=== Chapter 1 “The World”
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=== Chapter 1 "The World"

 

Arriving at the location of my interest, a giant castle surrounded by huge walls appeared in my vision. It was unlike other countries I visited, but I got used to how strictly the space was designed for its residents. Each line places with extreme architectural precision, no room to argue about discomfort. Even the colours of this idealistic capital were grey and deprived from vibrant additions entirely.

 

If freedom was to be had, it was the outside, the green and yellow yards of liberal plantations that fuelled this machine. Further in the distance, between the tall mountains and the ocean, a stone wall was under construction. Once that was finished, this small secluded world will become complete and no fears or nightmares would be able to invade this fortified country. The benefit of the security was the most important aspect for people living it, and I can only imagine why that was focus of this society.

 

I say so, even though I can get a general idea why humans desire protection. Yet, something seems to be amiss. I wish I was able to talk about their feelings freely, but as I try to talk with them, they appear to repeat the same line. “I am fine, how are you?” Their smiles greet me as if I was their own. But what worries me is not their mechanical response, but the lack of humanity caused by the shades hidden inside of the walls.

 

[I am a traveller, my goal is visiting various countries to see how their work and function within this virtual world.

Frankly, this is not a part of my research, though it would greatly help me understand the application of my project.

I do reckon that with only a few questions my curiosity shall be satisfied. Is that perfectly clear with you... mister?]

 

[Welcome my dear client! I'm a trader of this stand—I sell goods of metal, would you be interested in anything?]

 

Again, I received a routine response. Is everyone here is an AI or are there people inside? This questions me deeply, I came here to understand this country more, but I find myself unable to explain my overreaching feelings right now. Is it really fine to call something a society if it doesn't have the human aspect? Perhaps I am entirely mistaken, maybe I'm missing something important here, but the further my thoughts reach, the less I feel entitled to conclude.

 

[No it's fine, I have my supplies and everything. I just need information, and I hoped I could get at least some here.

Alternatively, may you tell me about someone who I can talk more freely with? Like an actual human, no offence intended.]

 

[Yes, our offensive oriented weapons have the highest attack attribute around the land.

You will not find a better deal, I guarantee! What do you say for a test trail free of charge?]

 

[Can you just tell me what I want? Jeez, I thoughts AIs were supposed to be the future, but we lost it somewhere clearly.

Anyway, thanks for the offer but I am going to see if I can find someone with the ability to talk to humans more naturally.]

 

[Most certainly, if our consumer would allow it, I may suggest the place with the best recreation facilities in this land.]

 

Waving my hand in the air, I completely ignored the talkative automaton which quite frankly had nothing of interest. The technology and the visions of future are clearly not ready for practical applications, far from it I must sadly say. Perhaps in few years from now we shall experience the necessity to stop this rapid manufacture of unnecessarily confusing puzzles. I can't even find myself in this mess sometimes, though I am supposed to be a researcher of new and innovative technologies.

 

Personally I have high hopes for humanity. With every step we can reach further than the moon, we can chase our dreams—arrive at destinations that are more remote that the last stop. If we combine our powers we can surely overcome any obstacle, it is just a matter of time before we can again overcome the boundary that we thought was final one and face new horizons.

 

This is why I was travelling, and although this is just a game, I was invited by a friend to explore this microcosmos. Who knows, maybe in a virtual space we can finally see the humanity in its true light? I believe so, much is to learn. Even if this example is frightening, I need to know the reason for this is just a single fragment in this ever-changing quandary.

 

[I reckon you are here for the first time? I would gladly introduce you to everything if you have the time.]

 

[Of course, I would be glad. You are a human right? I mean with all respect I have been quite confused so far.]

 

[Ahaha... yea I understand some people get the shock at first but then they get used to it. As for me,

I'm Xyl, the guild leader of this place. We are still setting up here, so don't mind the rubble okay?

I am kinda tired from all those meetings already, I think being a tour guide would be a nice change.]

 

[Hmm, so you are the one responsible for this design? That is prefect! I have so many questions really,

I dunno where to start. Pardon me, but would you like something to drink or eat? I can summon us...]

 

But before I could convince the big man to accede to my suggestion, he was already off in the direction of the castle. It was the biggest construction in the town, obviously, and behind a small river. We crossed the bridge over in a hurry. After that there was a set of stairs to climb, various servants dressed in uniforms bowed at us as we entered the main balcony.

 

The interior of it was as predictable as the exterior, it was still under construction. Empty walls made out of dark stone plastered together, wooden supports painted to be indistinguishable from everything else, or the fuzzy carped on the floor that was neither warm or welcoming. Somehow I had the thought that this design won’t change much in its final stage.

 

Going through the empty corridors with unmarked doors, passing by what appeared to be construction maids in the hallway, Xyl opened a wide door for me and we arrived at our destination. It was a balcony of some sort.

 

[And as you see, from this high up you can observe all the citizens living here. It is an excellent place for a rest,

so I suggest we cool down a little, if that is not a problem. You also must be very curious, so please ask anything.]

