33 – The Princess’s Hero
3.1k 12 107
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The others in the room cleared out, leaving behind only Cinzia and Chohong. After that, Cinzia started explaining the situation.

A crisis born from the Parasites. A sickening fate and cruel methods to expedite the quantity of troops available.

Mass production of mutated orcs through capturing viable living females.

And then storing them all in a facility to create a breeding factory.

That was the crux of the mission. The objective was to infiltrate the facility and destroy it. But in the end...

"...Only Ian and Claire came back?"

Cinzia took a long puff on her cigarette and then looked down at Agnes. "It was almost only one. But a certain someone gave my dear subordinate a miraculous good luck charm. And another certain someone went all out to drag Agnes back while she was a breath away from death."

Ian laughed and said, "I couldn't let my friend's lovely tutor get captured right in front of me now, could I? He would never let me live it down."

"True." Cinzia glanced at Ian. "But you did let the princess get captured."

Ian winced and fell silent.

I froze. "Teresa... Was captured?"

*badump*

A throbbing heart. Pain as well as fury in my chest.

Cinzia sighed. "...She wasn't the only one."

I clenched my fists and then said, "Where is it?"

Chohong's eyes widened and she shook her head. "No. NO!" She made her way across the room and grabbed my shoulders. Staring into my eyes with desperation, she said, "You are not going!"

I shrugged her off and glared. "I have to save them."

"You can't! No matter how great you are, you're still just a Level Two!" Chohong shook her head and said, "The team of the best people in Haramark went and only two came back! How do you expect to do any better?!"

I narrowed my eyes. "...And how do you? That's your mission, isn't it? To level up."

Chohong flinched and stepped back. "H-How? How did you-?"

Cinzia looked at me and said, "I appreciate your resolve and determination. But Chohong is right. As exceptional as you might be, and despite your success at Arden Valley... this is different." She stepped forward, looking me in the eye. "This isn't just an invasion. This is marching right into enemy territory, the heart of their encampment. Not only that, but it's to rescue those that are still alive. No matter how powerful or skilled you may be... How can you do that by yourself?"

I paused, a thought coming to mind. A faint memory. "...Ian. Where exactly is this facility?"

Cinzia narrowed her eyes.

Ian hummed and then said, "The Delphinion Duchy... And specifically, the royal laboratory."

Chohong rounded on Ian. "Master Ian! Why?!"

Ian grinned. "Isn't it obvious? My friend here..." He sat up, wincing at his wounds, but still smiling. "He's a miracle worker- Ah. That's wrong. He's a free lancer, right? And the projects he takes on... They've always had a 100% satisfaction rating."

I smiled. "That's right. Now..."

I remembered it. This setup, this event.

...I had no doubt. Things would be different. The ripples I made to this point would lead to events going out of sync with what Seol experienced.

But even so...

I looked at everyone and said, "I have a plan."

xxx

"...You want to get into the royal laboratory?"

I nodded and said, "You worked there and managed to escape. Surely you have a transfer gate or something available?"

Muto sighed and ran a hand through his white hair. "I do. However..."

Ramman Village. After convincing everyone to hold off for a couple of days, I ran full speed to talk with Arbor Muto about the situation.

"There's a problem. I can tell you the locations, but since it's been so long, it's likely that the conditions are questionable. Even then, if you transfer in... there's a high likelihood that you will arrive in a group of mutants." He stared at me. "In that situation... What will you do?"

I smirked and then placed a violet gemstone on the table. "Take a look."

The old mage seemed skeptical, but he grabbed it. When he did, his eyes widened. "This...!"

"It's not exactly the same, but it works, right?"

Muto looked up at me and then groaned. "Why are the young so brash...? No, I suppose I was the same." He let out a deep sigh and said, "If you have this... I suppose the dangers are much less. Even so..." He looked at me and said, "I am certain of it. A mind as brilliant as your own... I hate to say it, but your life is worth thousands of others. In time, I can guarantee that you would be able to find a way to overturn this world's situation completely. Charging into a situation like this is far too risky."

"I know. But I can't just let them be."

He was right. Time was all I needed to resolve all of this. And with time, I could even revive those that died.

