Chapter 35: Destiny…
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Taking a step back, much to my surprise, Loki took one forward. I went to grab him, only for him to push me back towards the elven Lilith. Instinctively, she grabbed hold of me, knowing I could not follow where he was going.

I wanted to scream his name, but my voice failed me. On his way out, Zephier jumped on his shoulder, soon to be followed by Oswald. The only two the gods could not kill if they wanted to capture me. My two protectors? But who would care for them?

Rem and Alijah? I…

Without looking back, the two boys passed Fenris and Lilith, who did not stand in their way. I did not know their expressions. But it seemed like there was something more between the two and the god in front of them. Much more than I realized.

“Chronos… I didn’t think I would get my swing at you so soon.” Loki announced, triggering Alijah and Rem to gaze towards the two boys.

“Loki, what are you—” Rem could not finish her question when the god landed on the ship.

We were sitting ducks out in the open, too. This ship was not a place to fight these beings. Only one of us could fight in the sky. Chronos inspected the two boys who approached before snickering.

“Oh? I haven’t felt this aura since… Elias? Is that you? Oh ho, it is you!” the red hair man smirked, pleased by what he found.

“Yama isn’t here to protect you this time.” Loki hissed, blood surrounding him, triggering a blade to form in his hands.

These two had a past, one I did not remember or did not witness. All I could recall was that he took Elias and Zephyrus away. After that… I knew nothing else. Yet it terrified me where I stood. In the conditions we were in, only Loki could fight.

This ship was tiny compared to the other ones used for transport. Though, that alone did not worry me as much. No, what did was that it was a matter of time until...

“You think, Yama’s the reason I killed you?” Chronos huffed, crossing his arms, unimpressed by Loki’s assessment.

“Want to find out?” my vampire asked, voice full of an emotion I had not heard him have.

Rage… Chronos burst out laughing, shaking his head, shrugging soon after.

“Hah, I know I can’t kill you. But I can dismember you. Well, parts of you.” He smirked.

Shivers ran down my spine the moment those words left him.

“How about you come try?” Loki challenged.

The god laughed, triggering Rem to run between the two.

“No, both of you get back!” she ordered.

Chronos was having a field day with us. Or was he stalling? There was no way to know. Either way, I could not go out there. I did not know if he knew my binding, or if Yama had kept it all to himself.

“Oh? Fenrir, you can’t protect anyone. Haven’t you learned your lesson?” Chronos chastised her.

“I’m not Fenrir anymore!” she snarled, turning towards him.

He was playing with them. I had to move, yet my legs refused to listen. Seeing an actual living god in front of me was too much for me to handle. I knew better yet my fear.

Pathetic…

This one was nothing like Metnir. The aura that left him was much more than I could withstand.

Yama’s second hand… Eh? How did I…

“Oh… right, you’re a mortal. A downgrade, isn’t it?” Chronos snickered.

“Rem be careful. Alijah! Don’t use too much power. He’s a god of chaos.” Zephier warned from Oz’s shoulder.

Though she was ready to pounce. Sadly, the only one who could truly fight in these conditions was…

“I know.” Rem sighed, readying herself.

They could not use their chaos-based powers against him without causing a synergized event. Much of what claimed Ben’s life back in the battle against my mother. Lilith always insisted that was an accident. And it was.

There was no way for these mortals to know what would have happened. Well, back then.

“Aw, Valdios restricted? Heh, it’ll be fun killing all of you again. I told Yama he was too merciful with you Fenrir, but I’ll fix it.” The god announced, observing them.

Alijah growled, taking a step back from the fight. His immense power could have been the downfall of us.

“Merciful? What kind of joke are you going on about? He was…” Rem bit her tongue to prevent her from continuing.

That memory was not one she wanted to relive. Even if it was from another life.

“Stop looking at her. Your fight is with me.” Loki hissed, sending a blood spike towards Chronos.

Catching it in his hand, the god smirked. “Very well, come at me, Elias! I’ll remind you why I’m called the god of nightmares.”

A second later, it seemed the god was gone, and so was Loki. The next moment I saw my beloved was when he crashed against the god, who held his blood sword in his hand. It was like a play toy for him. A sight that made my stomach turn.

Though Loki was no pushover. His effect on emotions could very well have been his greatest weapon. But to do so, he had to have skin contact with the god. Rem shifted to her wolf form. Though in the place we were in, she was helpless to help Loki, who had taken to the air.

Alijah ran towards us, ordering us to the lower decks. Thea argued with him, not wanting to listen and leave them behind. Chaos was erupting all around us. Oswald cast defensive and offensive spells to aid his brother.

The warlock was walking a thin line, as witchcraft was mostly chaotic. One wrong spell at the wrong time would… Witnessing all of this. My legs refused to listen to me. Even as Alijah wanted everyone away, I could not move.

It was pathetic, but watching my vampire fight against a divine left me unable to think straight. I wanted to help, but all I would have done was put a bigger target on our heads. The elven Lilith grabbed my shoulder, telling me to move.

I had to get away, but I could not tear away my eyes from Loki. Eli and he were working as one. Chronos was on the defense, but any wrong movement could have cost Loki a limb or more. It was why Eli was taking most of the blows.

“Vivian! We have to move!” Lilith yelled at me, shoving me towards the side.

It was the only thing the elf could do to tear my eyesight away from there. That was all I needed. Hitting the wall snapped me out of my delusions. Though she was not done with me.

“Get a hold of yourself! Remember what Cain said! Don’t let them win no matter the cost!” she reminded.

I stared at her as another explosion came from the same engine side. My body shook where I was.

What if the cost is too high? I can’t lose them!

The moment that thought crossed my head, it felt like time stopped for me.

What the fuck am I thinking? A cost too high? I… have already lost so much… Yet too high? What the actual fuck? Vivian… there isn’t a cost too high to live through this! Do what you must do to survive!

