Chapter 7: Old stories
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The supper atmosphere was unusually quiet, Tong Thanh secretly glanced at Ninh Lan a few times while eating. The old lada kept quiet, her face was as cold as ice, just ate a little and then returned to her complex. 

Although Ninh Lan felt the variation in the atmosphere, she still calmly picked up food for her son and ate it leisurely. At the end of the dinner, Tong Thanh alibi and quickly took off to the library to check the official documents.

Ninh Lan followed her son to his complex named Truc Vien in the East, and stayed for a while to sit and read some books.

“Mama …” - Van Truong stammered when only two of them were in the room, but he didn't know how to express what he wanted to ask.

“Ask what?” - Ninh Lan didn't bother to raise her eyes, still starting at the page. 

After some time, the boy still couldn't speak, she sighed, closed the book, looked directly into Van Truong's eyes and said calmly - “The man need to be brave enough to carry the sky on his shoulders, and step on the earth, why are you so timid? If you want to ask about Thuy Diem’s case, just ask directly. Son, I'm your mother but a tiger!

“That's not what I mean!” - Van Truong denies.

.

“Not me!” - Ninh Lan gently explain - “You are his exact copy, faltering, making me sad. Son, in the future, you must love your woman wholeheartedly and trust her. If you have a misunderstanding, say it frankly, don't let the doubt dig a hole between husband and wife.”

“Mama, I understand.” - Witnessing his mother's sad face, Van Truong came to comfort her - “Later, I will protect you and Nguyet Nhi.”

“It's dark, just read a bit and then rest, don't try too hard, it might hurt your eyes.”

Leaving her son's complex, Ninh Lan hugged a little bit of thought and went straight to the Moon gate. The melodious lullaby came along with the sound of children coaxing, the sturdy maids who kept vigil at the gate saw the lady coming, both bowed and opened the door for her.

Inside the room, A Thien gently shook the bamboo crib while singing a folk song. Two other young maids dressed in light brown clothes stood at the corner. When they saw Ninh Lan, they bowed and retreated according to her instructions.

“My lady, Miss Nguyet is still not asleep, would you like to hold her for a while?” - A Thien stood up and gave her a chair and asked cautiously.

“You?” - Ning Lan sat on the chair and continued to shake the cradle for her baby, watching Thu Nguyet yawn and ask barely.

“My lady, do you think I'm too cruel?”-  A Thien calmly asked her back.

“Actually… You help me rinse my problem, but the method is really cold-blooded. I'm wondering it's good or bad to let Nguyet Nhi learn from you.”

“My lady, between me an her, there was still a mortal enmity, sooner or later, one have to be remove” - A Thien still crouching low - In a normal family, I might be a threat, but for where she will go, she can't be naive or rely on love. I do not defend myself, just to remind you that in her path, only the last survivor is the winner.”

“May I know things between you and Thuy Diem?” - Said Ninh Lan.

“In the past, the Elder lady wanted Thuy Diem to be a concubine for Master’s half-brother and control him, but she trapped me to replace her, I lost my virginity on that day. After that, Elder lady used the excuse that Mr.Danh had a bad temper and pushed him to the border, keeping his wife here to suppress.” - A Thien explained - “The hatred between me and her is much more, till now could not count anymore. She bullied and destroyed my life, then I just took her life. Isn't it fair enough?

Ninh Lan did not answer her, and sang a lullaby to lull her little girl to sleep. Until she left, she only gave the rattan fan to A Thien, implying that she would continue to take care of Nguyet Nhi.

“Thank you for your trust, I will definitely do my best to protect the young lady.” - A Thien happily knelt down and said goodbye to Ninh Lan.

The moonlight above made her shadow stretch on the flat ground, Tu Nhi slowly followed behind, knowing that the owner was not happy, so she was careful not to make a sound. The small road amongst each owner’s complex was not too far, Ninh Lan suddenly stopped at the intersection between West complex and the South, sighed softly and asked:

“Do you think ghosts exist in this world? Has she left yet?”

“Lady!” - A Tu was stunned, thinking that the owner was haunted by the death of the other maid, she stood closer, holding Ninh Lan's hand as comfort - “I am here.”

“Not because I'm scared” - Seeing the warm action of the personal maid, Ninh Lan grinned with delight - “I'm not afraid, that's nothing more than a wandering soul. Dare to dream of my husband, even she it a ghost i will defend”

“If so, let's go back, my lady.” - The maid who was carrying the lamp in front said, trembling slightly.

