009. New Friends
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Latest Chapter for today. Followers have increased the past few chaps and I'm loving it. I hope to see you on discord as well.

Enjoy

Junia 105 C.D

Lyra entered her room as maids began to undress her into her nightgown. Since her husband has been away waging wars and crushing rebellions, she has been tasked with managing the city along with Matthias. He comes back once in a while to check up on everything and relax surrounded by family. Yet it has been over a year since he was last here. Lyra had begun to grow weary of the entire ordeal. Managing the whole region alone without anyone to emotionally support her had started to take its toll on her. 

‘Five years, it is far too long a time to stay away, dear. You must return soon; our children are beginning to grow, and their curiosity is lethal at times.’ Lyra sighed as she remembered how Max had started to read and write. Eva was also tutored to do the same, but she didn’t seem as interested in it as Max was. 

She had received a letter from Emmanuel stating that he shall return to Junia within a year or two if there were no significant changes. He only needed to solve his final border dispute with Lyden. Terra had offered its support in this matter; this had substantially lifted the pressure on Emmanuel’s shoulders. The letter also contained a task for Lyra.

‘It is time for them to deepen their bonds.’, were the words written on the letter. Lyra instantly knew what this was meant to indicate. Emmanuel wanted his children to be friends with Adrian. 

After being dressed in her nightgown, Lyra left her chambers to look for her children. She soon found them in the garden playing together.

“Max, Eva come here for a moment.”, Lyra gestured to them. Seeing their mother, they stopped their play and made their way towards her. Eva was dressed in a pale blue silk dress akin to a skirt. Her auburn hair was in a bob cut ideally suited to her small but chubby face, her hazel like eyes glisten under the moonlight. Max follow behind her at his pace, a little slower than his twin. He is garbed in his own white silk nightclothes, his caramel hair growing longer by the day as it now reached below his forehead. Despite the foliage, his blue eyes were still clearly visible behind the strands of hair. Being a child in development, his face too was covered in pale red hue on his chubby cheeks.

““Mom””, both of them hugged her legs as Lyra responded by patting their heads; they were both the same height.

“So, how was your day?”

“It was greaaaaat…I went to the inner district and saw sooo many shops…Mom, they were selling sooo many things…there were toys, food, clothes and and weapons. It was sooo fun bu-but I couldn’t play with anyone there. Nick said that I wasn’t allowed to.” Eva made her dissatisfaction known to her mother.

“What about you, Max?”

“I-I went with Eva to the inner district, but I didn’t like it that much, so I came back before she did. Then I attended classes with-with the Teacher that-that was fun. I learnt more ab-about Junia and its pe-people. But Eva is right, mom. I also want to play with the other children. Wh-Why can’t we play with them?”

“It's not that you can’t, sweetie, but that those children can never be your true friends, they will almost always tend to see you as the Lord’s children. You may find exceptions to this, but you don’t have to worry about making friends. Tomorrow you will meet someone who will forever be your friend.”

“Mine too, right? Mine too.”

“Yes, Eva, even yours; he also has a sister you can be friends with.”

“Oooh.”, excitement was reflected in both their eyes. They truly longed for a playmate, someone who was worthy of being their friend. While the two had each other’s company, they still needed more companionship. 

“So, look forward to tomorrow, but for now, it's time for you to sleep. Let’s go come on.”, Lyra started walking. She held both their hands, motioning them forward towards their room. 

After tucking them into bed, she went back to the garden, poured herself some spirit and began to enjoy the tranquil atmosphere around her. Soon Matthias came a joined in her relaxation.

“Blowing off steam, Lyra?”

“Join me, Matthias; you’ve done your fair share of work today.”

“Still a lot left to do.”

“One step at a time Matthias, one step at a time.”

“Aye, cheers to that”, they clinked their cups in unison.

After taking a sip, Matthias slowly began to initiate conversation from meaningless to political to just plain gossip.

“Tell me, Lyra, what do you plan to do tomorrow when the kid arrives?” 

“I don’t know, Matthias. Emmanuel told me what resides within the kid, and it shouldn’t manifest so soon, but I cannot help but worry. I know he is only a kid, but anything that can hold a weapon is dangerous, especially when one does not know how to use the said weapon. Emmanuel wants him to be loyal to us, and that can only be accomplished when he stays within the confines of this palace.”

“That is true. For the kid to be indoctrinated, he must stay here. He must learn what the young Lord does and be a constant source of support to him. You don’t have to worry much, Lyra. I have spoken to Theo. He will make sure that the education imparted to the boy will make him loyal as well as the strategist the Lord deemed him to be.”

“I trust that it will be so, Matthias, but you must take extra precaution lest be discriminated by the soldiers. I have heard that his skin is paler than most people. It could give rise to some problems in the future if left unchecked.”

“I’ll take care of it. Now I must depart; we have much to do tomorrow.”

“Goodnight, Matthias.”

Matthias stood up and departed after giving a bow to Lyra. Lyra continued to sit there in silence as a cool breeze began to tussle her auburn hair. 

The following day, the children immediately woke up from bed earlier than usual and ran around the palace to finish their chores as fast as possible. They were anticipating Adrian’s arrival above all else. This also had the added effect of making them restless. Things proceeded with relative chaos until mid-day when Helios’ eyes were directly above the sky.

