Chapter 14 – Watching My Maid Clean… More
396 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time to resume my commentary.

After watching Nola wash the dishes, she then proceeds to the pool.

Ah yes, the swamp.

I wouldn't be surprised if creatures like ogres started living there.

Using a took that looks like a giant elongated butterfly net, she used it to slowly scoop away the algae from the water.

I sat down on one of those long benches that you normally see beside outdoor pools, putting and resting my feet on it.

Nola continued to insist that she doesn't need my help, so I continued to watch her work instead.

This pool was not as big as an Olympic-sized pool, but not so small as kiddie ones. It was your standard, average indoor pool that was similar in size and depth to local clubhouses.

It had varying depths, ranging from one foot until six feet deep. I specifically told this to an architect who helped design the Enatsu Mansion, but when I took a dip for the first time, I immediately discovered a huge problem.

I can't swim.

I've never tried swimming before.

Of course, I was fully aware of the fact that I do not know how to swim, but please, before you call me a blithering idiot, once again, hear me out.

I was lame, and due to that, I spent the majority of my time watching television. It just so happened that the Olympics were on, and that was where I learned how to swim.

And by learning I just watched them move their arms and legs around.

All I thought I needed to do was simply move my arms around and my legs rapidly to stay afloat, but that didn't happen when I passed the four feet mark.

I sank to the bottom like a stone.

"...?!?!"

I honestly would've drowned if I quickly hadn't cast [Rapid Evaporation], an advanced spell that basically evaporates liquid, turning it into a gaseous form. In this case, the water turns into water vapor.

The amount of water disappearing depends on the amount of mana that was used to cast it., but since mana supply isn't a primary issue for me, all the pool's water was gone in an instant.

I landed hard on the tiled floor, butt-first.

"Ahh!! Owie!!!"

It huuuuuuuuurts!!!

I spent a good fifteen minutes rolling around on the floor, while it took me an hour to finally stand up and walk.

Ugh...

My butt stills suffer from PTSD every time I recalled that horrendous event.

But, despite this, I've made it my life's mission ever since to finally be able to conquer the waters and finally conquer the six-foot zone in my pool.

It was just that nobody bothered to teach me how to swim, and so the swimming pool went untouched for decades.

I should get someone to teach me sometime.

"Can you swim, Nola?" I asked her.

"Unfortunately not, master."

So Nola didn't know how to swim, either.

Oh well. It was worth a shot I guess.

It would've been cool if we dedicated an entire segment purely to teaching me how to swim, but it looks like that will have to wait.

Anyway.

For a few hours, I sat there finding entertainment in how Nola would clean the pool. First, she would scoop a bunch of algae using her oversized net. Then, she would put the contents in a bucket, and the process repeats. The amount of green stuff that she would get varied in.

After the algae were cleared she then started chanting a spell.

"O winds of purity, heed my chant. May the water before me be cleansed in an instant! [Purification]!"

The water glowed as soon as she finished.

[Purification] is a basic spell named after what it does. Basically, it purifies stuff. Blacksmiths use this spell very often to get rid of excess metals when they forge their items, but I mostly use it to purity liquid, turning undrinkable into drinkable. It can be used to purify expired food, like milk for instance.

Of course, just like [Rapid Evaporation], the quality of the outcome is highly proportional to the amount of mana used to continually cast the spell.

There are many ways to chant it. Chanting helps the person envision the spell they want to cast, but if you're experienced enough like me, you can simply cast it without saying a word. The chant Nola used was pretty basic, meaning that she doesn't have that much experience in magic yet.

Hmm...

Let me check something real quick.

I activated [Apprisal] and checked Nola's status.

Nolamel Rendler

Race: Human

Occupation: Maid

Level: 17

HP: 270/270

Mana: 60/180

Uh-oh.

She's already exhausted two-thirds of her mana supply.

Based on the rate of mana being cast, the quality of the spell, and the estimated amount of breaks she needed to take to replenish her stash, it would take her a minimum of a week to completely purify the pool.

But...

Her eyes seemed...

Tired.

Like she was exhausted and wanted to take a rest. She looked like one of those overworked employees back in Japan.

Hmm...

Nah... Probably just my imagination again. She's an S-Tier maid after all.

Plus, I don't think I've overworked her, did I?

But at this rate, she would just exhaust herself out.

I guess this was my time to intervene.

"Here, let me help you."