Shoving the elf aside, I ran down the halls. Passing by Alistair, I kept running, with no actual goal in mind. All I knew, I had to get away from the entrance before Yama found me. I did not care who followed me, either.

All of this is hopeless! I… I need to… think!

Though it was not long until I realized there was only one thing left to do. That was when I stopped and turned towards another hall. Running towards destiny, the radios around the ship flared.

Uh, guys! Weird golden beasts are coming straight to us!

The announcement stopped me in my tracks again. Shifting, I turned towards a window nearby to see a hoard of those beasts coming our way. It was the children of gods that were left over during the war. And they surrounded us like wolves circling their prey.

These beasts were also what made up most of the population of the soul cairn. Where there were one-hundred gods, there were millions of these. And thousands were coming towards us. Upon seeing them, Lilith took a step away from where we were.

Zoe and Alistair were with us, too. I had not paid attention to notice them following me. But the next words said would shake me.

“Baby girl, it seems it’s time,” Lilith announced, gazing at me lovingly.

I tore my eyes back into her. On her lips, she wore a gentle smile. My expression said everything that I felt. Pure confusion.

“Come now. You must know why your dad risked his crystal instead of mine.” She pointed out, shaking her head.

I gazed at her, slowly realizing what she meant. I had heard she could open the gate with the help of a witch. It was what she did the day my mother died. Of course, the gate closed the moment the witch died. Edna herself.

However, with Dad, she created spheres. It was like the ones Jin and Oliver had stolen from the coven. Zoe, who was quiet while Lilith spoke, dragged a bag out of her breast pocket. It was one of those pouches my father used to hold the spheres.

“Your dad gave me this a few hours before he…” she stopped, shaking away the tears.

My father was well-loved by everyone in the coven. They knew if he did something; it was for the best out of all of us. Of course, they also knew he would give the world for me. I felt brittle. Yet the moment I saw that bag.

A crazy plan formed in my mind. One with little chance of working. Yet it was the only move I had.

Is this how the world tests me? Dad… can I do this?

“I didn’t mean to keep it from you. But Cain told me to not tell anyone when he gave them to me. I think he knew what would happen. So, I’ll fight too. Just escape!” she assured, steeling her resolve.

Get a grip, Vivian. Don’t let anyone else… Shit! Stop trembling! This isn’t different from when I faced Jin. Don’t be afraid! Move! Fight! And don’t lose the war.

Everyone was doing their best, and I had to catch up. I promised my father to do what was necessary. And for that… Taking a deep breath, I hugged Zoe, causing her to drop the bag on the floor.

Some orbs rolled out, causing me to help her pick them up. Luckily, they needed an intent when throwing them to activate them. So, the fall did nothing to them. Lilith sighed, telling Zoe to hurry.

Time was running short for everyone. Grabbing the bag from the floor, I handed Zoe all the orbs I had picked up. Well, all but one that I had slipped into my bra.

“Hey, Shrimp, take her below where she’ll be safer,” Lilith spoke to Alistair, who was utterly baffled by his nickname.

“Shrimp?!” Ali huffed, surprised.

I gazed over at him, wondering how I would slip away from him. What I needed to do, no one could follow me. This path was for me alone. Lilith grabbed onto my shoulder, triggering me to gaze at her.

Did she notice?!?

“You need to hide until there aren’t any more bodies left to fall for you. Hopefully, that witch, warlock, and I will hold them off. And hopefully, the demons will work for us, too. But those two have their limits too.” She declared, not sugarcoating a single thing.

She was never one to lie to me. It was like telling me they would all die for me. And that was okay. But it was not. It was far from it. From outside the window, I could see blood forming structures all around us. This was so everyone could have ground to walk on in the air.

Loki…

Hours ago, he was under me, kissing me. This man also had limits. They were all mortals in the end. Our final battle was here, and there was no way of winning. Caden failed to bring back the crystal in time, too. Not that it mattered.

We did not know if he was alive anymore. Yet no one was willing to give up. We would fight until we could not anymore. Not even pregnant Rose, who I saw trying to help the engineers earlier. They were all… striving to survive.

I nodded, triggering Lilith to smile. Picking up her lavender hair into a ponytail, she glanced over to Zoe, who nodded too.

“Well, baby girl, if we don’t see each other again. I hope you, out everyone, survive this.” She turned around without giving me a chance to feel her exact words.

There was nothing left to say but to go towards our end. Everyone who was fighting outside would not go out for naught. I would make sure of it. Watching them disappear into the distance, Alistair grabbed onto my hand.

“Come, Vi, let’s go,” Ali declared.

I shook my head, pulling my hand out of his grip.

Pressing my hand into his chest, I  smiled.

You go, I mouthed.

“What?” he mumbled.

There was no way I could go to where the others were. All nonessential crew was downstairs in a bunker of sorts. That was not a place where I could go. It would only create a target on their backs.

Though, while I wore the necklace, my father gave me. My aura was suppressed. So, I could hide within them. But for how long? And how many more would I lose? No… I had to gamble. We did not win wars by running away.

No, we needed an army. I grabbed onto the eldest prince's cheeks, making sure he was watching me.

Protect those who can’t.

“Vivian… I can’t leave you.” He countered; eyes full of conflict.

It was about to be morning, too. I had to hurry. Loki’s powers would dampen the moment it did. Alistair would also be…

Go, please, go. Trust me, I mouthed.

His eyes glossed, triggering me to simper at him. Pressing my forehead against his, I felt like chuckling.

How silly was I to think of you as my enemy? I love you, Alistair. And my love will give you the power to protect yourself. And everyone around you. Well, if everything works out the way, I want it to.

Of course, these words I kept to myself. Though a soft nod came from him, leaning into my affection. Letting go, I watched him go towards where everyone else was. Not losing a moment more, I ran towards Rem’s room.

It was the only place I thought she would hide my mother’s grimoire. After a couple of days of being on the ship, I learned its layout. So, finding her room was easy enough. Though much to my surprise, it was open when I tried the door.

