007. Emmanuel’s Concerns
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sorry for the delay though. I had been busy posting a map of Endaria. You can see it too, it on patreon and don't worry you don't have to pay to see it. Its free. Enjoy

Junia 100 C.D

‘A week already. Time really does fly by when you have so much to do.’ Emmanuel sat in his study reviewing administrative papers. His little venture in Gallia had now cost him dearly, he had lost a fourth of his troops, and a third of them were his veterans. ‘The cost of training an entire legion can still be managed, but we simply don’t have the time to do it.’

“My lord, I know your injuries are yet to heal, but please, this is not a time where you can afford to daydream. The knowledge of your defeat at the hands of the barbarians has spread far and wide. Lyden has not spoken a word on the matter, but Tryst is very much interested in our western territories. Seeing as we just lost an entire legion, I believe that they most definitely will attack.”

“I know Matthias. The conditions are ripe for them. The fertility of the western region makes it one of the most desirable lands in Northern Endaria. Tryson is a born general. Ordinarily, he is tough to beat, but with us being low on manpower, there is no way we can defeat him.”

“In that case, I suggest putting up a strong fight and then ceding half the western region to Tryst. As it stands, we cannot protect it entirely and even losing half will not set us back as much as them invading our entire territory.”

“Let me give it some thought. Marc must also be consulted on this. If he can beat Tryson, then we might not even need to lose our land.”

“As you wish, my lord. The General informed me that he will return to the palace today. It would seem he has recuperated sufficiently.”

“That is indeed good news.”

Emmanuel and Matthias continued their deliberations on matters of importance. The room they occupied was lavish. White pillars and huge windows covered its corners and walls. Red curtains draped down to soothe the heating eyes of Helios. The desk on which Emmanuel sat was made from the finest quality wood, and its carvings were exquisite. It, along with Emmanuel’s chair, was the definition of the word regal. Before the desk lay two large sofas facing each other, they were coated in silk. Matthias was sitting there sipping tea.

“What plans do you have for the child?”

At Matthias’ question, Emmanuel slowly raised his head as his eyes became visible above the papers he held.

“He…is dangerous, Matthias. If he were not a child but an adult-no even if he were just 10 years older, he would have single-handedly decimated the entire legion. However, the Gods are not so unkind. They have given me an opportunity to mould an object of absolute destruction. If I play this right Matthias, we could have in our hands a deterrent. The child can be the weapon that grants us Endaria…” Emmanuel hesitated after speaking such. A new thought had begun to take place in his mind, something no one had even imagined.

“Wi-with the child…we could even have hope of conquering the entire continent!”

“WHAT!!?”

Matthias sprung up from his seat as soon as he heard the anticipation filled voice of Emmanuel.

“Surely you jest Emmanuel, thi-this-this is a little too much faith in the child, is it not? No one before or after Alexander has ever conquered the continent. Priests and Sages say that a person like him is only born once a millennium.”

“You weren’t there, Matthias. Marc and I saw it; the child is something else. He has something very ancient dormant inside of him, something so powerful that it could raze the entire region of Gallia if it felt like it. I saw the entity Matthias; I was foolish enough to think too highly of myself. It taught me that I’m nothing. Besides, don’t you know…the boy is heterochromatic. Just like Emperor Alexander.”

“Hmm, too many things line up. The child is most certainly favoured by the Gods. Do you really think you can control him?”

“I dare not think I can do so, but what I can do is indoctrinate him into our culture. If he grows up in Junia and is taught our ways, he most certainly will be loyal to us. The upbringing of a child determines much of what he does as an adult.”

“That certainly is true, my lord. Even so, you should prepare countermeasures in case things do not go according to plan. Which I must emphasize happens all too often.”

“Correct, you are as always, Matthias. I plan to discuss contingencies with Marc regarding this issue when he arrives in the evening.”

Matthias nodded and then sat down again, followed by Emmanuel. They returned to perform their routine tasks. Time continued to pass by around them.

Junia 100 C.D

The Palace

Lady Lyra Junius sat on an armchair in the palace gardens surrounded by maids. In her two arms are the most precious beings of all, Junia. Maximus and Evangelina cradled in their mother’s arms feed themselves. Lyra had chosen to be highly involved in the lives of her children. She did not let anyone but herself feed them. She was doting over them every moment of every day.

“Now now, sweeties, be a gentle mother will always be with you.”

As she fed her children, she could hear footsteps approaching the garden. She knew it was her husband merely by the rhythmic beating of his footsteps against the ground. The other one was also quite familiar to her. It had an extremely rigid pattern, akin to the marching of a soldier. These steps she recognized to be that of Marc’s.

After turning a corner, Marc and Emmanuel were clearly visible to her. Seeing her seated there, Emmanuel immediately made his way to her. Marc saw what she was doing, and out of respect, kept a distance.

“Lyra, my love, I have missed you and your children so much. Come to my dears, give your father some energy.” As Emmanuel said that, he hugged all three of them, uncaring for their circumstances. Gone was the lord of Junia. Only a doting husband and father remained.

“Marcus, you can go to my study. I will be with you shortly.”

