Chapter 7: The Prism Girls
1k 1 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm super excited to share these next few chapters. Enjoy!

And as always, be sure to follow or come to my Discord server to stay up to date!

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

EDIT 10/25/21: Corrected the formatting.

CW: Suggestion of assault.

“So, this is the place?” Jackie looked on with concern. An abandoned industrial building standing before them.

“It’s so weird, we normally see them all the time, but it looks so eerie now,” Ichika frowned. “Still this is a little exciting.”

“By the way, Ichika, your kimono is really pretty,” Jackie let out a soft giggle. “Those soft blue parts are super pretty on you.”

“Oh, thank you Jackie,” Ichika smiled.

“However,” Carmen interjected, “it’s not blue, it’s cyan,” she wagged her finger knowingly.

“What’s the difference? Isn’t cyan just a tint of blue?” Jackie tilted his head.

“Hohoho,” Carmen gave a haughty laugh. “You see, my dear Jackie, cyan has many unique traits, such as being a part of the CMY, color model.”

“What are you going on about?” Annie sighed as they all gave her a confused look and crossing her arms.

“Well, I’ve been thinking,” Carmen grinned. “We can’t just go running in there using our regular names, right?” she put her hands on her hips and puffed out her chest striking a heroic pose. “So, we should use code names!”

“Hahaha,” Jackie laughed. “You’re such a geek sometimes Carmen, but I think you’re right.”

“Well of course,” she patted her chest confidently.

“Yeah, I think so too,” Annie smirked. “And it sounds like you already have something in mind too.”

“I sure do!” Carmen nodded. “Like I said, Cyan is part of CMY, cyan, magenta, and yellow,” she said pointing to Ichika, Jackie, and then herself. “Red’s a part of it too. CMY are the primary colors...” she blinked. “I think. But the point is they’re all part of a color wheel based on how light works. So, I think we should be the Prism Girls, named after each of our colors,” she explained patting herself on the chest.

“I mean, excuse the fact that Jackie’s a boy, but I think that otherwise works,” Annie said, trying to be respectful of him, unaware that Jackie flinched slightly, feeling somewhat odd over the comment. He wasn’t certain why, but being excluded felt… odd, even wrong. He shook his head free of the feeling.

“I don’t have an issue with it. I rather like it actually,” Jackie scratched his head.

“I like it a lot too,” Ichika giggled. “Although, as I understand it, CMY is actually used for printer colors. RGB is the color set for light and stuff, but still otherwise right.”

“Please don’t get pedantic about this,” Jackie gave a high-pitched whine. “My head can’t handle it!”

“Sorry,” Ichika giggled. “Either way I like it, you did well with that one Carmen,” she smiled.

“Aw, thanks everyone,” Carmen blushed as she giggled happily.

“So, to confirm, for everyone, going by Carmen’s idea, I’ll be Prism Red, Chi will be Prism Cyan, Carmen Prism Yellow, and Jackie Prism Magenta, is that alright with everyone?”

“Yeah,” they all answered in agreement.

“Alright,” Carmen eagerly clenched her hand. “There’s the entrance, we ready to rock!?” she beamed, the others mimicking her.

“Then let’s get started,” Annie looked to Ichika. “Chi, if you will?”

“Right,” she formed a triangle with her hands, then slowly moved them apart. Over the past week, with the encouragement of her friend and them comforting her, she had managed to gain some mastery over her powers. She wasn’t perfect yet, but that lack of control had its own benefits. The unease and uncertainty allowed her powers to flood out, her control acting as floodgates on it until it was released. She concentrated and focused to release only a little of her power, forming a small bright blue orb of frigid energy.

The air began to chill and stiffen. Annie kneeled beside her and held her pointer finger underneath the orb, a flame igniting at its tip, forming a torch. The chilling and warm magics melded, the water in the atmosphere beginning to clump together, uncertain to expand or contract. Fortunately, the weather served as a boon to their plans, allowing for a fog to form in the area. While unusual for the area, the recent events made it a more feasible reality as rolling fogs had been sighted across the valley due the magical events. It was rather inexplicable for the naturally dry region, but something had been happening for such spikes in humidity and atmosphere, which proved to their benefit.

The group gathered their wits and gave a hearty nod as they proceeded into the now ambiguous opening into the area. The thick fog seemed to engulf everything in its impenetrable veil. They heard a few shouts of confusion as well as a variety of grumbles about the phenomena, one even shouting “I moved to get away from this crap!” They were then answered by a few responses to remain calm as they waited for ‘Gunther’ to blow it away. With any luck they would be through before such could happen.

