Chapter Five: Risks, Rewards, and Rending
857 5 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Five:

Risks, Rewards, and Rending

Entering the palace proper proved quite easy in actuality. There was an unassuming door that was unlocked and led directly to what I assume were the servants' quarters. That seems... odd. The whole palace was likely well-guarded back when it was lived in, but there was a notably unlocked lock to the door.

Laying aside worrying gaps in security, the interior was dimly lit by silver sconces topped with well-cut gems radiating a soft white light as compared to the purple found in the city. It served as a reprieve from the onyx walls and trim, though the floor itself was made of a smooth stone that was marbled darkly. Dozens of rooms lined the hallway, modestly decorated and simply furnished.

Enchanted clothes that ignored whatever passage of time remained inside their wardrobes, made in a style that catered to a more feminine physique. They also leaned more to the alluring side than the practical I'd expected. I couldn't find anything resembling male clothing, so either there was a separate male exclusive quarter or perhaps the emperor was a bit of a perverted chauvinist. Or both possibly.

I'm trying to stay calm, but there is a trend that is quite disturbing. Every room was in disarray. Beds left unmade, cabinets left open, clothes strewn about. No skeletal remains, unlike the city outside. Whoever lived here left and did so in a hurry. Every one of them.

A sense of dread and a sense of a massive bat-dragon outside drove me to hasten a bit. I passed through the entire first floor as quickly and quietly as I could. There was little of value in a practical sense. I'm sure the ballroom chandelier would fetch a good price but getting it down and out of the city did seem like a tall task. There was also a large statue in the entrance hall that I thought at first was made of silver, but it was too white and shone softly. I didn't risk approaching it as a very large monster was sleeping on the other side of the door, but it was a distinctly feminine figure with long, pointed ears.

Elves! But they lived in the forests, right? Elves don't live in caves; I feel a bit cheated. Leave that business to the dwarves. The proper elves live up in the forests north of the Empire, though the mountains block passage this far east. What was their country called? Astofel? Edruniel? Pretty sure it ended in an -el.

Leaving that aside, I am more than ready to move further away from the big scary bat. It looks like anything of worth will be on the in the spire of the palace. At the heart of the palace is a large spiral staircase with various landing. The center of the spire has that silent humming feeling I've associated with magic. Brushing the dust from the floor reveals several circles filled with various runes and symbols.

Sweating a little, I make it to the second-floor landing which has similar circles at the center. Don't tell me these smug cave elves used magic to somehow move from floor to floor. Of course, the royalty wouldn't want to climb a ton of stairs like some kind of peasant. Damn I wish I was a mage. Whatever, I would be hauled down south if that were the case. My legs are cramping at the thought of climbing all the way to the top.

The second floor of the spire opens up to a sea of bookcases. I've never seen so many books in my life. I dust off a few to find that they are preserved by whatever enchantment the whole civilization seems obsessed with, though a book here or there apparently wasn't considered valuable enough and had begun to rot with age.

I thumb through a few books out of curiosity, and partially because it just feels like the right thing to do. Alright, a large part of it is giving my legs some time to rest. I can't read and even if I could I'm sure everything is in elvish. The penmanship is pretty though.

Another strenuous climb later leads me to a rather odd assortment of rooms. A faint whirring noise leaks out from behind one door. Cautiously opening it reveals a large number of... devices of one sort or another, some of them still slowly ticking away. In a place of prominence stands a metallic figure, it bears a strikingly similar form to an elf (including what appears to be decorative long ears) except for the headache inducing complexity of gears inside its structure. It remains completely still, but I flee the room regardless. I don't care how valuable any of that stuff is; the creepy factor doesn't make it worth exploring.

One room houses various books and parchments covered with runes and symbols, all surrounded by rather messy handwriting. None of it is something I can use or seems valuable at the moment, so I move to the next room. Simply opening its door by a fraction released a powerful magic feeling. I peak inside to find it filled with stones, gems, weapons, and other objects. All enchanted, and more powerfully than anything I've yet come across.

Risk and reward. This is the treasure trove. I pulled a sword a few inches from its scabbard and the blade's edge ignited in fire. Licking my lips, I take in the rest of the room. There are more enchanted gems and tools than actual weaponry, but if I figure out what they do I'm sure they'll sell for a fortune. They'll also be easier to sneak out than a stack of swords.

I'm beginning to see the pattern. The first room was some sort of tinkerer's area, the second magic study, and now enchanting. To have a personal study in the palace spire means that these must be the masters of their field.

And there's still one room.

It's quiet. There's no thrumming of magic. A sent that is neither pleasant nor foul gently lingers, barely detectable. A portion of the room is dedicated to neatly organized materials cases of preserved plants and fungi along with crushed powders and various minerals. To another side, a cabinet full of carefully secured vials full of liquid sits by a bookcase. The room is dominated by a worktable holding a confusing set of glass shapes and beakers.

It's all so... orderly. Deliberate. Only one part is out of place. On a desk lies a small book and a small crystal vial filled with an inky black substance. I open the book. It seems to be a journal, though I can't be sure. As for the vial-

Power.

Pulling my hand back sharply, I break into a sweat. I don't know what's going on. There aren't enough pieces for me to put it together. A nation dead, the palace fled. In a room so ordered, a single elixir and journal left out. And that elixir, that feeling. Deliberate.

It's like someone is quietly shouting to whoever discovered this room: this here is important.

Ignoring the sensation, I stow the vial and notebook in my pack.

Quietly returning to the room of enchantments, I stuff a healthy number in my pack. Something happened here, but I can't let that stop me. Not when I've gone through so much risk. A knife catches my eye. Easier to carry than a sword. It doesn't have a flame enchantment, but I can feel the magic power in it and having something less flashy for my personal use is better immediately.

The next floor seems reserved for nobility of some sorts with the final floor is just one large room that speaks of excess and extravagance. These must be the royal chambers. It looks like even the head of the country couldn't flee with all her belongings. I assume her, the remaining clothes give off a feminine feel and leave very little to the imagination. Is this just bed wear or is she some kind of exhibitionist? The largest find is fine jewelry, but the real treasure in this palace lay two floors down. Didn't keep me from pocketing some.

Descending was mercifully easier than climbing, though I was more significantly burdened. Not that I minded. Honestly, I'm ready to call this trip over. I need time to think on everything. And look at all my spoils.

 

The earth upheaved, the palace shook, the world quaked. Every soul did witness.

The Rending of Lethe.

 

In a hidden city tucked far underground, an earsplitting shriek answered.

I've been playing too much Holocure, please send help. Sorry for taking as long with this as I did. I feel like I should slowly start increasing my chapter lengths, but I usually just marathon a chapter in one sitting. Not really appropriate behavior if I want to improve as an author. Work's going to be busy for a few weeks, but I'll see what I can do about getting out a chapter soon.

32