Chapter 3 – Her Return
181 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Three days passed by in a nerve-wrecking blur. I gripped the edges of the vanity as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. The maids that had been helping me dress hovered behind me. 

I clenched my jaw. "You are done, are you not? Leave!" 

They squeaked and scurried away, quick on their feet as if I were a bomb that might explode any moment. And perhaps I would explode. The frustration I'd been bottling up was close to overflowing. 

Today was the day they would send me to the palace. To the place where my past life had ended. 

I gaped at the girl in front of me. With deep ocean eyes, long flowing dark-blue hair and light skin. If this face had been more sharp and edged, she could pass off as the previous Empress' twin. Clary and I had the exact same features. 

Almost. Because her cheeks were rounder and her eyes were softer. Clary was like my entire innocence and goodness poured into one person. 

We had a resemblance, I thought, due to the Lorraines being a branch family of my mother's side. The blue of our hair and eyes were a dominant trait in the genes of our ancestry. Even that arrogant Kazriel wasn't safe from it. 

The gods had a knack for humor, allowing my soul to find the body of a girl who deeply resembled me. 

The maids had woven intricate braids into my hair and studded the strands with tiny mother of pearls. Moonstones dripped from my ears like droplets of water. The same gems wrapped my delicate neck. 

I trailed down my gaze. The dress was even more horrid. It was too flashy. It fell from my chest, leaving my collarbones bare and very much exposed. Gold laces peeked out from the cuffs and beneath the layers of the skirt. 

"Already looking like a doting bride, aren't we?" I spat. 

They hadn’t even decided on a wedding date yet. And now they were ordering me to live in the palace? The palace, where my enemies swarmed. One slip of a mistake, one moment this mask dropped and I would lose my head. That place was a death trap!

I had sworn to live peacefully, cherish Clarisse’s body and keep it safe. And maybe build some semblance of a life that was far from malicious courtiers and politicians. A life that she had probably wanted but did not get. Whatever it was, I would have made the effort to find out. Going back would mean going against my promises to Clarisse. 

At this point, it seemed like fate itself was challenging me. 

I could run away, as it was not too late. Yet where would I go? I had nowhere to run. I could not fend for myself. I had been taught to hunt prey but I never knew how to cook. 

Besides, running was for cowards. 

I pinched my eyes shut and took in a shuddering breath. 

Fine then. Indeed, the gods had a sick sense of humor. Killing me in one life and sending me back to my death in the next. To the same place at that. Perhaps they were not so creative to think of other ways to kill me. I would not make it so easy. I will live as a different person with a different name. Not as Empress Athelina. She had died two years ago. 

I will be stepping foot into that palace as Clarisse Lorraine, daughter of the Viscount. 

“If it’s a challenge you want, then it is a challenge you’ll get,” I said, cursing some higher being for putting me in this situation. 

I headed down the stairs and stopped in front of the doors that led outside, where a four-horse carriage was waiting. My so-called parents were already there to see me off. 

On the bright side, I would not be able to see them again. Though I would probably prefer to be here rather than walking a tightrope to my own demise. 

I arrived at the gates and saw my father's bright expression, looking very much like he'd been removed of his problems. Mother was dabbing a handkerchief at the sides of her eyes.

One of the horses huffed as though it knew as well as I did that she wasn't really crying at all. 

"Spare me your tears, Mother. You are happy to be rid of me." 

She kept up her act and leaned close. From faraway, it might appear as if she was hugging me.

She whispered into my ear. "Oh, very much. I must thank you, sweet daughter of mine. We will have no days of worry, not anymore. And I will be the rich mother of a princess. The gods have smiled down upon our family. " 

I scoffed. "You think Elian will pay you bits of gold in exchange for my hand?" 

If she noticed the casual way I spoke of the prince's name, it did not show. 

She pulled away and grinned. "He already has." 

The Viscount's broad smile was proof of it. Of course, how could I not have realized it? The aristocratic faction supporting Elian wanted this marriage so badly they'd lay out even a fraction of their fortunes. 

