Chapter 31 – Dropped to the floor
527 1 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Nojiko POV)

Watching Nami draw a map of the area we were walking around with a smile on her face  I also smiled while thinking about how happy Nami must be, being able to both find something she likes to do that she also happens to be amazing at. 'Thankfully we have the money to buy her material to learn with now, with how she acts whenever she isn't drawing she might have just stolen it all if we couldn't afford it.'

Sighing at the fact I might have had to help Nami hide the fact she could have been a thief, my actions seemed to catch her attention as she turned to me with a curious expression. "It's nothing, I was just thinking about my training with Mom.'

Smiling wryly when hearing my words Nami then went back to drawing her map while walking around. 'Now if only she would see Bell-mere and me as her real mom and big sister.'

After walking around for a little longer we made it to the coast of the Island where Nami then pulled out a new sheet of paper to start another map. "Why don't you continue on the map you were just using? There's still a lot of space."

My question caused her to stop her actions for a second as she looked at me with a wide smile on her face. "I have the entire Island mapped out now in smaller parts so I want to start on a larger map that uses all of the smaller ones so that it can be as de-."

"Hey there, can you show me to the village near here? I got lost after helping Momoo find a good spot to rest." Cutting off what Nami was saying with that question, a tall figure with six arms and spiky white hair whose face looked like an octopus emerged from the water. Quickly I pulled Nami behind me to hide her from the strange-looking person that just appeared.

'He doesn't seem to want to hurt Nami or me. Is he some sort of traveler like Robin and the rest of them? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt I suppose.'

"What do you need in the village?" I asked that question to see what he wanted there, thinking his answer would confirm my thoughts about him. Looking confused and then like he just realized something after hearing my question the strange-looking man smiled before apologizing and then responding to me.

"My name is Hatchan, we came to this island to take it over. The rest of my crew should be at the village nearby, that's why I wanted help finding it." His words shocked both Nami and me as I could feel her shudder behind me as she tightly held my shirt. Breathing out slowly to calm me I then stared the man in the eyes.

"What do you mean your crew?" The octopus man Hatchan looked confused for a second before he started to Laugh then saying.

"Arlong decided to take over this Island.  As long as you can pay 50,000 beri for each of yourselves that Arlong is charging you can continue to live is what he said." His words both scared and relieved me, relieved at the fact we can afford the cost of our lives but scared at the fact that we don't have the money on us and he might want the payment as soon as we show him where the village is.

Biting my lip and drawing a little blood I asked another question hoping for a positive answer or else I would have to try and find a way for Nami to escape and make it home. "We can pay 50,000 after we get home, we don't normally carry money on us. Can we go there to get it after we guide you?"

Holding my breath in anticipation for his answer while I could feel that Nami had done the same with how she had stopped shaking and frozen up. Looking confused again the pirate named Hatchan smiled and said.  "Ok, you just have to pay it later when Arlong asks for it."

Sighing in relief at his answer I then turned to Nami as I pulled her as close to me as I could, having one of my arms draped over her shoulder trying to make her feel as safe as possible as I used my other arm to hold the bag she keeps all her maps and supplies in.

Walking towards the village with the still smiling octopus man following behind us we eventually got close enough to see the outskirts to which the octopus man walked up next to me causing me to hide Nami from him as much as my body would allow for as he scratched his chin while looking at me.

"I've never been here before. Can you show me to the center of the village? That's where the rest of my crew should already be." Cursing in my mind I wanted to yell at him for not letting us go yet but instead, I mustered up all my remaining courage as I asked.

"Can my little sister go back home first? I can guide you there myself." Feeling the grip Nami had on my arm tighten enough to bruise me I kept eye contact with the man, waiting for his answer.

"Why not? I only need one of you to guide me." Sighing In relief I turned to Nami to find her now staring at me with tears in the corner of her eyes. Smiling at her I pat her head before wiping the tears away.

"Go home, I'll be there later." She started to shake her head as more tears threatened to fall but I just hugged her before wiping at the corner of her eyes again and speaking before she could.

"Let your big sister handle this,  just go tell Mom everything that happened." Not giving her a chance to argue with me I shoved her map bag into her arms before I pushed her away and turned from her while starting to guide the pirate who for some reason patiently waited for us to finish talking before I guided him to the center of the village.

'I can't tell if he's a bad guy or not.' Thinking that we eventually got near the center of the village where I could see a large group of human-fish hybrid pirates similar to Hatchan. One of them with a pointy nose looked as if he had just finished declaring something to everyone that was gathered around him.

