01. In the beginning
812 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the beginning 


 

Magic was an interesting thing. This concept has captured the imagination of people of all ages and cultures. Contrary to the common belief that magic is just some fantasy power, magic does exist. Since the dawn of humanity, magic has been studied just like any other branch of knowledge commonly known to the general public today. After all, magic is one of the many ways humans understand the universe. It can also be used to explain my current situation. 

And what situation you ask? Well, right now my current situation is  I’m walking through cold snow in the middle of unknown pines forests. 

“You okay?”

The old man turns around and looks at me with one of his eyes, as the other is covered by his black eye patch. I stopped at his voice and looked at my new... friend. Two crows flew over, one landed on the branch near the old man while the other landed on my left shoulder. These actions took me by surprise, as I paused for a moment and just stared at the crow on my shoulder then back to the old man.

"...Yeah" I finally said, "... Just… Still trying to accept what just happened."

The old man gave a small nod of understanding.

“Yes, I can see that you are still confused and have a lot of questions and I maybe can help answer that question. But first, let us go to my cabin as this place is not ideal for this kinda conversation.” 

He said as he turned around and started walking away. The crows nearby started to fly while the ones on my shoulders remained silent.

I sat there for a moment trying to calm myself down. The crow on my shoulder made a small caw sound and I turned my head to the side to see his face. A sigh and a small smile formed on my face.

“Yeah, you’re right.”

I said with determination. The crow on my shoulder flew to join his companion in the sky and I started to follow the old man. After a few minutes of walking, we finally arrived. It was a small cabin made of wood but has a modern style, which is surprising because it looks like the kind of stuff you find and rent in modern Europe. This is surprising because I envisioned something more Viking-style, because of who he is if what he claims is true which at this point I am almost certainly sure it’s true.

The old man took out a key and open the door.

“Come in,” He says “Make yourself comfortable.” As he entered the two crows quickly followed as they flew through the door and went inside.

“Thank you,” I said with a small nod.

As I entered the cabin, I noticed everything inside. The interior looks nice, comfortable, and clean nothing looks out of the ordinary apart from a few lights that seem to have a magical charm as their power source. 'interesting' I thought. The two crows were perched in the cage hanging in the corner of the room

“Do you need help?” I ask as I close the door.

I took off my coat and then hung it on the hanger next to the door, the same place where the old man hung his cloak, while I see him walk to what I presume was the kitchen.

“... Well, if it doesn't bother you, you can turn on the fireplace.” He said as he pointed at it. 

“Sure, that will be easy.”

I walk to the fireplace and crouch down. Take a few pieces of wood and stack them in it. I stretched out my right hand and with a snap of my fingers, the wood started to burn.

“That’s was an interesting way to use magic. You are, a Mage.” said the old man as he walked over to me carrying a tray of two glasses of hot tea and a teapot.

He put the tray on the table. I walked to the nearest chair and take a seat. I take the glass graciously as he offered one for me.

“Thank you. But I prefer the term Magician, as that is how we identify ourselves.”

I absentmindedly checked my drink for any foreign substances out of habit but considering what he did a few minutes ago… Eh, better be safe and sorry. After making sure there is nothing in it I bring it up to my lips and take a sip. It smells and tastes good, there is also a hint of honey in it.

“So,” the old man said as he positioned himself to sit on the chair in front of me. The old man makes himself comfortable before continuing to speak.

“How about you start telling your story. O, young Magician." His face was grinning, like a child in a candy store wanting to take it all.

I sigh and put down my glass.

“Right, this is going take time.” I take a breath to calm myself.

“It all starts a few weeks ago, when …”

It was in the middle of summer so the air was quite hot. In the sea of people inside Haneda Airport, two-man can be seen. At a glance, there is nothing special about them. Both look like just other foreign tourist who came to Japan just to have fun. One looks like he's in his mid-forties and the other looks like he's nineteen, both look like a father and son walking side by side dragging their suitcase.

The older one sighs, again.

“Huh, why do they always do this to me?” the older man complains.

“Well, maybe if you take the jobs seriously they will not so harsh on you.” there is a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

“Easy to you to say,” he replied.

“Well, that's because it’s easy.” 

The older man just sighs again.

“Pfft, getting old, old man.”

“Oh, shut up. I’m still tired after a 12-hour flight.”

“Yeah-yeah whatever you say, old man.”

The older man just grumble something about kids this day.

“Say, Sam,” the younger one begins while looking around for their guide that is supposed to be there.

“Hm?”

“Have you come to this country?”

“... Yes, a few times.”

“What do you do?”

