Chapter 1: Monster…
189 5 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day that changed everything for me started like any other day. I woke up, screaming at the top of my lungs like usual. This was a normal routine. Though my protector, Nene, came running into the room to embrace me.

Lately, nightmares were a constant plague. Luckily, most of the time I could not remember what the dream was, but it was painful to wake up from them. It was like my heart was torn out of my body each time my eyes startled open.

Though Nene’s embrace was one thing that soothed me. Her beautiful brown locks and brown eyes made me stay in awe of her every time she held me close to her bosom. She always kept me safe.

No… Nene was not my mother. Sadly, she died before I ever got to have a memory of her. Dad was a traveling warlock that came home rarely. Well, he attempted to make it back at least once a month, to see his beautiful girl, me.

Even so, it was usually only us, which was alright with me. Nene was all I needed, after all. She was in her early twenties too, which meant she started caring for me when she was only fifteen! Unbelievable, right?

I was only three years old when she raised me. She was so responsible. I could never picture caring for a baby at my age. I was twelve at the time. It made me wonder if in three years I would become dependable like her. Highly doubtful…

Then again, Nene was my idol. After, she calmed me down. She reminded me that Dad was coming today to visit. The moment she announced it, my mind quickly forgot everything that had to do with that silly nightmare.

Even though the sun was not out, I got up to get ready. Like always, Nene grabbed my clothes for me to wear. Unable to stay still, I gazed outside the window to see the same old village. We had been here all most of my life.

The sky outside allured me though. It was so blue and vast. I had an entire world to explore. A soft smile rose on my lips, desiring to fly like the birds. They were greeting the sunrise with their beautiful melody.

Ah, it’s dawn.

Somehow, I always was up by this time. Unlike the pretty birds that roamed free in the beautiful deep blue sky, I could never leave the house unattended. Or even play with other kids. Not that there were any in this village, to begin with.

This place was full of old folks instead of young ones. Nene was the youngest one other than me. Not that I minded. The reason we were in this tiny off-the-map village was that there were some bad people after us.

So, to protect me from danger, Dad stashed us away, hoping they would never find us. These bad people wanted to hurt me to get to something I only possessed. This was never explained to me, though.

Nope, I did not know why these bad people wanted what I had. Dad told me it was better if I did not know. All he wanted was for me to be happy. But sometimes I wondered why they wanted to hurt me.

Fortunately, I was happy. This was my little piece of nirvana. I wished they would never find me. After all, I was satisfied with the way I was. All I needed was Nene and Dad in my life.

“Vivi, come. I need to get you dressed,” Nene tapped her hand on the chair near the dresser.

All my clothes lay there, ready for me. With brief hesitation, I jumped off from where I was, running to her happily.

“Yes, Nene.” I hummed, smiling.

The tone in my voice caused her to hug me tightly. Her brown orbs showed pure affection towards me. Love was not something I ever missed because Dad and Nene showered me with it.

“You’re so adorable, Vivi.” My protector simpered.

I continued to hum a song I heard from one radio in the neighboring house. Usually, when Nene help me dress, I felt like a doll. But today was a special occasion because Dad was coming back!

I had to look pretty for him! Happiness always gushed out of me at this time of the month. I wonder what gifts he would bring me. When Nene finished with my clothes, I had on a pretty white blouse with brown shorts.

“What do you think Daddy will bring me this time?” I hummed, allowing her to brush my long, black, and wavy hair.

I inherited the waves from my father. Though his hair was blond. Most importantly, he usually brought me sweets from around the world. Sometimes accessories and toys too. My favorite though was a brooch I would wear all the time.

It had a stone that was the same color as his eyes. It was one of a golden dragon, holding a beautiful blue diamond in its claws. Ever since I was five, he gave it to me and told me to wear it at all times, which was something I always kept.

That was when he started to travel more often, too.

“I don’t know, sweety. He’ll probably bring you some chocolates from Raman.” Nene chirped.

Our lives were always peaceful and full of joy. I mean, sometimes she would scold me for doing something bad or if I hurt myself, but other than that. Everything was peachy!

