Chapter 18 – The Wandering Witch
1.4k 8 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

### Chapter 18

A city like no other. An ever changing city. By the time we were done setting up camp. Hundreds of others tribes arrived. The demi-humans had quickly assembled into a horde. It was not only cat demi-humans, but other types too. Pigs, Rats, Lizards. They set up stands and were they peddled their goods. The city had quickly turned into a great Bazar.

But despite how closely The City of Tents resembled a civilization. The overwhelming majority of the species were nomadic. Making foraging for food a cause for concern. Some of Leah’s demi-humans began coming back either wounded or empty handed as they fought other tribes for game on the forests and plains surrounding the city.

Joanne was unable to help herself and healed every single one of them until she ran out of healing spells. Apparently the holy mother, or the Goddess that Joanne worshiped, kept her limited in the number of miracles that she could perform every day.

However, even with only a handful of them, she drastically changed her reputation within the tribe. For Leah and her minions began hugging Joanne every time we returned to camp. Instead of using their good will to get freedom for herself, she instead used it to get better treatment for Allisa. Which at that point was being under isolation and torture by the demi-humans.

I tried to experiment, and find out if the reputation of my companions influenced my reputation in any way. But when I tried to get a hug too, I would get hissed at. ‘Damn bastards,’

Through most of the day… Joanne and I spent buying supplies to make supper, but it was not going well.

“Harr darr brr-dah,” Said the Rat-faced demi-human, as he raised his arms in anger.

“I am sorry, but I have no idea what in the bloody hell you are saying! Why do none of you speak common!” I said.

“They refuse to trade with us…,” Joanne said. Almost crying.

“Maybe we should try a different merchant,” Joanne continued.

“No. We already went through twenty of them,” I said. “If we don’t buy bread… I don’t want to eat grass with water.”

I had not the slightest idea of how to speak demi-human or [Rat-Speak]

But I did my best to sound angry.

I grunted and yelled. I even waved my bag full of fish at him. But it did nothing to convince the merchant. What it did, however, was create an angry crowd around Jeanne and me.

“Maybe we should go,” Joanne said. Her timid voice trying to hide how scared she was.

“Fine!”

I pulled my tongue at the merchant and left. Or more like, we had to run. Some of the demi-humans did not take so kindly to my gesture and began chasing us through the dirty and crowded streets of the makeshift market bazaar.

I made sure to not let go of Joanne’s hand.

“Wait!, you are running too fast!” Joanne said, with very agitated breathing. The girl had no constitution.

I wanted to say sorry. But if seemed like a very bad idea to stop.

Either because of my high survival skill, or because of sheer luck, somehow we lost all of the demi-humans chasing us.

But just to make sure, we kept running a bit longer, and everything would’ve worked fine, had we not bumped into a stranger. Sending all three of us straight down into the ground.

“Ouch!” A girl yelled. “Huh, Another human!?

I stood up and there she was, a red haired girl with a slightly pointy hat. Perhaps a witch?

“I am so sorry,” She said. “Looking only at Joanne,” Please tell your master that I am sorry.”

The girl politely bowed her head when she made eye contact with me.

“You know I can speak right?” I said.

My voice startled her. For she jumped a step back.

“Ah!, you…. you can speak too!?”

“Is that weird?” I asked.

“Have you not been paying attention to all the demi-humans around you?” She asked. “When was the last time you saw any of them speak common?”

“You know Berry, she has a point,” Joanne said.

“I see how it is Joanne. I see how it is…”

“I am sorry,” Joanne said, lowering her gaze for a few seconds.

The girl we just met wasted no time to pull a journal and write notes down.

“Berry and Joanne,” She read out loud as she wrote a few notes. “Allow me to introduce myself… my name is Jasper.”

“Never forget that name,” she said. Pulling her pen away. “For it one day will be the name that occupies a full bookshelf at the Escolae Magia Acedemica.”

[Failed Lore check]

“Ohhh, could you perhaps, be a great magi?” Joanne asked. There was great interest displayed on her eyes.

I had no idea what the hell anything of that was.

“Well, you see…” Jasper’s stomach rumbled. “Right now, I am merely a destitute drop out,” Jasper’s voice became monotone. She was clearly in great pain. “It seems that the Academy kicked me out in absencia. But little do they know that I am exploring the uncharted lands!”

Jasper laughed with a villainous laugh. But it came out more cringe than evil.

“Oh… I see,” Joanne gave Jasper a sincere, but mostly polite, smile.

Joanne just didn’t seem to have a single idea of what in the world Jasper was talking about either.

“So… In other words… you are a bum,” I said.

Jasper plunged an imaginary dagger to her heart.

“Ouch,” She said.

“Noooo, Berry, you can’t be cruel like that,” Joanne said.

Then on that very moment, I had the most genius idea. Jasper very likely had a high INT ability score if she was part of an Academy.

“Jasper, since you seem to know these lands better than Joanna and I… Perhaps you could help us buy bread,” I said.

“Bread? But why can’t you not do such a simple task by yourselves?” Jasper asked. She did not sound malicious nor irritated. Merely curious.

“We been trying… but the merchants don’t want to trade with us, and they just throw horrible grunts and noises at us,” Joanne said.

“Huh,” Jasper said. “Let me see.”

“But we just ran away from them,” I said.

“Don’t worry. Violence is not allowed within the city. It is a great taboo,” Jasper said.

