Chapter: 3 – A Wolf’s Teachings
85 14 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ulfur watched with shock as the creature crawl from the undergrowth. A tall lanky yet muscular being with glowing green eyes.

The shock was quickly replaced with joy but also worry. He had been searching for nearly a month now. And now when they finally found a new forest to call home, a fae that he presumed to be the owner showed up.

Depending on the fae's temperament this could mean the end or refuge of his pack. So trying to show goodwill he invites the creature to eat with them.

As it walked towards one of the deer they had killed, it stopped and glanced at him as it pointed at the deer with a questioning face. Ulfure gave a nod as if to confirm his invitation.

***

As I sat down and began to feast, the wolf with scare came over dragging one of the deer by its leg, and after settling down in front of me he began to eat. After some time as I was tearing the muscles of a hindleg, the wolf looked up at me, our eyes meeting.

At that moment I felt energy enter my body, energy different from the energy I've felt when eating hearts. It formed a kind of connection to the wolf before me. I felt his presence. It was an interesting feeling.

'I am Ulfur. Ex-servant of Leshy Baklo.' A voice rang through my head. It came from the wolf, it spoke through the mysterious connection that had formed between us.

"Well uh... Hi. I'm...q let's say I don't have a name. Nice to meet you." My answer may be weird but I can't use my human name anymore, I left that behind when I ran away.

I noticed to wolf visibility release a sigh. Let's shift the topic.

"Thanks for the meal. I never thought I'd be sharing one with a wolf."  As I spoke a black figure swooped down and landed on the deer. It was a raven.

The rave began to yank on the corps trying to rip off a piece for itself. I watched, it was amusing to see the little creature struggle. Looking around at the other ravens, it's s smaller than the others. Maybe a runt? Or it's just younger, who knows.

Seeing as everyone enjoyed their meal I continued as well. I ripped the deer's heart from its chest and proceeded to devour it. The next half an hour or so was silent except for the sound of chewing and ripping meat as well as the odd grunt and snarl when a dispute over the food broke out between some wolves. But they were quickly shut up when Ulfur looked or growled at them.

'Apologies for the disturbance but the others have not awakened so they are but normal wolves.' That was what Ulfur told me after one of these disputes. I guess he is what you call an awakened.

"What exactly is an awakened?" This got me curious so I asked and he looked at me with a gaze that screamed "Are you an idiot."

'You don't know something as simple as that? Do you even know about elements?' Ulfur tilted his head as he looked at me.

"No. I'm kinda new to being... Whatever I am now." I answered honestly, he would notice anyways with such a dumb question. And maybe I can learn something about my situation this way.

The next few hours passed rather quickly. While eating I talked to Ulfur. He was mostly explaining things he had learned from the leshy. The first thing he explained to me was the thing about awakened.

They are very talented and intelligent animals that have lived in an environment with high magic concentration, thus gaining wisdom and also extending their lifespan. He also explains how they can turn into shifters, animals that can take a human form after they were blessed by a fae or performed a special ritual.

By the time we had finished our meal and I invited them to my home. The raven that had been eating with me had jumped atop my right shoulder and declared it as its own as we walked.

After arriving at my home started a fire by creating sparks with a rock and my knife. I then grabbed a piece of wood and sat down on my bench. I began to carve away while the wolves got comfortable around the area. Ulfur laid down beside the bench and we resumed our talk.

'So now that we got comfortable let me tell you about magic.' Ulfur spoke stretching his front legs.

'Magic can be put into multiple categories, I'll tell you about the ones that are the easiest to use: [Runes] and [Rituals]. Let's begin with [Runes] shall we.' As he began telling me about the basics I had to lay the piece of wood away in fear of getting distracted and I don't want that. I've always wanted to learn magic, only that I didn't know it existed back then.

'[Runes] can be used to create stationery and/or permanent large-scale spells. But they can also be used to enchant objects with various effects. There exists no real restriction to what [Runes] can be, it depends mostly on the user. Some sorcerers create their own language, others use paintings, the possibilities are endless. The only thing all of them have in common is that the one using them must have a clear intent on what the rune should do while creating it.' Ulfur explained and fell silent. It's kind of funny how much one can talk via telepathy when there is no reason to pause for something like breathing.

While I was trying to wrap my head around what he had just told me, the raven atop my shoulder leaped onto my lap staring straight into my eyes. After a few seconds of staring into each other's eyes, I subconsciously began to pet his head while in thought. I don't know why but he just reminds me of my family's cat. The raven let out a satisfied squawking and settled down in my lap enjoying his clawed head scratches. I could get used to this.

Ulfur looked up from his spot by the fire and the telepathic laugh sounding like that of an old uncle echoed from the connection between us. 'Seems like you two get along.' Ulfur huff between his rough laughter.

'Maybe you could take that little guy as a servent or companion.' Ulfur suggested. And I don't think it would be that bad of an idea. Also having a raven as a pet sounds dope. Although I don't even know how to take servants yet, but a companion would be nice.

"That doesn't sound so bad. But I think we should keep going for now." I'd rather learn than humor this old... Wolf.

'A right. Let's keep going.' Ulfur scratched his ear with a hind leg and then the old wolf continued his lecture.

'Next would be [Rituals]. [Rituals] are a way to cast more powerful magic. They also ignore the caster's affinities because they depend on the ingredients that are used. The caster will also have to use chants or other methods to guide the magic that is being cast.' After this Ulfur began to go into the details of affinities but it all boiled down to... 'Every being has an affinity for one of the uncountable magical elements. What magic affinity a being has becomes clear once they step foot on the path of magic.'

After this, I asked Ulfur a few questions but most of them always got the same answer: 'I can't tell you. You need to explore the path of magic on your own. You will thank me.'

As such, I gave up on asking questions and just began carving to pass my time. And before I knew it the sun was already rising again. Seeing this, the old wolf to my side began standing up and bidding me farewell saying he and his pack would search for a cave to use as their home. As Ulfur left I felt the connection between us cut as the weird energy left my body.

Surprisingly the little raven stayed with me and had not departed with the wolfpack. And thus began my third day in the woods. I already feel more at home than in my old life as a human. Strange but I guess I've been having way more fun than when I was just some student that didn't even know what to do with his life. No girlfriend to speak of, man I'm getting depressed just thinking about it.

Throwing those thoughts into the back of my mind I began a wonderful new day as a heart-eating demon... or whatever I am.

1