“Tu Hoa, you are really…” - Ninh Lan laughed. - “Okay, let's go back.”

Their group just arrived at the Southern gate and saw Tong Thanh waiting under the lantern. Still angry, so Ninh Lan didn't bother to look at him but went straight into the room, the two maids voluntarily stopped to let the owners have their own space.

“Lan!” - Tong Thanh hurriedly chased after - “Don't be angry with me, I never touched her!”

“My love, still you don't understand, I'm not mad at you for what has happened that night.” - Ning Lan wiped out her hand from her husband's hand - “What makes me sad is your suspicious attitude towards me. That's just a little nameless maid, if I wish for her to vanish, it's easy like a piece of cake.”

“Lan, it's just that I was a bit confused at the time. You also know how miserable me and my mother's past was with the poison games, I don't want such things to happen in this backyard anymore” - Tong Thanh hastily grasped his wife's hands, looked at her urgently - “I never wanted to dirt your hand with blood. It's my fault for doubting you, forgive me.”

“And that's how you assume I was involved in her death? Do you think I'm such a coward? I'm Marquis’s daughter, a royal lady like me has to compete for endorsement with a maid?”

“That's not what I mean! You know what my feelings for you are like, there's no room for others!” - Tong Thanh was distraught before the anger of his wife, he quickly grabbed her lap - “At that time, I…”

Ninh Lan, already forgiving him, but her pride is hurt, brushed off his hand, ran into the room and slammed the door, leaving Tong Thanh standing outside to continue to explain. Nearly an hour later, his voice was hoarse, Tong Thanh immediately sat down on the threshold, pretending to be inadequate. 

Ninh Lan was satisfied with her ego at this time, so she giggled and walked over to open the door for him to come in. Just waiting for that, he rushed to pick her up, closed the door and hugged the beauty straight to the bed, only the sound of scolding and cooing could be heard in the room under the dancing oil lamps.

Thu Nguyet's 1st Birthday Party was nearby, feeling that the cold war between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law should come to an end, Ninh Lan personally stewed a bowl of chicken soup and brought it to Thanh Tam gate.

“Mother, about Nguyet Nhi's 1st Birthday party, what do you think?”

“I’m surprised that you need my opinion, isn't that every single thing in this house managed by Lady Lan?” - The Elder Lady looked angry.

“I know what you are angry about.” - Ninh Lan said while signaling for the maids to retreat. But the two maids beside the Elder Lady were still waiting to receive instructions from their real authority.

“You can go” - The Elder Lady agreed to let them leave.

“It's been a long time since we sat down and talked peacefully like this.” - Ninh Lan exclaimed - “I know that you want the best for the family and so do I. But assigning a woman to his room is not the way, will a child from a different mother have pure love and support for the breadwinner? Can you be sure that they will not turn the spear towards Nguyet Nhi one day? The civil rebel is more deadly than the outdoor foe.”

“Enough of that, you have to respect me before you beat my dogs, after all, she is my maid of honor!” - The Elder Lady, however, was somewhat convinced by her daughter-in-law's words, skipping the concubine matter, she just spoke out her feelings.

“You won't believe it if I simply deny it. However, the shopkeeper of the pharmacy Trieu Thinh confirmed that it was one of our maids who came to buy the Datura powder even though she was fully covering her face. Mother, you can take a look at this handwriting yourself!” - Ninh Lan walked over and placed the stained paper on the table in front of the Elder Lady. - “The amount of this poison is so much that it cannot be used as an excuse to treat her asthma. Even if she drank this, where is the rest of it?”

The Elder Lady still kept a calm expression when looking at the handwriting on that piece of paper, although her heart was agitated, but knowing that what Ninh Lan wanted was not to pursue the truth, she was relieved. After a moment of silence, she accepted her daughter-in-law's offer, smiled slightly and was ready to reconcile.

“Thanh Nhi just got promoted not long ago. Considering the situation, don't be too ostentatious and cause people’s jealousy, just hold a small party.”

“Yes, I will listen to you, Mother.” - Ninh Lan gently answered- “Chicken soup is still hot, please drink it while it still good”

The problem was solved, the Elder Lady smiled graciously and drank the bowl of chicken soup, while praising and discussing the medical ingredients in the soup, the harmonious scene between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law made outsiders adore.

1