Volume 1 Chapter 2
151 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 1 – The Hyena That Dreams of Retirement

Chapter 2

The butcher persistently asked for the secret as well as the information on the liquid, but I kindly rejected him. There are things that one can get and things that one could not. The moment I put on an annoyed expression, the butcher easily gave up.

Honestly, the first liquid that I shot out was a 99% proof Isopropyl Alcohol. The Pangolin’s armor strangely became loose once it was exposed to it. That’s why we doused them with the alcohol first before shooting them down. There are no other Hyena teams that know of this tactic. That’s why they were usually too busy running away, the moment they saw a Pangolin.

“Everyone, let’s move quickly!”

It was a very dangerous job to debone monsters out here in the hunting grounds. It was frequent to see monsters near the vicinity getting pulled in from the smell. There were also many times where we experienced the pain of running away before we were able to get the by-product out.

Because of that, the butcher was very surprised but continued to work diligently. My team for the most part, was also helping out.

WIINNNNNNNGGG!

The chainsaw spun noisily as it cut through the meat and bones. The butcher was said to be famous in Ansan, and sure enough, his skills were excellent. My team has experience with doing this job as well, but it couldn’t compare to the butcher. In a matter of moments, the big elephant like corpse was broken down.

My team that was watching from nearby, showed signs of admiration.

I could do nothing but nod my head in approval.

“It was annoying to hear him whine, but I’m glad I brought him.”

It was fun seeing things get dismantled. An average person would ask what’s so great about watching rotten blood roll off a bone, but from our point of view, it was no different from killing.

Cheerful voices could be heard everywhere.

“We’ll be able to make a lot of money once we go back!”

“How much is all this! If it’s this much, my woman would be so surprised, her mouth would drop open.”

“Would her mouth be the only thing that opens?”

“This guy! Hahahahah!”

I smiled at the sight of my happy team. We were going to make quite a bit of money from this. At first, I was a little hesitant because of the high price we had to pay for the information, but it seems to have been a great investment.

As always, the thought of your pockets getting heavy was something to be happy about. The only disappointing thing is that, the Pangolins we were currently butchering, didn’t have the monster core. A monster without a shield sadly didn’t have enough magic to be able to form a core.

“Be wary of your surroundings.”

The team that didn’t participate in the dismantling acted as security, and wore the feces of a strong monster. There shouldn’t be any monsters around here but we were always cautious.

“I’m sorry. This is the first time I’m seeing people like you and your team. It’s hard to believe that you guys are Hyena’s.”

 

Once the job was done, the Butcher first came to apologize.

“What, you did a great job.”

The butcher was covered in sweat and looked a little funny to me.

We were able to pack up all the important parts of the Pangolin as well as the corpse we came to find. The work took 4 hours to complete, but it was all worth it. Now we just needed to return and everyone will be happy. I plan on retiring after this expedition is complete.

I wonder how many people there are that can be a Hyena for 10 years, and still be safe.

0.1%?

0.01%?

I’m sure not even 1 out of 10,000, but I did it.

With a content heart, I continued to watch over my team. Surprised, I yelled at the youngest in our team.

“Hey! Hey! Don’t cut the stomach!”

The young idiot was trying to cut the stomach open from the big corpse. There seems to be something in there, but that’s not a wise thing to do. A strong smell wafted out with a great amount of filth.

Of course, if you’re lucky, you could find a rare item. But with my 10 years of experience, it’s 100x better to not touch that area.

“Hey! Hey hey!”

I yelled as hard as I could but it was useless. Jwaaaakkkk! The stomach was cut open and the insides were disgustingly spilling out.

“Ha……Fuck.”

My face automatically crumples.

Honestly, if things ended there it would’ve been much better, but who would’ve know that because of that incident, I wouldn’t be able to retire.

*     *     *     *

Driipppppp.

The air was filled with a nasty smell as the stinky filth poured out. It was similar to seeing a dumpster filled with rotting food pouring out all over the ground.

“Hey! You fucking idiot!”

I started cussing. Even so, I didn’t need to step in from here. A veteran standing next to the youngster hit him for me.

“You psychotic idiot! Why are you doing things without even asking!”

The smell was seriously disgusting. Everyone was busy covering their mouth and nose.

“Let’s hurry and retreat.”

With a wave of my hand, everyone backed down.

This wasn’t as simple as having to deal with the putrid smell. There were many other risks that come with cutting open a monster’s stomach.

To start off, just with the smell of the filth coming out from the stomach, every monster within several kilometers will react to it. Large monsters will occasionally throw up food that it ate, which in turn the smaller monsters will eat. Therefore, these other monsters were very sensitive to the smell of a monster’s gastric juice.

The fortunate thing is that, we were able to confirm that there weren’t any other monsters around us when we shot off our guns. Nothing will surprise us anytime soon, but this wasn’t a good situation for us.

With eyes filled with greed, I started searching through the filth that came out from the stomach and noticed some familiar faces. It was very bizarre. It’s disturbing to see a familiar Hyena inside of a monster’s feces.

Of course, the skin and meat had already been digested but just by seeing the gear around the bones………. In situations like these, I’m at a loss for words.

“Retreat! Retreat!”

The Vice Team Leader yelled out as we resolutely packed our belongings.

The equipment we used to dismantle the big monster, was put away inside a special pocket. It was those items that were filled with unlimited space, like the ones that came out from fantasy novels. After the emergence of magic that could fight against monsters, strange equipment like the pocket were also made.

Thanks to the item, we were able to move things back and forth without a truck. If not, we wouldn’t have even dreamed of being able to come out this far. Our occupation as Hyena’s would end within a certain kilometer’s of the city, fighting “dangerous” monsters.

“Are you ready? Huh? What’s this?”

While prodding the team, I frowned. Inside the disgusting stomach and juice, there was an arm sticking out.

Ha……Fuck, things are really messed up.

I want to just leave now, but it’d be awkward to just leave things like this. Instinctively, my mind was giving me the signal to just ignore it and leave, but I couldn’t subdue my curiosity.

“Vice Team Leader, one moment. Have the guys ready up to leave and wait for my orders.”

There isn’t a law that states that you need to bury the dead, whether it’s Hyenas or Hunters.

When you come to the Hunting Grounds, you either decompose as a piece of meat or land yourself inside a monster’s belly. Who has the time to bury them? Bringing home a finger of someone who died is even praiseworthy of having manners.

The reason I’m interested in this corpse was for information. Not only that, but this guy who died wasn’t a Hyena but a Hunter. You can tell by their chewed up equipment. Hunter’s normally held high class information compared to Hyena’s. If I search through the body, I may be able to find something.

I pulled at the arm sticking out with all my strength. The corpse slide right out with it. It was horrible to see the gastric juices covering the body. As usual, our job is so shitty.

After looking around, I was able to find a special pocket and quickly put it away. Thankfully, no one saw it. As I continued to look around, the Vice Team Leader suddenly walked towards me.

“What’s the problem?”

He seemed to not be able to hide his curiosity. I was a bit surprised since I hid away the special pocket, but I continued to act calmly. I’ve been at this for 10 years, so there’s no way I’d be easy to read. Shouldn’t a Team Leader be able to take things here and there for the amount of hard work he puts in?

The other members seemed to all be waiting but because they were curious, you could see them taking glances at our direction. I yelled out of annoyance.

“Stop looking and secure the surrounding!”

Chapter 2 – End.

0