05. The Allfather (04)
320 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Allfather (04)


Odin climb the stairs, the atmosphere of the bustling tavern and the warm air was a welcoming change compared to what he was used to. Every step is accompanied by the squeaking sound of the stairs and the laughter of patrons here and there. 

Genkai was an interesting place compared to Tenkai. After all, compare to Tenkai where everything stays the same, unchanging, everlasting world. Genkai on the other hand always moving, changed, unpredictable. 

He always loves to see, to experience a new thing. Back when gods still living in their domain. He was one of the first to cross, leaving his realm for another god's domain. Meting other gods talking with other kings was an interesting experience. But it was the life of mortal that always intrigued him, and in their flaws and imperfections come to a beauty that doesn't even exist in Tenkai. 

When he got to the top he glanced down. The condition of the tavern can be seen from the top floor. The bustle of patrons and waiters, ordering and bringing foods, the laughter of some patrons as they tell stories to each other. But his grey eye was focused on one direction, his new Child, Nox Black.

Ah…. I should tell him to hide his level…. Eh, I’m sure it's fine. After all, it would be more interesting to see.’ he thought as he chuckle inwardly.

Odin started walking down the hall. 

There was a time when he was still in Tenkai watching from above how mortals live, how they survive, how they rise when everything seems bleak when there is seem no hope. He will cheer when they succeed and offer a place in his hall if they fail and end up in his place. Sometimes they agree sometimes they don't, but it's their choice.

Hmm, how long has it been since I opened the gate?’ he thought idly. 

His mind is back when he first saw his new child. Nox Black was an interesting human. When he first saw him, he knew he was not a normal child. A man, maybe around 17 or 18 years old, with short raven-haired, and fair skin wearing a black coat with a suit that is akin to the one that wears by the guild. With only a bag, without armor or weapons. He looks so out of place.

did he get lost?’ was Odin’s first thought. But that doesn’t make any sense. They are deep in the Dragon Valley, you don’t just get lost in this place. This place is as dangerous as the Dungeon. 

His train of thought came to a halt when he heard a roar from the sky. He looks up and sees a dragon. Its blackish silver scales gleam beneath the sun. It roars, as to announce himself as a sole rule in this sky. It was the same dragon that suddenly appeared several months ago and terrorized the surrounding area.

“This is bad,” Odin murmur. 

He looks back at the young man, trying to warn him. But the look of the young man stops him. Instead of fear or dread, it was the look of awe and wonder almost childish.

The dragon roared again when it noticed the youth's presence. What happens next is something that Odin will never forget. The dragon swooped down then spit fire from its mouth. 

Odin couldn't see clearly but he knew the young boy had just used some kind of magic on himself.

He’s a mage?!’ he was surprised because he didn't look like a normal mage and because he looked so young. 

The fire spread and burned the trees around them. But the young man easily dodged it without getting hurt. The dragon who saw his attack failed to hit its target, roared in anger and the dragon then tried to do it again. What he did next took Odin by surprise. With a flick of his finger, the dragon was engulfed in an explosion. 

No casting?!’ Odin was surprised. All magic needs some form of verbal invocation to be activated. What the young man does just does not make sense.

The dragon emerged from the smoke unharmed and furious, he roared at his assailant. The dragon roared and immediately swooped down. The young man cast another spell and the dragon fall from the sky. The dragon, who had now fallen to the ground, did not want to lose without fighting so he tried to burn him with his fire. The youth cast another spell that created a layer of shield, protecting him from the dragon flames. With another spell, the dragon finally pins down. He paused for a moment, looking deep in thought. He then looked at the dragon and spoke to it. They seemed to have found an agreement as the young man nodded. With the next spell, the dragon's body was dismembered.

Odin can only stare, ‘How much spell does he have? Does he have the same abilities as Loki's child, the elven princess?’ It was the only conclusion he could think of.

Curiosity took over him, there were many things he wanted to ask. So he walked over to him. He watched as the young man walked over to the dragon carcass. It was a little funny to see him become panic when he sees the dragon collapse and become dust. 

Finally, he was close enough to hear her speak. 

“... Magic Crystal. I’m holding A Dragon Magic Crystal!!” he said excitedly then started laughing cheerfully. His behavior is not what Odin would have imagined from someone who easily slays a dragon.

Odin was surprised when he heard him speak in a language he didn't know. He still understood what he was saying, the perk of being god, but it was still surprising especially from him having traveled the world. He knew that in some places many still spoke their native languages, such as the Elves or the Amazoness, but it was usually their second language and was used only to maintain tradition. Of course, there is the Far East region, most of them still use their native language due to their relatively isolated geographical position, but that's about it. 

