Chapter 14: Polemarch
249 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
We are officially caught up on advance chapters. They'll be coming to SH as new chapters are finished from here.

I already knew that the home country was keeping a close eye on us. Amelie had accurately identified that several of their men were scouting the area and reporting back to the King. I was expecting my previous actions against her brother to come back and bite me at any time, mainly in the form of an armed force of soldiers booting down the metaphysical gates and taking over.

That didn’t happen, but what did happen was more worrying in some sense - because it was completely contrary to what I had characterized the neighboring Kingdom as. While I was taking a moment to relax in the town’s park, a complete stranger with a leather bag approached me.

“Letter for Mayor Blackwood?” he croaked.

My brow thoroughly quirked, I reached out and accepted the bound and sealed letter. 

“It’s an important communication from Duke Polemarch, I suggest you study its contents carefully.”

Without any further explanation, he turned and left down the main road out of the town. Not feeling the energy to chase him down and demand answers, I peeled the wax seal off the parchment and unfurled it. That waning energy filled my body involuntarily as I consumed what was inside with my remaining eye. Duke Polemarch was coming here. And not only that, but he was going to arrive that same day.

I ran back to the office and cleaned the place up a little. The fact that they told me in advance assuaged some of my concern that it was an invasion force in response to previous events in the town. Amelie had told me a little about our closest neighbor before. Duke Polemarch of the Black Cove, allegedly an intelligent and results oriented man, with little time for noble politics.

We stood by the main entrance to the residential area and awaited his arrival. I was silently thankful that we hadn’t built a clock tower, because contextualizing the wait would make it feel even longer than it already was.

Polemarch arrived a few hours later with a small quartet of personal guards. We saw his caravan crest the hill that ran through the front edge of the agricultural area. A horse drawn cart decorated in a royal blue, and matching guardsmen with tabards of gilded thread. The cart trundled to a halt and the door opened, a mountainous man stepping forth into the chilly air. With a big, furry collar, large beard and several layers piled on top of each other, he looked even larger than he truthfully was underneath.

They remained close to his side as they approached me and a gathered crowd of concerned townspeople. Polemarch was taken aback by the quality of the roads, and the presence of working sewers. It was like they’d lifted a portion of the noble sector from the capitol and relocated it to the middle of nowhere.

He studied me for a moment before speaking with a booming sledgehammer of a voice, “It seems that you aren’t lacking for ambition. My name is Duke Polemarch, and I am here on behalf of the King of Lunarmar.”

I bowed my head politely, “Shane Blackwood.”

I gave him a tense smile and motioned to the front door of the town hall. He wasn’t going to speak on these pressing matters in public.

I brought him into the office, asking the guards to stand outside while we spoke in private. He took a moment to study the intricate paper maps, plans and documents covering every wall, table and surface. Even after my last-minute housekeeping it was a total mess. He took the guest seat in front of my desk, while I sat behind it. 

“Interesting. You seem to have a good handle on things, even though I cannot for the life of me understand this odd language you’ve adopted.”

“I was educated in another Kingdom,” I excused myself, “It is very good for operational security.”

“Then perhaps you could train some of our military officers in it, not a day goes by without a spy stealing important information from them. I have a question; how did you come to be chosen as the Count?”

“Mayor.”

“Mayor?”

“I’m not really a count, am I? I’m just in charge of a tiny village.”

“But this place has potential. And anyone who is in command of it is the Count. That is the lowest level of authority we have.”

I shrugged, “We had a vote. I won.”

“I’ve heard of some places that operate under such rules, does it not result in undesirable people taking important positions?”

In a sense he was right. But were nobles any better? Unelected families ruling over territory became old hat on Earth for a reason. People would rather have a corrupt moron that they voted for than a corrupt moron who was assigned based on who his father was. “I’m the only one directing people here. I’m not going to draw conclusions based on a sample size of one.”

That satisfied him for the time being, “Do you know why I’m here?”

“I’m certainly under no illusions about what this meeting regards,” I replied, “the last guest we received was transparent with his intentions, if only accidentally.”

He didn’t object to my characterisation, “Aye. Frank Lomarac is a blunt instrument. Incapable and unwilling to think matters through before drawing swords and daggers. I’ve been sent to resolve the situation in my own way.”

“But that solution ultimately lies with the people who live here. They’ve already been betrayed by the Kingdom once – what’s to say that you can command their loyalty again?”

“I always regarded the persecution of the Laddites as a miscalculation. They are the third largest religious body in the Kingdom. This ongoing effort to confiscate their property, land and businesses has sent many cities and towns into economic turmoil. Unfortunately, the King doesn’t have the political force to prevent the Church of Azel from doing so.”

“Words are cold comfort for a lot of these people.”

“Which is why I was summoned by him to resolve the situation. He understands that I am a reasonable and talented negotiator. I asked him to extend a generous offer of integration to this community, one that I hope you’ll find agreeable.”

“I need to hear your terms first.”

“Given my predecessor's profound failure to assure your loyalty through an arranged marriage, I forwarded a simpler solution. You will remain in place as the Count of this area, you will continue to retain a similar level of independence as before – especially if I am given dominion as this area’s Duke. I have a strong interest in ensuring that this location is developed quickly.”

“And the downsides.”

He clasped his hands together, “That’s the big question, isn’t it? Tax money is the foremost thing on the King’s mind.”

“We don’t have much money to give,” I responded.