“Oh, you know business stuff. Hunting, Cleaning, being a negotiator between the Church and the Mystics, that sort of thing.” 

“So you have a connection with the Imperial Onmyōji?”

“No, not really. I met them a few years ago, ways back then. I don’t know if they still hold their position.”

“Hmm …”

“How about you?”

“Same as you I guess, business stuff.” Not wanting to more elaborate.

The two of them were silently waiting until a woman who looked to be in her twenties wearing formal business attire came up to them.

“Hello, am I assume that both are you are Mr. Samuel Walters and Mr. Nox Black.” She said.

The older man's demeanor suddenly changed 180 degrees, giving the young woman a charming smile. While the younger man just stared at him, unable to believe his colleague's behavior.

“Yes, we are.” said the older man.

 

“Good, my name is Maya Hart. Representative of the Imperial Onmyōji. I will be your assistant while the two of you are here,” she said as she extended her hand.

The older man does the same and grabs her hand.

“Likewise, I’m Samuel Walters representative of the Vatican City.”

She then does the same to the younger man.

“And I’m Nox Black representative of the Clock Tower. I will be the third party serving as an assistant and observer in this operation.”

Hart shakes his hand and gives a nod.

“Please, follow me.” She turns around and starts to walk.

The two men followed behind her. They walked towards the black sedan that was waiting for them. There the driver was waiting for them, they got in with Hart in the front seat beside the driver and Walter and Black in the back. The engine start and they start moving away. 

“Say, Ms. Hart, anything new from our target?” Walters asked with a sweet tone.

Black sighs, knowing what his partner try to do. 

“Would you stop that?” 

“Stop what?” he replied with a cheeky smile.

“I still can’t believe you are a priest.”

But Ms. Hart seemed unfazed by his behavior, for all she did was take an envelope from the dashboard and hand it over to Walters. Walters, make some sad face with no effect on Ms. Hart.

“Please look at the files inside,” she said politely.

Walters, open the envelope and start to read the file. The file contains all the data of the target from the individual data to all the evidence that has been collected, there is also some additional verified evidence. 

He whistles, “You are a bad guy Mr. Gawen Hawkins, and a very bad one too.”

He gives it to Black and he starts to read the file. 

“So what’s the plan?” Walters asks.

“We have confirmed Mr. Hawkins' hideout. The operation will start at 1800 local time. This operation will consist of 4 groups. Our group will be the main group in this plan, this group will consist of three of us plus two Onmyōji. The other group will be tasked with creating barriers to ensure this operation is running as well as a backup in case something happens.” she said with a flat intonation like a machine.

“Oh wow, what a simple plan. You guys totally can handle this.”

“Is that sarcasm Mr. Walters?”

“Oh no, not at all. It just I have some question you see.”

“Which is?”

“Do you want to go somewhere romantic after this mission?” He said while showing off his most dazzling smile. 

*Smack

Only to get a smack from his partner.

“Aw,” Walters said as he rubs his head. 

“What was that for.”

Black sighs, “I still can’t believe you’re a priest.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“That’s for acting unprofessional.”

“Oh, come on. Don't be so uptight, I’m just having some fun.”

Ignoring the man-child Black turned to Hart.

“Please forgive my colleague’s behavior, Ms. Hart, he may look like this …”

“Hey, I’m right here!”

“... but I  assure you he is a good one.”

Hart smiled, “Don't worry Mr. Black I'm used to this kind of treatment. Besides I have been informed of Mr. Walters' idiosyncrasies so I understand that he doesn't mean anything bad.”

“Again, I’m still here guys!”

“Still I must apologize, Ms. Hart, for the behavior of my colleague and I hope this will not affect the relationship between the institutions we represent and the course of this mission.”

“Okay, you guys just totally ignoring me.”

Hart’s smile becomes more natural, “Oh don't worry Mr. black it will not happen. Besides, I've also heard about you as well.”

Black eyes widen slightly, “About me?”

Hart chuckled, “Don’t worry Mr. Black, I assure you it’s a good one.”

“I see, that good. Also, please just call me Nox, I’m not that old to be called Mr.” giving a rather charming smile.

“I understand, then please just call me Maya. After all, Ms. Hart is my mother”

Both smiling.

“And now you guys just flirting! Great. This is unfair I tell you, unfair! If I do it everyone suddenly has a problem with it, but if you do it it’s okay? That’s it I’m done with it, justice shall prevail. And I’m going to tell you what’s going to happen, I going to ... ”

“Mr. Walters.” / “Sam.”

The two of them stared coldly at him.

“Be quiet.” 

Walters opens his mouth and closes it again. Grumbling, sulking like a little child.

“Kids these days,” he said.