“Haha, I never thought, how could this usual job turn into a mountain of gold!” he continued.  “Oh, I have to thank you, Sir. Hawkins, for doing it and to you old men for giving me this job.”

Work? what is he talking about? is he doing some Quest?” Odin thought.

“Oh, gods know how much I wanted to see real dragons in person ever since I found out that dragons exist. Only to be disappointed after learning that the last dragon died five hundred years ago because of your greed.” The young man said.

Dragons extinct?!

“I thank any god or gods or divine beings out there for answering my prayers. I promise to fulfill any of your requests as long as they do not conflict with the oath I have taken, not to harm mankind.”

Is he … a believer?” Odin thought.

Ever since the gods descended from Tenkai, many things were lost from this world. One of them is religion. This is so destructive that some cultures collapse after discovering the god they worship never existed.

But one thing is for sure. For the first time. Odin wants to form his own Familia. And it seemed he had already decided who his first member would be.

His thoughts returned to the present when he reached the door, the last door at the end of the hall, and knocked three times. He waited until,

“Come in,” a voice answered from behind the door.

Odin twisted the knob and the door open with a creaking sound. 

It was a fairly large room, a parlor, with a long brown table made of wood and a green sofa on either side. Several glasses and many bottles of beer and wine were piled on the table. Few wooden cabinets containing bottles of wine and beer. The walls are whitewashed with several paintings depicting landscapes, mostly mountains but some depicting the sea or the beach, decorating the room. 

Two gods were waiting for him. The first one sat on the sofa, drinking beer from his wooden mug. He was a man with fair skin, short golden hair, and eyes as blue as the clear sky. Even with the grey cloak that hide his body the man was undeniably muscular. The other one who was leaning against the window was a beautiful woman with fair skin, long bluish-white hair, and green eyes. She is wearing a short-sleeve white jacket made of fur, long grey pants, and brown boots. She may be not a goddess of beauty but she may as well deserve to have those titles. 

“Odin!” The man greets him with a smile, showing his perfect row of teeth. “Come, sit, have a drink,” he said as he took the bottle of wine in front of him and poured its contents into the mug.

“Thor … we are not here to drink” The goddess remind him

Thor looks at her.

“I know that.”

“Are you sure?” She raised her eyebrow.

“Yes, and you should be a good host and bring back any drinks you have.”

“Ah, so you plan to empty my cellar.” her tone annoyed with the behavior of her guest.

“Oh come on. I'll just drink a little.” He pleaded.

“We have a very different definition of ‘a little’,” she said, pointing to the pile of empty beer and wine bottles on the table.

“Hahaha, looks like you guys are fine. Thor, Skadi.” Odin stated as he sat on the sofa opposite Thor.

Thor offered a drink to him but Odin just shook his head and raised his hand to refuse.

“But I'm surprised you're here, Thor. I thought you would be somewhere else, traveling around the world.”

“I’m, but I heard this place has some dragon problem. So here I’m,” he said cheerfully.

“That what he said. But he just keeps drinking my stash.” Skadi grumbled.

“Come on, give me some slack, I’m tired. Besides my Familia will help you with this problem of yours.” He said as he open another bottle.

“Thor,” She begins, her voice cold, and just like her voice, the temperature in the room becomes a little colder. 

Thor cranks his head slowly till he meets her cold green eyes.

“Stop.” One word. That just what she needs.

Thor, slowly, put his mug. “Okay okay,” he said.

“Damn ol-.” he said under his breath.

“What did you just say?” only to be cut off by Skadi's cold voice that promising suffering.

“Nothing,” Thor answered quickly. His body tensed and he sat up straight.

Seeing the behavior of the two, Odin couldn't help but laugh.

“Don’t worry Skadi, I’m sure my child can replace it and even more,” Odin said as he try to control his laugh.

His words caught Thor and Skadi's attention for different reasons. 

“Realy!” He said with a star in his eyes.

“Child?” She said with a surprised face

Thor because of the possibility for more drinks and Skadi because of his statement.

“Good for you old man!” Thor said, “It looks like you finally join the game. This call for a celebration!” He said as he starts to open a bottle.

Seeing this Skadi just sighs, Thor had forgotten her warning. So she turns to Odin and asks,

“So, why do you take him? I remember you said that you don’t plan to take any child? What change?”

Odin smiled, the kind of smiled that look like a child who just got his favorite toy.

“He just so interesting.”

“Interesting?” She asked.

“Yup, the moment I see him. That same moment, I want him.”

Seeing his smile, Thor just nods in agreement.

“Yes, I know that feeling.” He said as he chug another bottle down to his throat.

While traveling the world sometimes Thor feels the same feeling. Unlike some other gods who could see souls with their eyes, Thor could sense if a person has a warrior soul due to the aspect he governed. And if he felt it he would offer them to join his Familia.