Alijah and Rem must have rushed out. Not letting it bother me, I closed the door behind me. Luckily, the book was out on her bed. The two must have been talking about it before the alarm flared.

Caden was Rem’s brother. And now he was missing. It made me wonder if they regretted that choice. Not that it mattered. Shaking that thought away, I reached for the book. There I stopped before I touched it.

Is this really the only way?

An explosion quickly snapped me out. Grabbing it in my hands, the moment it touched my skin, the lock snapped open. It seemed we were wrong about what it needed. All it wanted was my touch. But we could not have risked it earlier. Even so….

Fuck! All of this time wasted!

Irritation soon filled me. Sitting on the bed, I opened the grimoire, only to notice it was utterly empty. It only had one sealed letter in it. Edna wrote it to me. Opening it, I read it hoping to find anything to help us.

Dear Vivian,

You must have asked so many questions until this point. I’m sorry I can’t be there for you. Yes, I sealed all your memories away. I thought about giving you all my life’s work, but then I realized that none of that would help you. You need nothing other than yourself, my love.

You’re perfect the way you are. I knew it the moment I got to hold you in my arms. God, your cheeks are so pink even though you’re so tiny. My adorable baby girl. I gave you the body you deserved.

Though, I was surprised to see you were born a girl. I always thought you were, even when you were in that book. Anyway, I digress. You must be so shocked to see this letter in my grimoire and nothing else. This was intentional.

I erased my grimoire with your magic before sealing it up with these thoughts. Right now, you are next to me, sleeping so soundly. And I’m going to use the last of our bond to finish this. You don’t need to learn my hateful past, present, or anything about me.

I won’t be here when Cain gives you this. The only thing I can do is ask for your forgiveness. I know you wanted me there, but life isn’t fair. Even so, I hope you had a childhood full of love and care.

Though I know being what you are. It’s only a matter of time until you’re brought into the adult world you now find yourself in. My only true love, you’re the one thing I wished I could see grow. How I wish to be there for you right now.

Sadly, for you to survive, I couldn’t stay. I’m sure your dad already explained everything that has to do with the twins. It’ll be your job to protect them. And I know you will. There isn’t a doubt in my mind that you’ll change their future. You might even find something there, too.

After that, what comes after is all on you. No one else can change this world as you can. I hope you find a love to dance with. And a person to share everything you need to. At this point, I want you to experience everything this beautiful yet cruel world offers.

Live, survive, and thrive, Vivian. That’s all I’ll ever wish for you. The only light I ever found in this world. No one will ever change that. You know that, right? Even when everyone looks down on you. Or calls you things you aren’t.

Even when you lose everything, and everything seems bleak. You’re this world’s only light. I know that you’ll change it in ways never seen before. I will always love you, even when death claims me. That will never change.

By the gods, seeing you next to me makes me realize how beautiful you are. You always were, weren’t you? The best thing that this world did was for us to meet. I’m so glad I got to see my promise fulfilled. No, I’m glad you became my daughter.

With my death, your memories were sealed. So, I hope you know I had to go. It was my goal to have you live your life as this new person you have become. And I know you’re the strongest woman ever to walk this land. It’s a feeling I had ever since I met you. I knew you were special.

There’s something else you should know, though. This world’s going to end in a matter of years. It was already starting with the tears of the soul cairn. You didn’t cause this. No, the gods during the war were the source.

These beings that shouldn’t exist ruined the one good thing they ever made. Anything you do to save the boys isn’t the reason the world ends. Nothing you do is. This was all of them. Fenrir, breaking the rules and coming to this world, also broke it further.

No, the balance broke the moment Yama destroyed the cycle of death. If you do something, and it causes the end. Know it wasn’t you. This was what the world was meant to be from before you were even born. It was why you always predicted the end of everything.

To save this world, only if you wish, you must create a new one. A power that only you possess as your divine mother was Aster and father was Orenz. How you’ll accomplish that, I don’t know. But for that… I’ll break the seal on your memories the moment you finish this. I hope you’re happy, my love.

I really hope your father and Lilith gave you what I wanted. Even though Lilith is a loose cannon. Don’t trust her blindly, my love. But know, she’ll never harm you. As you’re my hope, and she adores me.

Know that you were my northern star, who guided me through this dark world. I was happy when I was with you. And more when I kissed your forehead for the first time. Thank you for bringing me joy and love once again.

Your loving mother,

Edna

Dimittis

In that instant, I felt a snap. It triggered me to fall onto the bed. Memories rushed through me in a blink of an eye. It was not painful at all. No, I felt warmth. Her love for me filled most of the void that was my memories.

Edna… I remember you.

Tears stung my eyes when I recalled every moment I spent with her. For eleven thousand years, she kept me close to her. Even when I overused my power and fell asleep. She was the first person ever to love me.

Why… did you make me forget you?

My heart stung as the ship swung. I knew I had to move, but memories were overflowing. I never knew what she planned. No, she always kept me in the dark. And I, like a fool, trusted her.

My wish… killed you. I’m so sorry! I wish… I wish I never made that wish!

Back then, all I needed was her. All I wanted was to smile with her. To spend my time with her, but the moment that thought passed through me. Loki’s face rose in my mind. In those moments, I pictured everything so clearly.

He isn’t replaceable. And neither was she.

My love for her was so different from what I felt for him. Parents were not meant to stick around forever. But the one we loved the most would. At least for most of their lives and ours. In normal terms, at least.

Is this why she did this? So, I would have a life and learn what it means truly to live? So stupid…

Yet I could not rid myself of the emotions I felt for that vampire. They were overpowering anything else.

Loki’s right.

We had a connection back before I even knew what it was. The moment he touched me, he heard me. Yet I did not realize it. Then Yama came into mind. He was so clear now. The god who wanted me as nothing more than a slave.

A tool to be used on a whim. I no longer was the defenseless being that he held back then.