But the memories associated with such times. The fact that they suffered so much because of my inaction...

"...I see that you're resolved." Arbor Muto sighed. "In that case... Give me a few moments." He left the room and then came back with a pile of documents.

Flipping through them, I saw that they were complex glyphs and notes about space time.

"These are...?"

"If it were anyone else, I would doubt that they would be able to do it. But if it's a magical prodigy like yourself... It should be possible." He pulled out a map and circled parts on it. "These are my hideouts. This one connects to the royal laboratory, specifically the underground levels. If I'm guessing right, that's where you'll find them. As for the transfer circle there... You should be able to find a way to power it on your own."

I stood up, grabbing all the documents. After that, I bowed. "Thank you, Mister Muto."

He flicked my artificial rudium back at me and said, "Thank me by coming back alive. We can't afford to lose a mind like yours."

I grabbed it and grinned. "That's a promise. And a man like me doesn't go back on his words."

"You'd better not."

xxx

"...I don't like this plan, Jihu." Flone stared at me, her normally clear blue eyes unusually frosty.

"It's necessary." I stared back, unwavering.

A meeting on the first floor of our building. One between those that wanted to rescue the ones captured. Me, Flone, Chohong, Cinzia, and a healed Ian.

Ian stared at the documents, his eyes completely entranced. "Amazing. Truly amazing. I would love to meet the man responsible for this."

I shook my head. "He's still in seclusion. I'm working on getting him out... but it'll take some time."

Ian sighed. "Regrettable. But this is more than enough."

Cinzia stared at Ian. "Is the information reliable?"

"More than reliable. If things turn out well, then it's a guaranteed success. Not a single life will be lost in the process. But..." He frowned. "It will still be tough.

Chohong bit her lip. "Is it... doable?"

Ian straightened and said, "There are two major obstacles. The first is the location of the kidnapped. The second is getting them out of there." He flipped through the transfer circle notes and said, "While wonderful and marvelous, these transfer circles can only hold up to one ton of weight. If we take everyone back, that restricts the personnel. Even if one person stands to power the circle and maintain it, the fact remains that at most we can comfortably send in four people. Beyond that... Well." His gaze shifted to me and said, "If a certain someone maintains the circle-"

"No." I immediately shook my head and said, "That's too risky."

Ian frowned. "And sending you in with the rudium is not? In the event that a high-ranked Parasite emerges, you would be stranded. Not only that, but you would be the immediate target."

"Which would be even better since it would draw attention away from the others."

Cinzia took a deep puff from her cigarette and exhaled. "That is true... But I believe that my dear Agnes would be most upset to hear that from you."

"Then she can complain all she wants when everyone gets back safely."

Ian sighed. "Well... I can't say it's a completely foolish plan." He looked to Flone and said, "With Miss Flone at your side, you should be fine even if the worst were to happen... But the problem comes after." He looked at me and said, "What if it's too late? What if they are all-"

"They aren't."

"Jihu-"

"They. Aren't." I narrowed my eyes.

Ian shook his head. "Very well. Then... We should begin our preparations. Time is of the essence."

xxx

Arbor Muto's hideout, within one of the valleys of Arden mountain.

"...I still think you're an idiot." Chohong muttered and looked at me.

Flone nodded. "For once, I agree with Chohong. Jihu... This is dangerous. Really dangerous."

I was standing on the magic circle with the rescue team.

Although the group going in was small, consisting only of me, Chohong, Flone, and the Japanese Archer I saw in my vision, we weren't the only ones here.

Because immediate medical facilities would likely be needed, there was a whole slew of staff that made camp in the hideout, prepared for emergencies.

Ian scanned the magic circle for last minute preparations and then nodded. "It should be ready to go in one minute." He looked up at me and said, "Are you prepared?"

I nodded. "Six people. Thirty minutes."

Ian nodded and turned towards the Archer. "What are you supposed to look for as soon as entering the lab?"

"Search the vicinity and choose between wait, stay hidden, or withdraw."

Ian nodded. "Very good. Now remember everyone..." He looked and said, "No matter what happens, if it turns out to be impossible, retreat immediately. No matter what. Especially you, Jihu." He turned to look at me and said, "We can't afford to lose you."

