13. Orario (2)
386 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Orario (2)


“The hell are you talking about!?” Shout one of the patrons of the bar, it was loud enough to make a few people sitting close to him turn their heads, though they quickly turn their heads back to their own business after seeing who’s talking, some even chose to switch places, not wanting to get entangled to whatever it is.

The man, with a well-built, which make him muscular, with black hair and teal eyes, with an eyepatch covering his left eye. He wears a sleeveless open jacket that shows his muscular body, arm covers and gloves, blue pants, boots, and a belt with a red monster face carving and fur. With that kind of appearance, it can easily check every checklist description for what a thug is supposed to look like. “Are you drunk!” The man finishes his word as he slams his mug into the table.

“I ain’t drunk, Bors!” His friend quickly denied it with a snarl. Though with his face start to become red and how he started to look tipsy, suffice to say it was not very convincing. “I tellin’ the truth,” he said before greedily chugging the beer in his hand.

Bors Elder is a man known for many things, mostly bad. A thug is one of them, something that he will not deny. But he is also a de facto ruler of this place, Rivira. It was a city, located deep on the 18th floor. This floor is known as Under Resort, a safe place where no monster spawned from its wall. It was a safe place where Adventures can rest before continuing their journey deep into the Lower Floors. 

Bors sighed, “are you sure you didn't mishear other people screaming with other things?” He asked again, still not believing his companion rambling. 

The man looks very insulted by Bors's remark. “Bors,” the man begins while putting his mug down, “I ain’t tone-deaf, I know the difference between someone dying and singing.” The look in his eyes tells that if he still thinks he was tone-deaf, he will throw his mug to his face. 

“You know a lot of people claim to hear a lot of weird things from down there, right? Why should I trust you?”

“C’mon Bors, you know me. I’m not like those people.”

“Fine,” Bors said while crossing his arms to the front. “So you heard some dude–”

“Girl.” He suddenly interjects.

Bors blink once, “... huh?” is the only voice he makes after he’s being cut off from his speech.

“It’s a girl.” He said it again to clarify.

“How do you know its girl?” Bors ask. Of all think, he has fealing that's is the only bit that true.

“I know because she has a beautiful voice. No lad can sing like that.” He said it.

“I remember some fellow that has beautiful voices,” Bors said while scratching his chin. Both of them know who he's talking about, and both have very different reasons as to why they still remember that particular fellow.

He scoffs at Bors's remarks, “Bah … that bastard looks so girly, I ain’t sure if he even got balls in his pants,” he said, before chugging his drink.

Bors laughed loudly in his mind while still managing to keep his face normal, as he know exactly where the animosity came from, and it was quite a funny story. But now is not the time to dwell on the past, “whatever you say,” he dismisses his remark, “So to summarize, a mysterious girl is singing in the Dungeon, is that what you want to say.” he concludes.

“Yes! Is that really hard to believe!” He exclaimed while slamming his mug to the table. He starts to get tired of his attitude toward his lack of trust.

More than you think.’ Bors grumbly thought. “Okay, let's just say you actually hear a girl sing down there.”

“But I really heard it,” He protests,  but Bors does not give any response or even acknowledge it.

“Who do you think is singing down there?” 

“Well,” he folds his arms and closes his eyes with a though full expression on his face. Then he opens his eyes and leans closer to the table, an action mirrored by Bors. “there is only one answer for that,” he pauses as if he going to give a revelation, “It's a ghost,” he whispers.

“... A Ghost?” Bors parrot back, not believing what he just heard.

“Aye, a Ghost.” He said it again with a nod full of conviction.

There was a silence, till abruptly Bors lean back to his chair while bemoaning tiredly.

“What? you don’t believe me?”

Bors pinches his nose, “do you not think maybe … I don't know,  just another person.”

“Who the hell are singin’ in Dungeon!? That's just plain stupid!” He declared.

“and ghosts aren’t!?

“Ghost doesn't care about living. they are dead.”

Bors sighed again. “so what do you want me to do?” He asks, hoping to end this useless talk.

“I don't know. Can you send someone to check it out?”