Because of him, all of this happened!

Those amber eyes always seemed dead when he held me, too. Though, what caused me the most displeasure was how the gods tried to rip my pages once. It hurt so much. I thought breaking that curse was the worst pain I ever experienced, but no. It was this one.

Especially being helpless to stop them. I could not understand what they were trying to do. Until this moment… After having lived it. The emotion… My eyes widened when I realized the frustration on their faces. It was moments before Yama claimed me again.

They couldn’t… Oh…

Edna bound me the moment she took me out of that prison made to keep gods away. Her blood was…

Oh, fuck! That’s why…

Fenrir did not know my binding spell. In fact, none of the gods in my memories did. Every time, who used my power was Yama. He was the only one to chant my incantation, which was not made with words.

No… all they needed was a name.

The reason I bound to him… To Edna… was because they were being of duality like me. All he needed to do was splatter his blood on me to bind me. Just like when Edna’s bloody hands gripped me for the first time.

If that was the case, then…

Loki can use me! No… that’s a bad idea. He’s a mortal boy.

The only reason Edna could use me was that she trained herself to speak with the gods. She was chosen by Aster too. A vessel for us to use. And even then, my power affected her in ways I could not understand.

My powers coursing through my vampire could drive him insane. Or worse, destroy his body, much like my body did when I tried to kill Metnir. My power had grown beyond the point where any mortal could use me.

No, I could not rely on anyone else for this. Though, in theory, all mortals could use me. That alone was dangerous. It was a good thing Jin did not know back then. All he needed to do was command me.

Wait… didn’t he? Oh, wait… was it me who created the Amor Aeternum bond, or was it… Damn it…

This was not the time to think of such things. And this was all a theory. I did not know how they bound me. And it did not matter. I needed to act. Sitting up, I stood up from the bed. Gazing down at the empty book, I shook my head.

There was nothing other than my memories in there.

All up to me? How will I do that? Mother… that’s cruel. Especially when I don’t know what your goal was. You never told me, no matter how many times I asked you! You never told me a single thing!

Anger flowed through me; in ways, I did not expect. I knew Rem killed her. Yet I could not find it in me to hate her. She was a pawn in her game. In our game.

Edna, why didn’t you listen to me?! I told you so many times that you were enough for me.

That caused my heart to sting. It was a lie now that I knew what love felt like. I clasped onto my chest, trying to ease the feeling that was growing within. All of this was a mess. My thoughts were a mess, and I did not know what to focus on.

This is so stupid. I don’t even know what to do now. Even with all my god damn memories, I still don’t know how to control my power. Let alone use it for me! Create a world? Damn it! Do you think it’s that easy?! Why did you leave me with nothing?!

I threw the book to the side. However, the letter remained in my hands. I could not throw it away. It was her last words to me. Proof that she loved me. It was too late for any of this, though. She was gone, far out of my reach. There was no time to mourn for the dead.

Yet…

That’s a lie. You left me with an entire world to explore. With a life to live and fight for. Edna… I found love. One I can’t explain. Yet I don’t know how to fix this!

Placing the letter in my bosom, I noticed the orb I stole from Zoe. With the rush of memories, it had slipped my mind.

Ah… right…

Everything was gone. All but one thing… Taking the small orb in my hands, I stared at it.

An army…

There was no time to lose anymore. My crazy plan was the only one left to act on. Every minute mattered, and the one place Yama would not chase me was the prison he created long ago.

Yes…

He was the one who created the prison when he killed the first god of death. I remembered him boasting about it to one of his fellows. This was before I was even born, but it was the day he became a being of duality.

A freak of nature… much like I am.

Of course, everyone feared him because of it. Yet, his connection to death linked the witches to this realm. Something he did not foresee or care about. What can a mortal do? And it was not like he created it alone. No, it was in my mother’s homeland.

Long before she or I was born. He needed the help of many eternal witches. After all, he was new to the death god gig. Before then, they knew him as the god of shadows. I guess it’s why he gave the demons a shadowy appearance.

But that did not matter anymore. I had to move. Everything was up to me, and I would not allow that man to destroy our world. For once, I was not fighting for myself anymore. I was also fighting for others. And that was what gave me the power to subdue the fear that coursed through me.

Throwing the orb below my feet, I focused on opening a gate. One for me to go through. The moment it shattered; a vortex opened. One I allowed myself to be swallowed by.

Everyone… hold on… And don’t die.

This was the first time something had ever exposed me to the soul cairn. Well, other than the two demons that attacked Night City. And that felt so long ago. Falling through the maelstrom, a blue light consumed me. There were no regrets about what came next.

I knew the chances of failure were higher than anything else. At least I knew these beings could not control me. Well, if I was right. And I was about to find out. Finding the ground, the shadow demons quickly discovered me.

I also knew while in here they could not harm me. The prison prevented them from doing anything other than living in harmony. A cruel joke Yama made. Even then, this place made me tremble. Luckily, they did not know who I was at first.

“A human?” they called me, wondering what I was doing in their home.

The one thing they knew was that I did not belong there. Something that I would fix. There was no reason to hide from them anymore. The worst they could do was hand me over to Yama. Something I would try to use against them.

Well, against him. After all, he told them an incantation bound me to him. Something they all wanted for themselves. First, I ripped off my brooch, throwing it to the side. I took a step forward into the blue world in front of me before tearing off my necklace.

At that moment, demons swarmed around me.

“It can’t be?!” one huffed to another.

“Why is it here?!” growls erupted around me.

My eyes could not keep up with them. In a second, these beasts surrounded me. Though, none would touch me.

“Is it our lucky day?!” another snickered from the shadows.

Chaos was erupting until a bird-like being came down, landing on one behemoth that was near me. I scowled at the chattery beasts.

So annoying…

“Silence, all of you. Our prize surely didn’t come here on her own. And without a reason.” The bird announced.