"Thank you." Saying this to me Hatchan then walked past me but after only making it a few steps someone in a familiar-looking cloak appeared before the pointy nose pirate while punching him in the stomach, making the pirate spit out blood before toppling onto the ground causing Hatchan to stop in his tracks and just stare at that scene.

Looking at the familiar cloaked person I found the pointy nose pirate now floating into the air before slamming into the ground so hard he went through it effectively already being buried. Just as that happened another person in another familiar cloak appeared beside the first one as two giant arms came out of nowhere and squashed all the pirates that were closest to the pointy nose one. 'Thankfully Nami isn't here, she doesn't need to see something so bloody.'

Just as I was thinking this another five people in familiar-looking cloaks appeared next to the first two before one of the five who was wearing a fox mask separated from the group and appeared in front of one of the pirates while poking a finger into their chest where their heart should be. Pulling out their finger and before the pirate that was just pierced could hit the floor the fox masked person disappeared and then reappeared a few feet away in the middle of a group of the pirates. Once the first pirate's body hit the floor all of the other ones around the fox mask suddenly started to collapse as well, blood pouring from all of their chests.

Gaping in shock at what just happened, as I assume four cloaked figures who were standing there staring at the one with a fox mask were also doing, I looked around and found all of the villagers and pirates also in a similar state. Soon and one by one though the cloaked figures suddenly started disappearing from where they stood before reappearing at different parts around where all of the shocked pirates stood.

One of the cloaked figures wearing an owl mask seemed to be creating something thin and pointy that they would then throw at the pirates, piercing multiple pirates in the chest each time they did causing the pierced pirates to collapse on the ground and stop moving. The closest figure to that one wore a swan mask and wielded a sword that with each swing would cut the weapons and entire bodies of the pirates they faced in half as if their sword was a hot knife cutting through butter.

Suddenly at the other end of the pirate crew, there seemed to be a light blue sphere engulfing a large number of the pirates. Looking at the center of the sphere there was one of the familiar cloaks with the person in it wearing a raven mask. 'What's up with all the bird masks?'

Not giving me any more time to think the raven masked person unsheathed the sword they had on their back before making a quick slice in the air and then re-sheathing it. As soon as that happened the heads of all of the pirates inside the room came off and they started screaming in terror before the sphere around them disappeared and they all went silent hitting the ground at the same time their now headless bodies did.

After watching that scene and even after everything I witnessed that scarred itself into my memory as a toddler I still felt a cold chill run down my spine, being unable to stop myself from shaking. Not stopping there though, one of the people in the cloaks who wore a butterfly mask walked up to the Raven masked person appearing to ask them something before pointing at a bunch of pirates who were seemingly unconscious on the ground.

Walking over to the collapsed pirates the person in the raven mask held out his hand before that same blue sphere repapered just large enough to contain them all. Not wanting to watch that scene again I turned away to find the person with the bunny mask walking my way while smiling.

(Nami POV)

Watching Nojiko walk away with that pirate following behind her I dropped the bag that was shoved into my hands as I covered my mouth and began to cry. 'Why did you go alone? It would be safer together.'

I wanted to chase after her but remembering what she had just told me I turned in the direction of our home as I ran towards it as fast as my legs would let me while constantly wiping away at my eyes so that I could see. Making it home I slammed open the door to find Bell-mere sitting down at the kitchen table. Looking up at me in annoyance she was about to scold me before she saw my appearance and shot to her feet rushing to my side.

"What's wrong? Where's Nojiko? Why are you crying? What happened to your maps?" Checking my body from head to toe in worry before pulling me into a hug when she realized I wasn't hurt caused me to once again remember what Nojiko had told me before pushing me away and the tears came out harder as I tightly hugged Mom back and in a hoarse voice started to explain everything that happened after me and Nojiko made it to the coast up until I slammed the door open.

After telling her everything I looked up at Mom and asked. "Can you go get big sis Nojiko? What if they don't let her leave after she shows him the way?

Smiling at me like everything was fine, Mom rubbed my head as she spoke in a calm voice. "I'll go get her right now, there's no need to worry."

Using her shirt to wipe the tears from my eyes Mom then continued. "It would probably be best if you went to sleep for a little while."

I was about to tell her that I wanted to follow her to the village before she stopped rubbing my head and raised her hand above me. I wanted to ask what she was doing before she spoke again. "I'm sorry for this but I can't risk you getting hurt."

As soon as she said that she swung her hand down and everything suddenly went dark.

25