They made their way to the front of the building, holding each other’s hands to make their way quietly and safely, succeeding in their task as they hit a wall, finding a door to their side. Annie gave it a good tug, a solid ‘thunk’ providing confirmation that it was locked. A simple common lock, nothing unusual about it. Perfectly common and safe under normal circumstances. Pre-magic anyway. Annie grinned as she made a torch with her finger again, using it to melt the lock, another solid tug freeing the door from its confines. The four made their way in and closed the door.

“Everyone okay?” Annie whispered.

“Charged and ready to go,” Carmen grinned with a zap arcing between her fingers.

“Then just like we planned, right Chi?” Jackie nodded.

“Right,” she said as they approached the corner of the hallway, throwing a bit of magic at the wall across from them forming a reflective surface to look down the hall. “Looks like it’s clear.”

“Hold up,” Carmen stopped her. “Looks like they might have cameras,” she pointed to a black orb like object on the ceiling. She pointed at it and snapped her fingers, causing it to make a sharp ‘pop’ and a quiet sizzle. “There, that should blind them.”

“We all good to move then?” Annie asked, the others giving a thumbs up. “Alright, then let’s go.”

“You three have really gotten good at this,” Jackie said with a high-pitched chuckle as they began to move.

“Thank Carmen for that bit, it was her idea to have the ice mirror,” Ichika gave a soft chuckle.

“The lock melting too,” Carmen boasted.

“I mean, I came up with it too, though I’ll admit it was your idea to use a slender flame so I didn’t damage the rest of the door,” Annie winked.

“Yeah, and your knowhow really helped it come together Annie,” Carmen added.

“Oh, before we proceed any further,” Annie looked to Jackie as they came to a halt.

“Oh, right, I almost forgot,” he squeaked. He brought his hands to his chest then placed them on the wall. Jackie still wasn’t as good with his powers as Vivi had been. But the few times she had used their powers had given Jackie some ideas and their spare training sessions over the past week helped him refine it. His powers seemed to be linked to life. Whether it be connecting Ichika’s feelings or growing the plants around her to fight, she seemed to focus on life. In turn, he believed he had the ability to connect with the life around him, and even see it. It was far from precise, most like a sonar, blips in a field of sensation. He turned to the others, “I can’t tell how many there are, but there’s people in a larger room up ahead.

“Hm?” Ichika hummed.

“What’s the matter Chi?” Carmen poked her.

“Well, I forgot to mention, but I think I can sense moisture and heat. Not super well mind you, but I can a bit. And right now, I’m sensing a good amount of it in a room ahead of us,” she explained.

“Water?” Carmen wondered aloud.

“It should be the next room,” Jackie added.

“Wait, do you hear...” Ichika mumbled. The four perked their ears as they began to hear a feminine voice. It was soft and gentle, like a soothing wave of water creeping up one’s leg as the tide comes it. They could feel themselves zone out for a second as the dulcet tones eased their spirits and felt like it rejuvenated the strength.

“It’s beautiful,” Annie sighed blissfully with blush kissing her cheeks. She felt on the verge of tears from how lovely it was. It also felt so comforting... even a bit familiar.

“It’s so amazing,” Carmen giggled as she swayed to the tune.

“It sounds so sad though,” Jackie frowned.

“Hold on,” Ichika said as she froze the wall across from the large opening of the room. The layer of ice was thicker than the last one, giving a clear mirror like reflection across the wall, reflecting the room and the people within. What they saw was a set of bleachers, like those used at Jackie’s school for sports games. Thick stair like ordering of seats rising a number of feet into the air.

On the bleachers were 5 people. Two average looking men, one with short brown hair, and the other with blonde. Then behind them were two beastmen, a bulky one that looked like a tiger, and a slenderer one that looked like a fox. The four all wore a simple array of jeans, simple t-shirts and leather jackets. Then finally behind them was someone in a cloak who sat cross legged behind him, with a position that looked to imitate royalty, conveying power and control.

Across from them was a large translucent tank full of water, a lone girl floating within, her long deep blue hair draping into the water as she seemed to bob in it rather elegantly. What they could see of her beautifully curving body moved as she sang, her eyes quiet with pain and sadness. The group briefly boggled as to why she was there, and even more so the lack of security before deciding it must be something these villains had decided for their kicks.

“That’s enough,” a proud man’s voice came from the cloak, causing the girl to stop. “Your singing is starting to give me a headache,” his voice had an edge of irritation to it.

“Perhaps that’s because of your black spoiled heart,” the girl retorted with an angry bite, revealing her glimmering pink eyes which sparked with intense anger.

