003. It’s Time
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gallia 100 C.D

Ayu kept an apprehensive look on Marc. There was fear in Ayu. He had just witnessed an attack he thought was from the era of the Titans. The unholy amount of aura released in an instant that Marc swung his short sword had made all hair on Ayu’s body stand straight. Even now, he was trying to wrap his head around the impact of that force.

‘He has advanced and not just a step, but by a leap, even if I had accounted for his increase in strength, this is way beyond anything I planned for. We need to get away from him, lest we run the risk of being butchered like pigs.’

Marc smirked, seeing the fear in Ayu’s eyes, “Twenty years I have waited to see you flinch like that, and today my efforts bear fruits.”

Marc was relishing in the feeling of his victory, which gave Ayu a chance he was looking for. In the instant that Marc let his guard down, Ayu channelled the entirety of his energy reserves for a last-ditch attack at Marc. He swung his sword with full force in the swiftest movement he could muster.

An aura radiated from the sword. It was much thinner than the one Marc attacked with, yet the amount that was released was far greater. The purple aura, like a massive tsunami, headed for Marc. On noticing the torrent of energy heading towards him, Marc took the battle position, hoping to parry the attack, for it was too late to dodge.

This battle was one of quantity, unlike the previous one of quality. The wave hit straight at Marc’s sword, a majority of it pouring over and inflicting Marc directly. His arms started to rattle from the force of the attack while his armour was beginning to give way to his skin. Lacerations and abrasions were beginning to form on his arms and face.

By the time he had fended off the major brunt of the attack, Marc had found many of his men in the same condition as Ayu’s were a while ago. In his desperation to fend the attack, Ayu had found an opportunity for escape.

Marc was livid at the current state of affairs as he had fallen for his own hubris. “All soldiers still in battle condition immediately follow after the escapees.”

Marc began to run towards the Ayu’s retreating group towards the Hydes mountains. He knew it was time. Dawn was upon them, but it would be a nightmare for the Veraxes. Mark channelled aura into running faster and catching up to the retreating forces of Ayu, though at this point, they were little more than a small band.

Ayu had successfully escaped and was now running at full force towards the Hydes. ‘This should do it in culling his bandits. Now to save my people.’

Ayu could see the two eyes of Helios rising in the sky. It was dawn. As he continued his speedy retreat, Ayu also used his aura to get a feel of the surroundings and could see the Marc was fast approaching them.

Ayu saw the base of the mountain in his eye line and increased his pace along with his men. As he approached, he saw his minor army of 2000 soldiers headed by Jeeva standing there. He also saw his wife and son. Seeing them, Ayu suddenly felt a pang of regret clench his heart. He had wanted them to leave with the rest of the forces that had left protecting the Veraxes population.

Despite his insistence, Ayu’s wife had vehemently denied separating their family. She reasoned that a life without Ayu amongst the elders was not one worth living for. Ayu had to acquiesce with this observation, for he knew it to be true. The elders did not like Ayu’s leadership of the Veraxes but could not rid of him, for he had proven his worth through military might.

If Ayu died then, the elders would leave no chance to torture and humiliate his family. Hence he let her stay.

“You made it!”, Maya exclaimed with joy. The baby in tow also let out a giggle seeing the joy in his mother. Jeeva slowly approached the couple as they embraced each other.

“How’d it go?”

“Worse than I thought it might, our old friend Marcus King is now a fully-fledged Quintus. He killed almost all the men with one swing of his sword. I was able to inflict the same damage on him, but I had to exhaust my entire aura reserve. You should have seen him Jeeva, at that moment, even I thought he truly deserved the title of Martial King. Such extraordinary power.”

“Hmm…this is very concerning and not something you should be in awe of. With that much power, he can easily beat us even if we fight together. Add to that the forces of Emmanuel, and we have ourselves a catastrophe. No wonder they made a move now. They were sure of victory.”

“I am sorry, Jeeva, it would seem we are to die here even I cannot see a way out of this” Ayu sighed; his eyes had resigned to his fate.

“Ayu, what is the plan now?” Maya approached the duo, and as Ayu saw his child again, the burning embers within his eyes lit a fire again. ‘For you, my son, I will do anything even at the cost of everything.’

Ayu caressed Maya’s face looking lovingly upon her, “I’m afraid this is the end, my love, but there is still a fight to be had. Since you are here, I must tell you something, and it is very important that we follow through”

Ayu took Jeeva and Maya to a corner in order to tell them about his final plan for survival.

Gallia 100 C.D

Emmanuel was standing on a hill near the base of the mountain. He could see Ayu and his forces standing below him through his aura sense.

‘It seems even after all that planning, Ayu managed to secure the evacuation of his people. No matter, after I’m done with these measly 2000 barbarians, no other tribe will ever set foot on my lands again. I will crucify each one of these savages from here till my city. All shall see the might and fury of Junia’

Emmanuel didn’t just want to defeat the Veraxes. He wanted to make an example out of them. One that no one will ever forget for decades to come. “Commander begin marching downhill and attack at first sight of the enemy. Inform the other battalions to do the same. Let’s end this charade once and for all.”

