Ch1 Her name is Fleur
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  Rhodonite hill was named, as was tradition in many peasantry locations, for what can be found there. The hill was much like the majority of other nearby hills when it received its name; there were sunflowers near the top, shrubby oak trees on the north side, and willows at the bottom. But rhodonite hill is named for what made it unique, a handful of dark rocky outcropings marbled with pastel pink rhodonite veins.

~so go off to bed~
~little sleepy head~
~it's not good to fuss~
~setting sun would blush~

A beautiful young lady is singing a lullaby into the sunset, standing on some exposed rocks at the top of the slightly steep hill. Although her stature and figure are a bit modest, her face suggests an age of slightly less than two decades. Because nobody else is around to hear her, she should only be singing for the simple joy of the act. The lyrics are less than memorable, but she has a soothing voice.

~so give me my hand~
~and take back your hand~
~it's not good to fuss~
~setting sun would blush~

It doesn't seem like she remembers the song properly. She is only stringing together a number of rhymes in a somewhat disordered manner. And yet the song gives a mystical impression. Crickets chirp to her rhythm; the grass rustles in passing gusts of wind when she pauses.

~do not be so sad~
~neither be so mad~
~we'll sing once more in~
~our secret heaven~

Her eyes were a cloudy pastel pink, but silvery flecks would glint in the fading sunset as she swayed back and forth in time with her song. Not the kind of eyes that should belong to a human, they faintly glowed with energies both vital and arcane. If these eyes ever saw anything, it would not be by sunlight.

~tomorrow again~
~together again~
~with you forever~
~I'm here forever~

Despite wearing a cotton dress, it might be a stretch to call her properly clothed. A light brown fuzzy garment, it is a tangled mess of fibres rather than more normal woven, bleached, and pressed cloth. The appearance reflects how she crudely stuck her head and hands through an unprocessed mass of cotton, then stretched it down past her knees to flatten it a little.

~at the end of day~
~no more time to play~
~so we say "good night"~
~and we say "sleep tight"~

A large pair of slits are torn open on the back of her dress, from just outside of her shoulder blades to the edge of her spine at the waist, perhaps by a dull knife. Four gossamer wings emerge from the slits, seen only by the rose shade they give to everything behind them. The top two are long and slender, folded against the sides of her torso and hips. They flare out a little before ending past the hem of her dress, a few inches above and out from her ankles. The bottom two are shorter but nearly circular and have a large surface. They rest folded together and sticking out from her lower back.

~I'm here forever~
~with you forever~

When she finishes her song, the sun is fully set. The sky is darkening twilight, having faded from pink through heliotrope and amethyst and is now lingering at a dark indigo. Fireflies and litebugs are flickering in the evening gloom, but there are no stars are visible. As she finishes her song, stretches a bit before narrating her thoughts as if privacy were an unknown concept.

"I had fun today, even though he didn't come."
"I know he'll come tomorrow, and then we will play even more than ever before."
"Goodnight sunflowers, goodnight crickets, and I'll sleep with you tonight lilac"

She walks over to lie down in a densely copsed lilac bush. The tangled branches simply don't impede her as she crouches down to sleep. Trunks and branches grow out from the sides of an uneven stump covered in thin bark, but when she lays face down it holds her snugly as if molded to her form. A fine mesh of elastic twigs gently support her head, chest, and hands as she settles in. Her thin wings unfold to rest on pillows of soft leaves as she falls into a comfortable slumber. Indeed, the lilac bush mimics her shape because it grew up around her. She has been sleeping here for much longer than only a few days.

Her name is Fleur, and she is a fairy of nature.

0