“I'm assuming it's the same young man that walking with you?” Skadi ask because she saw him from the window.

“Yes.”

“... I see,” Skadi said. “So where do you find him?”

“Up there, in the valley.”

Skadi blink once then twice, “... What?”

“Yup, I found him after he killed a dragon.”

“... ah so the problem is over. ” Skadi said in relief.

“He kills it alone! Wow, now I want to meet him.” Thor said.

“Which Familia was he from before?” Skadi asked. 

“No one,” Odin said as a matter of fact.

There was a silence as both gods try to take this new information.

“Hahaha, Oh Odin I didn't think you would be joking.” She said.

There's a knock on the door.

“Excuse me, Skadi-Sama, there is something that I want to talk about.” Said the man behind the door.

“Is that you Alfred? Come in!”

The door opened and revealed an old man wearing a suit.

He bows, “My lady, my lords. I’m sorry to interrupt your time but there is something I want to show you.” 

Alfred then shows them dragon scales with clean-cut marks.

Skadi moves from her place and starts walking toward him. She takes the scale and starts to inspect it. Her fingers moved across the scars on the scales.

“Is it …”

“Yes, Alfred. It’s real and the same dragon that we meet a few weeks ago.” Skadi sigh, “Did he still here?”

“Yes, right now he was drinking together with Veleda-san.”

she nods, “Thank you if that’s all you can leave.”

“Thank you for your time Skadi-Sama. Please excuse me.” He said with a bow. He then walked out and closed the door. 

As the door closes with a click sound, the room becomes silent.

Skadi turns to Odin and leaning to the door.

Odin just smiles.

“... You're not joking, are you?”

“Pfft, Hahaha…. now I Really want to meet him!” Thor said. 

“How?” She asked. “That scales were cut clean.”

“My kid is just awesome,” he said proudly.

“Odin,” she said irritated.

Odin chuckled, “Sorry, it just, now I know why they like to brag about their children.”

She sighs and shakes her head “Huuh, you….”

“Hey Odin, what are you planing?” Thor asks him. His jovial mood is replaced with a more serious one.

Picking his change of mood, Odin and Skadi become more serious as well.

“... I see something,” his fingers touch his eyepatch.

The other two gods become still. Here in Genkai, gods cant use their power. But even when their power seal, some of the powerful ones can still use their power. Odin as the King of the Æsir can still use its power even though it is limited.

“So you take him because you have some vision,” Thor stated.

“Yes. I need someone to become my agent in Orario, and he is perfect for this duty.”

“... Why him?” Thor asked, “If you want it, I can go. Besides my children will understand.”

“No, I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Odin stated while shaking his head.

“Why?”

“Because there was a chance it will only make worse,” Skadi supplied.

Thor turned his head to Skadi. “What do you mean?”

Skadi sigh, “While you may be not like Astrea or Tyr or Maat or Marduk or any god/goddess of justice you still know as protector. And if you, a god, who knows as someone who always wandering around the world suddenly chose to stay that will raise some suspicion. They would just go underground, hiding even further.” she explained.

“I see,” Thor said as he absorbs her word. “Wait, then, can’t you just go? no one will bat an eye if you go there,” he said while pointing his finger at Skadi.

She shakes her head, “No I can’t go.”

“Why?”

Skadi fell silent and averted her eyes, she refused to look at Thor. His sharp gaze made her uncomfortable.

Thor narrows his eyes and he speaks, his tone harsh.

“Skadi, wh-”

“Because she can’t go,” Odin stated.

Thor turns back to Odin.

“Thor you should know that her Familia is needed here. They are the protectors of this city.”

“You know my Familia can help. While they go I can fill in and replace them.”

Odin shook his head, “No, most of her children join her because they want to protect their home, this city. She can’t just send them to a faraway place, this is their home. They trust her. Besides unlike yours, most of them are just level 1 and they are Hunters, not an Adventure.”

They both stared into each other's eyes, silent as they stared at each other. Then, 

“You are right,” Thor sighed tiredly, he look at Skadi and said. “Sorry, I become too emotional.”

Skadi shakes his head, “No, it’s okay. To be honest, I want to help, but I love my children and the people in this city. If I go, I feel like I have forsaken this city.”

Thor just nod, “But Odin, can you trust your new child?”

“Yea, considering that city’s most powerful Familia is controlled by those two women.” She practically said the last word spitefully.  

Thor chuckled, “you still have a grudge against them huh.”

“You have no idea how many times I want to throw them to Niflheim and besides, you are the only one who thing Loki pranks as funny,” she said while massaging her forehead.

