Chapter 20 – Confrontation and Reconciliation
332 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thankfully, it seems that my potion brewing skills haven't dulled over the years since Nola's condition was rapidly improving. A part of the success is because the potion itself is the legendary Elixir, but it won't be fully effective if not brewed perfectly.

Her recovery was quick. The color on her face was returning, and it seems that she had less difficulty moving her limbs. At first, it seems like I've successfully pulled it off, yet she said that she was still experiencing a slight headache, so I told her to rest in my room for the morning.

She'll be better by lunchtime at the rate the healing process is going, so maybe she could at least help me with the cooing by then.

Or I help her.

Most likely the latter.

I'm still not fully confident in my cooking skills, so I'll most likely do measly tasks like chopping the vegetables or watch the broth until it boils instead.

By this time, Nola has slept on my bed for four days now; counting this morning, it would be five.

During that time, I didn't have the opportunity to change my bedsheets, so the scent of Nola was probably all over it right now.

How will I be able to sleep soundly from now on?

A change of sheets is necessary.

Although the last time that happened, things didn't turn out well...

With this many accidents occurring every time I do chores, how in the world did I manage to live by myself for decades?

Whatever. I can do that after Nola gets better.

It might be a priority, but it'll have to wait.

For now, I'll focus on the more pressing matter that has been plaguing my mind ever since last night.

Nola's actions.

"What kind of person would ever think of setting up the table while they were sick?" I thought aloud. "Then again, there's the fact that she's an S-Tier maid, but still..."

I was on my balcony again, staring at the morning view of Langle Field. The cool morning breeze was gently tickling my skin as I took another sip of my tea.

Right.

Nolamel Render.

Seeing her as an emotional wreck was surprising for someone whose first impression is being serious, obedient, and dedicated to her work. It was almost akin to witnessing a robot shed tears.

Or no.

Maybe that was the real her all along?

Now that I think about it, I barely knew anything about her, other than she used to work for the Royal Family. The capital is hundreds of miles from Sirvaelin, so I didn't see a reason why she would travel all the way here to look for work. With her resume, she can easily find job offers in restaurants or something. I'm sure some rich person would easily hire her for higher wages than what I'm paying.

Strictly speaking, I am rich, but there are probably large families out there that will benefit more from her talent. I'm just some overpowered witch who's too lazy to do her chores.

Maybe her motives for moving to this city have something to do with what was bothering her right now?

If so, then I want to help her. I want to be there for Nola, making her realize that she doesn't have to suffer alone.

Which is why.

I stood up, gathered my resolve, and went straight to my room.

"Nola?" I knocked on the door before entering. "Are you done with your breakfast?"

"Yes, master. I left the plate and utensils on top of the table." She was sitting upright, as elegant as the day I've first met her.

To think that it happened only a few days ago. Time sure flies fast when you're immortal.

"........"

Immortal.

Long-lasting, never dying.

After being alive for hundreds of years, only I would know how painfully dull it is to live in a home devoid of company for centuries. For Nola to stay here for only a few days makes me feel relieved, reminding me of those days where my comrades would visit me every so often.

My family.

My family, who emotionally helped me throughout those times when we went our separate ways, visited me every year to keep our bonds alive.

My only family in this world.

I miss them.

I miss them so much.

I miss them so much that, until this day, my heart cries out.

I desperately wanted to relieve those days again, where we would gather around the table and tell each other stories about our various adventures in life.

But, no matter how hard I wish, there was nothing I could do about it.

The past is the past, and I am living in the present.

Now that I have new members who inhabit this home, it was time to forge new relationships.

And I'll start with the maid in front of me.

I placed a chair in front of my bed and sat on it, getting a good look at her face. Despite her morning drowsiness, her face was radiant, her beauty being perfectly outlined by the sun's rays.

In turn, Nola sat up straight and faced me.

Her sparkly golden eyes met mine.

"Nola."

I was about to say something until I noticed.

"Oh. You've got something on your cheek."

It was a small crumb, right beside her lips. I was going to have a serious talk with Nola, but its existence was slightly distracting, so I crawled on top of the bed to wipe it off.

"Huh? Master, what are you - "

"Stay still. I'll get it for you."

I took my handkerchief from my pocket and inched it closer towards her lips.

