Epilogue: Seekers
819 7 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Join me down below for some commentary.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

The pub was noisy, full of conversations from the buzz of several dozen patrons. It had been a little difficult recently. Every business was struggling to adjust, and this one was no exception. The owner of the decently sized location, now with a new large spider like body, found merely entering her business to be difficult. That was until a couple days ago when they got a new door installed with the help of a local mage. It helped a lot with the clientele, especially those who had experienced an unexpected growth spurt of their own.

The bartender for the evening was a young woman in appearance, her soft curves exemplified by her newfound elven beauty. The patrons were in awe at how the rather plain looking older woman had become such a bombshell. They particularly enjoyed how she had a certain excitement to indulge an amount of flirting. They all knew she was off limits, but the pleasantry was enough to satisfy them, especially since she was no stranger to the lewd jokes the frequented the visitors lips. She was actually rather satisfied with how things had turned out recently.

She held a mug in her hand, the now clean glass reflecting her soft face, her long pointed ears twitching at her own sight before she set upon patting it dry. After a moment she noticed an unfamiliar reflection on the glass’s side. Her gaze rose to mee the cloaked person enter. “How’re you doing tonight?” she greeted the stranger. “Welcome to the Wind Keg, how can I help you?” she gave a wink.

“You wouldn’t happen to have any wine, would you?” the individual asked as she removed her cowl, revealing the elegant and sharp features of the young blonde woman underneath. The bartender was taken aback by the fierce yet gentle stare of her the woman’s blue crystal-like eyes.

“Unfortunately, we don’t,” the bartender frowned.

“Aw well, didn’t expect it honestly,” the patron chuckled. “Then, surprise me with something sweet? I like fruity flavors.”

“That gives me a few ideas,” the bartender nodded as she stepped away.

With the bartender gone, a small rumble shifted in the woman’s cloak, a white furred creature popping out from the bottom and floating up to her shoulder. “Thea, you could let me know when you’re about to sit down,” the creature complained as it shook its fluffy head.

“Sorry Palu,” Thea chuckled. “I didn’t mean to hurt you or anything.”

“It didn’t hurt, but it’s really uncomfy down there,” Palu sighed, her pink eyes shimmering.

“Here you… oh?” the bartender gawked at the creature.

“No worries, she’s my traveling companion,” Thea giggled. “She’s no harm, promise. Though if you have any milk for her, we’d appreciate that.”

“Normally we’d have a no pets rule, but things have been weird anyway, so I’ll bend the rules for you cutie,” the bartender chuckled as she grabbed a small glass and filled it with milk. “Here you go.”

“Thank you,” Palu bobbed before grabbing the glass with her paws, her long tail coiling around the glass.

“Since I have you for a moment, I had a question I wanted to ask,” Thea returned her attention to the bartender.

“What’s that?”

“I’m looking for information about this,” she answered, fishing through her pockets to pull out her phone. She poked at it a few times then showed it to the bartender. “Do you know anything about it?”

The bartender looked at the phone. It was a report about some battle at a nearby mall with the title “Who are the Prism Girls?”

“Oh, yeah, I’ve heard of that. It’s been the talk of the town for the past few days. Some people think they’re some kind of superhero group. Rumor has it they’ve been stopping a lot of bad guys lately. Gotta say, I’m a fan, seeing a bunch of girls like that kicking butt,” the bartender mused.

“Any idea of where to find them?”

“Not really. No one’s really sure how they operate right now,” the bartender sighed. “Rumor has it they’re based in Mesa or Gilbert though.”

“That helps, right Thea?” Palu asked eagerly.

“I mean it does, but only so much,” Thea frowned. “Those two towns are pretty big you know. Although it does narrow things a bit.”

“Do you need their help or something?” the bartender asked.

“Not exactly, this one just wants to find them,” she said looking to Palu.

“Mistress wants me to find them, and that’s what I’ll do,” Palu said proudly.

“I see,” the bartender nodded as she set a drink that had a yellow and orange gradient, a collection of ice cubes bobbing in it. “Sorry I can’t be of more help.”

“Nah, we didn’t expect this to be easy,” Thea chuckled as she took a sip of her drink. “Oh, hey, this is pretty nice. I bet Dio would like this,” she smiled.

“I’m glad you like it,” the bartender replied, her ears twitching with glee.

“Oh yeah, there’s one more thing I’d like to ask you about,” Thea looked back up, the bartender nodding. “I’m looking for someone. He’s pretty noticeable. He’s kind of a prick, a huge lech too,” Thea explained.

“You’re going to be a little more specific than that. I get hit on a lot, and we otherwise have pretty strict policies about that stuff here.”

“Well let’s see. He’s really self-centered, high and mighty too. And he’ll hit on any pretty lady,” the bartender shrugged. “That’s too bad. I need to find him, he’s really dangerous, and I don’t want to think about what might happen if we don’t find him.”

“Thea, how about his name,” Palu side eyed her.

“Oh, uh, right. That would probably help. He’s pretty loud about it too,” Thea chuckled in embarrassment.

