Temporary chapter
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yello~~ Author here~~

I'm starting work again. My job is at a fast food restaurant and I normally work 8 to 10 hours each day. I have two days a week that I don't work, but those will be busy with laundry, showering, seeing friends, and other things that keep me alive. 

Tldr I'm busy now so chapters will be spotty.

In exchange, here's a fake chapter that has nothing to do with our plot!!!

-----------

Red.

Out on the battlefield, everything was red. The bayonets pierced the sky and it bled the same as the unlucky men on the ground. 

In the dark, those of us left alive carry the bodies out of no man's land. The cold ones go to the pile. The ones still screaming see the hospital tent. 

At first, I preferred those cold bodies. The quiet, peaceful lull in and around them as the other soldiers paid their respects calmed a bit of the fire of battle left in me. The pile was always silent. Other than the buzzing of flies. Since I seemed the only one with such a preference, I thought I might avoid carrying those screaming ones. But no.

Saving lives comes first. So I and three other soldiers fought a second battle -- to drag the kicking injured to the medical tent.

------Change POV to Bella

When I joined the war effort, I was pushed away from the fighting. "Be a doctor," they told me. The battlefield is no place for a little girl.

Now, I see the fighting drag it's way into my tent on the backs of wounded soldiers. The white tent turns red everywhere they touch. How fragile is this supposed safety. I see death in the eyes of the ones we couldn't save. In plenty who still live, as well. "The battlefield is no place for a little girl." Oh, but I'm here already.

In the blur of bodies and blood and medicine, one man stands apart. The red of the sunset find itself in his eyes. Apathy, not anger. I feel as if War would stand like this, in the lowest soldier's uniform.

I do my job and treat the man he carries, but I watch his back when he leaves. A soldier who invites death instead of fighting it. Strange.

------ change POV narrator

I find it amusing. The medicine tent, made out of white flags, gets no option to surrender. They will be fighting through the night against a more fearsome opponent than ours. Soldiers fight men. Medics fight death itself. Tomorrow, they will do the same.

That one little nurse, however. She didn't look to be fighting a battle. Her hands twirled through her work like an accountant at the paper solving yet another problem. There was no fear in her eyes as they met with the horrors of war and death. Just indifference. And a little bit of fire.

At breakfast, I asked one of my brothers a favor. Smiling gently, I approached the medicine tent with two bowls in hand. I fought the urge to smirk as I imagined what her indifference would become at my hands.

Just one of the bowls had a bit of a kick added to it. One dropoff ghost pepper sauce, courtesy of my brother.

-------------

Bella: why did War bring me food?

Narrator: taste it and find out ??

Bella: wHAT IS THIS?!?

Narrator: Oh sorry, is a soldier's meal too hot for you? Do you want me to go get you some baby medic food?? ??

Bella: Since when is War this childish??? ??

Author: Aren't our babies cute???

0