Chapter 27 – A Trip to the Mountainside
354 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Bercut Mountain Range is a group of mountains north of the Human Empire, making up the border with the Monster Kingdom. For centuries, it has been the defining line between the two nations, and as such, saw multiple conflicts over time.

There are multiple caves scattered around the area. They either pass through the mountains or go deep underground. And because of its proximity to the neighboring Monster Kingdom, wild, high-level monsters inhabit the region.

Over time, there have been multiple attempts to eliminate these wild monsters, primarily for safety reasons, since people started to set up towns near the area. However, the humans deeply underestimated the population of these beasts, so most expeditions to clear them out have failed. Ever since the Great War, the border remained impenetrable, despite the absence of their leader. The cause for this remains unclear, but there was always the lingering possibility that a possible raid or invasion could happen anytime.

Yet, nothing happened.

There was no invasion, raids, or any of the sort.

There used to be a battalion of soldiers assigned to this region to protect the small towns in an event of an invasion, but over the decades, their numbers dwindled. Today, adventurers seeking to raise their levels and stats populate the area.

Aside from a few scouts, only the five legendary heroes (me included) have stepped deep into their territory, to my knowledge. So far, there hasn't been anyone that had achieved the same miraculous feat we did, so we virtually had no news on what was going on on the other side.

A planned retaliation?

A military coup of some sort?

No clue.

But the one thing that always comes to mind whenever I look at the mountains was the foe we fought that faithful day.

The other immortal, the leader of the Monster Kingdom, Queen Tania.

Where is she now?

What is she doing?

Is she still...

...Alive?

"........"

Such thoughts filled my mind.

My level was immensely higher than the last time I stepped on monster soil, though it wouldn't hurt to be cautious and bring with me a few allies along, just in case.

I still have to check up on her, after all.

As promised.

............

But anyway.

That's not why we're going to the mountains today.

"There is a rare metal that I need for my invention," Kaena explained. "It is said to be located in the deep caves of the Bercut Mountains. However, information on this is scarce due to the high-level monsters that live in these caves. I have been preparing for this expedition for years, so my level is pretty high, but it wouldn't hurt to have the world's most powerful witch by my side. I know it would be a hassle for you, but I would appreciate it if you would accompany me on this dangerous journey."

I'll even pay you, she said as she lowered her head.

"I can accompany you there, but the problem is, my job requests will start again tomorrow..." I pondered a bit. "The time it takes to travel there and back would be over twelve hours. Are you planning to stay over in a nearby town?"

"Yeah. I had a friend book us a room in an inn. We'll be meeting him by the time we arrive there since he's coming with us in the caves as well."

"Well, I can go, but I can't afford to stay there for very long. I can stack up the job requests for three days at most." Though doing so would be a bit impolite to Lohre, since he told me that my work is starting again tomorrow.

Nah, I think it's fine. He owes me one for catching the thief, after all.

I'm sure he can let it slide if I skipped a few days.

Hopefully.

"Give me time to complete my job requests tomorrow, then we can leave right after."

"That's fine, as long as you can accompany me in any way."


And so, the next day.

Two weeks before the Sirvaelin Technology Fair.

The job requests were over in an instant. After a quick lunch, we packed our bags for a three-day trip.

At first, I wanted to bring Nola along with us, but she stubbornly refused for some reason.

"Nobody will protect the home if I went with you, Lady Hisami! As the sole maid of this household, I will not allow the place to go unattended!" She said.

"But what if you get sick again?"

"The leftover elixirs will suffice. The mansion is in a habitable state at the moment, but there is still a lot of work left to do. I still have to properly manage the cleaning supplies, the list for the next grocery outing, and I also have to factor in the dishes I will be cooking to have a stable diet for the household."

In other words, I am very busy, and any distractions now will put me off my work, she said, pouting.

......

Well, what more can I say.

A pouting Nola makes it harder for me to think of any comeback.

Nola has been showing a lot of emotions lately, which was throwing me off a bit.

Or maybe she was like this all along?

That deep beneath her cool demeanor lies an emotional personality.

Honestly, I want to see it more.

So that settles it.

With Nola in charge of the mansion, we took our bags and headed back to Sirvaelin, where we would then take a cab to Irtlin, the small town we were staying for the night.

I had a lot of stuff in my bag which was mostly clothes, magic items, and mirrors, so it was taking a toll on my shoulders as we walked down the hill.

As for Kaena though...

Her bag was huge.

Almost five times bigger than my bag.

It almost resembled a snail's shell due to the massive difference in proportions.

She was even wearing her hoodie too, which for some reason reminded me of a certain anime.

......

Hang on...

I have silver hair.

And we were technically entering a place full of monsters sorted out in floors.

What, are we going to pick up girls along the way, too?

Sorry, but no thanks. I'm the only girl for me.

It's these kinds of comparisons to popular media back then that makes me more aware of the world I am living in right now.

Monsters.

Levels.

Magic.

Everything about this world was once fiction to me, merely existing in the borders of the infinitely creative human imagination.

But this was my reality right now.

This medieval-like world, with all its outdated technology, swords, and dragon-pulled cabs, is the world I now call my home.

Having been alive for decades in this place, it feels...

A little dull.

Little to no technological advancements have been made over the majority of my time alive, so this upcoming Technology fair makes me a little excited for the future.

Change is coming.

Technology will improve.

I might even witness this world's version of the Industrial Revolution.

"That's how immortality is, huh..." I said, looking at my hands.

The hands that aged, but never aged.

I wonder...

Does my immortality have its limits, or will I witness everything, until the end of time?

......

I don't want to think about it.

I can't.

I'm too distracted by the gigantic bag jiggling up and down every step its owner takes.

Just what is in that bag, anyway?

Come to think of it, I don't even know what her invention will be.

Her bag was really heavy the last time I carried it, and yet she was standing upright as she walked, not even slouching.

What a jock.

Whatever it is, the contents of the bag were making small metallic clanging sounds.

Maybe her invention has something to do with it?

I better ask her.

"Hey, Kaena. I don't think you've told me what your invention will be."

"This stuff is pretty confidential, so I don't go around telling everyone I know about the thing that I'm working on. You never know if your idea could get stolen or not. But," she turned to me as she said this. "You're helping me out, so technically you have a right to know about it and stuff. Just, not here." She said the last sentence in a whisper.

"Ahh, right."

We were entering the city's main gates, which led to the crowded main road. Not the perfect place for a classified conversation.

"Let's just continue this on the cab," she said.

I nodded.

8