Its feathers were fluffed up. Though what caught my attention the most was its crest. It was up all the way. Though its tail feathers were short. Nothing like what Lilith drew Midnight to be in her book. Yes, the witch wrote a book about this place.

But she never drew the particular demon was in front of me. Then again, this world was vast.

Fuck… this is more intimidating than I…

From their aura’s, most of these were what used to be a divine beast. If there were any gods, they were silent or hiding. Not that it mattered.

Some of them snickered, “a trap?”

Reaching to my neck, a light shone from my hand, reversing the damage done to me. In that instant, fractures appeared in this world too. Though, I felt my voice return to me. Something that caught the eyes of everyone here. They watched me, amused by me.

I guess I did something similar to Edna when I first met her. She was so weak and brittle. Though, I did not remember doing so. My powers went with my feelings more than anything else. When I was in Yama’s grip, pain and sorrow were all that filled me.

Perhaps that was why my chaos reigned. But now, I learned to love.  Yet to save this world… It still seemed impossible to do.

“This is no trap. I come before you, for a truce.” I announced, reaching my hand to them.

My father’s shards shone within the vial they were in. It was responding to this world, too. Facing them, I realize my fear was gone. That was until…

“And child, why would we agree to that?” a hound growled from the side.

Shivers ran down my spine when it said that.

Okay, so maybe I’m scared out of my mind.

This could go wrong in so many ways. If I did not convince them to be on my side, then...

“Surely, you know we’re aware of what’s happening in the mortal realm.” Another spoke, pacing towards the side.

“We see all the witch does, and right now, she’s struggling to keep alive. Her hold on us is weakening. Though the warlock’s keeping a good front. He’s more stable than she is.” A feline snickered.

“The Gate will kill her soon enough, though.” The bird from earlier announced.

Shit! Lilith, hold on. I don’t want any of you to die. Will I make it?

Time flowed here differently, though. It was close to Alijah’s time prison. Yet here, it was more unstable. Lilith herself said that sometimes it spat her out minutes before she even opened the portal. It was never after, though.

So, with hope, it would bring me to the point when I first left the ship. Or a little before, preferably. Though, the way they spoke about her. It irritated me.

“Is that what you want? You all use her without caring about her?” I questioned their motives.

In her books, she always said they wished to protect her. Growls erupted yet again. From the corner of my eye, I saw a scaly beast come nearer. It was bigger than all the others.

A dragon?!

Rem fought one of those before. The day the twins were born. Though this one seemed different.

“We care. She’s our precious vessel. Yet she binds us. Her emotions influence us!” one argued, tearing my eyes away from the beast that approached.

There were too many around for me to focus on a single one.

“If you care, fight with me.” I declared, reaching to my chest.

“And why should we do that?” one huffed.

Frustration was swelling within, too.

Annoying… idiots… No wonder the gods used you as they wished. Then again, they were all tools like me.

“So, what? Do you plan to stay here and wait for them to come for you? Pathetic.” I scowled, crossing my arms.

These seemed no brighter than children. This was something I could use against them, too.

“Even if we did desire to fight against those who betrayed us. The witch and warlock can’t support so many of us.” The bird noted.

I shrugged. I never intended to use both Lilith and Oswald. There was no point to the soul cairn anymore. This world was ending either way. There was no way this realm would survive another war.

Yet… I needed time to figure out my powers.

“I’ll break all of you free,” I announced, trying to hide the fact I did not know how to do this.

“And how will you do that?” an enormous cat asked, sitting in front of the behemoth the bird was perched on.

“I think it’s better to wait until master Yama comes for us.” Another demon added.

It pissed me off.

Fools!

“You think that man will come for you? Are you stupid or brain dead?! I thought you were these god-like beings! Not pathetic fools who dream of fantasies!” I snapped, clenching my hands into fists.

“If we use you—” one started, yet I would not allow him to finish.

“He abandoned you! For fuck's sake! He created this prison to keep you all here without a way out! He doesn’t care if you fought for him! Or if you sacrificed everything for him!” I snarled, taking a step forward.

All of them watched me, skin glowing somewhat.

“After that, why would you ever fight for him again? Don’t you know he’s planning to destroy everything? Are you so stupid to think he’ll save you?! What the fuck do you think you can provide for him?!” I continued, feeling the anger rush through me.

These fools knew nothing but to be used. It was not their fault.

They’re weak! But together we…

“I’m giving you a fucking out! Take it! Fight for yourself and no one else! Fuck fighting for me, too. Just do it to save yourself! For your survival! That’s what I’m asking you to fight for. Nothing else matters!” I declared, raising my hands to my chest.

Yes… the only way we’ll win… is if we work together. Isn’t that right, Thea? If not, at least we go down swinging!

“This isn’t for my freedom! I don’t need it if Yama’s going to destroy everything! We need to stop him! And with the celestial beings under his command. I’m sure he either kept or converted every other god that could help us.” I continued, feeling the weight of my words.

All the beings who stood in front of me were all shadows of who they used to be. Yet… together, perhaps…

“If they aren’t sleeping in here already.” I sighed, fixing my hair out of my face.

All of this had to stop. We had to be better than those who came before us. Orenz and Aster failed the gods, too. Otherwise, they would have still been alive.

“It’s pathetic for any of you to think Yama will care about you for his new world. He wants nothing to do with the shadows in here. Heck, what are you? Aren’t you all half of what you used to be? Realize you mean nothing to him!” I attacked them, not caring about how they felt.

This alliance meant everything, but unless I was genuine to them. They would not hear me. I would not be like Aster or Orenz. No, I would be better than them.

“Heck, I bet some of you are even less than that. Don’t you all wish to reclaim all the power the living gods took from you?! To say I’m here! And I’ll be heard! For that, fight!” I did not stop, the words continued to roll out of me.

Perhaps it was because I knew how each of them felt. Even those who were devoted to the gods who abandoned them. I had also been abandoned once. Luckily, I found a mortal who loved me.