“Fine.”

Joanne, Jasper and I returned to the grumpy bread merchants.

“Go ahead, try to trade bread,” Jasper said, as she pulled her notes again.

Joanne approached the rat-merchant and got the same grumpy rejection that we had received a dozen times.

“I see what the problem is,” Jasper said, squinting her eyes.

“You do?”

“Yes!” She said, taking our fish bag out of Jeanna’s hand. With the bag on her hands, Jasper went to the cheese merchant down the street and traded our fish like it was not a big deal.

“Hey! but we wanted bread!” I yelled.

“Exactly, just watch!” Jasper yelled back, as she ran back towards us. “Ohohoho.”

Jasper presented the cheese to the bread merchant. The demi-human did not even look at it, he just handed over the bread. Accepting the exchange.

“See,” Jasper said. “Bread merchants only accept cheese, apples and mirrors. Do not ask me why. But this… I know.”

“How were we supposed to know that?” I asked.

“Worry not. For now you do! All those grunts the merchants have been giving you, is their attempt at communicating this very fact!”

“Thank you so much,” Joanne said. “You should join us for supper.”

I am not so sure we were in a position to invite anyone. But Joanne was always so kind.

“I indeed would love to, for I have hundreds of questions about the two of you… However… My master is waiting for me.”

“Your master?” I asked.

“Well, duh. You don’t suggest that a human can explore this far into the badlands freely? Trust me. I tried. The mark on my wrist is not voluntary.”

Jasper pulled her long sleeve, and showed Joanne and me a symbol that perhaps was a slave brand.

“Well. Don’t you worry Jasper. We’ll find a way to free you,” I said.

We were looking for ways to escape ourselves. Bringing an extra human with us, specially one that might be able to cast combat magic might be rather good idea.

“No, don’t worry, is not like that… Sure, I am just obligated to give him my first born child… and clean and cook for him. But in the big scheme of things, for the privilege to extend my research… is not that bad,” Jasper said.

Her eyes were void of life. But her smile indicated that she truly believed it to be a net positive for herself.

“Noooo, Jasper, have faith in the holy mother,” Joanne said.

“Yeah. Jasper, we don’t know what gross pig has ownership over you… with no offense to pig demi-humans, but we shall rescue you,” I said.

“Is not like that,” Jasper said.

“Noooo, you can’t resign to your fate,” Joanne said. “We will find a-”

Joanne’s face began turning very red.

“There you are,” Jasper’s master said.

“Ah-”

Joanne was still stuck with the word on her tongue.

“Ah-”

Tall, bare-chested and with killer abs. He raised Jasper with one arm and then carried her on his arms as if she weighted nothing.

My eyes got stuck staring at his chest. The more I thought about looking away, the more effort it took to do so.

“Did you made new friends?” He asked Jasper.

“Ah-”

With my eyes stuck, and Joanne still on shock. Time was of essence. I jumped straight at Joanne.

“Don’t look!” I said. As I covered her eyes. She in turn pushed her palms against mine. Thereby, breaking the spell the demon had on me.

“D-don’t worry B-berry. I’ll protect you f-from sin!” Joanne said.

“What sin!?” I asked.

But she did not respond. Instead she began whispering her ‘Forgive me holy-mother, Forgive me holy-mother,’ repentance.

Someone with abs like that, very likely had legendary strength attributes. A fight with him wouldn’t be easy. No wonder Jasper thought it was futile and has resigned her fate to being that monster’s wife.

“B-Berry… why is your nose bleeding,”

“J-Joanne, you are peeking, aren’t you?!”

“N-no… H-HERESY!” Joanne’s palms and face burned with intensity.

“Your friends are very funny, Jasper.”

“Indeed,” Jasper said. “That demi-human girl, Berry. She speaks just like you. And the two of you got horns. Could there be some form of connection here? Hmmm. I must investigate further, this might be a prove to be an important key in my research.”

“Sorry, but I have never seen these two friends of yours before,” He said. “But allow me to introduce myself. I am Baal, third prince of the Stone Minotaur Tribe.”

“Say something,” Joanne whispered. “Is not polite to stay quiet,”

“Then you speak,” I said.

“I-”

Joanne tried to say something.

“Hey Jasper, would you mind if I took these two into my harem?” Baal asked.

“Why would I care?” Jasper asked.

“No!” I yelled. I had to put an end to this madness. I was still a man, at least in mind.

“I am already taken!,” I said.

“I am taken too!” Joanne yelled soon after. But she was awful at telling lies.

“Oh, and to whom would that be?” Baal asked.

“To… to Joanne of course!” I said.

“Ehhhh!?” Joanne yelled. “Oh no! I have s-sinned!”

Joanne was so shaken. She was unable to cover my eyes properly. Allowing me to peek into the market around us.

Just as the situation reached a critical point. An uninvited guest arrived.

“So this is why the bread never arrived,” Belfar said.

“Look, another human,” Jasper said. Quickly pulling her notes again.

Leah hissed in the background.

“Excellent. Why don’t we all just grab something to drink?” Belfar said. “I am sure we have much to talk about.”

“Very good idea… Human,” Baal said.

“How would you even get Leah to approve of that?” I asked.

Just right after I said that. Belfar gave Leah a very loud kiss. Somehow it worked, for that night, there was barrels of fire-water for all of Leah’s tribe. That shameless bastard.

52