Stage III, Chapter XXVII: Light Strategy
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Don't forget to check the glossary for refreshers if needed! I spent a lot of time on it :(((

Hellnite is an interesting type of ore, with it literally having the name "Hell" on it. And so, this type of ore is usually only found in extremely hot places. 

And where else can we find hot temperatures? Why, volcanoes, of course. The surrounding area, while plagued with red hot mist, still contributes to the high grade Hellnite that form here. 

That was the problem. Navigating the area was sure to be a hassle, perhaps even more than the forest itself earlier. 

The forest, which had opened up to the volcano, lied behind. It was like it refused to grow any further. 

The momen Lucas had gotten close to the mist, his skin boiled immediately. A single touch had caused a burn, indicating just how dangerous it was. 

Now, what was the plan here? Even the horses were beginning to shrink away, unable to handle the extreme heat. So Kenneth had them head back into the forest, back into the cool grasp of its trees.

The Karman Krew had decided to wait for Aurelia, with some deciding to further inspect the area. 

It was essentially death to enter this cloud of mist, and Kenneth knew that. Despite it, he continued on looking for ways to get through it. 

He'd already found an ore deposit, thanks to the bright orange glow that Hellnite emitted. 

Eventually, Aurelia had returned from the forest, and was now with the rest. 

"Any ideas, Aurelia? I don't think we'll last a minute in this mist without our skin literally getting burned off." 

"Indeed. Do you think this is impossible to get through, my lord?" 

"Well, nothing's impossible. I'm just having a hard time thinking of an idea." 

"That's a very optimistic way of thinking, my lord. Perhaps I should use Forest Emergence here?"

"Wasn't that the spell you used back when we were rescuing Fawkes and the rest?"

"It was. I believe the emergence of a forest in this place will cause alert to the nearby villages, but it might help to cool down this area." 

"Ngh.... not yet. I don't want you to use that much mana immediately. I'll think of another way."

"As you wish. I shall be tending to the horses for the moment then." 

"I'll call you if I can't think of another plan." 

_____________

"Aurelia, could you do something for me?" 

"What is it, my lord? Have you decided to use my Forest Emergence spell?" 

"No, but I'll have to trouble you to use a different one. I know Nature doesn't exactly refer to plants only, but natural things." 

"And so," Kenneth continued on, " could you perhaps divert some of the sunlight to concentrate on a certain spot?"

"I've been forgoing the use of natural elements like this, and have focused on plants for the moment. But I believe I can try." 

"No worries. We'll have Lena work with you to help increase the heat in the area."

Kenneth gathered everyone around. By the looks of it, he had already formulated another plan to get through the mist. As expected of him!

Their main objective was not to remove the mist in the area, but rather navigate it efficiently enough to be able to mine the Hellnite required. 

And so, Kenneth had decided on heating the surrounding area. Using Lena's Light Magic, and Aurelia's Nature Magic, they would concentrate a certain amount of heat around them, heating up the mist.

The mist would then evaporate from the increasing heat, and allow them to see a good distance in it, enough to be able to move without issue. 

Now that the main objective had been set aside, the next things to do were to ensure that they do it in as little as possible time. 

Kenneth had read earlier that the mist wasn't as lonely as he had expected it to be. There were various monsters that had managed to evolve inside its scorching grasp, and survive. 

For all they knew, there could be ancient monsters, left untouched for centuries, and had grown to unbelievable heights. 

Not that the chance of that happening was big. The ecosystem in here was apparently more unforgiving. 

And so the Karman Krew had started on preparing to get through the mist.

Thanatos and Gwyar were not of much use, so they had been left to guard the horses in the forest. 

Lucas wasn't either, but he insisted he come. And like the person Kenneth is, he decided to let his favoritism take hold off him.

Lena wasn't too happy about it either, but soon agreed that Thanatos really couldn't do much in the light after immense persuasion from Kenneth.

The time was now. Aurelia was standing directly outside the pool of mist, and was chanting her magic, preparing to unleash it. 

Kenneth and Lucas was close nearby, watching the area for any unexpected monster attacks. 

And unexpectedly, Lena was in the sky, along with Catalyn. Using the tactic that Kenneth and Catalyn had employed back when they were obtaining the horses, the two had risen to the sky with the help of Catalyn's Gravity Magic, and took flight directly above the sea of mist. 

Lena, seemingly finished preparing her spell, notified Kenneth through his Link.

And after a few seconds, she received a reply back. Aurelia too had finished her spell.

"Alright, everybody ready up. On three, Lena will fire her light magic around us, and Aurelia will do the same, diverting the sunlight to our position. If all works, the surrounding mist should evaporate and disappear." 

After receiving nods of affirmation, both Lena and Aurelia simultaneously released their mana, and multiple rays of light began to shine on the ground below.

"Fuck, that's hot. Was this really the only way, little bro?" Lucas groaned. 

They were in the epicenter of the light, and were being bathed in its radiance. All of the heat generated was being focused right where they were. 

"You'll have to endure it for now. Look, it seems like its working." Kenneth pointed to the mist, and sure it was. 

The dense, foggy mist around them was beginning to disappear, and a few meters of ground were beginning to reveal themselves to them!

"I mean, I guess it works, but we'll need to do something about the heat." Lucas complained. His body was beginning to sweat from the heat. 

"Looks like it worked, my lord." Aurelia, who had finished chanting the spell, appeared beside them.

"Good job. Should we hurry on? We need to get going, before Lena runs out of mana." 

Unlike Aurelia, who had diverted the sunlight to their position, Lena's was pure mana. She had to supply it the whole way, and there was a danger of it weakening. 

The maximum time they could navigate the area's foggy mist was only for a few minutes! 

And so they ran.

1