Chapter 1: What do I do?
63 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: What do I do?

 

Before my mind can even make a decision, my body started running along the winding road that leads to the peak of the cliff. 

Maybe because it’s been a while since I was outside that I am reminded of how unnatural everything is. This town used to be so bright and cheerful. But now, as I pass through empty stalls upon empty stalls, I’m reminded how much the world has changed. 

What was once the most lively spot in the little town of Naver is now a desolate place devoid of people and the cheerful spirit it used to have. 

It’s the eve before Christmas too.

This day used to be the busiest day of the year. Even the sleepy little town of Naver used to muster up all the energy it has been saving for an entire year for one whole night of festivities. You used to hear Christmas carols, laughter, and joy; see people hurrying to buy presents or catch the last train home. But now... there's nothing.

While the number of people infected daily continues to rise, the mayor is forced to take more stringent measures. This pandemic has been going on for over a year and the town has been on lockdown for most of it. 

Even if the mayor didn’t cancel the Christmas festival, I doubt anyone will go. With all the new variants and with most of the nearby hospitals over capacitated, stepping outside your door is a death wish. 

The last time the town of Naver woke up was a year ago, before everything happened. But seeing as how things stand, Naver would continue to sleep until the foreseeable future.

 


 

 

As I arrived near the gate to the Cliff Plaza, I surveyed the grounds for any sign of guards patrolling the area. I looked at my watch and see that it’s 11:15 PM.

Hmmm. No guards, huh. They must have skipped work an hour earlier then...

"Hahaha. Urgh."

I can't help but laugh at my current predicament. 

Seriously. I was hoping to just tell them a girl snuck in but I guess I have to do it on my own.

This night just gets better and better.

"But at least they're happy... I guess?"

Although I may say these things, I do sincerely pray that they enjoy the extra hour with their families.

May they cherish the time they have with each other for it is precious.

May they have the best Christmas Night possible.

A day they can never forget despite the bad circumstance they may be facing. For all the trouble they encounter day to day keeping the peace as well as risking their lives out in the open, having fun today is a small boon.

I didn't notice it happening but a smile was slowly forming on my face.

 

But~~ this and that are different.

“I hope that tonight is worth it since I’m gonna report you guys tomorrow.”

1