Chapter 3.5: Routine, Opinions, and Chances
260 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One of the most common features of winter in temperate climates is snow and cold, and because of this most of the season there is nothing much to do outside when the weather is extreme. This leads to most activities being done inside or in close proximity to where you live, leading to a daily routine being important to stay sharp and productive. When I first arrived to Askja Village, home to the Tunu clan and the other three, I was met with suspicion.

My brown skin and kinky, black hair made me something of an abnormally amongst the Tunu clan. I am of Comanche Indian on my father's side and Black on my mother's family, so compared to the European coded looks of the Askja people. Something else that makes me odd among the Tunu clan is that I don't behave in traditional way men act; according to Ivar, most of the tribe finds me too meek and sensitive for a man, which makes sense because of our differences in upbringings and that I spend my time helping Deka and Mayu with cooking, weaving, and cleaning than I going hunting with Ivar, but I do so because helping them gives me more opportunities to learn about my environment and their customs.

I have officially been living with my host family for almost 2 months and I have ascetically kept to a routine of helping Deka with cleaning, learning the local script and language, help dismantle the small prey Ivar and Shasha hunt, and practice my spearmanship and learn archery, tracking, and other tips from Ivar when we have the time. During my first month, I have begun to assimilate well into the clan, or at least less people are suspicious of me. Ivar, Deka, Mayu, some of their friends, and the Elder Yeshka have become the most accepting of my pretense. However, Shasha still treats me with contempt with her insults on me being to effeminate and to go hunting on Ivar's behalf as the oldest male in the household, but Ivar sympathized with my situation and didn't pressure me to go against my will.

There has been another change I take to make me more likeable. Somedays, when Deka doesn't need my help, I help the clan by keeping watch over the younger children, about 1-5 years old, while their parents are working on other things. It was difficult at first with almost twenty kids, but I eventually got into a grove. I would help them with learning the language, join them in little games, make lunch, and tell stories from my world, so far the favorite has been Little Red Riding Hood. Sometimes when I work with the kids, I like to think about my life on Earth and how host family is adjusting.


Deka's POV

"How has that man been, Deka?" My elder sister, Ima, asked me.

"It must be horrible, he's so weird. Are you sure he's a man?" My friend, Banka voiced her opinion.

I love my friends, having our talks during washing always livens up my day, but they can be very stubborn. "Aiden has been a wonderful help. Never complains, always doing something around the house. Me and Ivar are very lucky to have him with us." I answered honestly.

Aiden can be confusing most of the time, but he has a good character and makes an honest effort to fit in despite how people treat him.

"What about your daughters?" Ima asked, concerned. "He's a man, and a tall one at that."

"Huff." I rebuked. "Aiden has been nothing but gentlemanly, compared to how many of his peers act around the village I find it a relief he's so different. Mayu adores having someone to work on lessons with, and Shasha... she is still adjusting."

"I guess that is a good thing about having such a 'unmasculine' living with you, you know he won't attempt your daughter." Sister giggled.

"I doubt any man would go for such a brute of a girl." Ima joined. "She's not getting any younger, if she hasn't found a man by now she may end up an old maid."

Banka and Ima weren't mean people, they just have blunt personalities. I do worry about Shasha, her sister is growing into an ideal Askja woman, but Shasha is just too... strong-willed. I love my children, but I can't help but feel that me and her father failed to do right by her.


Ivar's POV

There was no hunt scheduled for today, so me and Shasha decided to repair our coats. Deka was with her sister and friends while Aiden was watching the younger children. I watched my oldest daughter as she finished stitching her sleeve and started thinking about her as a small girl. Shasha was always so abrasive with people and urged me to take her as an apprentice hunter since she was small. Everyone was dismissive of her at first, and even now many of our Clan thinks less of her abilities. My biggest concern in how she will fair with men; Aiden is always under her foot, but so far he's the only male in our village who always speaks to Shasha as a hunter and warrior.

"Shasha, how are you adjusting to Aiden living with us?" I asked, curious on why she treats him so aggressively.

"I can't wait for him to leave." She answered honestly.

"He's a good man." I defended my savior. "He's been living with us for a while now, he's proven himself to be a capable man."

