Chapter 31: Out of Contract
40 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
You have it folks, Aiden's new pet is a Baby Griffin!

Cute, tough, and full of potential, much like Aiden himself. ^u^

After days of voyaging in the dungeon, I awoke in my bed in the house above the Fullerton garage. At the foot of my bed, Valiant was fast asleep curled into a ball. Out of bed, I went to see Iesha and found her making breakfast in our kitchen; sitting at the table was Rosa and a dryad groundskeeper, Greta. Compared to my dwarf friend, Greta was taller, about 4'8, with a stockier build, lilac skin, indigo eyes, large hair reaching her waist that's usually tied into a ponytail, and plump lips. She's a nice young woman, but we've never had any real conversations.

"Good Morning." I made myself know; Iesha smiled, Rose nodded, and Greta gave me the peace sign. "I came in late last night, hope I didn't wake anyone."

"No problems." Greta answered. "I did feel a shift in the soil when you got here, but I went right back to sleep."

"Anything new that I should know about?" I sat at the table.

"There is." Rose answered. "The the mistresses are visiting a potential investor from a different floating city at an associates house, and now you're here, you will be joining Mandy."

Iesha served breakfast for us when I heard Valiant rush over. "Hey, did you sleep well?" I picked him up and showed him to the girls. "This is Valiant, I found him in the dungeon, figured he'd be a good traveling companion."

Fawning, Greta picked him up and began petting the baby griffin, Rose and Iesha taking their turns next. After breakfast, I decided to go see Mandy; I entered the main house, and on the couch I saw Caira as her youngest daughter, Zoe, was brining her mother a mimosa.

"Good Morning, Miss." I gave my obligated response.

"Morning, Aiden." She winked. "Did you come in last night?"

"Indeed, now I have to speak with Mandy about something important. May I be excused?"

"You may." She took a sip while Zoe sat beside her.

Soon, I reached Mandy's room and knocked. "Mandy, are you awake?"

"Yeah, come in." She responded, I opened the door and found her at the computer. "I just finished reviewing the footage... do you have 'it'." I knew what she was refering to.

I pulled out the wand and handed it to her. "If we found a good buyer, we might make a fortune."

Mandy looked at it in silence, meaning she was in deep thought. "I already have someone of interest, but I can't tell you anymore." She held my hand. "I need you to trust me on this."

I've known her for months now, enough time for me to gain confidence in her. "Okay, I trust you."


In the Mountain Wilderness

The meeting was would be held at the home of Daelee's associate, so after serving breakfast to the Fullertons I drove Mandy, her parents, Zoe, and Rose to the meeting place. Compared to the suburban settings that most Eladrin on the island reside, this attorney lived in the wilderness on a 10 acre patch of land in the wilderness. Taking the only road leading to their house, I was impressed by the natural beauty of the forest.

We arrived at the rustic, elegant mansion shortly after noon.  After parking, Daelee led us to the front door where a woman was waiting to greet us.

"Afternoon, June Lane." Daelee shook hands with her.

She must be close to the family, because both the parents were happy to see her, and she hugged Mandy and Zoe lovingly. I don't think June's a relative, as she doesn't resemble them much; she was fairly tall, ~5'11, plus-size at 16-17 or a little more, and she had orange skin with light blonde hair, brown eyes, and full lips; she was wearing a dark brown, bodycon long-sleeve dress, and her hair was tied into a half-bun behind her.

Done with the greetings, June brought us inside her home to the living room. Waiting for us was a large man, both in height and girth, with teal skin and green hair, wearing a white suit and a thick mustache; according to Daelee, this was Mr. Martini, a reverse importer from another flying city, as well as two other associates of his.

Before the meeting, Mandy tapped me to lean down for her to whisper in my ear. "This could take a while, you leave for know and come back when I send for you."

I nodded, having trust in her. Alone, I decided to look around the property, impressed by the simple, yet tasteful choice in decorating. In the family room, I found several pictures, the most prominent one being of June, an older looking man who I figure is her husband, and with them is four cats and two dogs. Getting a better look of the room, I saw there was three cats sleeping on the furniture.

They must be animal lovers. Compared to Daelee and her wife, this coupled seemed to be more informal in tastes.

Feeling stuffy, I went outside and got a look of the exterior; it was beautiful, reminding me of camping with my dad, being in the scouts, even my time with Lanie and Rana... making me miss all those important people in my life. I arrived at the patio, finding my host sitting in a lounge chair, drinking sweet tea, and scratching one of her dogs' ears.

"Mr. Ortega?" She spotted me and gestured to come over. "It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard a lot of things about you from the others."

"What have you heard, Miss?" She acted casual, but I was still unsure if I could be at ease.

"Daelee likes to gossip about your... 'persuasion' skills. But most of what I've heard is from talks with Mandy."

"Are you two close? Miss Daelee never told me how you know each other."

"I'm the family's attorney and legal counsel, I've known Daelee for about... maybe a century now. Once you reach a certain age, you just stop keeping track." She took a sip of her beverage. "I actually wanted to thank you, Aiden."

"Thank me? What have I done?" Her reasons weren't clear.

"I watched that little girl from from an infant to now. She was always such a timid child, but knowing you has brought a change in her." She gave me a smile. "I'm proud of the woman she's becoming."

I don't know much about Miss Lane, but I got a feeling she's someone I could trust. Anyone who talked so well of Mandy is good sign.

Sitting on the patio with Miss Lane, I was able to enjoy the silence until the sliding glass door opened, Rose coming to speak. "Aiden, Many has requested you return to the living room."