“So? What’s his name?” the bartender tilted her head.

“He goes by...”

* * *

“Right this way, Mr. Z,” a man led their guest, opening the door to see an enraged Gunther.

“Rrgh,” Gunther grumbled as he laid back. His anger and disgust at how his operation went etched their way on his face. He was supposed to take down Cleo, the man hunting witch, and instead wound up with plenty of injuries and even more embarrassment. “Those damned Prism Girls!” he cursed. He concentrated his magic into a fireball and tossed it into the empty tank angrily.

“So, it’s true, you lost my merchandise then?” a suave voice asked, catching Gunther’s attention. He turned to face it, eyeing a man in an expensive tan suit, the dark brown of his undershirt contrasting against his golden tie. It almost looked like a thunderbolt striking the Earth.

“Mr. Z? What are you doing here?” he glared.

“Oh, you know, checking up on my investments,” Mr. Z chuckled. “I must admit, I hadn’t expected you to have failed so spectacularly. I take it that it was that man hunter that swiped my prize?”

“Not quite,” Gunther grunted.

“Oh? Then why have I heard you attempted to ambush her?”

“I was attempting to nip that problem in the bud,” Gunther confessed. “That woman is dangerous, and I wanted her taken care of before she caused me anymore problems.”

“I see. Well, at any rate, I’d like you to leave her to me now,” Mr. Z smirked.

“You sir?”

“Yes. I have a suspicion we’ll meet in due time anyway, assuming the rumors are true. And once she moves on me… well let’s just say I’ll be showing her where she properly belongs,” he snickered.

“You have strange tastes, Z.”

“No stranger than yours. Why you’d want to rule a city in the middle of a desert seems entirely absurd to me,” Mr. Z laughed. “By the way, if it wasn’t that man hunter who took my prize, then who did?”

“I assume you saw that news report?” Mr. Z nodded. “It was that other group of girls. Those Prism Girls. The mermaid in their ranks is the one I was holding for you.”

“I see. Then perhaps this isn’t going to be as tough as I expected it to be.”

“What does that mean?”

“Hoho,” Mr. Z chortled. “They’ve already got some growing tension with the police here. Enough of a nudge and they’ll do my work for me.”

“Oh really? You certainly know how to be relentless. I knew there was something I liked about you,” Gunther chuckled.

“You can afford to be when you’ve gotten to my level,” he smirked. “It looks like things are about to get quite rambunctious around here.”

This marks the end of Book 1 of Prism Girls. Like with Floroma, I have some plans for a few books on this one.

To start things off I'd like to talk a little bit about why I made this story. Prism Girls is the first story in a larger setting I've been quietly building for a few years focusing on magic in a modern setting. Prism Girls specifically started as a sort of unrelated prequel to another story I'm working set in the same setting, where magic appears in the modern world and all sorts of incredible things happen as a result. I wound up prioritizing Prism Girls since I really wanted to establish this setting and all of the stuff happening in it. So you can expect more with this setting further down the road.

As for the why? I've always liked magical girl stories and bright, colorful, and optimistic they are and all the emotions they pack in. And of course the idea of a trans girl getting to be a magical girl is something that I like too, which unfortunately there's not a lot of good examples of that in the mainstream. I also really like stories where the supernatural invades the modern day, but I normally get frustrated about how little intrigue is normally shown to the world that's experiencing said changes. Prism Girls wound up becoming a project for both of those, and I hope that everyone enjoyed this first adventure with me.

For some fun trivia, the original opening of the book was originally going to be entirely different, with a much more abrupt sequence on a crashing bus, and Vivi meeting everyone for the first time, even Carmen. As for the girls themselves, I wanted to have an interesting cast comprised of different backgrounds and identities. One big example was that I liked the idea of two adults being on the team having a lot more adult concerns, like ethical concerns and more complicated viewpoints.

On one final note about the book, I want to talk about some of the things I had the most fun writing. Writing the general references to pop media and the like was fun trying, and I had fun with a lot of the jokes I put in here. I especially had fun writing Melody being a total tease, and I was super excited when the book finally got to her showing up. Really, writing all of the girls was a lot of fun, and I'm excited to get back to writing them.

That leads me to the next topic. What's coming next. Like I keep saying, Floroma's second book is coming soon, and I'm mostly nailing down some transitional (heh) stuff in the last couple chapters... plus a treat. As for the next Prism Girls book, that answer is unfortunately a little more uncertain. While this semester I've had time to write and work on my books, that won't be true next semester, since I'm starting my internship. I'll be working in a public defender's office for my local mental health court, which I'm super excited for. However, I've got no idea how that will affect my productivity. It could make it plummet or it may spur me in my off time, who knows. At any rate, I do plan on doing some work on it once I wrap up Floroma. I'll be sure to keep my Discord updated and try to post some updates here as well.

That's it for now. I hope everyone had a fun time and is looking forward for the girls to come back.

Join me in the next Prism Girls when things begin to escalate in the world as new powerful forces begin to enter the picture, and Vivi is faced by both problems and some new friends.

52