“Hahaha, you should see her face when her little prank gets backfires.” He laughs as he remembers the events of the past.

“But back to the topic. Why him?” Thor asked.

Odin becomes silent, he closes his eye seemingly in deep thought. He nodded after agreeing to his thoughts.

“Can both of you keep a secret?” there is a certain weight when Odin said it. He doesn't just question them, he uses his status as King to demand that they keep a secret.

Both Thor and Skadi look at each other for a moment then nodded.

“ “ Yes,” ” they answered with conviction and firmness at the same time.

Odin took a piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to Thor. 

Thor opened the piece of paper in his hand. “A Status Sheet huh,” he said. Skadi sat beside him so he could read it along.

“Let see. His name is Nox Black, age 17, a Human….” Thor said.

Seeing all his stat is still zero mean that this comes when Falna first form. Everything seemed normal until he got to the magic part. 

Thor stops. He blinks once, twice, thrice but it is all still the same. He rubs his eyes thinking that he is drunk, but nope it is still there.

“... I … what? … how?” Thor was so surprised, his mouth is having difficulty making a clear sentence.

“... this is impossible,” Skadi said quietly. “I can't even read some of this spell.” Her eye was so wide that it looks like his eyes are going to pop out of their socket.

“Keep reading,” Odin said. A smile graced his face.

“A skill!” Thor said surprised. “and not just One but Three!”

“... Where do you even find this kid?!” Skadi said, still can’t believe what he read.

“I told you before, I found him deep in the valley after he kill a dragon.”

There was a pause as both gods try to make sense of what they just read.

“Did you do-”

“No,” Odin said rather sternly. “it's all the result of his hard work.”

While Thor still trying to read the paper Skadi turns to Odin. 

“What kind of life is He living through?” She asks.

“... I can’t tell his story, but I will say that he has his own share.”

Skadi just nod. Her knowledge about magic is limited but she knows those kinda things need time, talent, and a lot of sacrifices to get to that kind of level. 

“ … still, can we trust him?” Thor’s eyes narrow as he moves from the paper to Odin’s eye. “Throughout my journey, I have met many people like him. Those who have reached this level have only one thing in common.” He pauses for a second, “they only care about themselves …” something that Thor himself has experienced based on his tone.

Skadi looked at Thor, as she felt the weight in his words. Sometimes she forgets, behind his always cheerful and carefree nature he is still a champion of Asgard.

"I have no doubts about his abilities," he said, waving the paper in his hand. "What I doubt is the character, can we trust him?"

Odin looks at Thor and smiles, “Yes, I trust him.”

Thor was silent for a moment. His body started shaking, then he exploded. 

“Pffttt, Hahahahah …. oh, wow, when was the last time you make that kind of face?” 

Beside him Skadi chukle as well.

“What face?” Odin made a confused face.

“Oh you know, the kind and fatherly face. When was the last time you do that? Hmmm…. “

“ … did I make that kinda face?” Odin said slowly.

Skadi just chuckle more, “Yeah you always make that kinda face, Old man.”

“Was it when you meet Sigurd? …. yeah, definitely him,” Thor said with a nod.

“Alright, the serious talk is over,” Skadi said standing up.

“Hey, where are you going?” Asked Thor.

She moves to the nearest cabinets, “I think you’re right Thor.” she said as she open it.

“Am I?” He said tilting his head. Because he didn't follow what she meant.

“Yup, I think this is a call for a little celebration.” She begins, “Besides I think Odin can tell some of his stories.” she took few bottles.

Skadi opened the bottle then poured the wine into the glass, then gave it to Odin. 

“Stories? sure, I have plenty of it. Which one do you want to hear?” he said as he sips his drink.

“Well, how about,” Skaldi begins. “how far have your progress with Frigg?” She said while showing a mischievous smile.

Odin could only choke when he asked. While Thor just burst out laughing

“Where did that came from?”

Skadi groan, “Oh come on, with how dandere she is you should be the one who takes the lead!” 

He averts his eye, his ears become slightly red. “I-It's not that easy okay. Besides, how about you and Njord.”

There was a small thin red on her face, but as fast it came it was already gone. 

“Don't try to change the topic, this isn't about me it's about you two.”

“Maybe …. she needs to learn to become a little more assertive …. like Hera.” Thor comment.

“NO! I don’t want her to become yandere like her!” There was horror on Skadi’s face. 

There was silence for a moment, then the three gods start laughing.

Outside, a raven perched on one of the tree branches. Her gaze went to the window on the second floor, silently watching the three gods talking to one another. At first glance, she looks like an ordinary crow, but on closer inspection one of her eyes is not a bird's eye but a human eye. She blinked a few times until her eyes returned to normal.

 

10