Returning to Mandy, with June deciding to come as well, I found that my master was sitting across from Mr. Martini with a coffee table situated between them, her parents and Zoe seated right behind her, and the other two guys next to the larger man.

"You slave has returned." Mr. Martini saw my arrival. "Are you ready to do business now?"

"Indeed." She said before speaking to me. "Aiden, show me the wand."

Obeying orders, I pulled out the "Wand of Saving Rain" and placed it on the coffee table. The older gentleman picks it up and begins inspecting it.

"This is a genuine magic item alight. Prey tell, what does it do?"

Mandy gestured for me to explain. "This wand is a rare item I obtained from the Hero Trek Dungeon." The news surprised everyone but Mandy. "It apparently has the power to increase the effectiveness of water based magic by tenfold, as I have been informed."

Mr. Martini placed it back on the table. "I very rare find, indeed. You've got me interested; for the want, I am willing to pay 20 large gold coins." His offer caused some commotion with his associates. "Do we have a deal?"

Mandy straightened her back and exhaled. "No... as Aiden said, this wand increases water magic x10, and being well connected with a number of water mages in your home city, you would have no trouble finding a buyer for it. If I were to sell it, I would have to insist on 50."

The visiting businessman was silent for a moment as the men next to him whispered. "25 coins, I still have to make a profit, Young Lady."

"40."

"30, and that is my final offer." Mr. Martini was firm on his response.

Mandy offered her hand. "Deal." Sold for 30 large gold coins, Martini presented her with the money from a magic bag his associate was carrying. "Thank you, before we adjourn, I have one last piece of business." She turned the chair to face Daelee. "Mother, I am buying Aiden's freedom." She shocked everyone as she presented the coins before her mom. "When you purchased him, you paid exactly 30 large gold coins for him. I am offering the same price for his freedom." 

It was unbelievable, Mandy told me that because she was a minor, I couldn't be set free unless her mother agreed. What she was doing now was asserting herself in front of her family and their associates. 

Daelee smirked. "That is an interesting offer, but his value has increased since I purchased him. If you want to buy his freedom, I will need nothing less than what I paid plus %10; that's 33 large coins."

Mandy took a deep breath and pulled something from her suit jacket. "I had a feeling you would say that, so I'm adding the additional 3 large gold coins I've saved from Aiden's dungeon diving."

In the world of business, your word is an iron contract, as long as you have witnesses; and only now do I understand what Mandy was thinking earlier today. She was planning to sell the wand to Martini and offer the money to her mom with the knowledge she would raise to price; if Mandy was able to make the price, Daelee would be obligated to accept or she'd be viewed as going against her word in front of Mr. Martini and his group.

Reluctantly, Daelee agreed and made the contract she signed to purchase me appear and traded it for the 33 piece of gold, the contract bursting into flames when it left her hand. To verify, I felt a seeing pain on my chest where the branding mark was, and it slowly faded away until there was no trace of it left.

I'm... I'm free. After months of being at the control of others, I was free. Overjoyed, I rushed Mandy and pulled her into a tight bear hug. "Thank you." I wept some as I whispered in her ear.

She held me back. "I'm happy for you."

"Excuse me." Daelee interrupted, both her and her wife peeved at the exchange. "You've seem to have forgot something. Under slave law across the world, paying off a slave price releases him from slavery, but a freed slave is indentured until they have paid off a sum equal to twice the purchase price with interest increasing with each passing year." The woman snickered. "Furthermore, because Mandy is still a minor, she can't take control of your debt until she's at least 18 fey years old. Therefore, as he parents, we are..."

"Actually, you won't have to do anything Daelee." Stepping forward, Miss Lane spoke as she stood beside Mandy. "Several months ago, after Mandy registered Aiden at the guild, she came to me and asked that I be made legal advisor to her dungeon exploration team. As her official legal advisor, I am the executor of her estate until she reaches legal age. Therefore, Aiden is under my administration until then."

All this time, Mandy has been planning for something like this for months. I had never been more honored to know my friend until now.

With all business finished for now, Mandy had to leave with her family; the one sad thing was Zoe, she hugged me goodbye but I promised I would see her again whenever I went to visit her sister. Because Rose was purchased along with me as an addition, she was still a slave but I was still in charge of her; she would go back and collect Valiant and our belongings to be brought to Miss Lane's residence. Alone with her, she sat me down and explained the changes in my situation. I was no longer a slave but now an 'indentured', meaning I now had legal protection as a person; Miss Lane told me that I could travel anywhere in the Paganish Realm, but I wouldn't be permitted to leave its boarders due to the magic of the contract still in effect until I pay off my entire debt, 66 large gold coins + %50 for each additional year.

"Thank you Miss Lane." I appreciated her help, I wasn't truly free but I was better than before. "Without you I wouldn't be where I am."

"Please, call me June. You don't have to thank me, Mandy is a good girl, she might be grounded until she's my age, but she doesn't regret what she did."

"Miss... June, can I hug you?" After so much, I needed a hug. Accepting my offer, she hugged me.

"I'll show you to your room." She led me upstairs to an empty bedroom with a dog sleeping on the floor. "Hope you don't mind company. If you plan to stay here, we could arrange something more permanent for you to choose from."

"Stay or leave?" I smiled at the idea. "It's nice to have choices again." I sat at the foot of the bed. "Is your husband here, I didn't see him in the living room?"

"Oh, he... just had to step out for a while." June's smile weakened. "You just rest, I'll fix us something for dinner."

Alone in the room, only the bloodhound at my feet for company, I wept in joy at how far I've come in just under a year. The debt I have is large, but if I keep going I'll pay it off and be reunited with the people I love again outside this realm. I will return to my family, just take it one step at a time.

 

 

 

 

2