Chapter 1 – Waking up
134 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everything feels dark and warm. I don’t feel like getting up. My body feels as if it has been crushed by thousands of books. Which, to be honest, wasn’t uncommon to happen in the bookstore. Books fell on me from time to time, because the rickety bookshelves always wobblin on occasion. Maybe I should fix those now that this has happened?

 

“...”

 

Why couldn’t I open my eyes? What happened to my hands and legs? They felt as if they'd gone numb. I feel weak and the ground beneath me feels warm. It feels as if I'm outside, I can feel the breeze and the sun feels nice. Wait… I can't remember the last thing I did when that shelf started falling. It’s all a blur. I know last night I was in my shop reading and there was an earthquake but, what happened next? The whole situation becomes fuzzy. My whole consciousness goes into a daze and I fall asleep. 

 

*Thump-Thump*

 

I feel warm, haven’t slept like this in ages, but who's knocking at this hour? It's as if someone is poking me. 

 

“Hey stop it!”

 

I’m suddenly lifted up into the cool breeze yet a warm entity seems to be holding me. I feel powerless as this stranger takes me with them. Maybe a firefighter has come to take me to the hospital and check me out? Now that I'm lifted up I came to the conclusion that I  have no legs and that I’m a lot smaller than I remember. These strangers' hands are on my... butt? Kinda rude if you ask me. The ride with the stranger is bumpy as I can tell they struggle holding me and opens what sounds like a door that slams shut behind us. It was a long ride but now I think I’m saved. I sigh internally. 

 

I’m set down on a wooden surface. I feel the stranger leave my presence, leaving me all alone. I wish I could move, it's as if I was in a coma but I'm wide awake. Soon the stranger returns but I feel a dark aura in their actions. I feel their hands get a tight grip on my side as they lunge towards me. 

 

*Chururururururu*

 

Something sharp is launched into the top of my head. W-What is this? Pain spreads throughout my head to my own body. I need to escape but how? The stranger starts craving into my head in a circular motion. Is he going to eat my brains? I’m too young to die! I’m only 20! The stabbing stops. 

 

“Shit I need to go to the bathroom, don’t you go anywhere pumpkin!” the strangers said. 

 

What a creep, He even called me his pumpkin while HE’S CUTTING OPEN MY HEAD!

*Swoosh*

 

I feel a cold breeze enter the room. 

 

“Omg! I’m so sorry for being late you were so hard to find!” says a sweet woman's voice. 

 

Am I being saved? 

 

“We have to hurry if we don't want to get caught, don't we?” 

 

I am lifted up with gentle cool hands. I'm set on a soft and squishy surface. Her movements are swift and fast. Ignoring the hole in my head makes me feel, it’s as if I could breathe again. I’ve been released. 

 

“You’re probably so confused about where you are and why you’re here.” 

 

she chuckles to herself. 

 

“Well you kind of cursed yourself. You were cursed from the deity of mischief, Kako.” she goes on to explain. “Kako is an evil god who rules over this world and punishes those who are greedy and unthankful. But lucky for you, you have me!” she says cheerfully. “Oh my I totally forgot to introduce myself hahaha… Well my name is Rosetta the witch”. 

 

A witch? I thought those only existed in fairy tales and novels. 

 

“I hope you don't mind flying, though I’m not really sure if you can see.” 

 

“Woah, slow down boy” She says to someone. 

 

A creature lets out a loud screech as it comes to a halt. Are we in danger? 

 

“Don’t worry, that's just my griffin, Theodore. Oh, I almost forgot about you being a pumpkin and all probably feels a little stuffy.” 

 

I feel the wind shift as Rosetta chants in a mysterious language. I feel stronger with every word she chants. The hole in my head begins to seal up.

 

*Pop*

 

The popping left me with two eyes, a crooked smile and a nose. I look around, shifting my weight, my eyes blinded by the sun. As soon as they adjusted I saw my rescuer. A lady with short green hair curled inwards on the ends, covered by a witch hat. 

 

“So. How about you introduce yourself to me” she says with a cheerful smile. 

“I- I CAN TALK?!” I yell in shock. 

 

I try to hold my excitement and compose myself. 

 

“My-my name is Jake, I’m 20 years old and a bookstore owner.” 

 

At least that's what I thought I was until now. 

 

“Hey you and that creepy guy called me a pumpkin what do you mean by that?” 

 

She begins to chuckle, her chuckle turning into thundurus laughing. She then turns her head to me and realizes I'm being serious. 

 

“Oh, wait hun you don't know?” 

 

Her face became serious and stern unlike the childlike and cheerful demeanor she had before.

 

“I want you to stay calm about what I’m about to show you” 

 

Looking directly into my eyes. 

 

“Okay...” 

 

I reply as calmly as I can. My heart begins to beat fast. Wait, do I even have a heart? Never mind that. What could be so serious that her whole demeanor had to change. She waves her wand.

.

*poof*

 

A purple smoke appears, clears away, and reveals a mirror.

8