A stupid thought occurred to me that I was using the very same handkerchief that was covered in my scent to touch the borders of Nola's lips. Yikes, this approach might not be such a good idea after all -

"...?!"

Then, something unexpected happened.

Two hands made contact with my shoulders, and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground butt-first.

"Ow ow ow..."

The pain in my glutes reminded me of that one time I cleaned the pool, but unlike then, this was bearable. This wasn't a six-foot drop, after all.

"Master!"

Nola got off the bed and rushed towards me.

"Master, are you all right?! Oh, I sincerely apologize for my irrational actions. It's just that, er, I mean - "

"No, no, it's okay. I've gotten used to far worse pain, so this is no biggie - "

"Please... Don't get rid of me..."

Once again, Nola uttered those words.

Just like yesterday.

"Umm, Nola? What do you mean...?"

"Please, master, don't reject me. I'll do everything to make it up to you, I promise. I'll do anything, even if you give me a pay cut, or - "

"Nola!"

I grabbed her shoulders and stared straight into her eyes. Tears were starting to roll down again as I continued.

"Nola, listen to me. I understand that you have every right to vent out your frustration, but as your employer, I can't help but worry about you."

"I... I..."

"I know that we might not be as close and that you might have some secret or two that is affecting you emotionally, but since you are now living under my roof, you are automatically part of my family." I pulled her into an embrace as I said this.

"Family..." Nola repeated. Then, she looked at me, saying, "Tell me, master. What is your definition of family?"

"Family?"

"Surely you have one, right? Wait. Since you told me you are immortal..."

"I've had a family, yes."

"...Forgive me for asking. It was insensitive of me."

"No, it's okay. You don't have to worry about me." The memory of my comrades smiling made me tear up a bit, but I wiped it away. "Why did you ask about family?"

"For my whole life, I've been looking for a place where I can feel at home."

"Don't you have your mother and father to take care of you?" Well, she's old enough to get a job, so she's probably not that reliant on her parents anymore.

However.

"I have only heard that they had an argument which led to a divorce, so I was raised as an orphan."

"Oh... I'm sorry I asked." Now it was my turn to say it.

"However, I have only one member you may call my family. A little sister, ten years younger than me. She's attending school in Elcor right now, and I am paying for her tuition fees by looking for work as a maid."

As much as I wanted to see little sister Render (SisRender?), I had to hold back on something unnecessary. "But why look for work out here, then? Won't it be better to look for work at Elcor? I'm sure it would make your little sister lonely, considering how you are so far from her right now."

"I have my reasons, but they are selfish ones. Did I ever tell you who I left the Royal Palace in the first place?"

From what I've heard, wages from working in the Royal Palace tended to be high. Since you were basically serving the Royal Family and the Hero's Family, it was natural that they would hire the best people in the kingdom and give them the appropriate wages.

I shook my head.

"The head of the Palace Maid Division was strict. We have had a lot of arguments and disagreements over various things concerning how to handle respective chores, until one day I received word that she was expelling me from my job.

"From then on, I took jobs as a personal maid rather than a waitress in restaurants because I have been searching for a place to call home. But I did not fit in any of them, and as a result of my own selfishness, it drove me further away from my sister. I hopped from city to city, town to town, and before I knew it, I was here in Sirvaelin, miles from the only relative has left, like a lost traveler searching for the meaning of their existence."

I just want a home where I could be treated like family, the one thing I've never experienced, she whispered, sinking her head into my stomach.

I gently stroked her head as I digested her words.

Nola has never experienced the kind of familial love that most people long for. Perhaps it was because I longed for my former father and mother back on Earth that led to my attachment to my former comrades. It was easy for me to sympathize.

For all these years, both of us have longed for a family.

A place where you can love, and feel loved. Deep down, I've always wanted to experience that warmth in my heart again. To make new memories.

I felt the need to do something.

Remembering all the joy my family both from the past life and this life gave me, I said these words with conviction.

"Don't worry. You don't have to feel lonely anymore. Whatever troubles you have, you can share it to me. You're part of my family now, after all."

Nola looked up to me, tears in her eyes, and gave the brightest smile I've seen from her. Her golden eyes, wet from her tears, were shining as radiantly as the morning sun.

"Thank you," she said, before falling asleep once again in my arms.

I continued to comfort her throughout the rest of the day.

12