"I won't die, Ian."

"...Death isn't what I'm afraid of." He muttered and then looked at Flone. "Miss Flone?"

She nodded. "I'll keep him safe, Mister Ian!"

"Good."

"Haah." The Archer let out a sigh.

Since there was still some time left, I turned to look at him.

He was Asian, with sharp features but affable eyes.

Seeing my gaze, he smiled. "Thank you."

I blinked. "For what?"

"Thanks to you, I at least have a shot now. If we do rescue them, I'll properly express my gratitude then." Saying that, he stared at the magic circle, waiting.

"I'm guessing there's someone you want to save there too."

He nodded. "My younger sister, Ayase Yui."

"...You didn't go with her?"

He flinched and shook his head. "I told her not to go from the get-go. But she got blinded by the number of contribution points on offer and..." His eyes narrowed to a slit and he let out a deep sigh. "In any case." He looked at me and said, "I'm taking on the role of the header of this rescue team and Master Ian is the leader... but I plan to consider your opinion as much as ours as well."

I nodded. "I won't disappoint."

He held out his hand. "Ayase Kazuki. I'll place my faith in you."

I shook it and said, "Seol Jihu."

"It's almost time!" Ian called out. "Thirty seconds!"

I nodded and placed my hand on my sword, waiting. Preparing. And the reason for that...

'There aren't any colors.'

None of us were covered in colors. Ordinarily, that would be a good thing. But... I had a bad feeling about this. That things were going too well.

"Fifteen!"

At that time, I noticed a figure coming closer. A familiar stern blonde woman, limping over.

She was still bandaged, but because of my healing, she didn't have any visible wounds. Even so, she wasn't in any shape to be here.

My eyes widened and I called out to her. "Claire?!"

She seemed just as worried as I was and said, "Jihu!"

"Five!"

Her eyes widened and she said, "The shadows! Don't let them-!"

"Time!"

White light flared. At the same time, the magic circle suddenly rotated, the world seeming to spin in the opposite direction.

The sensation of being endlessly sucked in. Swirling voices all around.

And then- Darkness.

xxx

I quickly regained my bearings.

The first thing I saw was a wall. Specifically, an ancient ash-grey wall covered in a thick layer of dust.

Glancing at the others and seeing no immediate danger, I spoke up. "Everyone alright?"

Flone recovered next. Shaking her head, she muttered, "That was terrible."

"Urgh. Tell me about it." Chohong muttered and looked around. "Are we here?"

Ian took a look around and nodded. "Good. We don't have to worry about hiding or escaping. Let's get started."

Kazuki nodded and took the lead, the rest of us following after him.

After making sure that the opposite side of the secret passage was safe, he pulled down a few books from a shelf and unlocked it, leading us in.

A tense trek where no creatures emerged.

I used Nine Eyes on overdrive, but couldn't detect any danger. At least, none that I could perceive.

But Claire's warning stuck in my mind. Not only that, but I had a premonition of intense danger lingering within. Something I couldn't ignore.

Although no trouble emerged, the tension only grew as we advanced.

Darkened corridors. Countless doorways. Despite it all, Kazuki led us through it without hesitation, only stopping occasionally to reference the map.

According to Muto's notes, the key area would be the prison block. And the path there was...

"It's far bigger than I thought."

...A giant bridge.

Kazuki let out a grim frown and led us forward.

Was it the tense atmosphere? No one made a single sound as we continued forward.

The journey continued until we reached a metal door. But unlike before, Kazuki tensed and held up his hand. No, both, flipping up ten fingers.

That meant we weren't alone.

'My turn, huh?'

I nodded and then pulled out my artificial rudium.

It hadn't been modified. But now that I knew the proper usage and intent, as well as the nature of the material...

[Stop.]

A ripple in the air. A telekinetic wave tainted by corrosive will.

Kazuki's eyes were wide. "They stopped moving. There were a number of presences but-"

"Time is short. We safe, or not?"

Kazuki sighed and then nodded, firming his gaze. "Nothing is moving." Saying that, he placed his hand on the door. Before opening it, he turned to us and said, "Our mission is simple. But the important thing to do is control your emotions. No matter what, do not get angry and do not try to kill them."