She did not leave me there to rot. No, she let me flourish. The only reason I was here was because of her alone. For the rest of this path, I would walk it standing strong. This world deserved a chance.

No, those who lived here did.

“My powers have grown past the capabilities I thought I would ever have. I don’t even know what I’m capable of anymore! Seeing into the future is nothing anymore! This man will destroy this world along with all of you in it!” I announced, taking another step.

No fear, stay strong. Don’t let them see you crumble. Lilith’s words carried me through this, too. It was almost as she was standing next to me.

Edna, Lilith changed for me. Well, at least she tried to. And that means more to me than you’ll ever know. She was there for me when you weren’t! Thanks to her, I’m stronger than I thought I would ever be!

“Do you want to hand that to that man?! Why not use it for yourself?!” I questioned their motives.

Utter silence fell among them. After all, to use my power, they did not know they needed to be beings of duality. But… I could… still be true to those words.

“Fuck the bind! If you win, I vow to use my power to create the world you all want! We’ll all work together for it!” I tried to sway their hearts if they had any.

My words could have fallen on deaf ears, but I did not have the time to worry. Even if time flowed differently here. I had to…

“Do you think we’ll believe you?” the bird contested, raising its crest.

I could not lie. If I did, I would lose them. And I needed them. We all needed them. After all, they were the only ones who could do anything about this.

“You’ll betray us like everyone else!” a large bear shadow joined us.

But… they needed me. I would not crumble.

“No. I don’t.” I sighed, gazing towards the side.

This was not the end. I could not let it. Not when all of them depended on me. At this moment, Loki could have been missing an arm or more. Or worse, one of them was dead. I had no way to know from where I was.

All I knew was that I could not stay here.

“But I know how it feels to be a tool. To be discarded and used like all of you were! I know how that feels. And I also know how much it fucking sucks to not have your voice heard.” I started gazing at them.

Vivian… I know you’ll do great things. Gerta’s words rung on my ears.

If only you knew how much those words mean to me now. Thank you. Not just you… All of you… Thank you for not letting me fall into the darkness.

“I also know that many of you lost your loved ones. I’m sure Yama and his minions destroyed the ones who aren’t trapped here. Or the mortals did, with their god artifacts. We like to believe souls are indestructible, but Orenz and Aster were both destroyed too.” They all watched me.

I could not falter. The only reason all of them were in this dreadful place was…

Stand strong, Vivian. You always make your father proud. Don’t lose the war. No matter the cost. My father’s memories rushed through me, too. All of them were coming, supporting me where I stood. They would not let me fall.

Vivian, my idol! No, our idol! Emma and Zoe. They were the first to…

“To be fucking honest, I don’t want anyone to be a tool. Nor do I want any of you to be one either. The world I want is one where everyone can be themselves. Of course, fucked up stuff still happens. Chaos is like that. But without that, the beauty doesn’t shine either.” I chuckled.

That’s true… a world without Chaos is no fun. Right, Lilith? No matter how insane you are. It’s people like you who keep everyone else on their toes. What’s life without fear?

Even when dread filled me, I stood strong. I would not let it command me. Yet a little of fear was good for the soul. It also separated those who risked it all from those who needed protection. I would not forsake the weak just because they could not stand up on their own.

No, I would stand for them and make a world where the strong would fight for them. And even then the weak could also become the strong.

I want to make a world where love and death won’t separate anyone. A world where there isn’t any weakness. There will be no need for victors either! It will be a world be full of love and only that! That’s what I fight for! Yama’s words flowed through me.

Ah… a memory…

One where he held me in his arms as he addressed his helpers.

Such a fool… A world like that… can’t exist. Chaos will always destroy harmony. And order will always calm the mayhem. There’s beauty in both. Much like there can’t be light without a shadow.

All he said was a dream. A wonderful dream, but one that could not exist. Sadly, noble intentions usually ended badly. Especially where there was no cost too great. And for him, there was none.

Did you forget Yama? Or what you lived through was too much for you?

“There isn’t a perfect world like the one Yama’s trying to sell to you all. Pain will always exist! And a world without the freedom to feel it. It isn’t worth living in! Can’t you all see that?” I asked, turning around.

Around me was a crowd of beasts, all gazing at me quietly. Loki was right. Yama…

“And even if it did. He’s lying to all of you who fought for him. If he creates such a world, it will only end in destruction. And worse yet, none of you’ll live to see it either way. He wants a full reset with him as the only god.” I huffed.

This world’s broken. It has no need for so many gods. I’ll make sure I break everything. A full restart. That way, hearts will no longer be broken. No one will feel pain. I’ll make sure of it. And in this world. You and I will always be together. You want that too, right? Yama spoke to his pendant.

It was one he always wore. Of course, it was not for me. But he was holding me in his hands when he did. He was trying to figure out how to increase my power.

That pendant… Is he the god of that legend?

“I know together we can make one that balances itself out. No need for—” one beast interrupted me.

“And who’ll control that world? You?” it growled, eyes glowing.

The dragon had caught up to us. Many other beasts followed it. In the distance, there was a withered tree. One that gave a weird aura, yet I could not focus on that. I had to…

“No. This world won’t need us ‘gods’. You’ll all be reborn in it though.” I declared, gazing at them.

“What?” a behemoth scoffed.

Rebirth meant…

“Your role will change. Once we win this war, all of you will protect this world. Not as god-like beings, though. You’ll live and die just like everyone else. There won’t be any eternal torture anymore.” I answered.

“You’ll all be free from this torment and prison. Help me create this world where gods won’t dictate who’s strong. They don’t deserve to choose who has magic and who doesn’t.” I carried on.

They deserved nothing after what they did to this one.

Hybrids…

There was no reason for them to not be able to use magic. In fact, they should have been celebrated instead of looked down upon. They were the product of two races coming together. That was something everyone should have looked for. Instead, in this world, they were outcasts.