“Of course. This place is still in an infantile state. It’s essential that we apply a light touch. I am willing to offer you an under-the-table bonus that he isn’t aware of. If you agree, I will take on this year’s tax burden for you. A small village such as this will be a small cost to our treasury. And I will assist you in establishing trade links between here and my own City in the Black Cove.”

He wasn’t doing that out of the kindness of his heart, “You’re trying to win us over.”

“That I am. It’s only natural during a negotiation that we offer something to you. I hope that you’ll see me as the best choice for this town’s future. Should it come down to a decision in the court about who the Duke shall be… I’d like to rely on your support as it’s Count.”

“And what kind of authority would that lend me?”

“I’m sure the nobles will grumble about it,” he smirked, “There isn’t much they can do about it. The Count may be the lowest level of authority in the Kingdom, but they have the final say on what happens in their territory, if they have the agreement of the Duke above them. You seem to be the right man for the job. I’d be happy to keep you on a ‘long leash’ so to speak.”

“Is that so?”

“Lunarmar won’t attack you, I’ll help you build this place into a bustling trade port, and… call it cynical if you will, but the Laddite population will presumably come here in search of a more welcoming home.”

My mind strayed, “I need to build a chapel.”

“Before you do! All of this will need to be ratified at the capitol, and presented before the court. It shall be a fine evening of entertainment…”

I wasn’t going to agree to such a thing right away. I stood from my seat, “I’ll consider your offer. My primary concern is the security of the people living here.”

Polemarch tried to put the screws to me, “This area is a perfect location for a trading outpost. Lunarmar won’t be the only Kingdom with their eyes on it.”

What I was really worried about was how the people who elected me would react. They’d come here on the promise of keeping away from the people who had persecuted them. I couldn’t make this decision without consulting them first. I escorted him back through the building and out into the square. Some of the townspeople had already started to transform it into a small park for everyone to use.

“You know I can’t give you an answer just like that.”

Polemarch smiled glibly, “I understand. I can’t help but notice that lovely dock you’ve constructed, is it ready to use?”

I nodded hesitantly, “Yes. I believe so.”

“Then allow me to test it out for you. I’ll return in two days to hear your answer; the King gave me a rather short time to present results. Forgive me. I will see you again, ‘mayor.’”

Polemarch stomped back to his carriage and was away like a whirlwind. I could feel the weight of the world suddenly bearing down on my shoulders. This was a decision that would steer the future of this town and the people who lived in it. The crowd was upon me before I knew it, asking me just what was happening now. I could tell that they were worried.

“It's those damn Lunarmarians again, isn’t it?”

“We are Lunarmarians, idiot.”

I held up my hands to try and quiet down the crowd, “Everyone, can I have your attention for a moment please. The Kingdom has come back to us with a much… more generous offer than the previous one. They don’t have the soldiers to come storming down here and destroying this town. Though it does mean we’ll have to pay taxes to the nearest Duke.”

There was a murmur of discontent.

“I wouldn’t make such a sudden change without consulting all of you first. First, I want to organize a group of people to forward concerns and work with people to implement new policies.” I pointed to the list posted on the message board out front of the town hall. “I’m calling a meeting tonight. Anyone who wants to have their say, please drop by again at eight.”

I listened as they dispersed to their homes. One of the older women from the group spoke her thoughts aloud, “I want to think that there’s still a place for me in Lunarmar. I was born there, and I wanted to die there.”

“But they’re just going to do it all over again, right as we’re settling in!”

“I’m not so sure about this.”

“We better make sure we’re ready to leave quickly…”

I was in a tough spot. I needed their confidence to make this work, but I knew that there was little prospect of us remaining untouched with Lunarmar looking to protect their trade from enemies and pirates. I felt a hand on my shoulder. Amelie had been hiding behind me the whole time. She had changed back into the lavish red dress I associated with her, instead of her dirty foreman clothes.

“Duke Polemarch dropped by and you didn’t immediately come running for me?”

“He wasn’t here for long. He wants me to go to the capitol to ratify this place’s membership of the Kingdom. I can stay in charge, but after a year we’ll be paying taxes and presumably hosting soldiers.”

“But for how long?” Amelie said, cutting to the heart of the problem. “While I wouldn’t object to your continued leadership, the nobles in the capitol may have… different opinions. The appointment of a commoner to a county would threaten the very basis of their authority.”

“And the King?”

“He may be willing to relent if it solves his problems quickly. The nobles follow his word – he can take the hit. I think it’ll be interesting. They feel very secure in their position at the moment thanks to the war.”

I didn’t care for what was interesting – my main job was to make sure that the town was safe and growing. If Duke Polemarch could curry the King’s favor and have me appointed officially, that would solve at least one of my problems, and probably spawn several more as a consequence. I’d seen enough TV series and stories to know that nobles were a bloodthirsty and conniving lot. I’d have a target painted on my back.

It was down to what the townspeople thought in the end.

“If I do go, I’d like for you to accompany me,” I asked. She seemed shocked by the request.

“Me?”

“You know the nobles better than I do. And I have to say my etiquette may not be up to scratch if we’re seeing the King.”

“I will but the King… doesn’t really care that much for etiquette. He’s odd. When did he say the deadline was?”

“Two days. He’ll be coming by boat, so I hope the dock’s finished.”

“We’ll have it complete by then, even in its current state it can be used pretty easily.”

“The meeting’s in a few hours. I hope you’ll be there.”

“I will, Mister Mayor. Don’t go running away now.”

Fat chance.

PATREON | TWITTER

Support my patreon for 3$ a month to see five chapters early before public release!

17