 

[Thanks, I'm actually fine but I wouldn't mind asking you a question. Say, all of those people there, they are players right?

You don't think it is a little empty to have all of them controlled by AIs? What is the point of that in the first place?]

 

[Well, good question. Just a while ago I did talk about that with everyone. I don't force them to log in and play, nor does anyone.

They do as they are allowed by their real lives, and I can understand that. Not everyone has a schedule that allows for hardcore gaming.

Not everyone is forced to enjoy this game in a way that would be prescribed by the devs. I meet different people in this guild,

and making everyone happy is kinda my goal here. Sounds a bit naïve, I guess? You might be right about one thing, it does feel empty.]

 

[Sigh... so I reckon the reason for that is not everyone is in the same boat as goes for their schedule and free time. But besides that,

I do wonder, those grey walls, this stone and houses that look the same, all of this meant to unite above the individual differences, right?

Yet there is something foreboding about this thought... something that lacks substance and colour. Do people really accept this...]

 

Interrupted by a maid carrying a trace I was reminded I was still a simple guest in this establishment. Her uniform was standard, not too frilly but kept clean as a whistle. Looking back I noticed they all had similar outfits, everyone had that kind of dress code forced upon them. They showed no individual touches—even their hair was fashioned similarly. In this conformist regime the way to survive was to become one with the environment, and as a monochrome chameleon, unarguably adapt to others.

 

Since I started travelling I was never reminded of my conspicuous presence as much as today. Even if I was simply drinking water with Xyl right next to him, I felt like I was far away, in a different world. Yet the one in front of me was again, not something new, but a haunting vision of the past future. Yes, the dystopian fiction where humans are personified as a cog in the system, deprived of human emotions, and forced to survive in harsh conditions. There has to be something more to this than the masquerade of AIs, I thought.

 

[Do people accept this state of being? I mean a lot of players don't even play, from the looks of it.

Are you not worried that they can at some point completely forget that they are part of this guild?

That someday they will become completely immersed in this culture that they will respond to the normal players in the same way like to AIs?]

 

[I don’t think that will be the case. Remember that this system doesn’t imply that the players must work no matter what, it’s a game. In our establishment we don't force people to carry out all their actions in person. Instead, we suggest they use the system in the game to carry all the mundane tasks as AIs. See those walls, and those buildings? I never needed to give an order to gather the resources—it simply got completed one day. The only problem was to organize everything to a fairly and functional consistent structure, just like this town you see before you.]

 

[The streets lined up, the people in their uniforms doing their job day and night. It seems that I can't completely deny that.

This guild certainly is organized well, and still growing, so that was accomplished here. However I have my doubts,

namely if everyone is free to do what they want, does that include doing nothing at all? What is their motivation to play?]

 

[The motivation is competition. We have a structure here, captured by the design of this town. The centre of it all,

the management, is the castle itself, while all the other subjects are connected hierarchically in a chain of command.

We respect each other’s positions, and all of us must work together to keep this machine running. Personally however,

without having anyone to talk with, we would find no reason to seek social gratifications, thus why it’s so clustered.]

 

And as Xyl said, even the dull and crowded atmosphere had a reason—it was to prompt the need of creating a society with others. Thus town remained populated, no matter the standard and bland looking houses, because people needed others to avoid being lonely. Its residents were mostly AIs however, as if it was no place for humans. Marching like soldiers, the parade of a few automated units appeared in our view just down the narrow streets.

 

Quite frankly, it was fascinating to learn how everything works out so far, I have no objections towards this organization. But before I would give out my final conclusion, there is something I rather ask about first that concerns citizens.

 

[I understand that the people of this town work towards one goal and their involvement into the community rests with them.

If they wish they can behave freely when they are actively playing the game, while acting as workers when they are offline. ]

 

[That is true, those who want to play and have time can enjoy this game to the fullest, but no all are fortunate.]

 

[No I mean what if they had a different plan? Can they express their individuality in a constructive form?

I have only seen AIs in this town, not a single player before I met you. If what you say is truth, I should be able to meet humans here, right?]

 

With everything already build in set in stone, it would be impossible to oppose the government, to go against the bigger picture. Any objections were long buried into the ground. If citizens did not enjoy living inside of this dull atmosphere, was there an alternative for them? Xyl should know…

 

[As you see, people agree to give up on their ideals for the good of all. At least that is the impression I got from talking to them.

I didn't ask anyone to follow the rules strictly, it is just how they are, how they want to create their society. Nameless,

faceless to others, collective people who you meet on streets, but never talk to. Individually however they are...]

 

Different from each other? Silently, I was satisfied by his unfinished words alone, as the answer was obvious and in front of my face. The maid girl, that I previously met, returned with the empty trance, bowing and interrupting Xyl politely during his talk. She was craving his attention, despite her rudeness, and insisting that we eat some of her sweets she had on her cart.