It was a warning. However, from the emotions in his eyes, it was apparent that it was more a self-affirmation.

I nodded. "Let's go."

He pushed open the door.

Almost immediately, a sticky moisture filled the air. Cloying and wretched... and slightly fishy.

Chohong gasped and quickly grunted, trying to hold it back.

Flone flinched and then cloaked her face with black smoke, to filter it.

Kazuki stood still, frozen in shock.

I moved forward.

Seeing that, Kazuki and the others did the same.

Towering monsters stood all over the place, frozen. Mutated orcs that looked like a mishmash of various races.

We advanced and then reached a crossroads. There, Kazuki turned around to face me and said, "There are three places we need to search." He frowned. "But the amount of time left... I would have liked for us to proceed as one unit, but I suggest we split up." He checked the surroundings again and said, "Five minute. We search for five minutes, and then regardless of what we find, we meet up here and go forward."

Chohong frowned. "But what about the last area?" She gestured ahead.

Kazuki shook his head. "We have to go there to head underground anyway. But as for the team..." He looked to Flone and said, "Miss Flone? Will you come with me? And then Chohong and Seol to the right."

Flone looked at me. "Jihu?"

I nodded. "Go with him. If something happens, drag him out and then come back to me right away. Fair?"

She looked hesitant, but nodded and then headed off.

That left me and Chohong.

I didn't hesitate and immediately dashed off to the right.

Chohong followed after me. While she did, her eyes scanned the surroundings, biting her lips. "Seol..."

I glanced back and nodded. "Yeah?"

"I heard that the first floor was used as a pen."

"That should be the case."

"But... we haven't seen a single captive. Doesn't that mean...?"

"Don't think that. Until we see it with our own eyes, don't believe it."

Chohong took a breath and then nodded. "That's right. Sorry, Seol."

"It's fine."

Right. It was fine. It had to be fine.

The passageway opened into a prison, with cells on either side.

Empty. Empty. Empty.

The prison cells were vacant, and not a single body was to be seen. While there were mutant orcs around, there wasn't a single human.

And then we reached the end of the passageway, leading to stairs going up.

Chohong bit her lips. "Seol... Do we...?"

There wasn't time. It had already been three minutes. Time was swiftly depleting. But-

Suddenly, a flash of gold. From above.

My eyes widened and I looked up. "That's...!"

Chohong looked up as well. "What? What is it?"

A line of hooks, like from a horror movie. The sort used to hang butchered meat.

And hanging on that, with a golden light that was swiftly fading...

I clenched the rudium and then ordered the orcs to lower him.

Seeing the mutants move so suddenly to operate machinery, Chohong blinked in confusion. "Seol?"

"It's Hugo."

"What?" Chohong looked up.

It was slow. Too slow.

I grit my teeth and said, "Chohong. Can you heal?"

She nodded. "A little, but-"

I kicked off the ground and into the air. Drawing my sword, I cut the ropes off, letting Hugo collapse into me.

Grabbing them, I dematerialized the hooks and ropes before falling back to the ground. I softened the impact with removing the kinetic force, but it still wasn't enough to stop from hurting Hugo.

Blood spurted from Hugo's wounds on his back, where the hooks had pierced through.

Chohong gasped. "H-Hug-"

I handed Hugo to her and said, "Treatment, now!"

Chohong nodded and she started healing him. At the same time, I grabbed the rudium and sent another message to be sure, locking the mutants in place.

That done, I glanced back at Chohong.

"I can't...! This, his wounds-"

"Get a hold of yourself." I quickly moved to his side and focused.

Restoration activated, healing the most lethal wounds. There wasn't enough time to get him up and running, but he wasn't at death's door anymore.

"S-Seol...? Cho...?" A raspy voice came out.

"You idiot!" Chohong's eyes watered.

"Grab him."

My harsh words brought Chohong back, and she quickly picked Hugo up.

After that, we ran back.

When we returned to the intersection, Flone was standing there in shock while Kazuki had a blank face.

Seeing that, I hesitated and said, "I take it there wasn't anyone there?"