“And do what? Going down there, risking their lives for something that only you heard? Something that probably doesn't exist!?”

“It's not just me,” he said in seriousness, “I talk to the other parties and they say they also found something strange down there.”

“Other as well?” Bors raises an eyebrow as he has not heard this before. 

“Aye,” his eyes hardened which spoke of the experience. “I’ve been talking to Oscar or Nora, and they say the same.”

“Fine,” Bors huff,  “I will write something to the Guild about what you found.”

“Thanks, bro.”

“don't thank me yet,” Bors grumbly said. “I still need to collect more evidence before I can take this to the Guild so they can make Quest for it.”

“Still, you have my thanks.”

“Yeah-yeah whatever, now,” Bors shushed him with a wave, “let me have my drink quietly.”

And the man did just that. He stand up and quickly left after putting a few coins on the table, enough to pay for drinks for both of them. 

Bors can appreciate that. The guy can be weird at times, but he's the kind of person who will live by taking his code seriously. He watched as the man pushed the double door and left before sighing again, he leaned forward with his hands propping his head from the elbows against the table. 

Damn it, why do these problems keep popping up,’ Bors thought, ‘usually is just people getting into a fight, but now this?’ He sighs again before he sips his drink, the taste of the cheap liquid filling his– 

“Having a rough day?” 

The sudden young voice that Bors has become familiar with for the past week startled him, so much so that he was choked on his drink. He slams his mug down and chough a few times till he calms down. He looks at the man in front of him. A dark hair as dark as the night sky and equally dark eyes stare back at him. Nox Black is one of few problems that suddenly appears. 

Now, Rivira is a small city, no, calling it a city is a little misleading. Rivira is a small settlement, built as a Frontier by the Adventures. It was born from the need for a frontier for those who plan to continue their journey down. The number of people who lived in this place was relatively small, small enough to maintain its existence, but big enough to defend the city from the occasional Monsters coming from the floors below.

Now, because of the relatively small population, most of the people living here know each other quite well or are at least familiar with each other. This makes information spread more quickly because people like to gossip. So usually it will be found out immediately if a new person manages to get to this Floor. And that's exactly what happen around a week ago.

There was a new person in town. It's not like he makes some ruckus or anything like that. He came to the market twice, not buying anything, which is normal considering how those people charge their stuff, which is disgusting. He sometimes went to a bar but most of the time chose to stay outside of the city. That in itself is not weird, some solo Adventurers usually have the same habit as him. The problem is no one really knows who he is. He surely is not a level one as he did not come with a party, if so then he must be a level two or higher considering he can come here alone. But if he's at that level, at least his name should be known, after all, someone that can reach that level will have some kind of reputation not to mention an alias from the Gods. There is also the fact that many see him doing something suspicious in various places on this floor. 

All of this smells of trouble, so as the ruler of this city, Bors needs to fix this. That day, he brings a few of his trusted men to give a lesson to this newcomer. 

… or at least that's how it should be.

“GUH!!” 

The screams of pain from Karl were the last thing Bors heard from him as his body hit a tree. He watched, as Karl's body flung like a ragdoll toward the tree. Something snapped as he hit the tree and Bors doesn't know if it was the tree or the bone in Karl's body. 

Is this my end,’ Bors thought after seeing how the man in front of him effortlessly beat a dozen of his man. The last of his man that still standing, Karl, now slump against the tree, unmoving. 

Is he dead?’ Bors thought as he look at Karl's body, he twitches, and Bors sighed, ‘It looks like I need to buy him some drink.’

“You know, you should take your chance when I told you to leave,” he said as he turn from Karl to Bors. His dark eyes swirl as he observes Bors. 

If we all still alive.’

“But I understand,” Bors can only watch as he starts to move toward him, careful not to step on the bodies lying around him, all of them moan and groan in pain. He also realizes that the man has not moved so much when they attack him. “As a mob boss of this place, you have some … reputation to uphold.”.

He stopped in front of Nora who was crawling onto his sword. He stomped his hand just as he managed to grasp the hilt of his sword.

“GAH!!!”

“Sorry,” He said with a sorry face as he look at Nora's face, “but I can't let you do that, so [Dormio].”

