Chapter 6
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brent

 

Well, I'm glad Aiden took a step towards this world. But it hurts a little that it was not a step towards me, but to Jack...

Hell, what difference does it make? After all, the main thing is that he took a step. It means that he'll recover? Come back to normal, right?

I never spoke to him about what had happened in a hospital. Maybe I should tell him that I know about him being gay, and that this is okay. I wonder if he will open up to me, or maybe he thinks that I will treat him like our parents? I can't blame him for these thoughts. But I must tell him that I know and put his mind at ease as soon as possible.

I thought I would sleep like a log, but instead of that I can't stop thinking. And the more I think, the worse it gets.

What if Aiden decided to follow through? What if he runs away from Jack? Or buys a box cutter, and then I’ll find my brother bled to death near the barn?

No... this is stupid... Why would he buy a box cutter, we have a knife in our house. And he could easily escape any of the days. He could have gone into the field, laid down in the thick grass, and no one would have found him. But Aiden didn't do it...

And yet I'm nervous... until their return... at 4 am.

I don't know where I got the strength from, but I jump out of bed and run out onto the porch. A scream’s bursting out of my throat, I want to break Jack's nose. But I see Aiden carrying the shopping bag into the house calmly, so I just clench my teeth tighter. And only when Aiden is hiding in the house, I fly up to Jack.

“Are you out of your mind?” I split the words as if I were cutting them with a knife. But it’s easier to control my emotions this way, otherwise they will start gushing out of me.

“What are you talking about?” Jack is genuinely surprised.

“About the time and about the fact that you were hanging around hell knows where with my younger brother, who barely said a word for the first time in the whole week!”

“I told you that we would go to the city. Then we went to a bar...”

“What?! What bar?! Did you also get him drunk?”

“Calm down, mommy! We did not drink! He said he wanted spicy buffalo wings, so we went to a bar. Then I offered to go to watch a movie, he agreed, we watched the movie, then we went to a diner. I thought that it would be good for him to chill out, so he would not climb back into his shell again.”

I stop short. Jack is right. Again I feel a little offended that I was out of this game. But I chase this feeling away quickly.

“Okay… thanks, I guess,” I say apologetically.

Jack smiles broadly, starts the car and drives away. I go back to the house. Aiden sleeps on his stomach, without undressing. I go over to cover him with a blanket, but then I think it's too hot, so I put the blanket next to him. And then I notice a green spot on his T-shirt and several blades of grass in his hairs.

2