“Mom, where is he? When will he come? shouldn’t he be here already? why is he late?” Eva continued to pester Lyra endlessly. On the other hand, Max continued to calmly observe his sister, but even he couldn’t hide his excitement of having a friend as a smile was etched on his face.

“Hush now, Eva. Have some patience, will you? He will be here when it is time. Is this how you want to greet him, jumping and asking non-sensical questions?”, Lyra rebuked her daughter, causing Eva to go silent as she lowered her head in embarrassment. 

They were currently standing in one of the great halls in the palace. It was one of the places where they entertained guests. It could hold up to 200 people at once. One large round table occupied the centre space of the hall. On it was a variety of confectionaries delectable to children. Eva had been tempted to grab some, but her mother had slapped her hand. She was told to wait for their guests. It was also one of the reasons she wished for Adrian to arrive sooner.

A guard walked in after waiting for some time, announcing that Adrian had arrived with his caretaker and sister. When Lyra allowed them to enter, the guard immediately announced to bring them in. After the announcement, the large door to the hall was opened, and the silhouette of a woman cast a shadow over the marble floor. From behind, it extended two tinier shadows. 

Eliza dressed in a fashionable yet plain blue tunic, her hair tied backwards and minimal jewellery in her hands and neck entered slowly. Behind her, both Adrian and Riya wore the same blue tunic with a belt around their waist. These were in stark contrast to the royal purple worn by Lyra, Eva and Max. Seeing them enter, both Eva and Max perked up and began to focus on the children. On the other hand, Lyra just looked at Adrian and then proceeded to cordially smile at Eliza.

As soon as they were nearby, both Eva and Max were amazed when they looked at Adrian’s eyes. “Woah, Mom, he has two coloured eyes, sooo cooool.” Eva pointed at Adrian while pulling the hem of Lyra’s clothes. Even Max was fascinated by Adrian’s heterochromia. Both of them continued to gaze at him non-stop. Adrian had grown used to this fancy by now. Many people had pointed and stared at him like this his entire life. Eliza had taught him to ignore such gazes.

“It is an honour to be invited to the palace, Your Grace.” Eliza gave a curtsy after saying her greetings. Riya did the same while Adrian gave a bow. It was clear that they had been told to do so as the children were looking at Eliza for a signal the entire time.

“Please, you need not sit on such formalities. You are, of course, here to accompany us as friends. Have a seat, everyone,” Lyra’s voiced in her angelic manner, making her seem even more worthy of respect. Eliza then proceeded to seat her children and then took one herself.

“How about you start by introducing yourself, Eva?”

“Yes. My name is Emmanuel Evangelina Junius. You can call me Eva, I-I am the daughter of Lord Ephrite Emmanuel Junius and Lyra Junius.”

Lyra’s eyes then moved to focus on Max, “M-My name is Emmanuel Maximus Junius. Y-You can call m-me Max. My father is Lord Ephrite Emmanuel Junius, and my mother’s name is Lyra Junius.”

Seeing the indication in Lyra’s eyes, Eliza immediately looked at Riya, telling her to introduce herself. She immediately bobbed her head and proceeded to state her name. Now it was finally time for Adrian to give his introduction.

“My name is Adrian; I don’t have a family name. I don’t know who my father is and my mother…”, Adrian hesitated as he looked towards Eliza. Seeing her child lost in thought like this, looking at her for help, Eliza felt helpless. She couldn’t do anything in such a situation.

“Isn’t she your mother? Just say so then.” Eva bluntly said what she saw as the truth. Eliza was startled by the remark while a smile formed on Lyra’s face. However, she nodded her head towards Eliza and Adrian. Gaining such acceptance, Adrian was emboldened to say the words he had stopped midway.

“This is my mother, Eliza.”

“Well done, children, now as a reward, you can begin eating whatever you want on the table. I know you’ve all been waiting for this. Eliza, how about you and I take a walk in the garden while the children enjoy themselves.” Lyra stood up after saying her piece and began walking.

“Huh…ah Ye-yes your grace”, Eliza fumbled in her reply but followed soon after telling Adrian and Riya to behave themselves. Adrian saw them leave from the door they had entered with longing in his eyes. As he was looking, Riya grabbed his arm and jerked it, “Addddyyyy eat this, its shooo deliiicioussss.”

Riya’s face was filled with muffins at this moment. She was doing the complete opposite of what her mother had told her. 

“Isn’t it. It’s my favourite too.” Eva reciprocated Riya’s joy by stuffing muffins in her face as well. Meanwhile, Adrian had begun to look at Max. He was the only boy his age with whom Adrian had such close contact. It was no different for Max. He, too, was staring at Adrian.

Adrian slowly got off from his seat and walked towards Max. Max did not expect such movements as he shifted a little in his chair. 

“Go on, ask me. I know you’re fascinated by my eyes.” Adrian was straightforward with his statements.

“The-They are beautiful.”

“I know almost everyone tells me so. You wanna play catch. I brought my ball?”

“Ye-Yes”

“ME too”

“Even I”

All the children replied to Adrian’s invite enthusiastically. They soon began to run around in the hall, throwing and catching the ball. The soldiers continued to watch them as they played.

So that was good Adrian is beginning to form relations now. Let's see where this leads us. Any reviews and ratings are greatly appreciated.

Signing off

0