Chapter 1 “Expedition”
154 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A chilly breeze swept through the team as they neared the last checkpoint connected by road and by extension, civilization. The weather was brutally cold from this point on and could change fast. Today, the weather seemed to be calmer than usual. A better opportunity wouldn't come for some time.

After finally arriving, they sat around the table inside the outpost building while studying a map. It seemed to depict known ways through the snow and ice to various explored thermal oases.

The expedition leader, Argard, addressed the team while placing his hands on the map. "Men, we will go over this one last time before we set off." He pointed at one of the symbols on the map. "We will reach the nearest oasis in about a march of 10 hours. After that, we will march to the farthest established outpost by taking the known routes and oases. All the way to outpost Arrowhead."

He paused and looked around the table again. "After that, we will venture out to a suspected relic site about 50 kilometres out. Farther than anyone has dared to before. I will ask this one last time. Are you willing to put your life on the line for the prosperity of Illina and its people? If not, you will be able to leave now without consequences."

The question was answered with a unanimous sentiment from all seated around the table. They had come too far to turn around now, and their resolve hadn't wavered since the beginning.

"Good. Check and recheck all packed items and belongings and prepare to set off in two hours from now, once finished we will meet at the exit. In the meantime, I will see to it that your letters are looked after." He straightened his back. "Dismissed!"

"It's finally happening." Gwennour thought to himself while he was cataloguing his belongings in his backpack for the second time. "We have been preparing ourselves for this kind of mission for years now. Especially for exploring that relic site. If it's even there in the first place." Gwennour chuckled at the possibility. They could all die for nothing in the middle of nowhere if the intel for its position was incorrect. It had happened before after all.

"Hey Gwen, are you done yet?"

"Oh shut it, Enez. If you were as throughout with checking your things as I, you wouldn't be done yet as well." Gwennour retorted while closing his backpack.

Enez pulled the hood of his coat over his head. "You're just slow and you know it. Now get up and come with me. We have things to discuss." The wooden floorboards creaked as he turned around and walked towards the door.

Gwennour silently nodded his head as he closed his backpack, stood up and followed Enez outside into the snow while closing the metal door behind himself.

A short distance walk revealed Argard waiting for them next to the soon to be leaving train. The black freight train huffed with steam as its many mechanical mechanisms slowly whirred to life. It wouldn't take long until it would start departing from the station.

Both Gwennour and Enez came to a stop as they stopped next to Argard and gave a stiff military salute by placing their closed right hand over their heart. Once both finished, Argard returned the salute in a more relaxed way.

Argard pulled a small letter out of his coat and held it in front of him. "We have new orders from headquarters. The relic site we are to explore has a high chance to contain technology vital to the defence of our nation. We are to identify this technology and transport it back to headquarters under utmost secrecy. Should any of our expeditionary members obtain any knowledge about this or deliberately interfere with the mission, they are to be disposed of. Understood?"

"Yes, sir!" Both answered without hesitation.

Argard stowed away the letter and looked at the clock mounted on the train station. "Good. How far are we with our preparations?"

"It shouldn't take the team any longer than ten more minutes," Enez replied.

Argard looked at both men again. "Then return and prepare to set off in 20 minutes. Dismissed."

4