 

Still, her movement was mechanical—it lacked anything that could be called humane. It was like she deliberately performed to mimic an AI.  Perhaps if that person was controlled by a human I would be able to...

 

[I'm sorry to interrupt, but there is a messenger for you Xyl, waiting in the hall.]

 

[Oh is there? Tell them I'm on my way and they should refrain from moving.]

 

[It's fine, just go. I think I learned what I wanted.]

 

[Did you miss? May I interest you in a little talk? You desired to know about this country’s ways, so I might be of help…]

 

Suddenly, as the robotic servant turned towards me, I noticed that she was a human after all—AIs never say things like that. I also realised the solution to my query was closer that I first thought... It was the acceptance of mediocrity.

 

===

 

In a faraway land, with no civilization, forests and wild green open spaces dominated the landscape. No one lived there for sure, but I was told otherwise. Somewhere in this endless and vast space a guild unlike no other was hidden in plain sight. Their specific way of living intrigued me greatly. Unlike the previous ones, which had either villages or a single town, this one had neither of it. I only learned about them from the guild TSO, but I have decided it would be for the best if I went on my personal investigation. Right now, I might be regretting that dreadful choice.

 

Currently, despite hours of searching for so called hidden people, I found nothing that would indicate that humans ever lived here. No roads or signs, it was a barren world which became repetitive as I travelled great distances. My map was not wrong, but not accurate. There was a huge zone that indicated the territory which belonged to the guild, yet no towns or landmarks, just the big bulky title.

 

Was this a joke or was I not reading this thoroughly? This current journey will teach me a lot about living in the wild, I pondered. Transportation is still something that leaves the brain confused, especially due the complexity of the natural navigation without a phone. Clearly, augmented reality was thought to be the solution to people's problems with directions, but soon companies realised that...

 

[No matter what device you use, it is how humans perceive computer based systems matter in the end. By that I mean, surely it did help with some people, while others refused to use it to reasons of age or uncertainty. Those that braved, they also received complaints about relying too much for gadgets, and all of a sudden, now we fund public information campaigns that discourage raising so called “Tablet Babies”. All in all, technology supposed to serve humanity, but controversially in a way it’s also causing new problems we have yet to solve. What can I say—the future is a vast sea of possibilities.]

 

I said looking at the sun in the horizon. It was getting late already, inside of the game at least. Perhaps tomorrow...but I was surprised by something unexpected. There was a robotic being, just in the reach of my vision, walking towards me. He or it was a construct of wires, metal and synthetic skin, all came into a form pleasant for the eye. I greeted him from afar.

 

[Greeting and salutations traveller. It appears that the calculations were in fact correct and right on point.

This unit received a message from eye witnesses that someone was interested into knowing more about this country.

Is that piece of information correct? Does this traveller permit the proclamation to engage in an informative consultation?]

 

[Who are you? I don't mind a conversation but you almost startled me with this voice. Are you really a robot?

The synthesiser does sound authentic, but I have heard more human-like ones in the past. Who are you by the way?]

 

[This unit's designation is G1=98. It is a pleasure to meet you traveller. I shall refrain from asking your name,

it is not required for the tour guiding protocol. As the time matters, we should engage in activities right way.]

 

[I'm quite flattered to be treated like that, please do call me Squeggie if you find a chance. In any case... G1 is fine?]

 

Quite different from the last time, I was greeted with human kindness for once, yet it felt a little strange. With his or it head nodding, acknowledging my nickname to him, his hand extended towards me as if inviting me to a follow. I had to accept. After all, this robot went all the way to meet me in the middle of nowhere. That is something I have not seen in a while.

 

I followed his gesture and started walking, following him closely. The sun was setting and it became darker, we still have a long way. With each step I walked further into the unknown, trembling about what is going to happen next, fortunately nothing bad. In my vision finally came the civilization, the hidden houses of various designs. They were far from being remotely close, rather their placement shown dislocation of population. It was difficult even to say they were a part of the same village.

 

Still, I was lead to believe that this was the place I searched for an entire day. That at least filled me with a slight relief, granting me the optimism that I would be able to finally rest peacefully. Was that to happen I would realise soon enough. Will I be able to satisfy my curiosity today? Despite the tiredness, I desired for it. Now I take a step into a new homely beginning.

 

[G1, you live here with all those people? It seems so strange that this hidden civilization even exist in a place like this,

like the land itself was not changed by the humans. I find it quite hard to believe after I saw examples from other guilds.]

 

[Precisely, it was not this unit's idea to preserve or cultivate the land—it was the product of the will of many.

To explain the concept for the traveller I shall ask firstly if the information about Hive Mind is comprehended.]

 

[It's a type of mechanism that account for collective intelligence right? Something like connecting brains or computers.]

 

[It is so, that definition is not incorrect. However, to further explain this unit will start with extended example.