Bors may not understand the language he uses, but he understands enough that it was a spell. A one-word spell, which practically for him was high-level magic as it doesn't need an incantation. His blood ran cold as he watches all his men start to fall silent as they fell into a deep sleep.

Don’t tell me, he’s like the Silence!’ The image of the white-haired woman with her heterochromia eyes cross Bors's mind as she was the only person Bors know for having this kind of magic.

“I understand that you don't like a troublemaker in this little kingdom of yours,” He said before walking toward him. “and while I don't like playing with a mobster, I can understand the necessity of it.” 

“I mean,” He continued, “I was going to say ‘Hello’ to you until you come in and interrupt my study and ruin my mood.” He stops in front of Bors and gazes down at his state.

Bors was the only one that was still fully conscious, and that was slightly better than the other. 

Bors spits some blood, “What do you want,” he said tauntingly. Perhaps it was not the brightest idea. But, It's not like he can't escape with his body that refuses to move because of some internal wound and not because he is scared.

… well maybe a little bit, but he was a level 3 goddammit. Bors will not go any lower than this. So with his back against a tree, he stares at him furiously, or at least that is what he wants to believe.

He smiled, with an amused expression on his face and Bors swore that his black eyes turned silver for a moment. “I believe we are all starting on the wrong foot here. So let's start again, I will go first,” He cleared his throat, “Hello, I am Nox,” he crouched down to his knees until he reached his level, “Bors Elder. I, offer you an accord.”

Bors was a little confused, “... What?”

“A deal. A simple deal that I’m sure will bring benefit for both of us.”

Bors can only watch and nod as Nox continues.

Seeing this Nox smiled, “I'm glad that you can be civilized. So the deal was quite simple, you do something for me, I will do something for you. A favor, for another favor”

“What exactly do you want me to do,” Bors said trying to keep his voice even.

“Well,” Nox begins, “you, Mr. Elder, as a de facto ruler of this place, you don't like a troublemaker. I, as a scholar, as you can see don't like to be interrupted in my study. So let's begin from there.”

“You want me to become your bodyguard?”

“I see you quick to learn,” Nox smiles, the same way an adult congratulates a child which makes Bors scoff. “While I appreciate the gesture, as you can see, I can keep myself safe. No. What I need is your name.”

“My name?”

“Yes. Specifically, I want to have an affiliate with you.” Seeing the confused face, Nox explains, “You see if people know that I have you as my backing, the fewer people are prone to bother me while I’m here.”

“Okay, but some people already have some suspicion against you.”

Nox tilts his head in confusion, “What do I do to gain those things?”

 “Well, you kind of just show up from nowhere and suddenly manage to reach this place. There is also someone who claims to see you doing something suspicious, so…”

 “Ah, I see,” Nox said white a nod of understanding, “Well that's where you come in.”

“And what exactly I must do…”

“Just make some stories about I’m being a cartographer or say something like ‘if you are good at reading maps you will find a shortcut', or 'you don't have to fight every single monster you find,’ or something like that. Do whatever it takes to make sure they don't bother me. I’m sure you can think the rest of it.”

Bors nod, but then a thought crosses Bors's mind, “You want to become a shadow ruler of this city?”

“Is that what you think!” Nox sneered at his accusation, “Listen, I don't have a desire to rule this place. You want to be the ruler of this place? Sure, be my guest. I don't care as long as I can do my work. Do you understand?”

Bors can only nod as he sees the glint in Nox's eyes and the tone of his voice that show how serious he is.

“Good,” Nox takes a breath to calm himself. “The next thing I want is information.”

Bors frown, “What kind of information?”

“Any kind. Something like if I want this thing where should I go,  what kind of person is he, what the latest rumor out there. You know, that kind of stuff. Surely you can do that right.”

“I can do that,” Bors said with a nod. “anything else Nox-san?”

Nox snorted, not wanting to take his provocation, ”Just Nox is fine, and that's all, for now, I will think of another one when I need it.”

“You said it a favor for a favor, and I think this deal is heavily favored on you. So what is it for me.” 

