Chapter Three: Breaking the Law
1.1k 0 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Three:

Breaking the Law

Let's get real, even in very unlikely case that I do try to get into the palace I would still need supplies. Supplies I couldn't get in Himalpoint. Just imagine what a bat would think when it saw me carrying a giant clanking ladder through the entire city. I'm sure it would be struck entirely speechless right up to the point it would inevitably try to eat me. I'd need something like a heavy grapple hook, and I'd have to go to Truring for that.

I suppose I should go there regardless, get some supplies. A nice sturdy bag, something to use as padding to keep that can reduce the noise of things knocking together, a nice long grapple hook, some sort of wheelbarrow or cart to push things up the corridor. Goodness knows I don't want to carry it all in a sack that long distance.

It truly is a shame, but any way I look at it I'll have to make the trip to Truring. For now, I'll just take one of these gold bricks and be on my way, I need money to get all these supplies.

Traveling proves a bit awkward with a heavy chunk of gold in one and and a very sharp sword in the other, but I manage to move silently back to the guard house. How do I know which direction that is after spending hours wandering around the city? I'll have you know that I'm very good at mentally mapping my surroundings, thank you very much. I've spent all my life earning money from trapping, and you have to have a good sense of direction to remember where you lay everything out. Well, all my life after the pox swept through Himalpoint. But that was then, and this is now. I am a trapper no longer. Call me the great adventurer Nathaniel, bound for fame and fortune.

Or maybe just fortune, but I'm sure you can buy fame for the right price. That's what rich people do right?

Anyway, with my great stealth I make it back without issue. My newly acquired gold fits snugly in my pack, but I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to the weapons I found. The bows are a no go. I can't use them, and they would be awkward to carry along with everything else. Three swords should be manageable I suppose.

By the time I found my way back home, the sun was low in the sky and my arms hurt from exertion. Look, carrying that many swords for hours is tough work, okay?

I didn't really end up using any of the supplies in my pack today, which is fine. It basically just saves time for when I leave for Truring tomorrow. Really the only preparing I needed to do was wrap the swords in cloth and toss them in a sack. It feels a bit discourteous to such beautiful weapons, but there is no way I'm going around with them on full display.

The trip to Truring only took a few days, but one growing concern in my mind was exactly how I was going to sell all this stuff. The more I thought on it, the more I arrived at one conclusion. There is no way I can do this legally.

Anyone is going to think some random peasant like me would have stolen the gold somehow. That isn't to mention if I tried to sell the swords I would be put in jail, the swords would be confiscated, and I'd stay locked up until I confessed where I got them.

Anything magic, including magic users, are shipped down south for the war. There is no way I can sell them legally. So, here's the question, how does one find a person willing to buy illegally?

Birds of a feather flock together, so it is said. So, if we want to do something illegal, we should look for some criminals. I foresee nothing going wrong with this plan. Yeah, right. Option two, someone who sells questionable things. A pawn shop doesn't have the currency, but they might have connections. Those connections are likely criminal, so we are back to square one.

“Good morning, sir. How may I help you today?” asks a receptionist in front of the slave markets. He has a practiced smile on his face that even reaches his eyes. Damn he is a good actor. I'm sure I look like some penniless hermit to this man, and he doesn't even bat an eye.

“I'm actually looking to purchase a slave, someone strong and able bodied.” I say, trying to sound as professional and confident as possible. I need to make them treat me seriously.

I have no intention of buying a slave, of course. I'm looking for someone morally bankrupt, fiscally loaded, and appears legally on the level. A slave trader fills all those boxes, to my mind at least. While generally considered distasteful, slave trade is legal and extremely lucrative from what I've heard.

“Certainly sir, I can pair you with one of our masters right away. To start, what is your desired price range?” he replies, not missing a beat.

Let's shake things up a bit. I pull the gold brick from my pack and set it on the desk. Even as gently as I place it down, it stills lets a deep thunk as it connects with the counter. It isn't coin, but it does get my point across well.

“It looks like Master James Matheus is currently available to display is available stock.” he replies after consulting some notes. I never want to play cards with this man, he is unflappable.

James Matheus, on the other hand, was not. With a single glance he silently disregarded me and spoke to my guide. They shared a few hushed words, and then I was alone with Matheus. He stood up to greet me proper and I fought to remain level-headed. The man was massive. I don't mean in a corpulent way. I am short by no means, but this man made me feel small. His broad frame was complimented by a well-tailored suit and a well kempt beard.

“Good day to you! I hear you are interested in some of our stock, would you like a look around the gallery or perhaps I may provide some recommendations?” he says in a strong baritone voice.

How can a man be so intimidating? I expected some sleazy fat cat, not some pillar of gentlemanly masculinity. This suddenly feels like a very bad idea. No, I can't back out I steel myself and try to keep my voice level.

“I have to admit, I came here not to buy but to sell.” I pull out a sword and begin to unwrap it.

Matheus mouth turns down to the barest hint of a frown but remains quiet. The cloth pulls free, the black sword revealed with silver lines artfully traced upon it. I offer it up hilt first. He pauses after gripping it, then pulls the blade from the sheath.

“I've recently come into possession of some various items that would be of great interest to certain parties. Parties one such as yourself might be acquainted with.” I manage to say evenly.

He sheathes the sword and lays it on his desk. Sitting down, he lights a cigar. “How much of these various items have come into your possession?”

“That depends on the item, though I think you'll find most to your fancy in some fashion. However, I am looking for a long-time trader partner.” Internally I am sweating bullets as he casually smokes his cigar. Calm down, it's a power move. He's posturing, trying to assert some stupid male dominance. Finally, he fixes his gaze on me.

“Let's do business.”

This interaction was not included in the original version, but I wanted to add some immersion. I don't like including the whole slavery aspect since doing business with a slaver only gives them more money to enslave more people, but our MC is a pretty selfish guy at this point. He has a lot of growing up to do. I think I should be able to wrap up this introductory arc in the next few chapters, then we can get to the real fun.  We can look as he changes in both character and gender. Thanks for sticking around so far.

30