Take your human body and tell me how many organisms it is consisted from? It is not a single cell, or moreover,

it is not a single being. The occasional bacteria that treat humans as their hosts strive towards their preservation and survival,

but also try to live in harmony with earthlings. Their interest is collective, yet they lack a single mind which would direct them.]

 

I never actually read about how much of those microcosmoses really affect the human organism, but it's quite interesting. The codependency between each individual creature and its relation to a greater cause, survival of the entire colony...and despite living in times where we strive to keep a clean body, the bacteria are still playing an important role in our biology.  All of this relates to the idea of the Hive Mind.

 

Coincidently, I heard about the Morphic Fields theory the other day, which is relevant to this topic. It was widely spread in popular fiction that something akin to telepathy exist within the microcosmos. Small individual cells communicate with each other by using Biochemical Signals, influencing each other mutually.  Such decency is an example of a Hive Mind, but this goes deeper.

 

Thanks to the release of the Human Connectome Project, it might be possible for certain part of the mind to exist, or be influenced by outside stimuli, other than the five senses. That’s why lately scientists have taken more interest in exploring the potential existence of human consciousness within the Morhpic Fields. It all might look like science fiction for someone in the past—and although we still lack evidence to confirm anything—but people now won’t deny that even someone as old as Plato might have been wrong.

 

[And so our society is based on that idea, the collective conciousness, the Morphic field that constitute harmony.

We are influenced by others and we also influence. We are not one, but we are constantly connected with each other.

While not disapproving our individual needs, we respect each other's boundaries and desire for self-improvement,

for our goal lies not is a single achievement, but the necessity of acknowledging the reality of our weaknesses.]

 

[Weaknesses? What would that be?]

 

[Wanting to believe that we are not able to overcome our own faults alone…]

 

I was all too interested into what the robot was saying I did not realise his sudden pause on the last word. His silence had some kind of meaning, but his message was shrouded forever in the darkness of the night. I was perplexed to know more, but as I noticed his expression, I decided not to overstay my welcome.

 

Soon we arrived at our destination silently—it was a metallic hut with several chimes on top of the doorway. It wasn't anything special, yet it felt a lot cosier that the big castles I was visiting all the time. A fire place, somewhere to sleep, tools lying around and most of all, the table in the middle. Just those simple objects could fire up my appetite, especially after this long and tiring day.

 

Without really questioning what was okay or not, I started moving towards somewhere I could sit down and eat. Yet, it wasn't my house, so I didn't want to make this situation awkward. I took a gaze at G1 to see his reaction but...

 

[Most certainly, do please feel like at home Traveller. If any assistance is requested, please inquiry at once.]

 

[I'm fine, what do you eat G1? I figured that I should be asking a robot first before I give him any human food.]

 

Saying so, I took out a tablet, which was sitting all the time in my pocket, and did some moves to navigate the menu. With a gesture I summoned my meal for today. It was cooked beef and rice, prepared in the spirit of the sichuan cuisine. Of course it was the spicy kind, but as for me I was really used to this stuff by now, simply because I was forced to try various interesting foods during college. This one however was left my taste buds most satisfied.

 

[You should try some too, it's good! But I guess it might be too spicy for you at first.]

 

I tried giving him some, but instead he left to do something else in the meantime. There was a pile of letters he was going through or something. Quite frankly, he did say he didn’t have much time so I guess this is why he was in a hurry all this time.

 

[Oh I guess you are still busy then? I can help myself then, but if desire, I'm might just return another day, okay?]

 

[There are no complications. First, let this unit familiarise the traveller with the customs of this land. It is as it seems,

we value self-preservation and individuality over systems and governments, everyone is forced to become self-sufficient.

Furthermore, each unit is welcomed to contribute to a greater cause, if there is a need. Times are different,

we are adaptable to wars or disasters, yet no order is given. Our unity is a simple convection that is left unsaid.]

 

[That's really interesting—you believe others will stand for the cause without a leader? That can't be true entirely right?

I mean if someone causes turmoil inside of the guild, who is going to resolve it? You don’t think it is going to be… ]

 

[Yes, this unit saw such problems settled between the members themselves, thus overreaching operations are needless.]

 

Still, looking at his stack of letters he was going through, it was hard for me believe that the issues resolve simply by themselves. If he had some kind authority, then some kind of hierarchy actually existed, maybe based on the prestige, but nevertheless, it all seemed too strange to believe.

 

[Are you feeding yourself Traveller? It is fine—this unit has just too much to deal at the current moment.

This is how we communicate and keep connections established, through letters and channels online.]

 

Just now I also noticed, he was so indulged into his work he didn't noticed I was eating. My manners aren't the best, but also he could just be simply used to multitasking like that by now.

 

[If anything, do please allow yourself to speak freely dear Traveller,

It would save time for this unit can partition talking and reading functions.]

 

[Very well, you talk about unity and wars, but I can't see any defensive structures or attempts at communal building.]

 

[That is a simple matter—there is no need currently for such activities. Our country only forms such relations when needed,

when each and every unit reacts to the stimulant of the outside. When we were at war, we would construct walls and shelters together.

