a hand to examine the barrier, but Dawn blocked it.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you. Dusk says it’s a weak Force barrier attuned to sound, the slightest touch will break it.”

Jasmine looked slightly confused. “Force? I thought she used illusions?”

Dawn nodded. “We can share our affinity, with about half efficiency. I’d make the barrier myself, but without a Spirit I can’t project my Essence much past my body.”

“Body Cultivators have that problem as well. It’s the price they pay for higher than normal physical statistics, along with later benefits.”

“Such as?”

“Another time, we’re getting off track. You asked about what was happening with my Spirit.”

“RIght, yeah.”

Jasmine took a steadying breath.

“You’ll have to forgive me if I don’t discuss what actually caused the damage, but as your sister noticed earlier today, my Spirit is severely broken. What she likely didn’t notice, is that the damage extends to my Core.”

“Oh,” Dawn said dumbly, “damn.”

Jasmine nodded. “Indeed. This comes with a number of consequences, chiefly being that I cannot push my Spirit too hard, my senses with it are nigh useless, my Core leaks Essence constantly, and if I attempt to Cultivate before I can be healed, it will shatter under the pressure.”

Dawn stared at Jasmine, stunned.

“It also doesn’t help,” Jasmine continued, “that if I let my Core run out of Essence, the damage becomes permanent.”

She chuckled mirthlessly.

“What your sister noticed, was me using an Essence Stone to refill my Core, then burning off the excess, so to speak.”

“Holy shit. With damage that extensive, how did you convince your father to let you come here?”

“He was… occupied with matters that required his immediate attention, and none of our family’s physicians could do anything about it. I was not exaggerating when I said your grandfather was my only hope. There was also the fact I really needed to get away from my siblings before one of them found a way to make it permanent.”

“What? Surely they wouldn’t do that?”

Jasmine sighed. “Oh, not all of them, no. Not even most, really. My eldest sister on the other hand, Melandia, has never liked me. She didn’t take it well when mother chose me to learn her Techniques. Not that I can use them now.”

They sat in silence for a moment, before Dawn said, “Is it even safe for you to be here? If you can’t Cultivate…”

“Once I can see your grandfather, I’ll be fine. I just have to last this month. Besides, Elder Castir definitely noticed my condition. Even as frankly astounding as Dusk’s skill with her senses is, there’s no way she’s better than a 7th Layer Cultivator. He won’t push me too hard, not enough to make things worse, anyway.”

“Okay, if you’re sure.”

“However… do you remember what I said earlier? When I was covering up our reasons for hiding our… discussion?”

Dawn nodded. “Something about me being an attendant?”

“Right. So, there are certain… expectations, for those in the upper class. As much as neither of us might like it, it will reflect poorly on my family if I were to spend my time with a commoner without good reason. One such reason being fostering a relationship with someone of noteworthy talent. It’s too soon for people to believe that of you, but if we make it seem like you had approached me with a request of vassalage, it becomes more plausible.”

“I see, I think. But what’s that got to do with your condition?” Dawn asked.

Jasmine’s expression became serious.

“I am guaranteed to be challenged to a duel. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, or even this week, but regardless, it will happen. Especially after the others have been taught how to use their Spiritual senses. They will see I am an easy, and possibly lucrative, target, and they will take advantage. Maybe not all, but as I am, even one fight at the wrong time could prove disastrous. What I need of you, at least for now, is to act as my champion. If people believe you to be a probationary attendant, it’s much more believable than if I had picked someone at random.”

“I’m sorry, you want me to do what?” Dawn said incredulously.

“Act as my champion. At least until I’m able to defend myself. What this means is that whenever I’m challenged to a duel, you’ll be the one fighting in my stead.”

“Is that even allowed?”

Jasmine cocked her head. “You haven’t read the Sect’s Rulebook on your Profile yet, have you?”

