Chapter 36 – Chin rest
520 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Emma POV)

"Wake up! Wake up!" Slowly opening one of my eyes while being pushed back and forth like a swing I saw a lavender-haired boy with heterochromatic eyes, one emerald green and the other ocean blue pushing his little hands against me in an attempt to get me out of bed.

I let a smirk form on my lips and it seemed Rune noticed it as he tried to step back but it was too late for him.

"Wah!" Pulling Rune onto the bed I threw the covers back over us as I started using him as a plushie to cuddle with back to sleep.

"Let go of me! Why are you so strong!" Ignoring his pleas and the struggle he was putting up to break free I pulled him closer to myself as I rubbed my chin on the top of his head eventually using it as my chin rest. Feeling him go limp in my arms I smiled at my victory but that didn't last long.

"I finished it. I wanted you to come to eat breakfast with me so you could see it with everyone else but I guess you don't want to." The second I heard his disappointed tone I jumped out of bed with him still in my arms and made my way to the kitchen.

"Of Course I want to see it. No one wants to see it more than your big sister."

Laughing while leaning against me and enjoying being carried Rune and I entered the kitchen to see everyone already eating.

"Oh he got you out of bed, even Robin can't do that." Glaring at Monet I scoffed and then rebutted.

"Of course Robin can't get me out of bed, if she enters my room she isn't leaving until-" Before I could finish though I found a clone of Robin standing next to me while holding her hand over my mouth.

"Don't be like that in front of Rune, you were able to corrupt me but he needs to stay innocent." I wanted to argue with her on that but looking back on my life so far in this world there is an extremely high chance I might corrupt my cute little brother.

Looking away from her and ignoring Monet who was laughing at me I walked up to the table before sitting Rune down and going to make out plates. After we all had eaten, Rune cleared his throat before standing on the seat he sat on and pulling a piece of paper from his jacket pocket. "I finished drawing the jolly roger."

Unrolling the sheet of paper it revealed a skull with two hearts for eyes one being whole and the other being cracked in half, a wide toothy smile and the bones that crossed the skull had heart-shaped ends. 'Cute just like him.'

Scooping Rune up into a hug I started to praise him. "Amazing, I knew it was a good idea to let you design our jolly roger. Many will fear our flag but many more will be filled with hope when it's seen, your drawing captures my ideals perfectly. I couldn't have done better myself. Your ama-."

Before I could continue any further I once again found a hand on my mouth but this time it belonged to Rune. "That's enough big sis."

Starting to gather fake tears in my eyes I batted them slightly and some started to fall out, startling Rune. Quickly he tried to comfort me. "I'm sorry, you can continue all you want, I won't stop you anymore. Please don't cry."

Stopping my tears immediately after hearing him I pulled him in closer to me and rubbed my cheeks against his. "I truly have the smartest and kindest little brother in the world. Your future wife is so lucky."

"Gross, don't talk about stuff like that." Laughing at Runes' response I hugged him some more before ruffling his hair and setting him down. Looking at everyone I said.

"It's time for us to go paint the ship, did you all conclude the color scheme and new figurehead?" Turning to look between each other they all nodded before Robin spoke.

"We will be replacing the red on the hull of the ship with a lavender one and all of the railings aboard will be painted black. The deck will be brown so we can replace that wood at water seven, and the interior walls will be a dark blue." Nodding at that I asked.

"And the figurehead." Turning to look at Sugar she continued.

"We all believe that that would be the best choice for a figurehead." Scratching my chin at their decision I asked.

"There is a chance we will get found out if we go for this. Will it be ok?" Joining In on the conversation from the side Mom said.

"That's ok, by the time anyone has made the connection between the two you all would have already revealed yourselves to the world." Figuring it must be ok if Mom said so I decided to correct one thing.

"We will be getting a new ship before we reach water 7 so re-wooding the deck will be pointless." Holding one of her hands to her cheek Robin replied.

"I forgot you had told me that if only someone would have let me pay attention when I was getting information from them." Smiling at her attempt to tease me I asked.

"How many days until you can pounce on me." Without missing a beat she answered.

"13 days, 12 hours." As quickly as she had said that she had covered her mouth but it was too late as everyone was already staring at her wide-eyed. Starting to clap Monet applauded Robin before Reiju also joined in praising her. The more they "complimented" her the redder she got before she eventually dashed out of the kitchen while saying.

"I'll go get the paint." Once she left the room I looked at Monet and Reiju before thanking them. "Please keep it up, the more embarrassed she gets the harder it will be for me to walk in a few weeks."

My words caused the both of them to laugh but that quickly stopped when Rune asked. "Why won't you be able to walk?" Patting his head I pointed to Dad before saying.

"Go ask Dad, he has experience not being able to walk." Turning red at my words Dad cleared his throat before speaking.