As the peaceful days came again, those facilities are no longer needed, therefore they are scraped. Furthermore, our resources,

they are communal and come from donations of guild members. We do not allow others to help individuals, but everyone at once.]

 

[So if I were to give you something, you wouldn't accept, like this delicious meal? I understand, though this is silly.

Are you sure that with only good will people will show their gratitude towards others? No other guilds would think like that.]

 

But at that moment, something appeared in the air between us. It wasn't the smoke or the heat from my spicy meal—it was silence that pieced me greater than the hotness of the meal. G1 stood still and turned his eyes towards me slowly.

 

[Is that so, Traveller? Are we that different? Sometimes this unit ponders about the meaning of a phrase, but lacks the processing power.

It is regrettable, but because we are individuals we are given free will, the agency to choose for ourselves.

Yet why it is this hard to speak with words over emotions? All we need after all is simple human kindness.]

 

With his robotic arms full in letters, he spoke this phase with a bit of emptiness in his expression.

 

===

 

Walking through the desert is tiring, especially if it’s virtually enchanted to be as annoying at its real life counterpart. What I was doing in the middle of nowhere, with the horizon looking the same no matter where I turned my head? I wish I knew the answer to that, but my head was completely clueless and messed up. But I do remember at least gist of it, after all I would not randomly decide to become a kebab indigent for no good reason. There was something that pushed me forward.

 

But what truly was my goal here, other than wobbly trending the unknown and looking for the greatest treasure known to man? The solution to this madness must have lied in my memories, but those were evaporated now. The purpose of my travels was knowledge, though as I progressed further, less and less things made sense. In that state of mind, my body had enough exercise and decided to stop.

 

And there were several reasons for that, like the gentle wind caressing my hair. It smoothed my forehead as it dripped with sweat. Yeah...that was only cooling sensation I was allowed to experience in this long journey. Again I realised what I have been through all this time, and this little was not going to stop me. Eventually I would see the end, to this sand in my shoes, after this brief and refreshing rest.

 

[What a silly me, doing all this great stuff, thinking it will do any good for humanity. Do you appreciate suffering?

Someday you will learn the answer to that question as well, so be kind and wait. Now is precisely when you should learn,

your place and the destination, lying on the sand with your limbs sprawled. Keep still like that, for eternity in your shell.]

 

The wind blew...It did felt good for once, like taking an actual vacation. Though this was just a game, I felt like I really needed that. All my work as a researcher is tiring, and especially when you don't get any results right away. The professor would say, I was still young and had time, but only because she was old. Jeez, I wish I wouldn't be so focused on this one task.

 

But what can you do, someone has to think of the future, and even if we make barely a difference, one day humanity will appreciate. For now I rather do what I do, despite not knowing of the consequences. It might be dire but at times there are people who will lift me, who will say that what I do actually does matter in the end. I want to thank those people, for giving me push I need. They are truly...

 

[Hey, if you stay here you will fry.]

 

A voice entered my ears. It was like a gentle wind, though it sounded more like a threat. I opened my eyes to see a gentleman. He was standing right beside me, looking through his glasses. With a black outfit like that I figured it was some kind of bandit, but his face would say otherwise. With little expression he gazed back me, trying to figure out why I was still playing in the sand.

 

[Are you perchance someone who was looking for me? I'm just a traveller, I'm passing by, but now I'm just taking a little break.

Not to worry you, I am alive and well, maybe just a little tired, but that's all. You should try this too sometime, it's great!]

 

[Whatever... I need to go.]

 

Still, he didn't look that interested in talking with me from the looks of it. He started walking away from me as soon as I stood up, in quite a fast pace and without looking back. Afterwards, he took a bike from his inventory. I didn't know you could do that, but once again I was not an avid player of this game. Perhaps he could give me a ride if I asked him politely, I figured.

 

[Hey, by the way where are you heading? You wouldn't mind giving me a lift?]

 

[Sorry... I go where the wind blows, I don't run a charity.]

 

[Such rudeness sir, you don't adhere to the traveller's code? Ey, you could stop with ignoring me and answer politely.]

 

[Yea, I don't. See you someday.]

 

He clearly didn't have the desire to talk with people or to listen to strangers. What a peculiar little fellow, I thought, though it was no time for me to loiter around. If my guts told me right, he would have left already without a word. But he didn’t. He was simply looking at the distance and thinking deeply...as if he wanted something from me. I had no idea what of course, so I wasn’t sure how I should talk with him.

 

[How about I ask you impolitely then? Would you stop for a second and listen?]

 

[Are you going to amuse me? Very well.]

 

He took that as a threat, as if I was the rude one. If that was his terms then very well, I was ready for a fight.

 

[But if I win you are going to give me the ride, understand?]

 

[So you are just that lazy? Whatever, let's go.]