"...Yes. There was no one to save."

Flone walked over to me and hugged me tight, shivering.

"Flone..."

She shook her head and then straightened. "I'm... I'll be fine."

Kazuki looked to Chohong and said, "You found someone?"

I nodded. "Hugo."

"I see. In that case..." He glanced at the passageway ahead and then at Chohong. "Chung Chohong. Take Hugo back to the magic circle."

Her eyes widened. "What?!"

"What do you mean, what?" Kazuki shook his head and said, "We agreed. Every time we rescue someone, one person would take them back as long as the situation permitted it."

"But-!"

"Chohong." I looked at her and said, "Please. There's not enough time."

She bit her lips and then nodded. "Fine. Fine! But... But you better not die!"

With just that, she grabbed Hugo and ran off.

"Heh." I shook my head and said, "You've said that three times now. Think it's going to change now?"

Kazuki nodded and said, "Let's go. There's no time."

With that, we moved forward again.

It was different than the other passageways. The last one, instead of having prison cells, led to light. As for the reason why...

A huge chamber reminiscent of a laboratory.

That was fine.

But...

But...!

I could see it.

A familiar face, but distorted from rot and decay. Wriggling worms piercing out through his face.

Flone's eyes widened. "J-Jihu! That... That person is...!"

"...Yeah."

Dylan. Or rather, what was left of Dylan.

Kazuki noticed as well. Looking to me, he frowned. "Seol-"

I walked over to Dylan.

"...Who's... there...?"

I grit my teeth.

It was too late.

I could see it.

It wasn't a matter of wounds anymore. Somehow, someway, his entire 'existence' had been changed. Eaten away. Even if I used my restoration ability... it wouldn't work. No, it would. But it would only speed up the process occurring before my eyes.

-Parasitization.

I knew that they could do that. After all, they were called 'Parasites.' But seeing the result of that first hand....

Dylan wasn't human anymore. I didn't know how he hung onto reason for so long, but there wasn't much time left for him. Already, he had 'changed.' His soul was still 'human', but it had been wrapped up so tightly with another existence that the only way to save him was...

I drew my blade, my hand trembling. "I'm sorry, Dylan."

His rotted lips trembled, but then a faint smile formed. "Seol... Thank... you..."

"W-Wait! Jihu-!" Flone tried to stop me, but I swung my sword first.

Emerald light splashed, and then Dylan's body vanished, erased in a surge of mana.

Flone froze and then looked at me with watery eyes. "Jihu. Why-?"

I shook my head and then turned to Kazuki.

His face was grim. "Seol. The other person there... "

"It was one of the other people we were supposed to rescue, right?"

Kazuki nodded and then frowned. "Since it's like this..." He glanced ahead. "Should we...?"

"There's fifteen minutes left. Two are confirmed dead. One rescued. Three are left." I looked between us and said, "In the best case scenario, we have just enough people to rescue everyone."

"Then?"

"We go."

With a nod, Kazuki went forward.

And as we did...

My heart burned.

Despicable sights. People that I couldn't save because I still didn't know enough.

Scenes and images I didn't even have the words to describe.

...Fortunately, amidst that dark tragedy, we managed to find one person hanging on the ceiling Erica Lawrence. Although she was naked and body was laced with enough aphrodisiacs to drive her senseless, I managed to heal her. After making sure she was well enough and that there weren't any lasting effects...

"No! Jihu! I-"

"You're the fastest." I stared at Flone and forced her to take Erica back.

She pursed her lips, hesitating. "But-"

"Please, Flone."

"...Fine." She took Erica and said, "But you'd better not do anything stupid! I'll yell at you!"

I nodded.

After that, Flone left, charging away in a blur of dark smoke.

And then it was me and Kazuki.

"...There's only two left then." I said.

Kazuki's sister and Teresa. Those were the only two we hadn't found yet.

He nodded, his expression blank.

I stared at him and said, "Let's continue."

We continued to advance, running through the cells.

My brain refused to register the sights that I saw. Instead, it was numb. Detached.

Kazuki seemed to be the same.

I scanned the area, looking for Teresa.

I didn't see anything. No gold, no crimson... Nothing.