“Isn't that the Sun elven nation? I haven’t had those in a while!” I gushed, happily remembering how they tasted.

I did not know why, but I could not help feeling amazing every time I woke to the moment I closed my eyes. Even if I had nightmares, every morning I would bounce back to myself in a matter of a few cuddles from Nene.

“Yum! I can’t wait!” I hummed, unable to stop my positivity.

 It made Nene giggle in response to my shine. I gazed at myself in the mirror to see my beautiful emerald green orbs staring back at me.

Nene’s right, I’m cute!

She always said I got my features from Mom, who I sadly never got to meet. But I was a daddy’s girl deep down, anyway. I was proud of my waves because of it! I wondered if he would hug and kiss me today too when he saw me.

The last time I saw Daddy was a month ago. He was always busy with work to come to see me more. What did he work as? I did not know. He never told me what his job was like. But sometimes he would bring a beautiful elven woman along with him.

But she would send shivers down my spine, even though her beauty was one of a kind. She treated me nicely. Though I always ended up hiding behind Daddy, who did not mind me avoiding his partner.

The elf had grey eyes and lavender hair along with tanned skin. Her name was Lilith. Even though she had a chilly air around her, she would always bring me perfumes to try. They always smelled so lovely.

Though Daddy never let me get too close to her. Through all that beauty, she seemed off. But to me, it seemed like if she was sad or lonely. Even so, I never had the guts to approach her on my own. She only ever came around with Daddy, too.

Once I asked Nene if the elf would be my new Mom. But all it did was make Nene die of laughter.

"Lilith with master Cain?" Nene giggled, shaking her head.

She then told me that was impossible. Nene would never allow me to be alone with Lilith, too. And I did not know why. Or cared, really. All I wanted was to see Daddy. He promised to take me out today to a neighboring village, which was a rare treat.

I wished I could have Dad’s beautiful blue eyes and golden wavy hair. Well, instead of the ones I had. Though mine were pretty too. But… I wanted to be closer to my father in every way possible.

He also seemed to have not aged a day through the twelve years that were spent raising me. After helping me get dressed, Nene headed into the living room, where a breakfast feast awaited me. She had already been up before I screamed, making my food.

Nene was always too dedicated to me. My nightmares were like clockwork. So, to combat them, she would make my favorites to start the morning with a blast. Munching into my food, I enjoyed the pancakes with fresh strawberries topping them.

I thought today would be a great day.

“Nene! Will we go out to a neighboring village today?” I asked, chewing on my food.

It caused Nene to chuckle, enjoying watching me eat. She always said that I made her cooking seem like it came from a famous restaurant, which to me it was. Nothing would ever beat her home-cooked food. Not even the exquisite treats Dad brought from his travels.

They were not made with the same love.

“Later, when your dad comes, Vivi.” Nene smiled.

Knocks came from the door, triggering her quickly to glance towards it. We were not expecting anyone this early, and Dad said he would be here in the afternoon. He was usually punctual.

“Odd…” Nene mumbled to herself.

Hesitantly, she got up when more knocks erupted. I had never seen her act this carefully. She grabbed a black pouch from the shelves next to the door before answering it. Behind the door was a tall lady with black hair and red eyes.

She had a scar on her face. But even so, her beauty was also apparent.

“Yes, how may I help you?” Nene asked, relaxing a bit.

The woman locked eyes with me, gazing into the room quickly. It was not long until she settled her eyes on my protector, who seemed wary of the woman that stood in front of her.

“Hello, pardon the early intrusion, but I’m currently looking for someone. And I heard she might be near here. She goes by the name of Lilith. And is a wanted fugitive.” The lady that seemed to be a vampire took a picture out that I could not quite see.

I was curious about who she was looking for, though. It was more interesting than the food in front of me, too.

Lilith… is she looking for my dad’s partner? Or is it another one?

The gods only knew how many Lilith there were out there.

“Sorry, I don’t know who that is.” Nene lied to the woman, triggering the lady to pull out a card.

My curiosity was overwhelming me, though. I got off the chair, slowly walking up towards them.

This woman was a vampire. I could tell because of her beautiful red orbs. Nene told me once that only Lycans and vampires could have them. And this one did not have fluffy ears and tails like other wolves. So, she had to be a vampire.