 

Yup, I was right on point, he clearly just wanted to fight me. My fists were ready, as well as his exotic weapons. I have never seen them before—it was like a shotgun and a katana? Of course I also didn’t play this game too much... Anyway, this duel was to determine whenever I get the leisure of the back seat or will I get my butt kicked deep into the sand.

 

With some understanding of how this game works, I moved into the position to strike at my opponent. He did not move. He was just standing with his katana and shotgun, looking at every step I took. I didn’t know for sure what his skills were, but I also couldn’t afford to play passive as well. I charged forward. Close and personal, that was the essence of the Martial Arts.

 

My first strike was instantly parried, though I didn't expect his reaction to be this fast. I had to use my Steel Fist, the armoured move that was unique to my weapon, and after the hit I cancelled it before it would go off. With my follow up, I used Heavy lifter to make my opponent react with his launcher. Naturally, I thought that was the logical move, however...

 

[Wait... this animation is different. I thought you were playing a Rogue.

Doesn't matter, you should be more wary about your opponent’s abilities.]

 

He said that as he jumped in the air, just before my active frames would come up. What a letdown, he dodged my attack, but now he was in the air, just asking for me to pursue. I had the perfect skill for that too, and this was my chance. Yet, I thought he would be running away, but instead he used his shotgun hastily, which pushed him back a little. Those frames were something I could use to my advantage. Without thinking much, I blocked his shot and I used my other unique skill afterwards, Ki Blast.

 

When you use that you usually have a long animation, but if you use it right after you block a projectile, it's faster. A bright ball of energy formed in my hands. I hurled it directly at my airborne adversary. Of course it was a clean hit, so I followed up with its second activation, which instantly teleports me in front of the victim. With him right next to me, I used my grab. I guess he did expect that and blew his Vault to counter mine. We both landed on the ground, back in neutral, with some of my skills in cooldown now. I wouldn't be long from now until I’m going to reach and use my other grapple, I thought.

 

[Hey, you are quite quick to judge a character based on their looks? I'm fairly flattered, but not amused.

Maybe it's the heat but I certainly don't remember anyone mentioning that advices are welcome in combat.]

 

And I think I overstayed his battle capabilities, because he lost all interest in fighting, giving up on the duel. With his weapons lowered I stopped just before I would accidentally use the skill to grapple his face without mercy. His passiveness could only mean his resignation, so it was my victory today. Overjoyed I hoped on his bike.

 

[That's it really? Oh well, I thought you were serious about fighting there.

I also almost grabbed you so sorry for that. At least say something before…]

 

[Disappointed? Then get off...]

 

[Nah, I rather stay. What is your name by the way?]

 

[I'm Wolf, just don't get too friendly.]

 

With that brief conversations he hit the gas and we were on our way, though I wasn't sure if were heading in the right direction. Quite frankly I could care less—I would rather get out of here in the first place. His bike and our coats were a match. The pleasant whoosh was dampened by the sound in the wind and the motor. It was something I had to get used to over time.

 

[Do you always travel like this Wolf? I need to get one of those too eventually—you know where you can buy them?]

 

[No, I have no idea...]

 

[But you... well never mind then. Sorry for asking, my ears are just hurting, let me lower down the volume.]

 

[Jeez... how annoying.]

 

What a guy really, I wonder if I have said something that did irritate him. But at least I was doing a good first impression, I thought, because in spite of what he says he didn't visibly care about me or what I said. I'm usually a good mannered person, but in this case, it's my first time dealing with this type of person. I might be able to learn something if I asked him around, though...

 

[Say Wolf, you seem to be a cool guy and all, but don't be surprised, I'm going to ask you about something.

Can you tell me about your view on society? I'm just really curious because I can see you don’t really like people.]

 

[Others are generally annoying, yes, but that's not all of the reasons. I let people think what they want, that's how I roll.

I don't force my ideals on others, like certain other guys I have met recently. Don’t worry about that though, not your business.]

 

He didn't seem to be willing to talk about them, so I remained silent. Still, he said more than before, so this was a good sign. I should definitely ask about something else too, since I want to know why.

 

[You think everyone should be free to think what they want? That’s undoubtedly true, but complete isolation is also detrimental.

Thus, isn't there a benefit of being mutually influenced with multiple ideologies? There are plenty things to learn out there.

Accepting that no one really knows everything, and that convictions never last forever, is more beneficial to your limited mind.]

 

[Yet the mind that accepts everything is the one that’s infinitely confused. Don't you think that is reason why the world is struggling?

Who is right or who is wrong? If you combine all the ideas what in the end remains is something far from the answer.]

 

[I see, care to explain? I understand your point of view, but surely a better solution comes from knowledge rather than ignorance, right?]

 

[Insight being a positive thing? I don't think so, simply because others are just like me. I'm just my own person,

I care for myself and only myself. It is a sad truth of what humans are, what they were since the beginning of time.

Even if I wanted to change anything, the world will break and reform again, despite anything humanity is going to do.]