Emmanuel’s forces began to descend towards the Veraxes, 14000 against 2000. This couldn’t even be called a battle; it was to be a massacre.

Marc finally caught up to Ayu, yet he maintained a certain distance, for he knew that now there was nowhere for them to run.

“Such a happy reunion, but the happy ending you all seek is only a fleeting dream.”

Marc approached the measly army with no fear in him, for he knew he was unbeatable here. Seeing his gait and arrogance, Jeeva also started to move towards him.

“Jeeva”

“Marcus”

Both of them glared at each other, the air in the atmosphere began to heat up. The pressure began to rise through the roof as everyone started to release their aura in order to stand under the pressure of these two. Maya had to shield her baby as he started crying, sensing the undulations in his surroundings.

As the two stood right in front of each other, no weapon drawn or shield held up, they were contesting in the aura. Jeeva towered over Marc with his immense form, looking like a gorilla standing in front of a puny human. The intimidation, however, was the other way round. It slowly became clear Marc’s aura had begun to suppress Jeeva’s.

Both of them, sensing the end of the intimidation stage, drew their punches, throwing them at the other was aura wrapped around them. As the punches connected, a shockwave was released, with Jeeva being pushed back to the point of almost falling. Marc, on the other hand, was barely forced to take a few steps backwards.

Unlike Ayu, Marc had exercised much more of his strength against Jeeva. Jeeva had a solemn expression at this point, ‘He broke my arm! Ayu was right, he is unbeatable here. Jeeva, too realised how hopeless the situation was. Marc began to smirk, seeing the condition Jeeva was in. This time though, he knew that they would not be able to escape by throwing dust in his eyes.

Suddenly everyone was made aware of the legion heading for the Veraxes from both the flanks. Ayu immediately assumed the position at the head of the army, “MEN…READYYY YOUR WEAAAAPOONSSS”

After a brief pause.

““AAAATTTAAACCKKKK””

Both the sides shouted simultaneously as everyone started running towards the sandwiched Veraxes warriors. The warriors in tow raised their shields with spears pointing out of them as they huddled closer and tighter.

As the frontal force of the enemy hit them, they began to use their spears to stab the legionnaires. Bodies started to fall wave after wave right in front of the first group of shielded men while the bowman standing behind the Veraxes began to let loose a rain of arrows on the legionnaires. Blood started to dye the ground as this endless process continued.

In the distance, Emmanuel looked at this carnage with glee, ‘Soon, they will not be able to bear this continuous onslaught and give way to my men.’ Emmanuel was right. The Veraxes were beginning to give way under the constant onslaught of Junian warriors. It started when one legionnaire finally killed a shield carrier and was able to create a pass.

Seeing this breach, all the other soldiers fell upon it, completely routing the Veraxes. From this point on, it was only a one-sided massacre as short swords began to behead barbarians. Spears were inserted right through enemy warriors as they bled out, while others began to bash the skull of fallen warriors with their shields. The violence of war bared its true nature, as man’s true nature as a beast began to take hold over the battlefield.

Simultaneously Ayu was standing with his wife protecting her from being targeted while Jeeva engaged Marc.

Marc initially was playing with Jeeva parrying all his moves and reflecting some of them. He was not interested in killing Jeeva instantly. “Look around you, Jeeva, bask in the glory of Junia. See as your men, your people, and soon your family pays homage through the blood to Varuna.”

Jeeva, despite his efforts, could not keep out the sight of this carnage from affecting him. He had seen wars, hell he had even killed all his life but never had he seen such dominance on the battlefield. It was as if the Veraxes were sheep being devoured by the Junian wolf.

He tried to fight the urge of going to help his soldiers but stopped. For if he had departed, then Marcus would reign unimpeded on the battlefield, and he could cause much much greater damage than Junian soldiers. As time passed by, within only an hour, nearly all the Veraxes soldiers lay dead. Those that were not dead were on the verge of being so. Even still, these warriors fought bravely and had managed to kill nearly 2500 of the Junian soldiers.

Ayu finally saw Emmanuel approach him, “It seems you have lost savage one. I would demand you surrender, but what other option do you have left…Hahahaaha”

Emmanuel was gloating; he had won without much damage to his forces. Ayu looked at him, “It would seem so, Emmanuel, you have indeed decimated my army, but victory is far from your grasp.”

Emmanuel froze as he saw himself standing in the centre of a very large alchemic circle. The circle was glowing red, and as Emmanuel looked around him, he saw that all his men, including Marcus and Jeeva, were in the circle. ‘Sacrificial Altar!!!!!’

“AYUUU, What Do You Think YOU ARE DOING…You Can’t Possi…”

“Samadhi…”, Ayu said his final words as nothing more than a murmur.

Marc, who tried to run towards Emmanuel, was held down by Jeeva. Emmanuel’s face became ghastly as he heard what Ayu said.

“NOOOOOO”, the red glow became brighter as the altar activated and all the blood that had been drenched on the battlefield began to coalesce.

0