But then, Kazuki froze.

As we ran past a prison cell, he came to a stop, his face stiff. Staring into it, he clutched his face and then let out a cold, broken laugh.

I glanced over and quickly made my way there, looking inside. When I did... I saw her.

A girl was squatting on the ground. Both of her wrists were tied to the pillar behind her. On the surface level, she seemed fine. But...

A vacant smile. A naked body, bearing the evidence of all the violence done to her. Blood and other fluids pooled on the ground below her.

Kazuki sniffed, and then, with a clenched fist, wiped his eyes. He pushed open the prison door and walked inside. When he reached her, he knelt on the ground and pressed his forehead to hers. "I'm sorry, little sister." Then, with a shuddering breath, he stood up and reached for a knife on his belt.

"Wait."

Before he could draw it, I grabbed his hand.

Kazuki turned to look at me, a broken smile on his face. "It's too late. She's-"

I shook my head.

Kazuki paused. It seemed like my actions were enough to at least keep him rational.

Good. It would have been a tragedy otherwise.

I knelt down beside Yui and untied her. After that, I placed my hand on her head and focused.

Golden light splashed before my eyes. The golden commandment. But in addition... I could sense it.

While she had suffered a terrible fate, it wasn't unsalvageable. I didn't know if it was because she was too young or if she was lucky, but she wasn't in a state like Dylan where I couldn't save her. Right now, she was still 'human.'

So...

"Seol!" Kazuki's angry voice called out. "I will not-"

"I can save her. But you need to decide now." I looked up at him and said, "Erase her memories? Or keep them? The first will be fine, but they will come back as nightmares. The latter... She will never forget. I can undo the physical damage, but the mental... That will be on you."

Kazuki stepped back. "That's... No." He shook his head and then glared at me. "If you are-"

"I am here for a reason, Ayase Kazuki. Consider that well and decide quickly. Have her live here and remember? Live and forget? Or kill her here and deal with the penalty on Earth?"

"I... I...!" He looked at me and then clenched his hand. "...Please. Save her. And... Don't erase it. I... won't run away from my failure."

I nodded and focused.

The infection process was partial. Although her reproductive system had been tainted, that was all. So then, I had a base to work with.

Her mind and psyche was shattered, but...

I closed my eyes.

The proper status. The blueprint stored in the soul... That shattered soul.

I mended it together as best as I could.

[Fate Reversal activates!]

I felt it. My will and powers coalescing as one to undo the tragedy that had been inflicted upon the young high schooler in front of me. Upon Kazuki's younger sister, Yui.

"T-This...?" Kazuki's shocked voice called out from behind me.

I ignored him and quickly made a blanket to wrap around Yui. Afterwards, I picked her up and held her out to Kazuki.

He took her with a dazed look in his eyes.

Yui's vacant eyes slowly regained light. Seeing Kazuki, she muttered, "Onii-chan...?"

Kazuki's eyes watered and he pulled her close to his chest. He looked at me and said, "Seol- No, Benefactor. I-"

"Run."

He blinked. "What?"

I stood up and said, "Run and take her back. If you want to thank me, get back here in time to do that."

His eyes widened and then he nodded. "I understand. Best of luck." With just those short words, Kazuki ran back towards the entrance.

After watching him leave, I stood up. "...There's no point in holding back now."

Touching the earring I had on, I focused. "...Don't fail me now, Nine Eyes."

I dashed through the rest of the facility, scanning for glints of gold and red thread. The karmic ties between me and the princess.

More tragedies. Woman that had suffered like Yui but were too far gone to be saved.

I grit my teeth and ignored them, focusing purely on those threads.

And then finally.

A brick building filled with torture devices.

There, on an X-shaped wooded framed, naked and bound by ropes on her wrists and ankles... was the princess. Teresa.

Her face was obscured by her lowered head, but there was no mistaking it.

I walked forward, my heart pounding in my chest.

As I did, I could see it.

The injuries on her bare body. How much she must have resisted... Was still resisting.

Thankfully, they were just physical wounds. Gashes and burns. It seemed like the Parasites didn't treat her like the other women they had captured and were only treating her like a normal prisoner.

