Chapter Six Turning Heads
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Six Turning Heads

 

 

 

Zane walked to school, hoping to get a head start before his sister nags him. "Yeah of course I would get there fast but it's embarrassing to be carried by your sister." Turning a corner, "Oh crap!" Zane hides behind the corner peaking. "It's Jen! What the hell is she doing on this route? She never comes this way!" 

"Zane~"

Zane is trying to keep quiet: "What now! This isn't a good time!"

"There is another being with us."

Zane is talking through his teeth: "What does that mean!"

"He is awake."

"Huh? Guys? Come on guys answer me."

"No one is here Zane."

"Who are you!"

"I'm you."

Those words pierce Zane. Clenching his heart in pain, putting his back against the wall to hold himself up, "What is happening to me!"

"It's my turn bud, move over."

In a split second, Z took the reigns. "Good, I can let him do all the heavy lifting." Z turns the corner wearing the most villainess grin, "Oh look what we have here, Jen all by her lonesome. How should I handle this, maybe pretend nothing happened or ignore her altogether? Man, so many options to choose from. Sadly, I have more important matters to tend to."

Z straighten his grin to a smirk. Jen was looking at her phone waiting for something, her eye caught Z coming her way. Jolting at the sight of him, she tries to avoid eye contact. Z walks past her without uttering a word. Jen on the other hand has a lot to get off her chest only to bite her tongue due to fear. Getting a reasonable distance Z checks over his shoulder to his surprise, "You got to be kidding me."

Ruby lands beside Jen lightening her mood: "Ready to go Jen?"

Jen stares at Z catching Ruby's attention. Her brother turned a corner.

Ruby: "What happened?"

Jen's body shivers off the interaction into a mink smile: "Oh it's nothing. Let's go see what Faylin is up to."

 

#

 

Z taking it all in: "Ah, look at this school. One of the best schools for supers in the world. Too bad I'm here."

Tyson: "Hey Z! How have you been!"

Z gives the jock a fist bump: "I been good, just trying to get through today."

Tyson stands beside him patting him on the back as they both stare at the school: "Oh it's not all that bad. This school can be rough around the edges."

Z waiting to hear the rest: "And?"

Tyson smirks: "Nah that was it."

Z lets a chuckle slide.

Tyson: "Alright between you and me, were you the one who jumped out of that burning building."

Tyson leans in close.

Z chuckles once more: "Do you truly think I could do such a thing? You put a lot of faith in me."

Tyson laughs patting Z hard: "Just checking! Oh?! By the way, I'll be rooting for you."

Z raises an eyebrow: "What do you mean?"

Tyson walks onto campus: "You are running for school president! Catch you later!"

"Oh, right. That. I guess it's time to get down to business."

Just like the other time, he is the talk of the school. All eyes are on him as he enters the crowded school campus. Teens of all powers come together, "Today is an odd day, so classes one, three, and five."

Zane manages to maneuver through the crowd to get to the school's steps. Almost at the end, he gets a light tug from his shirt promoting him to look over his shoulder.

Z: "Hm?"

Faylin is the culprit: "Sup hotshot. How's it going?"

Z simpers: "Hey Faylin, got to say, it's been great relaxing."

Faylin shoulder bumps Z: "Relaxing my ass! Don't lie, it was you who saved that kid."

Z shows a kind smile to the flamboyant teen: "Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Who knows."

Faylin sends a playful smile his way: "Being cryptic eh? Alright, I get it, keep your secrets Mr. mystery."

Z's class is up ahead: "What happened to your headband?"

Faylin stopped at the stairs: "I decide to try a new look."

Z gave a rare smile: "It looks good on you."

Faylin: "Thanks! Catch you later!"

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6769516b73795f4b396a5a5038673d3d2d313230333431383834342e313731383538313532383734626634393533313235343833363838322e706e67

She hurries up the steps to class. "Ha, what a feisty girl. Maybe I can use her when I get into the hero association."

 

 

 

Z stands at the doorway to the lockers, "I should let Zane take it from here, he can do the boring school stuff."

In a blink of an eye, Zane is now in control. "Wha? I'm back. What the hell was that? Never mind, I'll focus on that later, just got to concentrate now."

