92 – The Splintered Path – II
1.5k 18 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stood in front of the door to my house. Well, I guess it was technically my parent's house since I lived somewhere else.

Right now, it was around 10 AM. And from the savory smell of food drifting from the house, I'd arrived just in time for breakfast.

Though it didn't seem to be my mom cooking since it wasn't the nostalgic scents I was expecting.

Anyway, after the call with Mom, I immediately drove over. As usual, I was using the fancy black convertible company car.

...And as usual I was stalling again.

This was starting to be a problem. Did my disposition get mixed up with Seol's somehow to make me like this when it came to relationships? Or was this just the result of making a bad habit out of avoiding troublesome situations?

I wanted to say it was the former, but my gut was telling me it was the latter.

Though, considering there seemed to be more than one person connected to me after the little chat I had before Mom with Blackie and that mystery guy, maybe there was a bit to the former as well?

...Oh. Right. Still stalling.

I stared at the front door and then let out a sigh. After that, I knocked.

Silence. And then footsteps ran over to the door before it flew open, almost knocking me over.

Jinhee stood there and sent me a cold glare. "Oppa."

I let out a nervous laugh and waved. "Morning, Jinhee."

"Tch." She spun around and walked back inside before calling out. "Oppa's here!"

I heard my dad grumble in the distance before he muttered something about me being irresponsible.

I let out a wry smile and rubbed the back of my neck before walking inside the house. I closed the door behind me and then looked at Jinhee.

She glanced back and said, "Where's Flone Unni?"

"Ah, she's..." I got a brief mental image of pure white skin and the mess we made before I cleared my throat. "She stayed behind to do some cleaning."

"Cleaning?" Jinhee frowned. "You're making her clean your apartment?"

"No. It's... complicated."

"Yeah. Seems like it's always complicated with Oppa when it comes to girls, huh?" After saying that, she headed towards the dining room.

I followed after her and sighed. "Can't deny that."

"I kept telling Oppa that your lax attitude with women would come back to bite you."

"Can't deny that either."

"You're a jerk, you know that?"

"Yep."

Jinhee sighed. "Well. I can't say I approve of you stealing the hearts of so many beautiful women... But I guess it's great inspiration for my web novel."

"Glad to be of help, I guess."

My life pretty much had turned into a web novel, so it didn't surprise me. Though I kind of wished someone had told me just how much of a mess it would be to balance so many relationships.

Oh wait. I should have realized that from Seol's life.

...Did I pick up an idiot ball somewhere along the line. Because I was really dropping the ball these days... Or maybe this was the result of relying too much on my eyes?

We walked into the dining room. Food was already laid out at the table. A Western-style breakfast. Pancakes, toast, scrambled eggs... the works.

And the family was all here and prepared for my arrival.

Mom, Dad, Hannah, and Claire.

Mom and Dad were seated on one side of the table, side by side.

Meanwhile, Hannah and Claire were seated on the other, with a seat in between them. Obviously for me.

Jinhee walked around to the middle of the table, sitting down in between the two sides, and then waited.

A complete silence, everyone staring at me.

I cleared my throat and then sat down between Hannah and Claire. "Sorry for being late. Business called."

Dad shook his head and said, "Being a diligent businessman is good. But you need to learn to spend time with your family too." He frowned and looked at Hannah. "Since you've taken Miss Hannah's hand, you have to be more thoughtful."

Mom snorted and started passing out dishes. "Says the man who spent most of his days in the office."

My dad took a plate and said, "It's because I did that I can say otherwise, Dear." After that, he pointed at me and said, "Make sure to take time to spend with your family. And make sure to pay attention to those lovely ladies of yours. You don't have any idea how rare it is for beautiful women to want to share a man instead of getting jealous."

Mom raised an eyebrow. "Something you want to say, Honey?"

Dad shrugged and said, "What? If you're a man, you've dreamed about it once or twice."

Jinhee reached over to serve herself some toast and said, "It's because you're like that Oppa has so much trouble with women, Dad."

"I'm just telling it how it is, Jinhee. And you should know how guys can be too, right?"

Mom slapped Dad on the shoulder and said, "Dear!"

