A Raving Review
1.3k 4 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume I, Chapter 1: A Raving Review

 

"What is this bullshit??!" I can't help but exclaim aloud. I turn off my console to prevent myself from flinging my controller at the monitor. I didn't bother to save and immediately eject the pink disc, as if it could corrupt my device.

 

This cursed disc is a copy of the award winning otome game called 『Find My Love』, a game that is equally saccharine as it is bland. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but seriously, who finds this experience enjoyable? To start, I should consider the main cast of characters.

 

The heroine of FML is a pure-hearted, naive, and innocent girl named Dahlia Sweets. I would argue that she is also downright stupid, based on most of the game scenarios and dialogue options. 

 

Dahlia was given a plain yet cute look that allows players to easily self-project; her character design is much less striking than that of the three capture targets.

 

The star capture target is the Prime Minister's son and heir, Samuel Keene. He is tall and slender with neatly styled navy blue hair and a perpetually stony expression. He is the president of the student council at Tellheart Academy, and ranks first place every exam season. In addition to his intelligence, his skill for spell casting magic contributes to his prestige. Needless to say, Samuel is the most popular guy at the academy. Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about, he is nothing but the staple kuudere prince type, from his clean cut look to his robotic dialogue.

 

Another popular capture target is Clyde Hughes, the only son of a powerful Duke. He is well known for possessing rare healing magic. Appearance wise, he is shorter than the other capture targets (being a year younger), has messy green curls and large orange eyes. Unlike the quiet Samuel, Clyde is rather spunky, and seems standoffish at first. After getting to know the heroine, he opens up and reveals his 'cute' side. First aggravatingly rude, then sweet to the point of toothache- a run of the mill annoying tsundere.

 

Then there is Laurence Eaton, a gentlemanly and kind-hearted knight. He has soft, wispy blonde hair and pinkish eyes. His best feature is the light sprinkling of freckles across his always-smiling face. Out of the three capture targets, Laurence is the most affable and extroverted. His gregarious nature makes him popular in Tellheart Academy, but his status as a knight (rather than a pure-blooded noble) puts a damper on his reputation. I have yet to explore his route, but his character is probably the most appealing to me.

 

I'm tempted to reinsert the disc so that I can try out Laurence's route. However, my expectations and patience have utterly withered away after finishing the routes for Samuel and Clyde.

 

As for why? There are many issues with FML- the flat characters, predictable plot, and practically idle gameplay- but what takes the cake is the portrayal of the villainess: Ruelle Hughes.

 

I sigh and look at the cover of the disc case. There she is in the corner, scowling with hands on her hips while the rest of the main cast huddle together smiling. In the image, Ruelle has fiery and narrow red eyes, wild red locks, a beauty mark by her pursed lips, and wears extravagant clothes- her appearance matching her bold attitude.

 

Ruelle was adopted into the Hughes family and becomes the villainess either as Samuel's fiancé or as Clyde's adoptive sister. She has a mysterious illness that requires expensive medication, one that only nobles like the Hughes can afford. Despite this, she is distant with her adoptive family and behaves ‘discourteously’ to others in general, earning her a lousy reputation.

 

In both times I played FML, Ruelle directly criticizes and challenges the heroine and capture targets, warranting a miserable end in which she is removed from nobility and consequently dies without her medication.

 

In my eyes, Ruelle is not nearly horrible enough to be killed off by the plot or even deposed! She speaks her mind and doesn't cushion her words with politeness; she is direct and takes decisive action. There is nothing innately wrong with that. 

 

Ruelle was doomed just by being Samuel's fiancé and Clyde's adoptive sister: due to her position she was deemed inconvenient and disposed of. Her alleged 'brazenness' and 'schemes' are simply poor excuses to justify sentencing her to be at the mercy of her illness.

 

The only other main female character in FML is Ruelle, and she is treated like dirt. Why? For not being like the heroine? For having ties to Samuel and Clyde? I grind my teeth, ready to snap the game disc in two! 

 

I should calm down.

 

I know better than to give into my frustration. I haven't grown out of my short temper, but I've learned to manage the effects it has. In these situations, a shower is my best bet to grant me some relief.

 

I relish the feeling of warm water drumming on my back- as I thought, it never fails to calm me down. Closing my eyes, I turn to face the shower stream, only for my foot to slide on a bar of soap.

 

"WaahhRGH!" With a horrible lurch in my stomach, I'm sent smack into the tile floor, then into darkness.

 

Author's Note:

Hi there Scribble Hub! I hope you are interested in this story.

In this note I’ll describe the protagonist a bit so read it if you’re curious about what to expect from this story.

The protagonist isn’t helpless or without common sense, and she also isn’t a Mary Sue. She isn’t overpowered or sociopathic though she does have trouble with trusting others and forming emotional connections. She has a habit of attempting to be things that she isn’t- she’s a pessimist that tries to be an optimist, she has a short-attention span but she tries to be meticulous and organized, etc. She has personal interests, values, and quirks. Overall, her personality will affect her decisions and relationships. So if you are up for decent character development and complexity, this is for you. If you prefer a perfect protagonist that is superior to all other characters, this may not be your cup of tea (but I do recommend that you give it a try).

I really appreciate encouragement like commenting, likes, & following! That stuff keeps me writing for you all.

Which character are you the most curious about?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
22