Speeding through, Zane puts his clothes on before anyone even comes in. The gymnasium is chock-full of supers getting a light warm-up before the real exercise begins or lazily about. Some others socialize in their little group circles. Popular girls stand around using their phones not caring about their future. After a few minutes of stretches, the late kids start flowing out of the lockers along with Lily, "For being a P.E. teacher, she sure doesn't act like one."

The class lines up in rows, five in each column. Zane stands in the first-row third column right in the front.

Zane: "Sup Lily, how's life?"

Lily gives him the stink eye: "Zane, how many times do I have to tell you! It's Ms. Fitz!"

Zane cracks a smile: "Yup heard you loud and clear L-"

Lily throws daggers his way. Quite literally, the daggers are made from polypropylene. Two hit Zane square in the chest sending Zane recoiling back a few steps. The class goes quiet, "I guess we know what we are doing today."

Lily voices out: "Enough fooling around! Today's lesson is learning how to disarm a criminal. Everyone! get in groups of three or four! Chop Chop!"

Everyone gathers around in quick succession leaving Zane alone, "Still not liked enough I guess."

Ruby was about to join Zane until Lily called him: "Zane! You are my partner for today!"

"Welp, I guess I'm about to learn how skilled she is."

"This sounds like fun."

"Who are you!?"

Lily calls: "Zane! hurry up! I need you for today's demonstration!"

Zane picks up the slack: "Coming!"

Standing in a circle Lily holds a training knife covered in blue chalk. She tosses Zane a red one.

Lily presents the blade for all the class to see: "Listen up kids! I am only going to say this once! These training knives' blades are covered in chalk!"

She slashes her arm leaving a blue chalk residue behind.

Lily continues the demonstration: "If you get hit, the attacker gets a point. If you get disarmed the defendant gets two points. Now! Let me show you the various technique of disarmament."

Lily gets in a stance: "Zane! Come at me."

Nodding, Zane ignores his better judgment and lunges forward recklessly. Lily gets perpendicular to Zane, catching his arm with both hands. She grips his wrist and upper arm, yanking him to the floor and pinning him with her knee. Zane lets go of the knife giving Lily the point. She gets off his shoulder lending a hand.

Lily: "You okay Zane? I didn't mean to be so rough."

Zane feels up his shoulder: "No no it's fine really!"

"Thats going to leave a mark."

"Please! Whoever you are! Stay out of this!"

"I already told you who I am."

Lily: "Okay Zane prepare for the next demonstration."

Zane bends down and picks up his knife. Getting in a lousy stance, "I should just do another reckless move just to get this over with."

Lily nods, and Zane rushes her slashing upward. Lily side steps to the left swatting Zane's arm and directing the blade away from her. She takes this chance to grip his arm once again swinging him to the ground. She smashes his hand against the floor until he loses his grip on the knife dropping it. "A little aggressive demonstration but okay."

Lily checks on him once more: "You good for one last demonstration?"

Zane rotates his wrist: "Sure."

Zane bends down. And Z stands up. Knife in his hand, "Time to show her a taste of her own medicine."

She does a little taunting gesture: "Okay for real this time. Bring it on Zane."

Z inches close, an unnerving smile painted on his face. Z switches the blade's grip, holding it in his right hand in a reverse grip, the edge out. Z lunges forward letting her grab his arm. Dropping the blade and catching it with his other hand, now in a forward grip. Z jabs at her. Lily dodges back, "Too easy."

Lily: "You will have to try a little harder than that!"

Z keeps that courage-eating smile. Switching grip back to reverse grip, but the edge in rather than out, he advances. Slowly he bobs his head trying to fake her out before making a move. Z slashes diagonally getting her to dodge back. He slashes horizontally getting a sidestep and catching Z's arm at the elbow. Z grins, putting his leg behind hers and tripping her. Slamming on her back, using all her might to push the blade away from her chest. Z pushes down with his forearm to his wrist only to laugh, "Got you."

He slashes down marking her stomach winning the little duel. Z stands.

Zane lends a hand: "You said for real?"

Lily furrowed her brow: "Yeah. I did."

It takes a moment to register that his hand is not a threat. Tensing up, she takes a hold of his hand pulling herself up. Zane glances at the others, "Great, everyone looks like they saw a ghost."

Getting a breather for a moment: "Alright class! You may start!"

Zane gets side eye from Lily. Ruby now feels glad she stayed with her friend. The rest of the class goes by in a flash, "What was I thinking?! I never saw Lily so distant before."

