Chapter 10 – The First Calamity
2.5k 4 102
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We returned to the town of Safir by noon; it was pretty shameful, but as we made our way to the inn, my stomach roared.

“Who is hungry?” Belfar asked.

I tried my best to hide my embarrassment, but my flushed cheeks outed me.

“Shame that we are not in my beloved hometown of Lursia. For I know a bakery there that makes the best pies in the region.”

“You are only making me more hungry,”

“Hey, I am a good guy. How about I invite you to eat and then you at last tell me about your wish?”

My stomach roared again.

“Would you like to go with us, Allisa?”

The elf just nodded. As a slave, she lacked the agency to say no. Other than Leah and another two cat-girls, the rest of the demi-humans stayed at the inn.

‘Peter’s cantina’

The name of the establishment did arouse any expectations of sophistication. Rightfully so; for when we entered the poorly lit common-room, the sturdy wooden tables were occupied by ruffians and burly, hairy men.

Nobody seemed to be aware that we eradicated the monster-core dungeon. Almost as if the dungeon had never existed.

Men and their women alike seemed to be more interested in drinking and playing cards.

They glared at us as we grabbed a table for six, but then went back to their vice.

Belfar looked back at them with disgust.

“This town is filled with rats,” Belfar said. “Lowest of the low. The trash that the realm does not want.”

“What makes you say that?” I asked.

“Look at them, going happy about their day, while someone else has to clean their mess-”

Belfar’s speech was interrupted by the clanking of heavy armor and by the hissing that followed.

“Master,” Allisa said, keeping her eyes down.

Just then did I notice Belfar turn his head towards a woman with long pumpkin-colored hair. She was in full plate armor and escored by two men dressed the same way.

“Horns?” she asked. “What a magnificent demi-human you have right here, Lord Belfar. You keep adding little creatures to your already extended collection.”

Belfar’s eyes were vivid with veiled, murderous intent.

“Ah, Inquisitor Regilia, what brings your kind into Safir? Are we not quite far from the cardina’s seat? It would be a shame if your holy magic was out of range. However, if you and your goons were sent to exterminate the dungeon - worry no longer, for you have arrived quite late,” Belfar said, with a smile that was short-lived.

The woman began to laugh, like an evil mother-in-law who knows she has done a crime.

“You speak of a dungeon as if we were adventurers. We are here for more important matters than that. It just so happens that on our way to our destination, I was able to smell Heresy. It seems I was not mistaken. That elf of yours reeks like it. If you wish I can burn her hands and feet, our records show that it makes elfs more obedient and less likely to sin.”

To think this woman was capable of saying such things in front of Belfar and five armed demi-humans. Belfar sure showed a good deal of restraint.

“I do with my slaves as I wish. Now please leave,” Belfar said.

“Ah, well. Perhaps we shall meet again,” Regilia said.

The meat pies arrived after Regilia and her two fellows left. The pies tasted really good.

“You did well in not speaking,” Belfar said. “If is not because of the dungeon, then it makes no sense for The Church to send a strike team to a small town like this.”

I did not know much about this world. But for sure, if the inquisition here acted the same way as it did in my world…

“Could it be because of a heretic?” I asked.

Belfar looked at me and paused in thought. Leah gave him a kiss on the cheek, but he ignored her.

“The Heretic would have to be a big fish, with huge magical potential. However, that seems unlikely, as this town’s abbey was built as a place of exile. Clergy who falls from grace either through politics or by sin is quietly sent here and forgotten about. Just like Leo and the rest. The Church never hurts their own.”

“But what if they did?”

“You speak as if you have someone in mind.”

“The Apostle of Light.”

Belfar laughed. “If a person like that existed around here, their existence would immediately be well known.”

Despite not believing me, Belfar’s violet eyes shined with ambition.

“But what if I am not wrong?” I asked.

“Then may the gods bless us. For only calamity awaits.”

 

Thank you for reading this far <3

♥♥♥

Please give the chapter a like! and leave a cookie/melon on the comments for a surprise!

102