Nox smiles, and at that moment, Bors curse himself for tempting fate. Fortunately, his nightmare is not going to be a reality.

“You a right. For the first favor, I will not intervene whit whatever you doing here just like you will not intervene in my work. Don't worry, nothing I do will bring harm to this place and I will help you as long as it doesn't against my morals.”

Bors wants to protest about how little he feels he gets, but he chose to hold his tongue and just nods.

“For the second favor, hmm,” Nox hum and tap his chin. “This place is quite dangerous, right. So how about I over you my ability in Healing magic.”

That raises Bors's interest. A healer is very valuable in this place, but he knew he should not just take the bait.

“We have plenty of healers here,” Bors said while masking his interest.

“Is that so,” Nox said as he know what Bors doing. “But let's be honest, is it really worth how much they charge, with the level of their skill?”

“So you claim you are better than them?”

“I can reattach the missing limb,” Nox simply stated with shrug, “Can they?”

Bors needs a moment to process Nox's statement, ‘If what he says is true, then he was as good as one of Dian Cecht's children,’ he thought. Bors gulped, “... Can you really do that?” 

Nox shows his dagger behind his cloak, “A demonstration perhaps.”

Bors shakes his head. Then a question comes to his mind, “What if I refuse?”

Nox easy going and relaxed manner suddenly vanish, replace by a cold and indifferent attitude. He stands up, “Well, I have a few ideas.”

Bors gulped, “such as?”

“I can put a Slave Curse on your body,” Nox said

“... you can't be serious.”

“I was going to use it if you can't be civilized.”Nox simply stated.

“There is no such thing as Slave Curse!”

“Well, there is.”

“I never heard about it!”

“That because you can't say it once you have it on your body.”

“... ha, ha, haha, you are joking right?”

“...”

“... right?”

“... well, they say seeing is believing, so,” Nox snaps his finger, and a blood-red magic circle forms beneath Bors.

“What the–”

[In nomine Patris et Filii, et—]

“Okay! OKAY! I get it! Please stop!”

Nox stops his chant, and the magic circle dissolves into nothingness, “so we have a deal?” his manner back to normal.

Bors sighed, “... yeah …”

“What's that?”

“Yeah, we have a deal!” Bors said as he shake Nox's hand while grumbling, “Crazy bastard.”

“What's that?”

“Nothing!” Bors quickly said. He quickly withdrew his hand and he was too tired to notice that there was a sense of stinging when he shook hands with Nox. “Now, can you heal us?”

Nox nod and start chanting, “[O terra aeterna qua pulcher sol matutinus oritur, dona nobis perpetua bona.]

Bors watched as golden light started envelope his body and his men.

And that's how Bors gets into this situation.

“A penny for your thoughts?” Nox said before he wave to one of the waiters and ask for a drink.

Bors coughed for the last time, “What?”

“A penny–,” Nox stopped as he realises something important, “this place doesn't have a penny,” he murmured. “No. What I want to say is, mind sharing what makes you trouble?”

Bors sighed and shake his head, “No, it's not a big deal.”

The waiters came and take the previous glass and money before putting a new glass full of ale on the table. 

Nox said his thanks to him and paid for the drink before turning back to Bors, “If it's not a big deal, then why do you think about it so seriously?”

Bors grumble, “You not gone leave me till I said it, right?”

“I just want to help,” Nox sips his drink, “Besides, you have been staying true to your part of the deal, so I guess I will also play my part.”

“Will you really help me if I ask?”

“I told you before, so long as it is not against my morals, I will help,” Nox sip his drink again, “You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours. It's a simple deal right.”

Bors sighed and greedily chug his drink before slamming it to the table, “Is not something new, but it looks like there have been strange new rumors floating around.”

“Rumors? What kind?”

“The kind of, people hear something strange when they're down there, or something like that, that kind of stuff.”

“Is this kind of thing new here?” 

Bors snorted, “There always be someone here that claims to hear something from down there.”

“So, what's the difference now?”

“The difference is everyone starts to say the same thing,” Bors growled in frustration.

“Which is …?” Nox gestures to Bors to continue.

“They said they heard someone or something singing down there.”

“And you believe them?”