"What?!"

Jinhee rolled her eyes and grabbed more food.

I let out a wry smile and then started getting some food. Seeing me do so, Claire did the same.

But Hannah didn't. Instead, she sat there, meek and quiet.

I frowned and then poked her.

She flinched and looked at me. "W-What is it, Jihu?"

I placed down a plate of pancakes in front of her and said, "It's not like you to be so docile, Hannah. Just because you're my wife doesn't mean you have to change or hold yourself back. I like you the way you are."

Hannah blinked. And then she sighed and poked me in the ribs. "You're a jerk, Jihu. Your smart and beautiful wife worked super hard cooking all of this for you and you have the nerve to show up late."

I coughed. "My bad."

Hannah cut a piece of her pancakes with a fork. After that, she brought it to her mouth. Before she ate it though, she looked at me and said, "I hope you had enough practice with Flonne." She stuck the pancake into her mouth and mumbled, "You don't have an excuse anymore, you know?"

"..." I grabbed more food and then turned to Claire.

She noticed and looked at me as well before tilting her head and speaking in Italian. "Is there something on my face, Jihu?"

I shook my head and replied in kind. "No. I'm just surprised you're actually still here."

Claire looked hurt and said, "Casting me out so soon...? I suppose there is no need for a bedwarmer if you already have two women..."

"N-No! I just meant-"

Claire laughed and then cut a piece of toast before flicking it in my mouth.

I blinked and instinctively swallowed it.

Claire smiled and said, "I jest." She turned her attention back to her food and said, "Whether you wish for it or not, I have already decided to become yours. Even if you flee to the ends of the Earth, I will hunt you down to stay by your side."

Jinhee pursed her lips and then pointed a knife at me. "Stop flirting with your other mistress and eat already, Oppa."

I cleared my throat and then went back to eating.

xxx

Breakfast went by without any problems. After the awkward start, we settled into a comfortable atmosphere and talked about the usual casual topics. Future plans, what we liked to do, anything we needed...

Basically, it was an excuse for my parents to fuss about me, Hannah, and Claire.

...Still a bit surprised at how easily they accepted Claire, but all things considered, I should be grateful.

...

Huh. And it seemed like Blackie was busy. Kind of expected a retort there.

After breakfast and helping out around the house to clean up, it was time to leave.

I made a quick excuse about work again and then grabbed Hannah and Claire before driving off back to my apartment.

And like that, I was in the car alone with my wife and a beautiful woman who proclaimed herself as my mistress and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Hannah glanced at me and started talking in English. "So what has my beloved Jihu been doing? Or should I be asking 'who?'"

I let out a wry laugh and said, "I guess there's no point trying to hide it from you, huh?"

"Of course. While I might not know you as well as the other girls in your life, I'm well aware of my dear partner's disposition and habits. Right, Claire?"

Claire nodded in the back and said, "Yes. Like how Jihu is a shameless flirt and womanizer who both steals hearts and the innocence of every maiden he meets."

"I-I'm not that-"

"You are."

"Please do not lie to yourself."

I coughed. "W-Well... That's..." I sighed. "Fine. That's right. I'm a greedy son of a bi- I'm a greedy asshole who loves a lot of different women and doesn't want to see them with anyone else but me. Happy?"

Hannah nodded. "Of course. You're finally being honest with yourself."

Claire nodded as well and said, "It is about time that you accept your true capabilities, Jihu."

"..."

Hannah laughed. "Enough teasing for now." She turned serious and then said, "So I take it you're the reason why Sinyoung suddenly flipped overnight?"

"Yeah." I turned serious as well and said, "I didn't want to put it off any longer. And I couldn't either."

Hannah sighed. "You *do* realize that this is going to create a giant mess on the other side, right?"

"Not entirely." I stopped the car as we reached a red light and turned towards Hannah. "Seora and Seohui are smart. Besides, Hao's helping out too... And I bet that Cinzia's working things on that end too, right Claire?"

Claire nodded. "Boss has always been prepared for you to make a large play. I'm more than certain that the other place is already being secured as we speak."

"See?"

