Chapter 25
292 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite assumptions, Ele neither pushed the point nor tried to get in Kiko's bed, and the night was a sound one. Though the morning was not so much, for the promised joint exercise had the Fatherborn in a flurry of excitement. Breakfast was a vigorous affair, with boasts of strength and exclamations of the men that the women thought most attractive. There were fireworks when two women announced the same man, though it was clear that they were just messing around and didn't actually want to fight each other for him or anything like that.

After breakfast in their shifts, and getting dressed into their uniforms, the group milled out to the practice range. The men were not here yet, but there was a guy who stood out in the crowd. A robust giant of a man, over six foot tall and with a barrel-like physique despite the height, he looked the kind of person who could pull a tree out of the ground and carry it on his shoulder. The shoulder-length red hair was well kept and neatly tied back with simple plait, and his inch-long beard was equally looked after and plaited. There was even a pair of small clasp-like things clipped at the bottom of his beard and hair. Despite the sheer size of the man and grizzled look to his face, the way he was clean and styled gave him an aura of civilized savagery. Like he could split your head open on a rock, then wash his hands and have dinner with the family.

As Kiko approached, she saw he was engaged in conversation with the Camp's Big Guy, who's name she neglected to garner during his teaching of Fox-Fire. The two seemed animate and engaged despite Kiko being unable to hear the words, so she didn't bother too much about the fact that he stood out a mile. Not only from a lack of tails, but also his fashion being radically different. Even a City Dweller would raise an eyebrow at his passing. The Fatherborn certainly were staring and raising eyebrows, though they didn't get much chance to say anything because a loud greeting cut through the air.

"Ymir, ya smelly bastard! Didn't you pass the river on your way here?" It exclaimed. Kiko immediately recognized the voice, though the tone was entirely different to before. Staring stunned at Yeni strolled from the tents to the ground, the big man wasted no time in turning to her and picking her up, spinning with enthusiasm like they had been married a decade.

"Hygiene is secondary to beautiful women! Even if they do tend to eat the men that are attracted to such beauty" he replied, putting her down after a few rotations. The two clearly knew each other from the jubilant tone they had, though Kiko could only stare in shock at this elegant, demure woman speaking like a lout...It was enough that she totally missed the second part of his claim, and just stood staring.

It was eventually caught by Yeni, who waved Kiko over and beamed with pride when she got here, hugging her close.

"Ymir, this is Kiko. Kiko, this is your second cousin, Ymir Ator" Yeni introduced. It was a good explanation for how they knew each other, but...

"I..I thought, family was a bad topic for you?" She asked with an awkward, unconfident stutter. Ymir, clearly in the know, waved a meaty hand.

"Bah, Drax's problems were Drax's problems. Being a pair of fools doesn't mean she is any less part of the family. A weird part of the family who doesn't get paid for doing stuff, but still" Ymir exclaimed, before turning his gaze fully to Kiko, bending down a little so they were eye to eye. "So you are what all the fuss was about...I can see it" he exclaimed after a few seconds, nodding, and then looking back to Yeni, who started talking, as if he knew she was going to.

"Speaking of being paid, why are you here? It's quite the distance to travel just for a visit" She'd ask, letting Kiko out of the tight Mum-Hug.

"Unfortunately. So, the Ator Clan got a small gig in a nearby school. Old friend, now Headteacher, asked us to help out there. Long way to come for a simple show, but he is a friend" Ymir explained, leaning back a little to a more comfortable stance. Though, Kiko was frowning a little. Ridas did mention contacting her father about something, and if this guy was her dad's cousin...

"You mean Mister Ridas, in Ashfield?" Kiko asked. It all fit together, a little too well. And Ymir confirmed that, with a nod.

"Indeed! Fine man, truly fine man. His retirement was not a surprise though. Few power past moments such as those. And I heard Yeni was nearby, so I came to visit" He replied, grinning and showing a pair of teeth as well kept as his hair.

"Nearby? It's two days away, at a stern pace. How is that nearby?" Kiko asked, intensely confused at the word. It merely, however, got a laugh from the big man.

"It's like you don't know how to Lightfoot or something" He exclaimed, though with a look from Yeni, seemed to freeze.

"She doesn't" was the casual, cool comment that Yeni gave.

"Ohh...Dam, he was real serious about keeping her out of everything, huh?" Ymir commented, rehtorically.

"Well, you are here now. Did you bring your Skjold?" Yeni asked him, her tone serious and business like. Completely opposed to her greeting.

"What kind of daft question is that? Of course I brought my Skjold!" certainly not one to stand on ceremony, Ymir retained his casual, boisterous tone.

"Excellent. Come with me, let's talk business" Yeni told him, gesturing with her head and heading off, followed by the man. Leaving Kiko to get on with what she was here to do in the first place.

11