“No, not until a few moments ago when my men start saying the same thing.” Bors sighed, “there is also someone who claims that the one singing there is a monster.”

“Hmm, so what? They see a Siren singing.”

Bors frowned, “Those things can’t sing … How do you know it was a Siren?”

Nox was just opening his mouth when he realise it, “Ah, I forget, here they don't sing.”

Bors frow deepen, “What are–”

Nox quickly waves his hand in dismissal, “No, just forget about it. So, are there any interesting things besides that?”

Bors shrugs, “Aside from that? Not much,” he takes a sip of the drink that is still left in the glass, put it down, and makes a gesture to the waiters to revile his glass. The waiter comes in and fills it to the brim, Bors continues after he takes a sip, “there is some rumor monster scavenging the remains of dead Adventure.”

Nox raises an eyebrow, “Isn’t that normal?”

It was normal after all to have a dead Adventure eaten by a monster.

“Aye, what's not normal is that they only take their gear and armor but leave the body intact.”

That makes Nox raise an eyebrow.

Unless they were born with weapons, Monsters in this world rarely used weapons. And if they did, it was limited to a few types of Monsters that usually had a humanoid form. Even then their weapon of choice is a stick. The only Monsters that use weapons are the monsters that live on the surface, namely Goblins and Kobolds. There was also common knowledge that Monsters born from Dungeons were more ferocious and couldn't hold themselves back, so they couldn't wield weapons unless they were born with them.

“You don't think that they start to learn to use tools right?” Nox voiced his thought.

“Bloody hell, don't give me that dreadful image.”

A horde of monsters that lust for blood and destruction with the capability of using tools. Yeah, that's a nightmare in making.

“Yeah you're right,” Nox sips his drink, “Anything else?” He asks.

“Well … a group of angry healers come to me and demand you to go.”

“And who do you think whose fault is this?”

After showing his healing capability, Bors has used Nox magic as a way to gain favor from a lot of people in this city. Bors cemented his position as a leader by helping those who usually will have to lose a limb to save their lives and gain a lot of favor from it. Of course, it makes a lot of healers in Rivira see Nox as treat for their job.

“Well, you are not lying about your magic.”

“I swear if someone comes again with just a minor injury, I will make the process as painful as humanly possible.” Nox sighed, “anything else?”

“Hmm, there is not much happening. People come and go, Ikelos Familia still looks as shady as usual–”

“Ikelos you say,” Nox cut him.

“Yeah, I see a few of them not long ago. Those people still look as shady as I remember.”

Nox drums his fingers to the table, “... can you tell me more about them?”

“Them? Do you mean Ikelos Familia? Sure, they–”

There was a sudden commotion as many gathered to the closes windows.

“Hey, what happens?” Bors shouted.

“Ah, Bors-san, It looks like the Loki Familia just return,” said one of the onlookers.

Bors stands up and starts walking toward the nearest window, pushing and shoving every single in front of him. Nox follows closely behind him.

Because of the position of this bar which is at a high elevation. They can see almost the place including the path that leads to the lower level.

“Give me that!” Bors said as he snatch a binocular from one of the onlookers.

“Do you have some business with them?” Nox asked as he stood beside him, looking at where the Loki Familia exited the tunnel that led to the lower floor.

“Well, usually I will buy some of their loot they find,” He said as he look through the binoculars.

“I sense, a but”

Bors throw the binoculars back to its owner and glance at Nox. As he turns, he chances to see Nox's eyes that just return from his silver color to their usual black color. At first, he thought that it was some sort of trick of the light, but now he was now sure that whenever that happen it mean that he just use some sort of magic

“It looks like, they have some trouble in this expedition,” he concluded after seeing their state.

They return back to their seat. Leaving the crowd that still wants to look.

“Maybe I should say hello to them,” Nox murmur.

“Did you say something?”

“No, nothing at all.”

“So,” Nox begins as he sits down in his chair, “Tell me more about Ikelos Familia.”

A/N: Oh, I’m alive. Somehow. Anyway hope you guys enjoy it.

Leave some comments/review 

Discord: 

Schultz's server

Ko-fi:

Schultz_von

8