“Oh, you slay me with your petty insults,” the cloaked man chortled in his seat. “But I suppose you don’t have any other power you can really exercise, do you,” the girl grimaced. “After all, so long as you have that enchanted choker, you have no power here,” he laughed, reveling in her anguished face. “You can’t resist me. So how about you stop being a pain in the ass before I find another use for you. Although, your body is a reward itself, I suppose. Quite the marvelous and elegant little trophy I’ve found myself, wouldn’t you agree gentlemen?”

“Yeah,” one of the apparent henchmen chuckled. “Real easy on the eyes this one is. Really did well finding her.”

“You putrid...” the girl grumbled as her face twisted with disgust which only seemed to further delight the cloaked man.

The group’s faces turned with similar disgust. Carmen clenched her fists, ready to strike, electricity arcing across her gauntlets, licking for a hit. Ichika’s eyes homed in on the man, staring frigid daggers into him as her fingers twitched, pining to use a spell as cold frost began to gather in her palm. Jackie began to breathe harder anger flashing in his eyes, gripping his dress to keep himself centered. Finally, Annie gave the man a death glare as embers seemed to shed off her as it began to glow, her animosity searing the air around her.

“Don’t worry, I’ll of course treat you well,” he sneered. “After all, you’re my oh so precious siren,” he laughed.

Suddenly the man’s eyes grew large as he saw a sparking yellow ball being lobbed at him. It missed him, hitting the bleachers to his side, exploding with splash sparks. A sharp electrified pain crashed through him for what felt like minutes but was barely even seconds. He glared down at the ground to see who was audacious enough to attack him so brazenly. He was shocked to see four girls before him. The other four men giving a similar shocked glare at the four.

“Shove off creep!” Carmen shouted as she gripped her pulsing hand, still surging from the electric bomb she tossed.

“Bwahahaha!” The cloaked man laughed as he quickly recovered. “My oh my, look at this preciously colorful group!” he cackled his anger dissipating into mockery. “What cute girls coming all this way to gift themselves to me!” the group cringed. “Ooh, and quite the gorgeous woman too,” he eyed Annie who quivered with disgust.

“Cute or not, how did they get in?” the tiger man groaned.

“What happened to all the guards?” the brunette man facepalmed. “What the hell are those slackers doing?”

“Yeah, and the building was totally secured,” the blonde man twitched. “After all the trouble I went to...”

“It doesn’t matter how they got in,” the cloaked man laughed. “Now enough whining, go show our guests how we do things, if you would.”

“Heh, this is why I like you, boss,” the fox man snickered as he leapt off the bleachers, twisting in the air to show his athletic might. The tiger man landing similarly beside him with less athletic showiness and a more audible thud.

“Yellow!” Annie called out alerting Carmen. “You go for the fox, I’ll take the tiger!” she declared. “Cyan, Magenta, hold back and try to help the girl!” she directed.

“Right!” the others responded.

Carmen rushed the fox man, her suit buzzing with sparks as she spun a kick at him. The fox leapt back and eyed her with fascination. “Oh, a battle of agility, this’ll be fun,” he laughed.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be laughing plenty from the shock I’m about to give you,” she clenched her electrified fist.

“Oh, AND a witty tongue, I really lucked out!” he snickered as he ran at her for a swipe with his claws, only meeting her hard gauntlet. Carmen swung her fist at his face only for him to narrowly dodge it, his fur extending towards her charged fist. The two grinned at each other in anticipation. Carmen’s fists gripped tight a pulse of electricity circling around it as the fox man bared his claws reveling in the excitement to test them out on a live person.

Away from the two Annie stared down the snarling tiger man before her. She could hear murmurs from him, something condescending, as he talked to himself before he turned them outward. “Phuh,” he gave her a bored look. “Sorry girlie, but Imma need you to go to sleep now.” She gritted her teeth as she thought of her strategy. Fighting him was going to be complicated. He had several feet on her in more than one direction, a note that seemed to be emphasized as his pecs rippled, his predator’s intent laid bare. She needed to play this smart and quick.

Annie took a breath. “You’ll regret underestimating me,” she said with a hushed bite. He lunged at her, causing her to move back, heat building in her grasp. He was in position, she smirked and blasted at him point blank with a fireball. He screeched in shock and horror as he tried to put out his blazing arm. She ran towards the bleachers, keeping a careful eye on the situation. The cloaked man seemed disinterested in fighting himself. Maybe he couldn’t fight at all. Regardless, she intended to use that to her advantage, stepping up a few steps, before spinning around. The tiger man growled as he rose to his feet. She grinned once more and pelted him with another fireball. This was going to be easy.