I had seen a few from afar when they passed by the village, but this was the first time I was near one.

“I see, well if anything changes. My name’s Tania. Please call me if you see her. She’s very dangerous. I’ll be here in the village for the next few days.” Tania announced, slightly bowing down to Nene.

The lady was so formal that she resembled royalty. Ones I had only seen in stories that Nene read for me. Without even realizing it, I got closer towards the door. The vampire was so pretty that it allured me. She also looked so tough that I wanted to grow up to be just like her.

“Yes, I will. Thank you for letting me know.” Nene tried to bid farewell, not noticing I had already gotten close enough for Tania to spot me.

The moment she did, surprise clearly showed in her eyes. She never expected to see a child here. I guess when we lock eyes; she did not see me. It only made me wonder what she was looking for. Surely, it was not me.

Of course, back then, I was too young to understand much of what happened.

“You’re so pretty, vampire lady.” I complimented, in awe of her.

I did not think her eyes could go any wider, but there they were. Though weird, Nene’s eyes did the same. Instead of surprise, there was an unfamiliar emotion within hers. A second later, she shoved me back inside.

It was the first time she had ever done that to me. And it startled me. My shoulder ached because of it, too.

“Vivian! Go to your room! Right now!” Nene scolded loudly.

I did not know what I had done wrong. I rubbed my arm, gazing at her with teary eyes. Though Nene’s eyes were full of anxiety.

“It’s alright. No need to punish the child for a compliment. She surely meant no harm. And it was nice to hear.” Tania worried over Nene’s response, gazing back at me.

I was shocked by what happened, but I stayed silent.

“You royals aren’t welcome in this home. I’ll call you if I see the person you’re looking for. Otherwise, I need to tend to her. Excuse me!” Nene huffed, closing the door at the pretty lady's face.

The moment she turned around towards me, her expression somewhat scared me. I had never seen it on her face before.

Did I do something wrong?

“Nene…?” I called, trying to hold back my tears, fearing I did something I should not have.

“Never come to the door like that, Vivi. That was one of those evil people your dad told you about.” Nene’s voice quivered before she embraced me soon after.

Her body trembled, trying to find her footing. All of this confused me.

Tania… doesn’t look evil.

If anything, her eyes seemed tired. Even so, I nodded slightly. It triggered Nene to sigh, pulling away from me.

“After you’re done eating, go to your room, okay? I need to call your dad to see what we’ll do.” Nene informed, pulling out a crystal from her pocket, placing the same pouch she picked up back on the shelf.

Twisting the crystal, Nene turned it on. She headed towards the back room of the house, closing the door behind her. My eyes slumped towards the floor, heading back to eat. Nene never acted that way before. She would use that room to speak to Daddy through that special item that he gave her to use.

I could never use it to call, though. Nene said it was only for dangers.

What happened was an emergency? Had Tania found out about us? Will she use me to hurt Daddy?

Sitting back down, I took a bite of the left-over pancake to realize it lost its luster. I even got full before even finishing the plate, which was unusual for me. Releasing a sigh, I gazed towards the room where Nene was. A faint blue glow came from the bottom.

Unable to do anything else, I did as Nene told me to do. I headed into my room, laying on my bed for what felt like a couple of hours. By then, the sun was already up in the sky. The birds and villagers got ready for their day.

All I hoped was that dad would get here earlier than planned. The moment that thought passed through my head, I heard Nene stumble outside in the living room, rushing towards something. Worried she might have fallen and hurt herself like many times before, I opened the door to my room.

There, I spotted Nene trembling where she stood.

“Nene, do we have a visitor? Is it daddy?” I asked, peeking from my door.

It caused Nene to startle because of my voice.

Is it the vampire lady again? No…

Nene was not this scared when the other lady was there. She was more angered and ready to fight than this time.

“No, Vivi, it isn’t your dad, but please stay in your room, okay? I need to pack some things. We have to evacuate.” Nene informed me from the door.

Her voice was off. I stood by the door to my room, unable to understand what was happening.

Evacuate? Why do we need to evacuate? Is there something happening?

