Christmas Special Episode
7 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aiden's POV

We often had snow around Christmas, but there's no hint of winter in Pasadena. I think about it while we decorate the tree at my aunt's house.

"I'd like to see Santa riding a sleigh in this weather. And in his coat," laughs Brent.

"Santa's sleigh is flying," I grin.

"Good point," Brent grins.

I missed him. I spend most of my time at Jack's. I don't know if Brent is happy to have the room to himself or feels lonely. So I decided to make it up to my brother and spend at least Christmas at home though Jack offered to dress up in ugly Christmas sweaters and hit the bar.

"Very tempting," I said, smiling. "But I don't even have an ugly Christmas sweater. And I'm still underage to drink!"

And we left the topic at that.

While Brent and I are finishing with the decorations, auntie is bustling in the kitchen, making dinner. We both head to help her when comes the knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Brent says. I nod at him and proceed to the kitchen.

"All set?" Auntie is beaming at me.

"Yes!" I say, matching her expression. I do love her. She is so kind and caring. If anything, I'd rather be her son than... oh, I better stop right here before I go down and lose all my good mood for nothing.

"Hello, auntie!" Jack comes into the kitchen along with Brent. She smiles at him, "Oh my boy! Come in! Come in! The dinner is almost ready!"

Jack comes closer and places a chaste kiss on my forehead, whispering something sweet in my ear. Another thing I love about my auntie ?? she's ok with me being gay. Not that... she is very supportive. And she likes Jack (well, who doesn't?!). But I was absolutely terrified when she saw us for the first time. I was stuttering and stammering, trying to make excuses, ready to faint. A thousand ugly scenes flashed through my mind, but my auntie was more surprised by my reaction. It took an hour for her and Jack to drive me out of shock. And a lot of camomile tea.

She and Jack got along so well that I'm even jealous at times! But I'm happy that I can express myself naturally and comfortably, not afraid of being judged or, worse, hated.

"You didn't tell me you'd come," I smile, hugging Jack.

"I'm all for surprises, you know," Jack jokes and kisses me again. I'm still quite cautious about our PDA, but neither Brent nor auntie looks displeased by our affection toward each other. Brent once told me that he is very happy for me. Now he feels that I'm safe and in a good state of mind. And he's right about that. Never in my life had I pictured my future so bright.

As we sit down to dinner, auntie says a prayer, and we get to eat.

"So what are your plans for the holidays?" asks auntie. Brent and I exchange glances. We didn't make any plans. I thought we'd just got to spend some time together and rest.

"I was going to visit my father," Jack answers first. "And I was wondering if Brent and Aiden would like to keep me company," he grins, looking at me and Brent.

"You serious?" asks Brent.

"Why not?" Jack replies. "I think dad gets lonely at times like this. Last time neither Lora nor I could make it. So I was hoping this time we can come and throw a party..."

"Your dad never struck me as a party animal," Brent chuckles.

"My dad was a party legend in college!" Jack objects with false indignation.

"Ok, ok!" Brent recedes. "But are you sure he'll be ok with us coming?"

"Look, despite the way you met, he always respected your hard work. And he asks about you every time I call. So yeah, I think he'll be happy to see you both," Jack turns to me. "What do you say? Do you want to come?"

I hesitate. The Phelps' farm is a place of all kinds of memories - good and bad, painful and incredibly happy ones. Would I want to revisit them?

I know for sure I don't want to come back home, to our parents. And Orson Phelps, though strict and quite reticent, never seemed hostile.

"I don't mind," I say at last.

"Really?" Brent is surprised. "You never said you missed the place."

I grin bashfully at my brother's questioning look.

"Ok, I don't mind either," he says, turning to Jack.

"What about you, auntie?" Jack suddenly asks her. "My dad is quite a gentleman."

Auntie laughs good-heartily, "I have no doubt, looking at you! Thank you for the invitation. But I already have plans," she smiles charmingly. "But I hope you'll have a great time."

"That I can guarantee!" Jack asserts. "That! And a lot of snow!"

...

Jack wasn't lying... I don't think I've seen so much snow... We make our way to the house, and it looks so different from the one I remember leaving. Everything was green at that time.