"Ignore your sister, she was dropped on the head as a baby and sometimes says things that make no sense because of it." Rune seemed to immediately believe Dad's words as he looked back at me with a sympathetic look and I didn't know if I should feel angry or happy at him.

'I guess my emotions are even as all things should be.' Patting Rune on the head once more I then disappeared from the kitchen trying to catch up to Robin before she got too far from the ship.

"I love the back view, can you walk back towards me so I can see it better?" Stopping in her tracks Robin then turned around to face me with a red face.

"That's the expression I like to see." Before she could speak I appeared next to her and kissed her on the cheek before holding one of her hands in mine and winking.

"According to you, it's only 13 days left so I'm sure you can wait before I kiss you any more intimately than that. Pouting her lips Robin mumbled something about making me pay 1000 fold but that just made me excited for the future as I dragged her into town

After we got everything we needed we made our way to Arlong's old ship where we met everyone else. Waving to the group I exclaimed. "Nojiko, Nami you're here already."

Waving back at me while smiling, Nojiko responded. "Of course, we wouldn't miss this for anything."

Nodding beside her while crossing her arms over her chest Nami added. "I can't wait to see what Rune drew for the jolly roger, can you show us?"

Smiling at her enthusiasm I pulled out the paper I had snagged from Rune before handing it over to them. Opening it they scrutinized it for a second before both smiling. "It's good, it matches with the crew seeing as how there are so many couples."

As Nojiko said the word couples she glanced at Sugar but it seemed only Nami, Robin and I noticed. 'She's been trying for years now to get closer to Sugar to no avail. I truly applaud your determination Nojiko, I'm rooting for you and will do everything in my power to help you.'

As I was making this resolution to myself Nami had pat Nojiko's shoulder trying to reassure her that it would work out In time. Smiling at us she thanked us before we all got on the ship and began the multiple-day job of re-painting and redecorating the ship to change it into something completely different than what it was.

Once we got to the storage room of the ship though there was a chest just sitting in the middle of the room. Walking up to it and opening it I kinda hoped it would grow legs and try to eat me. To my disappointment it wasn't a mimic and the only things inside were a note, an internal log pose, and a vivre card. Opening the note it read.

'You should find this after your Grandma and I have already left, we're sorry we couldn't stay any longer than we did but our job won't let us. I've left my vivre card and a log pose to the island we will be on just in case you lose the vivre card. If you continue your current path then we will meet again in the future. Until then please tell Rune we love and miss him. -Much love Grandad/Grandma.'

"They never said what it is they do as a job, before meeting them I always figured they would be retired." Agreeing to Robin's words I tucked the vivre card in a safe location before heading off to find Nami.

(Pietas R. Rune POV)

Watching Big Sis chase after Robin I started to smile thinking about what she said about my artwork. 'Of Course, I'm amazing, I'm your little Brother after all.'

Suddenly snapping me out of thinking about Big Sis I found Monet ruffling my hair. "That look on your face was just like Emma's whenever she is gloating, you two are related."

Smiling even wider after hearing her words I asked. "Are we the same?"

Ruffling my hair some more she didn't answer me but just started to laugh instead as she picked up Kuina and left the kitchen. 'She always does that, just answer my question.'

Staring at the door they left through I wanted to chase her down for an answer but last time I tried I got lost in a snowstorm. Being pat on the head again I looked up to find Reiju. "You and your Big Sis are a lot alike, she's just a perv-"

Before she could finish her words though Law covered her mouth.

"Why did you stop her? I was about to learn how I'm different from Big Sis." While looking at Reiju he spoke to me.

"Don't listen to her she was also dropped on the head as a baby, Gauge can explain what you want to know. He has a lot of experience dealing with someone like your Sister after all.

Turning to look at Dad I found him standing up while pointing at Law. "How could you betray me like this, I thought we were bros"

Hearing Law laughs behind me he then said. "Sorry but I don't want Reiju to corrupt him, I'm sure you can figure out what to do."

Before I could ask him what he meant he grabbed Reiju and carried her out of the kitchen. "Why do you all carry each other?"

Hearing Dad sigh behind me I turned back to him. Walking up to him I was about to ask what all those words I didn't know meant but before I could Dad picked me up and put me on his shoulders before asking. "Do you want to go with me to find a nice and big sea king for dinner?"

Hearing him I started to bounce while swinging my legs back and forth. "I'll take that as a yes."

Putting my arms around Dad's head, I gave him a big hug before we left as I asked him. "Can you go over to Mom?"

Without saying anything he walked over to Mom and bent over enough for me to hug her.

"Be safe and make sure not to let go of your father." Hugging her a little longer Dad eventually stood back up making us let go of each other.

'He always cuts my hugs short when I'm on him like this.'

"Sis's food tastes better." As soon as I said this Mom started to laugh and Dad asked in a sad voice.

"Do you think so?" Not giving him an answer I turned my head away from him and could hear Mom laugh even harder.

25