Nothing like this ever happened before.

Why isn't Daddy already here?

An awful feeling set in my belly. For the first time, I felt upset and fearful.

“You should do this as fast as you can. The beast can be here in around thirty minutes.” The woman outside the door announced.

It was not the same lady. Her voice was unique and sounded annoyed by Nene’s reaction to her. Thought it was alluring to me too. Something was telling me to run to her, but Nene's words were keeping me planted where I was.

I would not move to be yelled at again.

“Is that all? If so, thank you. I’ll get out of your hair right away.” Nene tried to close the door on the random lady, but she suddenly held it open, preventing it from being closed.

This seemed to annoy Nene, who wanted nothing to do with the woman trying to push her way in.

“Is everything okay? Do you need help with anything?” the lady questioned, concerned by Nene’s behavior.

I tried to peek to get a better look at who it was. For a slight moment, I got to see her face. She had beautiful purple eyes and silver hair with brown horizontal stripes in them. Another beauty that descended into our village.

It was the first time I ever saw anyone like her, too. The air on her was slightly different, too. For a moment, I thought our eyes locked, but Nene pushed the lady out before anything came out of it.

“Everything’s fine. You just need to leave!” Nene yelled at the woman outside of the door, slamming it on her.

“Fuck!” a curse left my protector's lips under her breath, grabbing the same pouch from before.

There she stopped for a second before running to me. My heart felt like it dropped when she grabbed me by my arm, dragging me out of my room. She hauled me to a door by the back of the house before kneeling, grabbing both of my shoulders in her grasp.

“Listen to me, Vivi. We can’t wait for Cain. We have to move now." Nene huffed, leaving me shaking my head.

A sunny morning had turned into a nightmare. I for the first time did not know if I was awake or asleep.

"What?" I mumbled, stunned to understand what was happening.

That was when Nene smiled bitterly at me. In her eyes, I was all that mattered.

"You’ll run straight ahead without stopping. Do you hear me? Even if I fall, even if I can’t continue with you. You run until Cain finds you.” She smiled, hands trembling.

She kissed my forehead lovingly, too. I felt a pop in my heart. For a moment, I stayed quiet while she fixed my shoes, placing a black hooded cape on me. She made sure it fit me well before opening the door, revealing a forest that surrounded us.

That was when reality sank in. Fear... The first time I ever felt true dread. Yet it was familiar.

“No… No… Why?” I tried not to cry too loudly.

I knew that would only trouble Nene, who was already crumbling. Even though she was terrified, she pushed forward. Pulling out a deep blue orb from the pouch, she trembled once again. Her breathing was unsteady, too.

“Promise me, Vivian!” Nene huffed, trying to steady her nerves.

Again, I caused her to raise her voice towards me. In her eyes, I was her number one priority.

“Yes!” I sobbed, tears trailing down my cheeks.

In her hands, she held the blue sphere, gazing towards the door where the woman last was.

Is all of this happening because of her?

“Good girl. I love you, Vivi.” Nene smiled bitterly again, throwing what she had in her hand towards the other door.

Immediately after, she grabbed me by the hand, yanking me towards the forest. We used to go to it at least once a week. She liked to fish near the river there. Though, this time, it differed from every other.

A blue light shined behind us before a loud noise soon followed. It was like wood snapped. Though it came with a nasty roar. However, even though more scary sounds erupted, Nene did not glance back once.

No, she stared straight towards our path alone. We headed towards where the borders met, at the river. It was between Celnaer, the vampire nation, and Arthion, the human nation. Shrubs after trees, she pulled me along like a rag doll.

I tried my best to keep up with her fast movement. Sadly, it was not long before we ran into a complication. A big steep hill stood in our way. Usually, we would use a rope to climb down to reach the river, but in our hurry to get out, Nene forgot it.

We had to climb it slowly. A slip was hazardous. Even so, Nene tried to take a few moments to think about how we would get down safely. I held onto her hand tighter, seeing her try to analyze our situation. Suddenly, she yelped in pain, quickly letting go of my hand.

Instinctively, she reached for her arm, revealing where she touched stained red.