Jack knocks on the door, and as soon as it opens, Jack starts to shout, "Surprise!" But the end of it sounds muffled because Laura is standing on the threshold and looking at us.

"You said you wouldn't come!" exclaims Jack.

Laura raises an eyebrow and tilts her head, "So you came to play a good son?" she sounds sarcastic.

"I am a good son!" Jack declares. And before this skirmish continues, Brent peeks from behind Jack's shoulder, "Hey! Can you talk about it inside? It's kinda cold here."

At the sight of Brent, Laura retreats, taken aback. And we all come inside the house - warm, cozy, and smelling like Christmas with fir, mulled wine, and a delicious meal.

"Hey, Laura. I'm glad to see you," I smile at her. She returns a smile and then glances at Jack. Didn't he tell her about us?

Mr. Phelps comes into the house, bringing along cool air and crispy snow. He looks around at sudden guests, and crinkles multiply around his eyes. A kind smile touches his thin and usually tightened lips when he hugs Jack.

"Glad to see you!" he shakes Brent's hand and then mine. By the twinkles in his eyes, I can say that he's sincere.

My worries melt at the heat of a merrily crackling fire in the fireplace in the living room. Jack shows Brent the room where he'll be spending the night and leaves him to change. Then Jack comes down and leads me to his room at the end of the hall.

I look around curiously - I've never been here. The room is simple - bed, table, and wardrobe. And a lot of old car magazines.

Having come back to the kitchen, Jack and I see Laura laughing at something with Brent. Jack winks at me with a knowing smile, but I don't quite catch what he's implying.

I try to make myself helpful in any way I can - setting the table, mixing the dressing for the salad, and chopping vegetables. When everything is done, and we all sit at the table, it looks like a feast and makes my mouth water.

Without further ado, we fill our plates, exchange pleasantries, and finally start to eat.

"My little sister has outdone herself," Jack compliments Laura, smacking his lips. And she shoots him a toothy grin.

"It's delicious," seconds Brent. "Our every meal was delicious while we were here."

Laura smiles again, but it's different now. And Jack sends me another peculiar smile. Is he trying to say that Laura and Brent like each other?..

I smile at the thought. I wish my brother all the happiness in the world, but I never pictured him with someone. He had a girlfriend back in high school, but it was over before the prom. I remember it because Brent was so upset, he didn't even go to the prom. He stayed in his room alone.

So I'd be very happy for Brent if he could feel the way I feel when I'm with Jack. And if it happens with Laura, it'll be great. We'll become one big family. I'd like that.

Thoughts drive me away for a bit, and music draws me back into reality. Mr. Phelps put on a record. And looking at Jack's and Laura's faces, I know this song means something.

"It was mom's favorite," Jack whispers, leaning into my ear. Laura offers her dad to dance, and he agrees though reluctantly. Or maybe he's embarrassed because of me and Brent watching this. But still, Laura manages to drag him to the center of the room, and they sway to the melody.

Having decided not to meddle in such a family moment, I gesture for Brent to walk outside with me. Brent nods and follows me to the hall.

"I need your help with something," I say in a hushed voice, though I doubt someone could hear me.

"Ok," Brent says, and we walk into Jack's room. I take out my bag and quickly rummage in it.

"So," I say, getting nervous for some reason. "Forget that you're my brother for a second and tell me what you think."

Brent furrows and looks at the folder I offer him.

"Should I be worried?" he asks, dumbfounded, and opens the folder.

"I just can't choose! I thought I was happy with my choice, but now the whole thing seems like a stupid and... and tacky idea!" I look at my brother while he silently flips through the papers. "How would you feel if you get something like that?" I ask nervously, unable to endure his silence anymore.

"Why are you so worried?" Brent muses. "I'm sure Jack will be happy with whatever present you give him. Especially with something made by your hand."

"Brent, I don't want to play the lover card, ok? I want to know if it is a good present for real?!"

Brent smiles, "Ok, ok. They all are good. But if I must choose, I'd pick this one." He points at the drawing with Jack sleeping. It's a watercolor. I still remember the way the morning sun was glimmering on his eyelashes and stroked a warm golden strip on his skin while I tried to catch this moment on paper, hoping I could at least transfer a glimpse of the beauty I see and feel. Maybe I should have just taken a picture.