Hannah groaned and said, "That's not the point." She shook her head and said, "Think, Jihu. You suddenly did the impossible and then vanished from public eye. And now all of a sudden Sinyoung collapsed. Not entirely, but enough to where it's effectively gone. And not only that, but all the higher ups mysteriously disappeared after revealing their crimes..." She paused and said, "Where are they, by the way?"

"Heh." I shook my head and said, "Don't worry about them. They've got a lot of karma to sort out with a widowed queen."

Hannah blinked again and then placed her hand on her chin. "That's... I suppose it would be a good foothold. Since Sinyoung is gone, if we move in, we can secure our position as an organization. And with your reputation, it would be quick to recruit people... Not to mention all the debts you can call in."

I blinked. "What debts?"

"The ones that you pass off as favors, idiot. And start driving. The light's green."

"Ah." I started driving again and then glanced at Hannah. "...Is that necessary?"

Hannah sighed. "I suppose not. You're ridiculous enough and made enough friends in high places that people will naturally come... And women will definitely come too with open arms and legs."

"W-What?"

Did I mishear, or-?

"Don't play coy now, asshole." Hannah rolled her eyes and said, "You've already got a harem lined up of... what, ten? Twelve? Different women. A bit of sweet talking from you and they'd jump in for a roll in the bed." She blushed and then muttered, "At least, I know I would."

Claire quickly raised her hand and said, "When you do, I want to join."

...

Huh. Would've thought Blackie would have chimed in there too.

He must really be busy.

But anyway...

I looked at Hannah and said, "You do realize that the more you talk about that stuff, the more I'm inclined to do it, right? Since I've decided, I'm just going to double down."

Hannah turned up her head and said, "Sure. You say that now, but just you wait until later."

I raised an eyebrow and then swept my gaze up and down Hannah's body. "Uh-huh."

Hannah's face turned red, but she stared at me. "K-Keep your eyes on the road, idiot!"

"Yes, honey."

"Asshole!"

"I'll probably be using yours later, so-"

"@#$@#!"

I laughed and kept driving. But after Hannah calmed down a bit, I spoke up. "On a more serious note... Hannah. And you too, Claire."

Hannah took a deep breath and then nodded. "What is it?"

Claire nodded as well. "Yes, Jihu?"

"...Are you two seriously okay with me having other women?"

A question that I needed a clear answer to before I continued with my plans.

Hannah rolled her eyes. "I'm not. But it's going to happen whether I want to or not, so it's better that I get used to it if I want to be with you."

I winced. "That's... not fair, is it?"

"You're right. It isn't." Hannah sighed. "But it's not like I can even look at another guy at this point, so I'll just get used to it. And you love me, right?"

"Er..."

Hannah glared at me. "You fucker. Don't joke around at a time like this!"

"I mean, I do like you a lot, Hannah. But I also don't really know what 'love' means, you know?"

"...Hmph. Guess I'll just have to teach you later. But anyway, I've already committed. And you took responsibility, so I'll acknowledge it. Besides." Hannah rubbed her arm and muttered, "I stole you from that Saintess, so it's only fair."

I let out a wry smile at that. But then I glanced back at Claire and said, "What about you, Claire? Are you okay with it?"

Claire nodded. "I do not mind if you have other women, Jihu. In fact, the more the better. A powerful man's prestige is also shown by the beauties that surround him." She paused and said, "At least, that's what Boss says."

"...Right. In that case..."

It was a dick move. And I was definitely the scum of the Earth for asking them. But...

"...Would you please help me convince the other girls and help me sort things out? Flonne said she would try to smooth things over too, but the more people on my side trying to make this work the better."

Silence.

I felt sweat run down my neck.

And then Hannah sighed. "I really married a fucking selfish asshole, didn't I?"

"...But I'm *your* fucking selfish asshole, right?"

"You'd better be good in bed, or else that's going to be true in more ways than one."

Claire laughed.

...I didn't think it was that funny though...

:sweat: Super long overdue, but here's the next chapter. I don't have the time and energy to write as much for this as I'd like to anymore... mostly the energy, so to compromise I'll be writing shorter (1000 words) chapters for a while to try and rebuild momentum. We'll see how that goes...

54