Chapter 2
375 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mahnu had reached her destination and went to find a safe high place to watch, as she rarely showed herself to others. She looked out at the horizon, from the high vantage point of one of the trees in the lush forest and listened silently to the cries of the suffering humans as she waited for the King and the planned attack. She could hear him coming, as he sees more of his loyal guards who met up with him close by.

Strangely, the leader of the Loyal Royal Knights, Marcus, wasn't there. She had yet to see him in person but as it was, she spent very little time with the humans, especially the royals.

Through other's thoughts, Mahnu could know what the King looked like. He seemed mature looking, with a small clean-cut beard and athletic build. His clothes were obviously that of a grander scale than that of a commoner, but he didn’t look as majestic as she thought he would, as she had seen other Kings look. Looking at his short pony tail, and his shoes being more ordinary, Mahnu finally understood that he wasn’t in a King’s attire, but more of a noble’s. Through other’s thoughts, she realized that he was undercover…Yet…He even looked somewhat familiar.

Surprising her, he sees her as she is looking out over the horizon. She had only been looking at him through other’s eyes till now but seeing herself through his eyes, made her feel strange. That strange that she felt like she should get away…But, her position really hadn’t been that revealing and for a moment, she wondered how he had found her so easily!

Getting up, to go down from the tree, so she could get away, she finally remembers that they had met once before…

 

Their first meeting was in the year of 1613, when King Richard was 20, and he was leading a small amount of men to the west. She was there discreetly but had come out of hiding to help him unload food, cook and feed the hungry people of Anddin. Back then, it had been the first time that the King had despatched trade goods to Anddin and he participated in giving what he had brought out to the people.

It hadn’t been just food that could be stored, but that of materials to make clothes, blankets and medicinal equipment. There were a variety of books and even a few men that would stay, like that of a teacher and blacksmith. Of course, this being the first goods sent, the next lot would not have these people included.

Mahnu had liked his way of helping, it had been better than her carting grain, wheat or rice all by herself, not to mention hunting. This, also, was mostly done in the dark, as not to be seen. The travel time that she could spend by helping the people of one town, could potentially outweigh staying in the actual town. Which sometimes made time go by quickly, leaving that town even years later.

 

She could potentially spend months in just travelling from one town to another, bringing back goods all by herself. Normally she would walk to the other town, but then have a carriage bring the goods back to the town, making the trip back a lot quicker…

Money was not really an issue for Mahnu, she had gained it throughout the ages easily and didn’t spend it on anything for herself. Since she travelled from one town to another, she had hidden a stash in each of them, retrieving what she would need and then again hiding the rest.

Having gotten money, from when saving the humans, had really lasted a long while, but since she had helped a number of people that would give her money with their thanks, even though she had told them that she hadn’t needed it, her stashes had only slowly dwindled over time instead of disappearing completely.

Of course, currency had slightly changed since she had received a lump sum from the King back at the time of The Siege, but a couple hundred years ago, Mahnu was able to double what she had, by selling the old currency for the new.

And now, she buys what she needs for other people, hoping that this effort will bring her closer to eternal sleep…Well, if that reason didn’t work, then she then asked herself what she would spend her money on anyway. She really had no desire for anything, except that of sleep, so why keep it to herself when she can help the sufferings in her head a bit more instead.

Honestly speaking, Mahnu was one of the richest people on Kralaide, but she was also one of the poorest in the way of having assets. She owned no other things, even that of clothes, as when she does change attires, she gives away what she had been wearing prior to the new clothes. She had once owned a building that she had let orphans stay in, but through a disagreement and people seeing how well that place had been built and where, they had tried to scheme it away from the owner. So, instead of fighting for the place, Mahnu had given it away to someone else and did not bother to repeat that situation again…

 

As it was, she had hardly been around the humans for centuries, not only did she feel that she had to be alone, but she also had no want to be close to another human…She…Had done that before…And so, she often just helps from the shadows, wanting the seclusion and distance that she gives herself.

But, that time at Anddin, she took the chance to be seen by others and tried her best to act as they did, even though she refused to speak to them.

She didn't hate the humans...She just didn't want to like them. She was sure it would mean a double betrayal if she becomes friends with them. And as it was, she had enough troubles already when it came to her own kind and her betrayal…It was one reason that she had wanted to end her existence…

So...She had scurried to and fro to human homes, that were against the mountains, making sure everyone had their share of what the King had brought for them.