Marc nodded, then looked towards Lyra, giving her a curt nod before departing. Seeing him leave, Lyra clapped her hands, signalling the maids to take the children away. Within seconds only Lyra and Emmanuel were left in the garden. There were sentries far off but none that could hear them.

“So, how long do you have before you’re off again?”

“A week maybe two. Depends on how eager Tryst is to attack us.”

“Remind me what is the point of being the city lord if you always have to lead your troops to battle. I mean, why keep Marc as a general at all if all he is to be your glorified bodyguard.”

“You got me there.” Emmanuel laughed cheekily, but he relented seeing Lyra’s expression.

“These aren’t merely small battles that we can end with just some fights. In the coming year or two, we might have to face several incursions into our lands. I made a major blunder Lyra and actions have consequences. If I don’t join the wars, it’ll be seen as a weakness, which we cannot afford to show anymore. Marc will also fulfil his duties; he won’t always be there to support me. After settling the skirmish in the West, I will go southwards as a show of power to Lyden. Marc, at this time, will go and challenge the Champion of Terra for a duel. If he wins, we will have a major breakthrough in diplomatic relations. If he draws, we will still be seen as the old Junia, strong enough to get through anything.”

“What if he loses?”

“He won’t. He is a Quintus. Even in his injured state, he is far stronger than anyone in Northern Endaria.”

“I understand, but the anxiety in my heart will not be quelled so easily.”

“I know, but at this point, I can only offer you reassurance. Anything is else is beyond me. I won’t die, though. This much I will make sure of.”

“Thank you, dear.”

“Oh, and I forgot to tell you. I found a friend for Max and Eva; his name is Adrian. You can look forward to meeting him; he is special.”

“Special, huh…How is that?”

“You will see when you start seeing him. That brings me to the task I have for you while I’m away. I want you to foster a familial relationship between Adrian and our children. The kid must grow up as if a brother to Max. The deeper their bond, the better.”

“Ahh, I understand now. You mean to make that child just like Marcus.”

“You’re catching on quick. This makes it easier for me. Yes, I want the child loyal to Junia so that when the time comes, his talent and power serve to aid Max in his reign.”

“I get it, dear; you don’t need to spoon-feed me. I will take care of it.”

“Good, then I shall get going now.” Emmanuel stood up, leaned forward and kissed his wife before leaving towards his study. Lyra kept sitting there watching the flowers in her garden. Her mind had already begun plotting what was to be done for the future.

Emmanuel’s Study

Marcus sat on the sofa in a state of trance. He was thinking of all the events that had led up to this point in the past week. After waking up from his long sleep, he found out that Otis had hired a brothel woman to look after the boy. While he was a little irked by the woman’s status, he conceded to the matter after meeting her.

Eliza’s caring nature towards the boy had made him sure that the kid would be appropriately treated. Besides, he was not interested in looking for a caretaker himself; the current status quo would suffice.

‘Adrian…Adrian-It seems that anyone worth their salt is able to see the mystery of the kid. Even that woman realized that the boy is special.’

As Marc was entrenched in his own mind, Emmanuel finally entered the study. He did not disturb Marc as he calmly moved towards his chair and took a seat. He waited for the man to finish his chain of thought. Marc had realized that Emmanuel was here, so he wrapped up his thoughts soon after.

“So, what is the plan of action?” Marc questioned Emmanuel.

“For now, we wait but based on the state of things, we might have to fight with Tryst. I wanted to know if you can beat Tryson based on your current condition.”

“I can if we fight next week. Until then, I can only hold him off barely.” Marc’s voice had a sense of hesitance in it. He wasn’t sure of what he could or couldn’t do just yet.

Emmanuel picked up on this; he, too, began to feel anxious about the situation. Emmanuel collected himself and began to formulate strategies in his mind.

“Well, I don’t want you to outright defeat him. I know we can’t win it this time, but I just want to put up resistance fierce enough that they are deterred from attacking Junia. For that, I’m willing to cede half the fertile western region.”

Marc’s face darkened at the prospect of losing so much. He remembered the battle 10 years ago against Tryst. It was then that he had defeated the enemy commander and occupied the fertile western region. Fate was cruel indeed. Now that the mighty have fallen, Tryst once again stands to regain its lost land.

“It is the most strategically sound move to make. What are your plans after settling the matter in the West?”

Emmanuel looked Marc straight into the eye as he said, “I want you to go and challenge the Champion of Terra and defeat him if possible. If not, then definitely bring home a draw.”

“Hahahaha…This I most certainly can do.” Marc laughed as he understood the grand scheme that was in motion by Emmanuel’s will. Seeing Marc laugh, Emmanuel began to feel at ease too, Marc was a great general, but he was an even greater fighter. There was a reason he was called the Martial King.

‘I must beat Tryst. The path ahead would then be free of boulders’. Emmanuel stood up and poured some spirit into two cups handing one to Marc.

“To victory”

“To victory”

Well, that was that. Friday will be a large chapter more than 2k definitely. So look forward to it. Anyway before leaving if you like the chap do give us a rating or a review both are appreciated. You can even talk to me if you want on discord the link for which is present in the synopsis.

Signing off

0