All while others looked for the genocide of the powerful races like me. I was the last of my kind. Fitting since the world would not need eternal witches to communicate with the gods.

It never hit me, but perhaps that was Yama too. Closing all loose ends since eternal witches were the only ones who could open the gate successfully. Until Lilith came along. But she got her abilities differently.

And why couldn’t other races mingle too? The entire thing was pathetic. Everyone should have been able to live their lives as they wished. To love whoever they wanted. They should even have wolf elf babies. Or whatever they wanted to call them.

Heck, even wolf vampire thing was acceptable. This world was too restrictive. It needed urgent diversity. Perhaps then everything would have been avoided. There would have been no need for cruelty or inbreeding for the vampires.

Asher would have been able to love Gerta without care. Fenris and Lilith too. Even Alijah and Rem, too. Many opposed their union. Not that they would argue with Alijah.

That world was one that…

“You think I’ll help you after throwing me in here?!” a drake snarled from the side.

Great…

It had just arrived, but from the sound of its voice, I knew who it was. And I was in no mood to deal with the one who caused all of this. If he had stayed in his lane, the world probably would have had a few more centuries left.

Well, if I stopped, time for myself. But then I would have seen Loki die. No… I would have stopped time for him, too. But then his family would have been gone. Immortality was a curse.

“Throw you in here? Please, you were the first one to attack my link. You killed him and set this whole thing in motion! So, be grateful I’m giving you a fucking second chance, Metnir.” I snapped, triggering him to take a step back.

The only one I truly feared was not here.

“I… I didn’t…” he mumbled.

I sighed, realizing he could fuck up the entire thing. Much like he had done before. At least he seemed unaware of what he had done. Well, up to this point.

“It’s your choice in the end. I’m your only out of this mess. Without me, you can expect Yama to leave you here too. Perhaps next time don’t go try to make your daddy proud.” I huffed, trying to hide the fear he instilled in me.

This former god could sway the rest to his favor. Something I could not allow, yet my words always were like daggers. In this case, it seemed to shut him up.

“Look, help me make this world because I don’t have the first clue on how to even start. But I know many of you were there when Orenz and Aster made this one.” I huffed, trying to get them to speak.

But instead, utter silence filled the space we were in.

Damn it… I can’t do this without you. Fuck! I don’t know how to do anything.

“Please… help me destroy this one. So, a new one can be born. One we won’t fuck that up. And everyone that lives in this one lives on in the next. It won’t be this same world, but at least it’s something.” I pleaded with them.

Again, silence.

“Fuck, I’ll beg you for it. Is that what you all want?!” I snapped, triggering the bird to chuckle.

“Heh… Midnight was right. You’re indeed worthy of our help. Something she gambled in.” It announced, flying onto the ground in front of me.

It was way bigger than I realized from up close.

“What?” I mumbled.

Midnight? What about her?

Clearing its throat, it gazed at me. “Let me introduce myself, dear. My name is Cybele. I was there when the world was firstborn. You can say I was one of Aster’s first children. I’m also known as the goddess of nature.”

An elven god?

“Ah, long ago, I created nature elves, imbuing them with the power to control the earth and plants. This was something I locked to the core of this world.” It informed, leaving me confused.

“And I’m Aenta, goddess of the water. Much of the same happened to me.” The dragon announced, much to my surprise.

Wait… that thing is a god!? Come to think of it, it looks different from Lilith’s drawing in her book.

This one had weird things coming out of its head. It was not horns. It still was scaly and had small wings, though.

“Most of the gods connected to the elves were killed during the war. It’s why they lost power and dropped to the low standards they’re in. Oh, I’m Zatar. My children are those born on fire.” An enormous bear huffed from the side.

“He’s known as the star god. Be wary of the feisty personality when he isn’t trying to impress anyone.” The water goddess chuckled, triggering the bear to growl.

“Shut up, Aenta!” his eyes twitched.

“Luckily, most of us left a source behind for them in the mortal realm. Much like Fenrir did with the moon.” Cybele informed, landing on Zatar’s head.

I thought the gods fell asleep while in here. But it seemed someone had woken them up.

“Selene wasn’t happy about that, though. She and the light god are the only elven gods who remain. And Torus is a massive pacifist.” Aenta sighed.

“Selene… that stupid wench’s the reason we’re here. She sold out her son to that monster!” Zatar grumbled.

“There, there, we’ll get our comeback.” Cybele chuckled, patting the bear’s head with its wings.

Fire, water, and earth… the three essential elements of life. And now they were in front of me. Perhaps this crazy plan was not so chaotic at all. Hope… was filling me.

This might work! But to do all of this… the current world…

“Though I didn’t think Midnight’s plan would work. When she woke us up all those centuries ago, I thought she was crazy.” Aenta chuckled, triggering me to gaze at it.

Lilith wrote in her book that these beings were full of rage and agony. Yet my words resonated with their long-lost hearts. Though surely they were still angry. I could tell by how some looked at me.

Yet it was not towards me. No, I was focusing their resentment on something else.

“She always was ahead out of everyone else. It’s kind of annoying. Though this wait seems to have paid off. Elias was right, too. Damn, I’m going to lose my bet.” A large-looking dog with horns snickered.

Another god? Who are… Wait… are they still talking about Midnight?

“What?” I mumbled, confused.

Does she have something to do with this, too? Was there something she didn’t foresee? Why didn’t she tell anyone?

That goddess, I remembered her once fighting with Yama. Something about him going too far.

Ah… it was right after he killed Valdios. Midnight was yelling at him.

Sadly, all I heard was their anger at first.

Midnight, will you betray me too?! I’m your father!

How dare you say that!? You killed my beloved’s love! Who betrayed who first!?

What?! Fenrir needed to know his place! He shouldn’t have tried to get involved with my plans! I told you to tame him! It’s his fault for trying to get in my way! I warned you all!