"No, he's proven himself to be a capable servant and babysitter." She responded, irritated. "He doesn't hunt and always has his face in some craft or script." She looked at the wall, a little sad and angry. "He could become a hunter and nobody would think about it, but he rather act like a girl. He's just so... weird."

My daughter was always made fun off for being the only female hunter in the village, and now I realize she's jealous that a man would choose to be anything else. "Yes, he is weird." I agreed about that. "But I think that what being a man means to him. Same as he must think hunting is what being a woman means to you."

"Maybe." She seemed to soften a little.

Aiden has been a big adjustment to our family, but I consider us lucky to have him. He is a polite and thoughtful young man, and he gives our children insight in what a man can be, and gives Shasha someone who doesn't have to feel ostracized alone.


It's now been three or so months, and the clan is starting to give me more respect. A week ago, the clan was celebrating a large hunt of buffalo with a feast full of laughter, drinking, and games. The men where having an arm wrestling contest, I had a lot to drink, and found myself beating every participant. After the contest, the clan started smiling when they saw me, but there were some people who still had doubts that I belonged here. Shasha was the most vocal in her doubts.

The weather has been improving lately, snowstorms are becoming less frequent and snow is melting faster, a sign that Spring will be arriving soon. One thing I love about the Askja is how much they enjoy cleanliness, inside the clan house is a large pool that is filtered by slimes and heated with fire magic to create a large bath to be used once every few days during the winter and daily during the rest of the year. The bath is separated into men, and women and small children areas; today was a bath day, and everyone was making a strong effort to be as clean as possible.

"Deka, I've noticed everyone has been acting more rash lately." I spoke to her as we carried in the laundry.

"That's right, you haven't seen the Ichth tribe." Deka answered. "They are a tribe from the mainland that visits the island during the onset of Spring for trade with the inhabiting villages." She explained as we walked into the apartment.

"The mainland? Do you think they might give me passage on their ship?" I asked, hoping this might be my chance to find a way back home.

"Are you two talking about the Ichth?" Ivar asked, drinking some tea. "I hope you can rejoin your people, Aiden, but the Ichth aren't very receptive to humans."

Shasha silently agreed as she at some tree nuts.

"If they don't like humans, why do they trade with the island?"

Ivar exhaled a sad sigh. "I suppose we should tell you. Aiden, our people, the inhabitants of the island, may appear human but we are actually a species of demi-humans." He began. "Our kind, the Snowstriders, have an inherent power to use magic to control the natural world that differs from other races. This power gives us better adaptability to the cold, making it easier to survive our environment."

It was strange hearing this at first, but I didn't see my friends any differently. "Thank you for sharing this with me. You have all been very welcoming to me, and although it will hurt for me to leave..."

"You have to return home." Deka finished my sentence, then handed me bundle wrapped in string. "Me and Ivar have been working on this for a sometime, it is a thank you for all your help and a way to show we accept you as one of our people."

Touched, I unwrapped the present, revealing a hand stitched fur lined bomber jacket with buttons instead of a zipper, with a pair of matching boots. "These are... they're like the clothes my people wear."

"We used your old clothes as a base and the drawings you made to get inspiration." Ivar explained. "We thought it would be nice for you to have something that would remind you of home, and of us when you have to leave."

"My sister and I worked for hours trying to get the stitching as perfect as possible, the leather Ivar hunted is a great conductor of magical energy. We spoke to the Elders about having it enchanted to give you extra protection from weapons and the cold. Do you like it?"

I couldn't stop myself from crying. Instinctively, I hugged Ivar and Deka tightly. "It's perfect. I love it. Thank you... you have no idea how special this is for me." The adults hugged me back, then Mayu joined while Shasha looked at me with amusement; they've done so much for me, I wanted to try to be a real member of the clan. "Ivar, would be alright if I joined you and the others on a hunt."

"Finally." Shasha commented.

Ivar laughed. "Me and Shasha would welcome you. The team leaves tomorrow morning at dawn. We'll be venturing to a region on the other side of Ancestor Valley. We hope to capture a good haul for when the Ichth arrive."

"Great. I can't wait!" This was a mark of change for me. I am going to be a true member of the Tunu clan, I talk to the Ichth about giving me passage, and I will  am going to find my way home. Tomorrow will be my chance to make reach for it.

 

 

7