Is that Blood?!

At my twelve years of age, I knew things like that. Though I had yet to have my first cycle. Sadly, there were many things I was naïve to. Especially for my power. Even though it had awakened in parts, I could not use it.

My father prohibited it. Too dangerous for me, he called it.

“Shit!” Nene cursed, turning towards our attacker.

She stood defensively between us, leaving me to cower behind her. I followed her glare to see the vampire lady from earlier.

How did she…

“So… I was right to suspect you. Are you working with them?” Tania coldly questioned Nene.

It triggered us to take a few steps back, only to meet the cliff. There was no escape. Nene had not accounted for the female vampire watching us when she did that last attack. A mistake...

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. We were running from the beast, that’s all.” Nene tried to stand strong, though her hand trembled.

I gazed in between them, holding my hood tighter to myself. Unable to help it, I glanced down to the destination we had to take.

If I slip and fall... I’ll...

The tension in the air rose, leaving me feeling like I would crumble under it.

“Don’t pretend to be dumb. I planned to make you bait for that elf, but it seems those plans were ruined. I already knew you were an eternal witch from one villager.” Tania scowled at us.

“I had to drag it out of them, but that was the simple part. They saw you stopping time when the girl was crying over a bird that was dying.” She announced, triggering me to shiver.

Nene… didn’t do that. It was me!

Yet my fear kept me from speaking. Another familiar feeling was growing within. One I did not remember knowing before.

“Your little girl doesn't have to suffer if you come quietly.” The vampire followed with.

Nene chuckled, causing the angry lady to narrow her eyes.

“Ah… So, they saw that? I thought I had been more careful." Nene scowled at Tania, who did not flinch at all.

Nene… Why are you lying?! It wasn’t you!

I wanted to speak. Yet the fear was too much again. A knot had formed in my throat. It was almost as if something compelled me not to speak. Survivor instincts, I guess.

The day in question was the last day I was allowed out of our house unsupervised. A dying bird had caught my attention, triggering me to go to it. I did not even realize I stopped its time, furthering its suffering.

I trapped it in eternal pain, without even knowing it. Luckily, Nene was around. I guess the villagers thought it was her. In reality, she lacked the power to do that. Most of my kin could not even freeze time for themselves, let alone another.

"Come clean and your little girl doesn’t have to suffer." Tania offered a way out for Nene by appealing to her motherly instincts.

Though my protector knew better than to trust a vampire.

"She isn’t my child. Though that doesn’t matter. Do you expect me to believe a lie like that? From you out of everyone here. Please, I know better than to trust a bloodsucker like you." Nene gibed, taking a soft glance at me before quickly returning it to the vampire.

The entire time, I was shaking where I stood. Fearing both the fall and what the woman would do to us. One more step and it would be the end of me. Yet there was no other way but down.

"I never agreed with the hunt of your kin. I can bring the girl to a family that’ll accept her for who she is. Of course, your fate is different. Unless you work with me to find those monsters." Tania clarified her offer.

All it did was cause Nene to shake her head and smirk. All fear left her eyes when my protector realize what she had to do.

"Well then, that’s even less reason for me to follow along with your plan,” Nene announced, extending her hand between me and her.

“Very well. I tried to be nice. But I grow bored of trying with your kind. Don’t play with me, witch. I’ll kill you and the girl if you don’t tell me where Cain and Lilith are!” Tania snarled at us; nostrils flared.

Her red eyes were full of hatred when she said those names.

Cain…

It was my dad’s name.

What did they do to deserve such hatred?

Nene peeked down to see me terrified. This vampire was the scariest one I had seen. Well, the only one I ever saw up close. There was also a new feeling that was swelling within me.

The emotion that wanted to erupt was worse than when I had my nightmares. Knowing there was no escape from the female vampire, who seemed intent on catching us. Nene threw a few of those orbs that were on the pouch onto the ground in front of us.

Picking me up in her arms, she tossed us into the air. A blue light blinded me soon after. The only thing I could feel was Nene holding me close to her. Before I knew it, we were in freefall. I felt air flush through my hair before it all ended with a loud thud when we hit the ground below.