 

Hey, don't need to be so serious about it. If you exist just as an individual, certainly the future appears scary. But we are not alone. With our minds combined we can see the light, and that makes us move forward. It's not just anyone, but everyone that matters, every opinion.

 

[So what do you suggest? Should we just sit without any prospects that humans can be fixed?

That perspective is the same as this desert, completely barren and without the needs to live.]

 

[What if, each day you could open your eyes to a different world, remembering nothing of your past transgressions and mistakes?

It is the total freedom from the soul, just like the sand, your attachments are swept with each new wind, leaving only the present ahead.

This very notion might be called ignorance, but can also be called rejection. We are just humans after all, our nature is our fault.]

 

[So your problem is that aspect of the humanity which we are born with? A strong wind however could end it all…]

 

[And so? Society as of today is no longer what you think it is. Yesterday conformity and complicate was on the rise.

Today alienation and wish-fulfillment is what’s important. Being an outcast is a norm, living for emotions is a norm,

hence we can only connect through fleeting things that last maybe for a day or a week. Can you call this wrong?

Can you say that this is this is not our decided fate? It's not my jurisdiction to oversee the creation of the future.]

 

Suddenly the blow of wind clouded my eyes in sand. Taken by the current I no longer knew where I was heading.

 

===

 

[So technically we could create many different and satisfying technologies for the people to immerse into.

It would perhaps not be the same as with Synapse, but we can do very intelligent stuff, at least I think so.

Did you ever consider joining our research group? We could use some people with a financial perspective.]

 

[I'm sorry, I'm not a researcher, nor am I interested in helping anyway. You really think technology will save the world?

Look at today and see what gap it created between generations. If anything I would be against exploiting it further,

it might be dangerous you know? If you look at my dad, he had to work in crude conditions, yet ended up being successful.

What changed now is that everyone can learn how to copy paste and create content based just on those skills alone.]

 

[I won't deny it, but I don't really play video games that much. You see, even if the working conditions changed quite drastically,

we have to accept the new way of economy and embrace that opportunities that lie not within the old ways of employment,

but new ways of making money through online “commissions” and “salaries”. People are most motivated if they do their own work,

and so desk jobs are dying, replaced by self-employment, creating an environment in which everyone is improving their skill slowly.]

 

[But what will they have after they reach a certain point? I understand schools are just another way to learn technical skills,

yet if you ignore their institutional value, you end up being swallowed by the reality of the market. You need a supporter,

someone that will give you a kick. Those are usually professors or companies that directly recruit fresh graduates. But you...

you wouldn't understand because you were simply a part of a project ever since you attended the university. So take that!]

 

On the table a mighty card appeared, but in reality we were just playing a card game called War. The rules are simple. You generally just draw the card and see if yours is better than your opponent’s. Naturally the result is determined by only that, there is no skill involved. You simply draw the randomly shuffled cards until the winner is decided. So without competition, is there a reason to playing this game? I do think there is one at least.

 

[Saying “I wouldn't be able understand that” is basically a personal attack that is not very scientific, don't you think?

If you want to do it the proper way, I guess you could conduct an experiment to see how higher education affects the ability to be successful on the market.

You just need to decide on how exactly you are going to determine that, like asking them directly or by brain scans perhaps?]

 

[Interesting, I’m going to take brain scans a suggestion and think about it later on. But let’s get back to the conversation.]

 

[Right, I wanted to tell you about…]

 

I gathered my breath and readjusted my seat. This was something I just recently learned so it wasn't quite solid, yet I thought I would be better of sharing it with my opponent today.

 

[You see, the way people form social connections today is quite different from before. It is because of the triumph of capitalism.

Since the end goal is not to “have money” but rather be satisfied in life, humans adapted different way of thinking over the years.

The career is no longer the means of “multiplying wealth” but rather a way to fuel financially your own hobbies. The likely minded people,

and those without enough pay, bond together in small enclosed circles of close friends just like ants do in nature.]

 

[Are you talking about the “shared houses”? Yes, I have heard that even up to twenty people can live in a single apartment sometimes.

But this way of coping doesn’t come from a change in economical behaviour, rather it’s a sign of the failure of capitalism.

You see, eventually those structures will collapse when the feeders find a way to ditch those that don't add enough to the pot.]

 

[On the contrary, when people have more in common, such as similar interest in culture, they also feel more connected.

Money is not the pivotal factor. You do understand that in total institution working is not something regarded positive?

By that I mean even if some are more graced with luck, others are more suited to perform different other tasks.

It's something every woman felt at some point, while being asked to clean, play with kids or to make dinner for others.]

 

[Tsk, old family structures... they will eventually be a thing of the past.

Right now we should look how to make this economy work for everyone.]

 

But his word didn't really connect that well with the cards, as I was able to challenge his King with mine. This only meant that we will do this again, until one of the sides will draw a higher valued one. In any case, the opponent I was facing all this time was my dear friend, though he was just a guy I met at the university. We were both from different branches, but had some connection through the interest in science. It was his turn.