“So, Maya, where are we going?”

“We going to the headquarters of Imperial Onmyōji first, then we going to your accommodation.”

“Right.”

Somewhere in Tokyo

1755 local time, 

T-5 before the operation begins.

“I can’t believe that man is still alive,” Walters grumbled.

“I can’t believe you know the current Head of Onmyō,” Black said.

“Hah, I remember when he was still a brat.”

“... You know … Some time I forget that you are, an Oldmen.”

“Shut up.”

Black, Walters, Hart, and the two Onmyōji are now standing in front of the abandoned warehouse. Black now wears a suit with a black trench coat, equally black gloves, and a leather bag sling over his shoulders. Walters is now dressed as an actual priest. Wears a robe with a cross hanging around his neck and a leather book hanging from his hips.

“Maya, what’s the situation?” Black asked.

Hart still wearing her business suit with additional holsters for holding some of her talismans. The other Onmyōji wearing their traditional clothes.

“Everything is still according to plan, all agents are in position. No sign of movement from the target.”

“Good.”

Black checked his watch.

“It’s time.”

And with that, the operation begins. The other agents start to erect a new barrier to make sure everything is safe and secret and destroy the previous barrier that enveloped the warehouse.

The five of them enter the warehouse and what they saw was shocking. The entire wall fills with runes and blood, bodies lying everywhere and in the middle of the room was a man with a staff in his hand kneeling in the canter of a magic circle. It was a sickening sight. Hart and the two Onmyōji looked sick, while Black and Walters wore neutral faces.

“Sir Gawen Hawkins,” Walters began.

“You are under arrest on charges of Violation of confidentiality status, Data forgery, Theft, Kidnapping, Murder, and Endangering the safety of the Real and the Shadow World. Please, stop your ritual.” 

“With the degree upon me by the Holy Church and the Imperial Onmyōji, we have been given the task of bringing you to justice. Surrender now and then there is a chance you will be given leniency or resist and you may taste my sword.”

For a moment the man just stays silent and keeps chanting like we don't exist. Then he taps his staff on the ground and the magic circle starts to glow.

Walters sighed, “Why do they never surrender.”

“Yeah, the world will become much nicer.” Black agrees.

The bodies that scattered in the room began to merge to form some sort of monstrosity.

“Flesh golems!” Black said.

“It's just getting more and more interesting.”

Walters takes the cross from his neck and starts chanting.

[O spiritus Sanctus]

(Oh, holy spirit.)

[Da mihi virtutem]

(Grant me strength.)

[Ut per mala]

(To cut through evil.)

 His cross shone brightly, then it morphs to become a long sword.

“Black, stop that madman. We will handle this.”

“Roger.”

He then starts chanting.

[Gravitas residito, massa reductio]

(Abate gravity, reduce mass)

Black launches forward faster without gravity, trying to cross the distance as fast as he can.

Another monster came in, trying to stop him. Black was about to chant another spell when he heard something from behind.

[Kite! Hi no omamori!]

(Come! Talisman of fire!)

[Honō no ya!]

(Flame Arrow!)

A few fire shape arrows flew and stuck at the monster’s body. The fire spread and burnt it to the ash. 

Black turn around and see it was Hart's spell. 

“Thanks, Maya.”

“You're welcome,” she said with a smile on her face.

Black move closer. A meter before he enters the magic circle, another magic circle flashes on the floor below him.

“What!”

A black liquid came out of the magic circle, trying to trap him.

Black looked at the man and saw that he was still focused on whatever he was doing right now. I see, so it's an automatic magic trap and also its curse one. He thought.

Seeing himself caught in a magic trap, Black starts to cast a spell.

[Resonato!] 

(Resonate!)

[Repercussum qui flagitat discordia,] 

(Take the echo which calls forth discord and disturbs the peace,)

[convertit in fluctuationem et in ventum dispareto!]

(convert it to instability and vanish in the rumbling wind!)

[Harmonies Aeolia!]

(Tuning wind!)

The spell creates a small tornado with the caster as its center, disturbing and destroying the spell around it. Destroying the magic trap.

Unfortunately, it also affects the ritual that is being performed by Hawkins  As the spell collapse and creates a new form. 

“You!” He snarls.

“Sir Gawen Hawkins, stop this madness.”

Untold mana bursts from the magic circle as it grows brighter. The excessive mana makes all of them can't move. The flesh golem burst as they are not designed to take this much mana. The Onmyōji, the one in charge of making the barrier had to work even harder due to the sudden increase in mana.

“What is this?” Black wondered aloud.

“Nox!” / “Black!”

It was the last thing Black heard before his world become white and silent.

14