The King had noticed that she did not say a word and for some reason that seemed to have irritated him. And before he could have a conversation with her, she had already disappeared. He had asked about her in the village, hearing that she comes to help but no one had known her name.

His annoyance helped him forget her, until now. The past was coming back to him as well, as he saw her face.

Yes, King Richard also thought, we've met before…

 

 

Back to the present, the King goes to catch up and stop her, after she gets down from the tree. She hadn't changed at all and he wonders if she's even real, as he was sure she was the same person!

He became a little bit confused...

Her age still looks to be from sixteen to twenty, as it had five years ago! Her figure was totally covered with raggedy, dirty clothes and her hair was flowing free and very beautiful. She even had dirt under her finger nails and knots in her black, beautiful hair!

Her sad looking eyes were captivating to him, making him feel like he could become lost within their depths!

He wondered why he thought such a dirty looking woman was beautiful, seeing even dirt on her face!

King Richard shock his head, bemused with his newly founded taste in women, as he normally didn’t particularly have a taste at all. He had no time for women when he had to look after the whole land of Kralaide…Even his Queen didn’t appeal to him that much. He had done what was expected of him, by having children, but had not that desperate need to fulfil a desire like other men would talk about…

The King's knights that were guarding him were worried, as she knew because she could hear their thoughts about her potentially exposing the secret town of Havlish, or, if she were from Havlish, she shouldn’t know of the reason why they were there when the women mostly looked after the families instead of fighting. They intervened, telling her that he is the King, in hope that she would venture elsewhere in respect. She heard that they didn’t care about revelling the identity of the King, because this place was safe and since she looked as she did, they were sure that she would leave anyway…

She decides to do as asked and disappear, preferring to watch from a far, so she distracted them with a harmless smoke bomb and left. She was glad that she got away as they didn't trust her anyway.

Ironic, she thought, they are probably related to the Loyal Royal Knights that had helped me in the past!

 

But, it seemed to have become difficult for her to hide close by…As someone was able to find her easily!

Yes, King Richard later saw her high in a tree and he was absolutely determined to hold a conversation with her!

I must try and get her to talk! He mused to himself.

He just had a feeling that she could talk but didn't, not quite understanding why he felt that way.

King Richard smiled. A fun task indeed, he thought, and started to climb up the tree.

The King may have been active in his life, as he liked to keep fit and know a certain amount of strategies to defend himself, but, normally he would not go to the extends of climbing a tree…

Mahnu found it somewhat strange that he, again, found her hiding place.

Normally, even if people did see where I was, she thought, they had never chased after me!

He started yelling up at her, asking questions about the weather and if it was warm. And to his astonishment, she continued to completely ignore him!

He hated to admit that her ignoring him, hurt his pride!

Ignoring a King? He smirked, liking how much guts she had to act this way towards him. It was…Refreshing!

 

He continued talking and climbing with such enjoyment that the guards were wondering if she has become somewhat of a toy to the King but that sounded so unrealistic. They had never seen the King have any kind of toy that he would chase after so completely…Unless you call Kralaide a toy, as that was where the King’s attention obviously always seemed to be…

They were very confused with the way the King was acting…

Is he...A complete idiot? Mahnu asked herself as she saw that he hadn't given up.

He was getting closer now and Mahnu started to panic. Seeing herself so much through one person’s thoughts and sight was not something she was used too! She was a nobody! Yet, here he was eyeing her so much it was nearly uncomfortable!

Looking down, she wondered how he could watch her so much when climbing at the same time…But, to her interest, it was like he would memorize where his next step would be, only having to look at the branches briefly before moving himself up further towards her…

Why can't he stop and leave me alone! Was this a game to him? She wondered.

Just before getting to the top, he was grumbling about his hands hurting because of the bark, so she took that moment to jump down. It was her attempt at keeping a distance, telling him through her actions that she was not someone to get close to.

I don’t want…People…

She watched him get angry and suddenly wanted to laugh as he stayed in the same spot looking down at her, his eyes burning into hers. Mahnu felt satisfied that he had lost to her but at the same time she was impressed that a majestic King had climbed so high up a tree!

3