As Annie and Carmen tackled the bulkier beast men, Jackie and Ichika began to glare down their own adversaries as the pair of average men approached them. The brunette and blonde humans snickered as they eyed the young pair, and they returned with a serious glare. Then the two traded a nodding grin as the men drew their guns.

“These two shouldn’t be hard, right Magenta?” Ichika chuckled.

“Yeah,” Jackie smiled. “These two should be easy Cyan.”

“Did you like not notice we have guns?” the blonde gave a bored stare. “Cause they kinda give us the upper hand.”

“Nah, you know kids these days. They’re obviously high and think they’re invincible,” the brunette said with great wit, or at least he thought so, not that the opinion was shared as the pair of magical girls looked on unimpressed.

“Not, quite boys,” Ichika winked as she waved at them. The men glanced at her in confusion, before a cold jolt surged through them from their hands.

“OW!” the blonde yelped as his frost covered gun fell to the floor, followed quickly by his partner’s. “Ice magic!” he winced in pain. “Should’ve seen that one coming from the ice bitch!”

“Heh, you must think yourselves pretty cool,” the other shook off the pain as Ichika and Jackie gave an unenthused look.

“Are these two really villains?” Jackie asked. “They just seem like a couple of losers trying to pass themselves off as dangerous.”

“Hey now, plenty of villains are losers and uncool,” Ichika chuckled.

“Damn,” the blonde grimaced. “Being told off by a couple of teen girls like that’s just obnoxious. But still,” he began to grin.

“Now who’s quick to judge?” the brunette laughed as he curled his hand, and the two shared a confused look before looking back.

A black gleam began to build in one’s hand followed by his comrade’s. The dark light billowed and built upon itself as a rancid smelling heat seemed to build in their palms. “We aren’t your garden variety humans anymore,” the blonde snickered.

“See, we’ve been learnin from the boss,” the brunette gave a creepy smile. “And we’ll be certain to beat the asses of a couple of brats like you.” Jackie and Ichika could only shake at the sudden revelation. It was no surprise that other humans could have magic, much less normal humans learn it, but they hadn’t run into any organized group like this before, not even in rumors online.

“Magenta, take cover!” Ichika yelled, as she swiftly summoned a wall of ice before her, Jackie heeding her instructions.

“Night, night kids!”

The black fireballs hurtled towards them, crashing into the ice leaving chunks of it melting on contact as water began to pool on the floor.

“Cyan, Magenta,” Carmen called out before her attention immediately returned to the fox man, barely dodging the swipe of his tail. “Damn, I can’t get through.”

“I’m not letting my fun get away from me that easily,” the fox man chortled. “You and I are gonna have lots of fun!” his tail wrapped around her wrist as he pulled her in, ready to strike with his claws. “Now be a good girl, and...”

“Screw you!” Carmen yelled as she punched the fox in the face, sending him sliding back. He recoiled then redoubled himself. He grinned, as if excited and eager for her next actions, liking the blood from his lip. Carmen looked on in disgust. “You really are creepy,” she said before gagging. “Red!”

“Got it,” Annie replied. The tiger man remained pinned, there was little doubt she could help them, she just needed to get to them. She lobbed a few more fireballs as she stepped down, eyeing Ichika and Jackie. She took a breath as she began dashing towards them. However, just as she had gotten herself going, eagerly considering her next move, a massive force rammed into her. It didn’t stop and continued to charge at her until she had been pinned in the stretch of wall between the bleachers and the open door her group emerged from. “D-damn,” she coughed.

“Not so hot now, are ya,” the Tiger man grinned as she sputtered in his grip. In the moment she took her eyes off of him, he managed to get himself up, having positioned himself for such a break, and choosing to throw her against the wall. Using his massive hands, he proceeded to start crushing her against the wall. Was it his instincts or had they planned for this kind of scenario?

Annie’s eyes darted back to Ichika and Jackie who were huddled against the wall of ice, as it slowly shrank in the face of the putrid fireballs being flung into it.

“What do we do?” Jackie cowered as Ichika grimaced. He felt so helpless compared to the other three. They were trying their best, and even holding their own, despite the circumstances, but he struggled to do anything of use. He felt like crying.

The cloaked man looked on with glee as he saw the situation once more turn to his favor. ‘What should I do with my new prizes?’ he thought as he looked over the girls with a sickly grin. His mind tabbed through a variety of options. He could certainly see a use for them. He looked up to see his precious siren stuck in her tank and grinned as she looked on helplessly. All was going smoothly. An unforeseen situation, but far from a negative one for him.

What fate awaits our Prism Girls. Find out next time on Dragon Ba... wait...

56