Lily blows the whistle excusing everyone. Heading for the locker gossip spreads like wildfire.

"Good job."

"Not this again. That was far from good! I just got on my favorite teacher's bad side!'

"Not my problem halfwit. Do you think they will care if you are on their good side when they are killing all the humans!"

"How do you know she is with them!"

"Doesn't matter if she is or not, they are too dangerous."

Zane shakes his head as if he was trying to shake the thoughts out of his head. Zane leaves the lockers in a new set of clothes, "I have no choice. Sorry, Lily."

Zane gets breakfast in the cafeteria. Getting in the long line, sliding a tray down to get a sandwich and milk along with an apple. Zane finds a spot alone to gather his outlandish thoughts. "Today's mission is finding a club to join. Before all that, I need to know who you are."

"We have gone over this already! Zane buddy, I am you."

"You say that, but I am talking to you which means I am talking to myself. I lost my mind haven't I?"

"I don't know how you can be that dense, it's your power. The moment you absorbed your friend's power, I awakened."

"If that is true then what was that ancient the others were talking about."

"Who knows, I only know as much as you do, well besides me being the smarter one and far more observant than you. I did notice its presents as soon as you absorbed a super."

Ruby waved her hand in Zane's face: "Helloooo~ Earth to Zane~"

Zane blinks rapidly: "Huh? Oh, sup Ruby."

Ruby takes the greeting as an invitation to sit down: "You look lost in thought. Is anything wrong?"

Zane rolls his eyes: "Ruby, why do you bother me?"

Ruby: "Well you are my brother, I want to make sure you are safe."

Zane: "Ruby. It's not just that isn't it?"

Ruby pauses for a few seconds to come up with an answer she feels is right. She finds the right answer, an emotional answer.

Ruby's mood darkens: "You are all I have left. I don't want to be alone Z. I'm scared."

Zane sighs: "I know Ruby. You have nothing to fear, I'm not going anywhere."

The answer seems to be the one she was looking for. Her bright smile returned.

Ruby's temperament changed in an instant: "Thanks Z! I needed to hear that."

The two eat in silence, content with their answers. "When did it get so hard to say I love you? I hope my answer is enough to convince her so."

Zane ends his breakfast with an apple. 

Zane holds his tray: "Are you ready to fight crime sis?"

Ruby's normal attitude multiplied: "REALLY!?"

Zane: "I wouldn't have anyone else."

Ruby resorted to just happy noises as Zane throws away his trash and headed for his next period. 

Ruby: "YAY!!!"

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

"Great! I will need to focus on this class if I ever want to fight supers."

Period three, Weaknesses and strengths of each super's power. The class seemed dull to most, mainly cause no one cares about anything besides what they are going to do after school. "Poor Mr. Zimmerman, he gets no respect. All boiling down to his powers, the problem, he doesn't have any."

Zane strolls in: "Hey Mr. Zimmerman. What's today's lesson?"

Mr. Zimmerman gives a weak smile: "Hello Zane! Today's subject's focus is on fire supers."

Zane finds his seat: "Thanks for the heads up, Mr. Zimmer."

Mr. Zimmerman: "Anytime."

Mr. Zimmerman is no one's favorite teacher, the man looks like your average everyday stressful middle-aged man. Hair receding, wearing a green sweater vest in beige pants paired up with dressy shoes. For being an underpaid teacher, he sure does have an angel's patience. Doesn't help that teachers WITH powers get paid more than those without. Kids start flowing into the class at a steady pace. The majority of the students chatted through Mr. Zimmerman's greetings. 

Zimmer manages to get his voice out through the sea of voices: "Today's topic of conversation is Fire supers and how they function."

The constant chatting between Mr. Zimmer's lessons is expected, the only difference today is the glances from other students who gossip daily. Now and then the popular girls glance his way, trying to observe Zane every opportunity they get. Zane is heavily focused on the lesson to take notice of their action. 

Zimmerman clicked to the next slide: "Fire supers are by far the most common power and one of the most vulnerable supers. Their power relies on body warmth, the warmer the body the bigger the flame. That's why you don't see many high-ranking superheroes besides Miss Ember the eighth-ranked in the world. Another of their weakness is air, they need it to start the flame which can also backfire against a wind super. If you are a fire super, don't get down on yourself, they have a ton of strengths too. The angrier the fire super gets, the more flame is produced. They can be a superior hero!"