Father, that book’s twisting you! Please!

Stop with your nonsense! The book did nothing to change me! This has always been what I wanted! I had to make an example out of him. You should be grateful. Now he’s alone and ripe for the picking. How about you make him yours as you wanted?

How dare you?! You don’t know a thing about him! We aren’t pawns for you to... No, I won’t use his pain against him. And I won’t let you use my love for him against me!

So be it, daughter. You chose your side.

Yama picked me up from a drawer, triggering Midnight to lock her deep blue eyes on me. Her golden hair reached her waist, and her skin was pale white. Shivers ran down my spine, remembering the look on her face. She was crying.

No, you picked it for me, father. I hope by the end of all of this. You find peace because I,  for sure, will bring mayhem down on you! I swear that to you!

I did not understand why she was so hurt back then. Now, I knew she was mourning the loss of her father. She left, leaving Yama to sit down in defeat. Yet another blow to his fragile heart.

Foolish child… Even you leave me. This world… isn’t worth it. One day you’ll learn the only reason I didn’t kill Fenrir was because of you. But don’t be mistaken… I’ll destroy you too.

That memory left me wondering what space he was in. I could not help but relate. After all, I was almost there. If Loki had not accepted me, I would have…

Yama… how blind are you? Well, I guess love can be blinding. I think I understand.

“We’ll fight with you, child. That’s if you can free us.” The same beast spoke, gazing around.

He felt different from all the others. Though he was not done.

“There are some stubborn folks here, but I can feel their hearts changing. Your words reached them. Or at least partially.” It assured.

“Who are you?” I asked, feeling odd when I spoke to him.

“My name? I can’t remember it. But I know I was the first resident of this world.” It answered.

I gasped, clenching my chest. “You’re the first god of death.”

It tilted its head, shaking it a bit.

“I guess, I was.” It shrugged, gazing down.

I did not know his name, but he was also one of the original gods made by Orenz. Along with Zatar.

“To think, you, little one, are the reason most of us ended up here. And now you’ll be our freedom.” Cybele announced.

“So, will you break us out?” Zatar asked.

Instead of answering them, I smirked too. In that instance, my body gave off a bright hue as it revealed my true form to them. My golden hair floated in the air when energy radiated out of me. Yama made this world from both chaos and order, meaning I could only destroy it by using the two in harmony.

Something not even Yama could do. But I was an eternal witch. By birthright, I could control this world. Much like my mother did for those elven mortals long ago. A means to an end, she called it. That was probably the only ugly thing she allowed me to see.

God artifacts, made from the souls within here. Tools to be used by everyone else.

I guess that part won’t ever change.

But in the world, I wished to create. At least everyone would have a fighting chance. None of that mattered, though. I needed to win this war first. Fractures within the world appeared. My energy alone caused the world to start to crumble.

All I needed was to make it unstable. After all, it was already cracking into our realm before this body of mine was made. Even the celestial planes where we gods lived were also unstable. The rifts between our realms were proof.

It never hit me until now that all of this could destroy the world I was trying to salvage. These demons could go on a rampage, killing everyone and everything. Yet I… could only hope. No… I could not.

I had to bind these beings to me. To our new world. The one we would create together. A pact to enact our will. Raising my hands, energy radiated out of them. One with pure chaos, and the other with order.

No… I can’t be cruel to them.

Even though I did not trust them. I could not control everything if I wanted to be different.

“When you’re all released from here. You’ll all be free to choose. Though I hope you truly help me. And save those I care about.” I felt stings in my eyes.

In that instance, I closed my hands, triggering the world to change colors. The blue hue was gone as these beasts’ forms changed. The black became pure snow white the moment my energy touched them. Some of them also got golden patches on their body.

Their blue eyes turned to gold, too. Once again, my body seemed to have its skin falling off. My fingers were the first to go, leaving behind a weird structure. It was almost as if the cosmos themselves had become my fingers.

My skin was peeling off to reveal my truest self under the mortal body I had. It was painful, but it would not kill me. I was never a human to start with. No… I was something else.

“Hey! You’re forgetting something.” One of the changed beasts from behind me spoke.

The world was collapsing, merging with the mortal world when I turned around to face it. There I noticed a weird fluffy hound holding a small girl in his mouth. In an instant, I knew who she was.

“Luna?!” I yelped, shocked to see her.

How the fuck?! Wasn’t she with Leo?!

He was the only one I did not see gathered by the deck. So… I thought…

“She fell in when you opened that portal. Though, I picked her up, sleeping her upon contact. I couldn’t allow her to interrupt us.” It chuckled.

“Following my mistress' last orders is a pain, but with this, my debt is repaid.” It added, placing her down.

A dream fox?! Wait… what mistress!?

These were long thought extinct. Beings the gods sent into our world before being exterminated in the war. They could place anyone to sleep the moment they touched them. Though for it to have done that. It confused me.

Sadly, I could not think straight. No, with the danger she was in. The moment the little girl touched the ground, her eyes fluttered open.

Fuck! She can’t be here! I was sure I was alone! Wait… the room was open when I got there. Did no one notice Luna was missing?! Impossible… Leo, surely…

At that time, I did not know the little girl was hiding in her parent’s room. Leo was desperately trying to find her, not knowing she was in the place, she felt the safest. She hid in the clothing closet before she fell in here.

Of course, without my voice, she did not know it was me. So, she waited until she grew the courage to go out. And at that moment was consumed by the vortex along with me.

“Princess?” she mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

This world was falling apart, and there was no stopping it.

“You all should have told me she was here!” I snarled at all the gods, who snickered.

They all had played me for a fool. This plan… I might have fucked up the world even more.

“Silly girl, fate always finds a way. I have a feeling that goddess isn’t done with you yet.” Cybele announced.

I had no time to fight them. This world was about to… Turning away from them, I ran towards Luna, who was a few meters away from me. In an instant, our world shattered when I grabbed her little hand in mine.

1