...Which meant that I made it in time.

I stopped in front of her and lightly brushed aside her hair.

Teresa flinched, twisting her head away. At the same time, the audible sound of her grinding her teeth filled the air. After that... "Kill me!"

A defiant and familiar voice.

"I will never submit to-!"

"Now, now, Princess."

A relieved smile on my face. My racing heart gradually slowing down.

"E-Eh?"

I reached out again, brushing her hair away and revealing her dazzling pink eyes.

"I thought I told you already? You need to value your life and future more."

Teresa's eyes widened and she said, "S-Seol?"

"It's Jihu. And yes, that's me." I untied her and then started healing her body.

She flinched at my touch and then looked on at me in amazement. "Is this... a dream?" Her voice was hoarse. "Please... Please say it isn't so."

"I came to rescue you. But honestly... You should have seriously asked for my help when it comes to stuff like this."

I finished healing her wounds and then conjured a blanket to wrap around her.

She took it and stood up. But even so, Teresa didn't seem to have strength in her body and leaned on me. When she did, she held me tight and muttered, "...Can I cry?"

"You can, but-"

Suddenly, a sound from the other side of a wall. Thunderous footsteps.

Teresa's eyes widened. "N-No. Jihu, he's-!"

I knelt down and said, "Get on, Princess."

"W-What? No, you can't seriously be thinking-"

"Get on, and hold on tight."

The door slammed open and a monstrous Parasite emerged.

It looked at me and then its eyes widened. But before it could act-

"Impending Demise. Synthesis Blade."

I stepped forward.

Blood and flesh blew through the air. At the same time, I ran forward.

"W-What in the world!?"

"You called me your hero once, right? I can't fail to live that up now, can I?"

I used the rudium and caused the Parasites to go mad. Hardening my heart, I ordered them to kill every captive they had and then start destroying the facility.

With that, I ran, making my escape with Teresa.

xxx

Teresa clung onto the neck of the man before her.

Her heart raced in her chest, and not just from her affection towards Jihu.

It was an unbelievable sight.

An emerald sword in his right hand and magic in his left. He dashed out of the prison at a breakneck pace, giving a merciful end to every captive he saw.

A gaze that was both determined, wrathful, and regretful.

Teresa gulped.

Her body was already healed. She didn't know how he did it, but in a single moment, he restored her wounds and brought her to peak condition.

Even so, she couldn't bring herself to tell him to let her fight as well. And the reason...

'He called himself my hero?'

A ridiculous notion.

Since she was young and saw her world ruined by the Parasites, she had given up on the notion of heroes. Not only that, but seeing how the cowardly Earthling adventurers acted and how the other ones did nothing but further their own self interest, even abusing Paradisians in the process... She didn't believe in heroes anymore.

So she became her own hero.

Someone that would fight for her people. Someone that would fight for herself.

And then Seol entered into her life. Like a storm, he protected the place she dreamed of for so long. Like a hurricane, he tore down her obstacles and gave her endless funding to turn that dream she had into a reality. And then... like a dream, he appeared in her most dire times and saved her- Was still saving her.

A man whose confidence seemed unfounded, but was endlessly reliable. The one person that she couldn't get a proper read on, who seemed to have no reason to help her, but went out of his way to do so anyway.

As they blurred through the fortress, the unbelievable sights continued.

The low-ranking Parasites moved out of their way, attacking each other.

The mid-ranking Parasites that weren't affected by Jihu's abilities were cut down by his sword.

And finally, some friendly faces could be seen.

A passageway that was straight ahead. And at the end of it, Ian, Chohong, Kazuki... and a beautiful lady with silver hair?

Seol ran forward towards the group. It was a clear path, not a single enemy or obstacle in sight.

The ones waiting at the end of the passageway let out a relieved sigh and waved. And then horror filled their gazes.

That was the only thing that Teresa registered.

In the next moment, her vision was distorted and her sense of balance turned on its end.

She felt a pair of hands catch her.

She saw two women stand up and dash forward.

And she saw-

"Sorry guys."

-The one who saved her, dragged back and riddled with wounds from a flurry of shadowy blades.

"JIIIIHUUU!"

107