"Are you sure?" I ask, hesitating.

"You asked for my opinion," Brent grins.

"It isn't creepy, is it?"

Brent laughs, "Aiden, come on! I'm sure he'll love it!"

"Ok," I agree, still unsure. "I want to put it into a frame."

I come back to the bag and take out a frame, but at this moment door swings open. A thud and shatter of glass follow. Startled, I dropped the frame, and it broke. I sink to the floor to pick up the shards.

"Aiden, don't do it with your bare hands!" Jack exclaims and rushes forward. Brent closes the folder and puts it on the bed. I see the glance he gives to Jack before leaving the room.

And honestly, I want to cry because I'm so clumsy and couldn't have even properly prepared a present for the man I love...

"I'm sorry. I will clean this up..." I say, not looking up at Jack.

"Aiden, what's wrong?" Jack crouches so his face is level with mine. He takes me by the chin and lifts my head.

"I just..." I close my eyes. I'm a bit over dramatic, but I'm upset. It's our first Christmas together, and I wanted Jack to have good memories of it. Not my teary eyes. "I wanted to get you a present... and... well, failed," I try to smile, but it upsets me further, so I purse my lips instead.

Jack's eyes are kind. He strokes my cheek and takes me by the hand as he straightens up, pulling me along. He sits me on the bed and, before sitting down next to me, he points at the folder and asks, "May I?"

I shrug and nod. Jack looks at every drawing and every watercolor I've made. These are the moments I collected since we were together. They inspired me to take the charcoal or brush and catch the feeling in black or colored lines. This is my love in my art. And now Jack, the main hero of these pictures, is looking at them, carefully turning pages.

"It's all me..." Jack says somehow amazed.

"Yeah..." I utter. "Do you think I'm crazy?.."

Jack looks up at me. His gaze is serious, but I see a smile on his lips.

"Crazy talented? Crazy in love?" he probes, smiling.

"Quit teasing me!" I plead. "I'm serious..."

"You wanted to give me this?" he asks calmly.

"One of those..."

"Why not all of them?"

I stare at him and don't know how to answer. Why indeed...

"Because it's too much?.." I squeeze out.

"Too much?" Jack presses on but, seeing how uncomfortable I am, he says, "It's not too much. I've never thought someone would see me as you do..."

My cheeks flushed at this, and the air is stuck in my throat.

"So... if you don't mind, I want to have them all," Jack says, leaning into my face. I finally make eye contact with him. "I've never seen you drawing me, but I'm glad you did," he smiles and kisses me. I'm fighting back the remnants of my shame, solemnly swearing to myself that next time, my present will make Jack drop his jaw!

"Actually," says Jack when our lips part. "I have a present for you too."

I'm wavering and getting agitated again. I was swayed by Jack so many times already, yet he always manages to surprise me!

Jack pulls a package from under the bed and gives it to me. The inner trembling spreads throughout my body to my fingers and my voice.

"Can I open it now?" I ask, blushing.

"Of course, you can!"

With unruly fingers, I rip the paper and see...

"It's..."

"...an ugly Christmas sweater!" Jack finishes for me with a wide smile. My eyes are suddenly full of tears. Jack, seeing my reaction, is bewildered by it. So he mutters as if trying to justify himself. "You said you don't have one. My mom used to knit them for us almost every year until she got sick..." Jack smiles a bit sadly. "So every member of the Phelps family has one of those," he grins. "Do you like it?"

"I love it," I whisper, blinking away my tears and feeling prickling in my nose. "I want to put it on."

"Go ahead," says Jack softly.

"So?" I ask after a moment and smile at Jack. There are still some tears in my eyes. But I'm genuinely happy. "How do I look?"

"No sweater can hide your beauty," he says, smiling tenderly. I was about to return a smile when Jack thumbs away tears from my cheeks and hugs me tightly.

"My mom would've loved you... she'd have knitted you a lot of sweaters, I know it," he whispers into my ear. And I think it's okay to cry, hearing such words. Because despite the tears, I feel nothing but happiness and love.

2