Mr. Zimmerman's pun goes unnoticed. 

Clicking to the next slide depicts a fire super in cold storage holding himself: "To take down a fire super without outright killing them is to drop their temperature until they undergo hibernation. If you go this route, do it quickly and swiftly. Angering them can foil the whole plan."

The kid in the front of the class uses telekinesis to pass out papers. Zane raises his hand, waiting to be called on by Mr. Zimmer.

Mr. Zimmerman: "Yes Zane?"

Zane put his hand down: "What were to happen if you made a fire super cry."

Mr. Zimmerman nods: "Great question Zane! It all depends. Crying can turn into anger, if they are not the angry type and start to cry. It will decrease the fire's intensity. Awesome question Zane, any other questions?"

No one answers. 

"Wow, you do have a brain. Color me impressed."

"Whatever. If we are going to do this, we will need all the help we can get."

"We are going to need a lot more help than this."

Zane answers the twenty questions on the paper, not missing a beat. Zane turns in his paper at the front desk.

Mr. Zimmerman analyzes it: "Nice job Zane. Everything is correct, you may leave early for lunch."

Zane: "Thanks, Mr. Zimmerman. Catch you on Wednesday."

Zane heads back to the cafeteria getting the first pick of the food. Picking a seat in the middle of the cafeteria, Zane picks at his food. In a matter of a few minutes, the cafeteria gets flooded full of students. The first to join him are a horde of popular kids heeded by Tyson.

Tyson sits beside him in a joyous mood: "You never cease to amaze me, dude!"

Zane raises a brow: "Why is that?"

Tyson sticks his phone in Zane's face. It's a video of Zane taking Lily down. 

Tyson pats him on the back: "Man you are the talk of the school!"

One of the groupie girls: "You can show me your takedowns anytime."

On cue Faylin buts in: "Shut your trap, Jessica! Go slobber on someone else!"

Faylin shoves herself into a spot: "Beat it you vultures!"

The crowd disperses: "See ya later Zane!"

Tyson leads the popular kids to the football field. The table is now empty beside the two. 

Faylin curled the end of a pizza slice to hold the contents in: "So, you took down a teacher. Gotta say you are getting one heck of a title."

Zane chugs his water: "And what title would that be?"

Faylin struggles to eat the cheese: "*Muffled* They are calling you Zane the ruthless. *Finally defeats the cheese* I wouldn't fully agree on the title but I like the power behind it."

Zane tries being cheeky: "Is there a title you would bestow upon me oh great Faylin."

Faylin grins: "Okay imagine this, *she puts her hands up like she is presenting something* Zane the righteous."

Zane smirks: "I like it."

Faylin rolls her eyes: "You don't have to lie Zane."

Zane defends his answer: "I am serious Faylin."

Faylin takes a sip from her milk: "How did I not see you all this time?"

Zane: "It's a big school."

Faylin: "Yeah, but there is not a single person besides a few teachers who don't have powers. You are the only one, you think that will be a big deal."

Zane: "No one cares for the defective. The only reason I am known now is because of my sob story and how I stood up for myself."

Faylin: "You say defective like that's all you are. Zane, you did things not half of this whole fricken school would do! They don't have half the stones you have."

Zane's mood gets a boost: "Thanks Faylin."

Faylin takes another bite of the cheezy pizza: "Don't mention it."

The two finish up eating and chat all through lunch.

Faylin: "IF you are absolutely serious about becoming school president, you will need to join clubs and get your name to stand out more than others. If my memory is correct, your sister is doing just that."

Zane: "Yup, my sister is going to be a tough adversary."

Faylin bonces a flame on her fingers: "She has quite a headstart on you. There aren't that many people running either so it's going to be a battle of popularity."

Zane stretches: "Then I will need a partner to help me with this endeavor."

Faylin places a hand on her chest: "What? You are not saying me right?"

Zane gives a welp face: "No~ Who else Faylin!"

Faylin: "Yeah that was a dumb question."

She breaks out into smiles: "I accept!"

Zane: "Awesome! Let's get started tomorrow!"

Faylin: "Why not today?!"

Zane: "Cause I'm tired."