Once on the ground, Nene release me from her grip. That was when I found myself safely nested on Nene’s bosom. She had protected me the entire way down and was barely conscious anymore. Blood pooled from her head on the grass under her.

Cuts and rips were all over her body, and dress from falling against the tree branches. I did not know what was wrong with her, but it did not look good. At this point, I still did not know what death truly meant.

Even though it was something I experience with the bird. Nene put it out of its misery when she took me inside. She probably did not know I was watching, but I did not feel bad about it. Much like the bird, darkness was falling in her eyes.

They seemed heavy, and it scared me. More tears trailed down my cheeks when I reached for her dress.

“Vi… vi…” Nene softly spoke.

Roars came from the top of the cliff we had been on moments before. They were not like anything I had ever heard before today. Yet similar to the one when we ran out of the house.

“Nene!” I cried, stuffing my face into her chest.

Her warmth still radiated to my skin.

Ah… I have to move. I have to be brave. But…

Shaking my head, I slapped my face, trying to shake away the emotions that were trying to confuse me. Taking a deep breath, I attempted to help her up, only to fail at lifting even one arm. She was too heavy for my little body to handle.

Bloodstained my clothes and skin with every try.

“Go… Vi…” Nene slurred her words.

That was when I realized the same red substance that dripped from her head. It was coming from her lips, too. I was unaware that she had multiple broken bones, and a fractured skull. There was no saving her with the power I currently possessed.

But I… wanted to. I needed to save her. She was my protector. My Nene. Luckily, my powers were still too dormant for me to manifest them willingly. The brooch also kept them in check. It was why my father gave it to me.

Yes, the incident happened when I was five. His words also were recent on my mind.

Don’t use your magic for anything, he said.

“No!” I cried, trying to help her up, only to hear her scream in pain because of my action.

I had only made it worse. It triggered me immediately to stop trying. I gazed at my hands. They were warm and wet with fresh blood. In her hand was the pouch she had used to store the orbs. She pushed it to my chest lightly.

“Live… Vi…” Nene breathed.

I grabbed onto her hand, only for it to fall limp soon after. Her eyes turned cold, and her pupil dilated fully. A moment burned into me for an eternity. Tears continued to rush down my cheeks.

“Nene!!! Nene!!! Please! Don’t leave me!” I cried.

Inhuman noises continued to roar above me, triggering me to gaze up to see a shadowy monster’s blue eyes. It felt like they pierced through me from the top. Never in my life had I been stared like that before. It wanted to eat me.

My protector’s words played in my mind when I immediately got on my feet, running at full speed away from it. Blindly, I bolted through the forest, trying to erase the images burned into me.

However, Nene’s light dimming and the beast’s lustful gaze on me stained my mind. The only thought that crossed my mind, tumbling my way through the forest, was...

Why did this have to happen?

At this time, I did not know I was headed towards a fateful encounter. One that would change the lives of two young boys forever. All I knew was that there was a clearing in front of me. And that I needed to get to the other side of the river.

It was not long before I ran into a group of kids playing by the river’s edge. Gazing behind me to see if I saw the beast, I slammed into one of them. It caused us both to tumble down onto the floor. We fell in such a manner that I was straddling him.

I tried to hold myself from falling into him fully. Luckily, the sharp rocks did not dig into my skin. No, he protected me from that. My hands were firmly planted on his chest.

“Ouch! Watch where you’re going!” the boy complained.

His voice was so soft and alluring. Yet I grabbed onto my hood, refusing to gaze at him. From where I was, I could only see his chest rise and fall. For some reason, his voice froze me in place. Even though I knew a beast was coming for me, I could not move from where I was.

Why... do I feel like I belong here?

I felt safe.

“See, Loki! This wouldn’t have happened if you listened to me! Ma’s going to be angry with us!” another boy sighed next to us.

I did not know what to do anymore. My body trembled, trying to control my emotions. I had to figure out what my next move was. And if that thing was still following me. I last saw it by the cliff.

“Shut up, Oz! We barely ever get out! This is better than staying under Flora's constant oppression.” The boy named Loki snapped at the one named Oz.