I stood up from my comfy position and cast [Purification]. Without chanting the spell, of course.

The water glowed brightly for a while.

When it subsided, the water was now crystal clear.

Wow.

I could even see the tiles at the bottom.

So that's what they looked like. It has been so long since I've seen it.

"......"

Nola was looking at me, dumbfounded.

"Impossible, even for a professional magician, purifying this amount of water would take a minimum of an hour..."

"Well... I might be a lil' bit more powerful than any normal magician..."

My introduction to her as the "most powerful witch in the world" wasn't really an exaggeration.

"So the rumors that I've heard back in the town hall that you are a powerful immortal witch is true after all, master?"

"Uhh... Yes."

Since when did the information that me being immortal started spreading around? I thought only the residents of Sirvaelin knew that.

I guess it's technically impossible to avoid rumors like this, especially when it concerns things like immortality. I shouldn't be that surprised.

I just hope that this wouldn't cause that much trouble in the future.

"It is an honor to serve a great figure such as you, master. I am grateful for you having me as your personal maid." Nola said with a bow.

"...Thanks."

I was a bit flustered. Even if she was just stating the obvious.

"If I may ask, master, what is your level?" Nola asked as we finished packing up and exited the room. "I am now aware that master's status can be easily classified as legendary, but I am simply curious as to your stats. I have never seen any magic user that could cast a spell that cost a huge amount of mana in such a short time."

Hmm...

I guess it was okay to tell her, right?

"Here, see for yourself."

I opened up my status screen and showed it to her.

Hisami Enatsu

Race: Human

Occupation: Witch

Level: 523

HP: 7,720,620/7,720,620

Mana: 10,770,690/10,772,880

"Wow..."

Wow.

Even I was astonished as to how high my stats are right now.

I was probably even stronger than those legendary dungeon bosses.

I haven't checked my status in a while though, so I was glad to see it still rising.

"Thank you for helping me there, master. You have saved me a huge amount of time."

"Don't mention it."


We went to the library room next.

The only place left to clean, if I recall correctly.

Armed with a duster and a table cloth, Nola proceeded to fervently clean the room. Once again I offered to help, but she declined it again.

"I'm sorry master. I truly am thankful for what you did earlier, but I am afraid that your participation might become a hindrance to my cleaning."

Ouch.

I was pretty hurt.

But she must've meant it in a good way.

She's the S-tier maid after all, so I should do what I was told.

The room was filled with dust and cobwebs. As Nola continued to clean, dust was rising everywhere. It looked like a sandstorm.

"Cough... Cough..."

The dust was so thick I started coughing.

Wait.

Why wasn't Nola affected by this?

"......"

Oh.

She was wearing some sort of gas mask.

......

Where did she get that?

I didn't see her put it on.

Gas masks were invented in this world as protection against monsters and creatures that use poison gas to attack. But to use it as cleaning equipment? Pretty clever.

But I didn't have one.

The dust was getting too thick for me, so decided to quit my activity of watching Nola clean and left the room.

The halls are now clean, devoid of dirt. I also checked the other rooms just in case, and they were all spotless as well. Even the storage rooms are clean, and not a single coin was left out of place.

Amazing.

Honestly, Nola deserves an award for this.

Perhaps I could take her out to dinner, my treat.

I have a lot of coins on me too, so funds weren't a problem.

Sure, why not.

After Nola finishes her errands, I'll reward her.


For the next few hours, I stayed holed up inside my room, enjoying myself.

And by that, I meant trying out the new clothes that I bought the other day.

I spent my time doing various poses in front of my body mirror.

"Damn... I look super hot..."

I went up close to it and stared at my reflection, still doing poses. My face, silver hair, big silver eyes, cute face, and the three tiny dots in the shape of an upside-down triangle were in full display. My body was slowly starting to become hot, and I was starting to sweat as well.

"Haah... Haah..."

Moving closer, I moved my lips closer to my reflection...

Until...

I...

Knock knock knock.

"--...?!"

I quickly reeled away from the mirror.

The sound of the doorknocks made my heart skip a beat.

I clenched my chest, trying to catch my breath.

The knock seriously scared the windpipes out of me.

"......Mm."

Composing myself, I went up, wiped some of my sweat off, and opened the door.

It was Nola.

"Master..." She said, panting. "I have now completed the task of cleaning the entire mansion... Everything... Is finished..."

Her words stopped there.

With one final breath, Nola suddenly collapsed on the floor.

15