Faylin: "Don't tell me you are a procrastinator."

Zane: "The only thing I procrastinate about is making food."

Faylin gets up from the tables: "So tomorrow?"

Zane nods: "Yes, Tomorrow."

Faylin gives a toothy grin: "You better, I bet all my chips on you."

Zane stands up, stretching his legs: "I won't let you down *YAWN~*."

The two go their separate ways onto their last periods. Entering the classroom in the nick of time, Mr. Vogel sits on his polished leather cushioned old fashion chair delivering a set of daggers to Zane. His distaste for Zane can be spotted clear as day. 

Zane: "Hello Mr. Vogel Sorry I was lat-"

Mr. Vogel points towards Zane's assigned seat in the far back in the corner. A snob is a perfect description for him and humans are lower than dirt on his scale of respect. Zane finds his seat in this depressing classroom. 

Mr. Vogel starts his lesson with a social hierarchy pyramid: "To know how easy your life will be all depends on what powers you are born with. You can live life like those normal humans or you can use those powers of yours to climb the rankings of society!"

"If I didn't know better I think Mr. Vogel hates you."

"What gave it away?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe the way he told you to go sit, something like he didn't want to waste words on a powerless huma-"

Mr. Vogel raises his voice: "MR. ZANE!"

Zane replies disoriented: "Huh oh, yes Mr. Vogel!?"

Mr. Vogel points a ruler to the screen: "Please tell me, where are you on the ranking of society?"

A despicable smirk grows on Mr. Vogel's face.

Zane: "I don't know."

Mr. Vogel slides his ruler down the pyramid to the bottom: "This, Mr. Zane, is where you are."

Zane stows his tongue, "It's gonna be another great day in Mr. Vogel's class."

Zane zones out only picking up a few words from the soul-sucking demon named Mr. Vogel. 

Mr. Vogel moves his ruler back to the top: "Now back to the lesson. The way to the top is easy for the likes of the gifted. Like me."

"The only reason you act like that is your powers. I wonder how you would act without them. The power to control metal. He sure got lucky being born with that power instead of nothing. I bet my life he takes his powers for granted."

The class goes by in what seems like eons until the ring of the bell pulls the students from their depressing states. 

Mr. Vogel handing paperwork out as they go by: "Don't forget! Test Thursday!"

Zane couldn't feel more relieved to get out of that hell hole they call a classroom. "That man hasn't contacted me yet, he said five days. Does he mean business days?"

"Don't be foolish, the government has its hands full dealing with those high-ranking supers."

Students flood out of the school, many getting picked up by car or flying and running home, or even teleporting. Zane walked. Turning a corner, the same corner he saw Jen at. Instead of Jen waiting, it was a black SUV parked.

The black fully tinted window rolls down: "Get in Zane."

The window rolls back up followed by the backdoor popping open. Zane gets in, somewhat cautious of the ominous car. The man in black sits beside him as they drive away.

Man in black: "Sorry for the out-of-the-blue contact. We had our hands tied regarding the latest incident."

"Let me talk."

Zane had no objections.

Z: "Is this car soundproof?"

Man in black: "Powers of any kind will not be able to get through this car's interior."

Z keeps his eyes forward: "I am also sorry for getting involved in that incident, it was not what you asked me to do."

The man: "There is no need to apologize, we are indebted to you."

The man clears his throat and pulls a folder from his suit's inside pocket: "Down to business, *Handing the folder to Z* this is today's target that needs to be wiped from the records."

Z takes a peak, "Frank Delgado, Age thirty-seven, male, record, fifteen counts of murder along with robbery. Hmm~ his power is mind control. That will be a problem if we give him a chance to use it. Best to take him out in one blow."

Zipping open his backpack, he stuffs it in: "When do you want this taken care of?"

The man answers without hesitation: "Immediately."

Z: "Will do."

The car halts: "We will contact you once you finish this assignment."

Z hops out. Standing on the front lawn of his house.

The window rolls down: "Remember Zane, the world is counting on you."

The window rolls up. They drive away leaving Zane to prepare for tonight's mission. "Zane, she saw us get off the car."

"I know."

Zane heads inside closing the door behind him.

Ruby floats there in the sky, observing Zane and tailing him since he got in the car in the first place. Her eyes sharpen, "Z what have you gotten yourself into?"

 

 

 

 

 

0