A snake-like thing slithered down to his belly. It gazed at me. Though before we could lock eyes, I glanced away. It was black with blue eyes like the beast that was chasing me but instead of scaring me. It seemed utterly adorable.

Perhaps it was the size. It also had wings spreading from its body. If I had not been scared, I would have scratched its little head. But we were not alone too, I could sense other people with them. I was too scared to look up to see who they were.

Will they want to hurt me too?

“Hm, do you enjoy that girl being on you, Loki?” a girl teased the boy I was on, triggering him to click his tongue.

He glared at me. Even though I could not see it, I felt it. His eyes were piercing right into me.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing? Get off me already!” Loki snapped.

The sharpness in his voice caused me to get up right away, trying to bolt away from them.

“Wait!” the boy named Oz unexpectedly grabbed onto my bare hand, preventing me from running away.

The sudden touch caused me to feel throb throughout my body. A second later, the boy let go of my hand, gasping for air as if he were in pain. I turned around to see what was happening. There I saw the boy with white-silver hair grabbing onto his chest tightly.

Is he okay?

A cat, much like the snake from before, was in front of the troubled boy. Shockingly, it gazed back at me. It had folded ears and a curled tail. Another adorable thing, if only it were not under these circumstances.

“Hey! What did you do to my brother?!” Loki questioned, grabbing me by my other hand.

That was the moment his blue eyes with a purple squiggly circle in his iris met with mine. The moment our skins touched, another pulse coursed through me. At that moment, the boy's orbs widened. Red markings became visible in the skin around his eye.

It was almost as if his eyes became suns where the flames erupted in his skin. Soon after touching me, he freed me to grab onto his chest tightly. He was gasping for air, too. Again, I did not know what was going on with them. He also had white-silvery hair.

The black hair Lycan girl ran towards the boys, followed by a little boy with silver hair with black dots. He was also a wolf. Their fluffy ears and tail easily identified them. These two had crimson eyes.

A small girl with silver hair and a tail stood on the side with another smaller Lycan boy with the same eyes and hair as her. I did not know, but she was a hybrid between a Lycan and a human.

The same as the woman I glimpsed the house before Nene, and I ran. Even though I should have been concerned over the boys that were clearly in pain. My eyes were locked with the fiery blue eyes that were coming from the forest.

Oh, no! It’s useless! I can’t outrun it!

My legs instinctively gave out when the beast emerged from its hiding place. It was a shadow demon, one with a feline face and body. Though it was nothing like the one next to the boy. I had read about them in one of the many articles that came by the house every morning.

Nene also told me about them once. She also said if I ever saw one, to run the other way as fast as possible. They were worse than the bad people after me. But my legs refused to listen to me anymore. I soiled myself in fear when the sudden noise from its paws hitting the rocks erupted.

It caused the other kids to gaze towards it. They became as filled with dread as I was. Loki and Oz seemed to be in their world, though. They could barely handle what was happening to them. I was unaware of the changes I provoked on the boys at the time, too.

“I found you, little book.” The beast snickered, gazing at me.

I trembled right where I was. It could not care less about the kids that stood around me. No, it eyed me down like I was his savior. I did not know what it wanted from me either.

Book? What book?

I had none. However, before it could take another step closer towards us, it suddenly burst into purple flames. With blinding speed, the woman from before Nene ran stood there with a sword drawn. Relief washed over the kids’ faces.

Yet I stared at the one who had begun all this madness. She held a device in her hands. If it was a tracker or not, I was unaware.

“You fucking brats! I fucking tell you to stay in one place…” the woman stopped in her tracks upon spotting me.

“Ma!” one kid called out to her, but her purple orbs were glued on to me.

In a split second, her expression changed from bewilderment to pure anger when she saw the two boys in agony.

“You!!!” she yelled.

Her eyes glowed when she did so. There only was pure indignation in her orbs, though. The only thing that snapped her gaze from me was Loki’s scream of agony. Something was sprouting from his back.

Shock filled us all when two wings drenched in blood erupted from him. It seemed I could not get enough of that red liquid today. At that moment, my flight or fight mindset kicked in again. Another mistake…

The moment I tried to run. The angered woman with silver hair with brown strips slammed me to the ground. How she closed the gap between us was unknown to me, but she pulled me up by my locks.