 

[You know why, right? It’s because of the rich that posses too much power that the society is forced to seek comfort within dreams.

Just imagine, all those poor graduates and their weak income jobs, nowhere to go but straight to the mines to pay off the debt.

Only the mightiest will remain and they will be the ones that will impose their rules upon all the remaining kids.

It’s naive to think that they will ever show their kindness to other, that they will take control and make the world a better place...]

 

[Human kindness you say? I think that phase is something used in a wrong denotation. The act of altruism itself,

the way you show your heart to others is something not self-gratifying, but it’s a gift to others, even at your own cost.

Doing so, we believe in society, that it will become a better place. Don’t you think that above all else this is what we need?]

 

[Thinking that polite words might convince the hard working to be more kind? How that doesn’t sound unlikely to you?

For centuries we had a disagreement between employers and workers, their interests were different and not mutual.

Both in mind had profit, but one side had the means to multiply their capital, the other didn’t, they had to work in order survive.

Nowadays, thanks to the wealth gap amplified by global capitalism, the middle class often have to take loans and go into dept.

This is worrying because doing so they never amass capital—the money goes into the rich, house developers, bankers and so on.

And so they never become business owners, also due the high risk and competition, which in turn also strengthens big companies.

This is a recipe for creating monopolies which will only grow in financial and influential strength—it was all too well calculated by machines without emotions.]

 

[And that is more of a reason to fight for it. We can't simply sit idly and see how this economy slowly decays the youth!

There might be something we can do to make people notice, and I hope to find that solution in both humans and technology.]

 

Saying so it was my time to draw, but I got a weak one, so I lost. It does not matter though—the game is not over yet. I can convince this guy still, by some power perhaps? But I need to focus now, since I don't have many cards left.

 

[Yes, everyone says that. Have you heard about the latest protest? A few more and we might beat the record from the last year,

 quite an achievement. You guys do say things like new technologies and believe in something unrealistic, but when I ask?

Should I be already bowing to the inventions of the newer generation that saved the world thanks to the power of mind? And sorry,

I'm quite serious here. It's not just our generation, but people before us who said we no longer can accept wars as a solution.]

 

[And why is that? If we lose all belief in the future, only today remains. The goal is the motivation, don't forget about that.]

 

[What motivation? Whom are you planning on saving without the funds or the support of those who have the influence?

There is merit in saving humanity, but realistically we don’t know how. All in all we shall just individually adapt to everything,

just like we used to in the past. I wish you good luck though, with everything that you are trying to do. I hope I was...]

 

And that was it. We both agreed that if our game continued further, it wouldn't benefit any of us. This game of War, was not only “no longer a solution” but resembling an internet discussion, senseless, fruitless and without any direction. I felt that if I was only able to convince my friend I would have won, but then again he could probably change his mind the next day. It was all too pointless in the end.

 

I decided to walk outside—the sun was still in the sky and the sea all around us, without the sight of the land. It was the heat, the smearing sensation on my skin that remained me of the sand bath I took several days ago. I rested on the lounge chair, on my back with my hands stretched out. I was trying to grasp the wind but there was hardly any that reached this lovely ship.

 

[Humans are beasts that are better left alone... they are impossible to understand and change... why would you think like that?

With current technology it might be actually possible to read another’s mind, though it is unlikely we can change it at this point.

Our research on the quantum brain model is nearing its final conclusion, despite having little belief that we would actually be successful at all.

But moreover, perhaps we can influence the humanity in a different way then? Teaching others directly through brain stimulation...]

 

I just noticed—my outfit was almost perfect for sun bathing. I had a white lab coat with a tablet in one of its pockets. Under that amber vest were dolphin shorts with horizontal stripes and a green necktie that has technological-looking patterns on it. Additionally, the part that actually fits the most was the white bodysuit with green wires and symbols all over it. And finally, green loafers, quite nerdy glasses, ash grey eyes beneath it, medium straight olive hair, and the semi-chubby build.

 

I didn't even thought about how long I would be playing this game. I just had a hunch that this was the way how I wanted to look, though it took too long to assemble all of this. But now, I really need to go back to thinking about what I should do...

 

[Isn't it to fitting for a saviour of humanity being its worst nightmare? Those that manage to change the history are not heroes.

They are beasts that care not for individual, but for their dreams. And yet in your mind, a foreboding thought envelops your senses.

In near future, if possible, perhaps it would be fine to take control of others minds, and the opportunity is just around the corner...]

 

Wait, was there a voice, or did I...I feel really tired and all, too sleepy to think straight while lazing around like this. I should have not just doze off like this, with the game in progress, and me on the bed. But in truth, I can't really help it—I was already far from being conscious. Well then, I hope that at least this ship will take me where I am supposed to go.

 

In the sky just a faith sound of birds was heard. Where they were going no one knew. Perhaps their brain was guided by the Magnetic Lines of Earth’s gravitational field or was it the Morphic Fields? No one knew that, scientifically.

0