I have. Dusk said. I gave it a skim whilst you were talking, didn’t want you to think I was eavesdropping. In the section on duels, it says that any disciple whose physical or spiritual condition would prevent them from being able to apply their full ability, or those whose abilities lie solely in non-combative areas, may select a fellow disciple to take their place when challenged. They must be of equal rank in the Sect, and cannot be more than 30 places higher or lower on the rankings. It has to be arranged before the challenge is made, and the champion has to be compensated in some way. Usually a portion of whatever contribution points that would be won. Apart from that, it’s pretty straightforward.

“Dusk has, apparently. She just explained it.”

“Good,” Jasmine said. Her gaze turned slightly vulnerable. “What do you say? Will you do it?”

Dawn took the time to consider it. She had never been in a fight before, so she had no idea how well she’d do. When she actually thought about it, though, something about the idea intrigued her. She could see herself standing between Jasmine and the people who tried to harm her. It tickled the part of her that fantasized about the glamorous life of a travelling Cultivator, protecting innocents from Essence beasts, evil Cultivators, and even Demons, as fanciful as the last may be.

Dusk?

I’m okay with it. It sounds like she’d be in some trouble if we turned her down.

“Fair warning, I have no combat experience, I may full well be completely terrible at it.”

“Your grandfather gave you an Essence tablet with a martial art, did he not?” Jasmine replied, “As expensive as they are, it will be more than enough to teach you what you need to know.”

Dawn nodded hesitantly. “In that case, sure, I can be your champion.”

Jasmine smiled brilliantly. “Wonderful. Just a moment.”

Her eyes lost focus briefly, much like Dusk said Dawn did when looking at her Profile. A moment later, she received a Codex message.

Jasmine Carnadine has offered you a Champion contract under the Rules of Falling Sky Sect. The conditions are as follows:

  • You will take Jasmine Carnadine’s place in any duel she participates in for the minimum period of 1 month
  • You will receive half of the contribution points Jasmine Carnadine would should you win, and lose half the points Jasmine Carnadine would should you lose
  • If you should lose more than three duels in a row over the course of a week while acting as the Champion of Jasmine Carnadine, your position will be revoked and you will be fined 500 contribution points
  • To ensure both parties are invested in the partnership, both you and Jasmine Carnadine will be shown the other’s Codex Profile

Do you accept?

Dawn swallowed thickly. She hadn’t expected anyone to find out about her Bloodline so soon. Virion had warned her that she had to keep it hidden for as long as possible, or certain people would take advantage of both her and Dusk.

Potentially misinterpreting Dawn’s reaction, Jasmine almost frantically attempted to reassure her. “I tried to make it as lenient on you as possible, but the way the Sect has it set up, there needs to be a consequence to failing in the role.”

Dawn shook her head. “It’s not… it’s not that.”

“Then what?”

Dawn turned to look Jasmine in the eye. “Can you promise me something?”

Confused, Jasmine nodded hesitantly.

“Don’t tell anyone what you see on my Profile.”

Before she could respond, and before Dusk or herself could make her change her mind, Dawn accepted the contract.

Champion contract accepted. Displaying contractor’s Codex Profile

Name: Jasmine Carnadine

Stage: Foundation

Layer: 1st

Step: 1st

Essence: 5/5 [Error: Core Damage Detected]

Essence Affinity: Fire

Sect: Falling Sky Sect

Bloodline: ***den Pho**ix [Error: Data Missing]

Cultivation Path: Birth of Flame Cultivation

Physical Statistics:

Power: 2

Finesse: 2

Endurance: 3

Senses: 3

Spiritual Statistics:

Power: 6

Finesse: 4

Endurance: 5

Senses: 3

Techniques:

  • [Manifest Flame]
  • [Emberdance]
  • [Burning Raiment]
  • [Lash of Cinders]

Arts:

Martial

  • Flameweaver’s Way: 4th Form

Spiritual

  • N/A
If you want advance chapters of my work, then you can go to my Patreon here. 

2