My feet could not touch the ground. It hurt.

“What the fuck did you do to them?!?!” she snarled, growling soon after.

I only felt fear.

Why did I ever want to get near her?! She’s crazy!

“I-I didn’t d-do anything, p-please!” I cried.

It was the same hatred as the vampire. Only that this time, it was directed at me.

“Rem… please. Calm down,” a man voiced from behind us, triggering her to turn towards him with me in her grip.

It was a black-haired Lycan. His crimson orbs gazed at the woman who held me captive with such gentleness. It caused her to lessen the hold on my hair, clicking her tongue.

“Alijah, she…” Rem trailed off, conflicted.

He shook his head, trying to reason with her.

“I can see it too. It’s even more reason not to hurt her.” The wolf pleaded with her.

The kids that were not immobilized ran to him, fearful of everything that was happening. They gathered like little ducks. It caused her to gaze back at me.

“No! This monster will tell me what the fuck she did to my boys!” Rem growled.

I felt a sharp pain in my heart.

Monster… why does it sound so familiar? Am I one? Is it me who is causing these two pain? I did... didn’t I?

This was the bird all over again. I did not know how I did it.

“I-I didn’t m-mean to! P-please! Let me go!” I cried, trying to plea for mercy.

Rem did not see my tears as genuine. No… to her, I was pretending to feel this way. I did not even know how to feel anymore. The emotions that swirled within me conflicted with one another. Anger, pain, fear, and sadness all in one.

Unfamiliar emotions I had not felt in combination until this day. Yet, once again, they were so familiar.

Why…

“You didn’t mean to?” a soft crackle left her lips.

There was no mercy for me.

“Please! Everything you touch, you destroy! Didn’t you know? If there had ever been an abomination on this earth, it would be you!” she scowled.

At that moment, I felt her animosity towards me. Even though I did not know what I had done to deserve it. It must have been something bad. There was no way for anyone to feel like this for no reason.

“I-I’m s-sorry!” I wept.

I caused Rem almost to snap at me again. The only reason she stopped was that a new presence made itself known.

“Enough!” a voice I yearned to hear erupted from behind me.

I turned towards it slightly to see my father standing there. He seemed flustered and out of breath.

“Daddy!” I cried.

Rem clicked her tongue, narrowing her eyes.

“What the fuck!? Daddy?! You?! What the actual fuck, Cain?! You’re the fucking books sperm donor!?” she growled unhappily about the interruption.

Dad shook his head, sighing.

“If you don’t release her. Your brother back at the village will have a few missing limbs. Well, if I don’t make Lilith retreat soon. We know how much of an issue she is.” He warned.

Rem glared at him even more intensely than she did at me when she heard the elf’s name. In an instant, she let go of me, allowing me to fall to the ground. The impact caused me to slice my hands and knees on the sharp rocks below.

Ignoring the pain, I tried to take a few steps towards Dad. Instead, I suddenly found myself again on the floor, only this time by Loki. He stared at me with eyes I had never seen before. His wings were spread wide, too.

I felt like a lamb caught by the big bad wolf. He grabbed onto my injured hand before bringing it to his lips. When he licked the wound, it caused me to wince. A second later, Rem pulled him off me. Before I knew it, Dad picked me up in his arms, too.

Rem’s expression burned into my mind, though. It was the moment. I realized she truly hated me. That she truly believed I was a monster. In her eyes, I was something that could not exist. Her words would replay in my mind even when time again flowed towards our present day.

I never forgot the boys I met that day, either. Although I would lie if I said I remembered their faces anymore. Even though our fates were linked, I tried to not think of them. It did not matter, though.

I no longer was the girl that they met that day. No… I realized I was someone who would never be loved. Something despised and hunted by everyone who knew of my existence. Even so, I wanted to live, because even though the world was ugly and scary.

It was also a beautiful thing to be experienced. However, I was no longer the innocent girl. No… My hands had been covered in blood since way before Nene. I just did not know it yet.

A new start to the end. I hope you all enjoy it!

3