Elian was of marrying age. He needed to have a bride coming from a powerful family to back him up. But not powerful enough to possibly threaten his position. A family who was noble in name only. One that lacked the resources. The Lorraines were perfectly-suited for the role. 

My clever parents took advantage of their desperation. 

*** 

I awoke to the bumping of the carriage. I had drifted off to sleep for most of the trip. I could barely get a wink of sleep last night for worrying about the days to come. 

I parted the curtains and stole a peek outside. The sun was setting down behind the huge iron gates—

Wait... gates? 

I pulled aside the curtains further and craned my neck outside the window so that I could see clearly. 

We were now passing through the courtyard, white marble statues erected above lush green grass. It had all happened too fast. I failed to prepare myself. 

The horses skidded to a halt. The door opened. The same servant who came to our house—a valet, I presumed—opened the door. 

He offered his hand. "My lady, we have arrived." 

I could see that. 

I hopped off from the carriage and didn't bother to accept his hand. 

The imperial palace stood in its usual magnificent glory. Alabaster walls and domed roofs and towers with crystal spires. The outside was the same as I'd last seen it. 

But what of the inside? 

I followed the valet into the palace. 

"Come, Queen Ruth and Prince Elian are both waiting for you in their parlor," he said. 

My heels struck the marble floor. A swell of relief rushed in my chest when I saw that the interior was still the same. Though there was a dullness in it I could not quite put my finger on. Kazriel wasn't one for decorations. Neither was I. But that wasn't it. 

My train of thought was cut off by the valet. "They are inside." 

I was now facing a huge wooden door. I muttered my thanks and off he went. 

He didn't have to guide me to my destination. I knew my own way inside this place. But if I had told him that, it would come off as strange. I was only but a daughter of a noble house. 

I contemplated not knocking but I did it anyway. I opened the door and stepped in.

There, sitting before a round table, Elian and his mother twisted their golden heads to my direction. 

"Your royal highness, my lady. It is I, Lady Clarisse of House Lorraine." 

Lady Ruth clapped, her eyes of luscious emerald green twinkling. "Come right in, dear!" 

The parlor hadn't changed. The room had bright-colored curtains and wallpapers, complementing each other. The glass windows overlooked the gardens and it offered one of the best views in the palace. This was where Lady Ruth normally received her guests and held tea parties.

I trudged toward the round table by the window where they were settled. It was already nighttime and the gardens were not visible anymore. 

Their familiar faces greeted me. Elian, appearing exactly like a gender bent version of his mother, was scowling.

I curtsied. "It is an honor to meet you." 

I did not expect a day would come when I would bow my head to them but I had to. In order to survive. This was only the beginning. 

"As elegant as a daisy! Rise, Clary." Lady Ruth exclaimed, her tone cheerful and rich with honey. 

Already she was calling me by my nickname. 

I smiled. "You flatter me, my lady." 

"No, not at all! I must say, you act like royalty that you need not to practice." Lady Ruth was as bubbly as ever. She turned to Elian. "Is she not the cutest, dearest?" 

Elian had his chin planted onto his palm. He looked away, his golden curls tumbling over his brows. "She looks all right." 

He was sulking. 

‘Glad to know you're as childish as ever, brother.’ I thought to myself.

But he was no real brother. Only a few people in the palace knew that he was of dubious parentage. And fewer—including me—had the knowledge that he was really no son of my father's. 

Prince Elian was birthed from my father's consort, Lady Ruth, and a foreign ambassador from the North.  

Still, I saw him as my brother. But knowing this prevented me from cringing at the thought of marrying him. At least we did not share the same blood in our veins. 

Although looking at the mood he's in right now, he didn't seem too interested in me. That was good. 

Elian should be thankful he'd inherited his mother's mop of golden curls and lush emerald orbs. Because of this, the queen's treachery hadn't been too obvious. 

The sound of a chair dragging against the floor. Elian launched to his feet. "Are we done? I'm going." 

He did not wait for an answer.

The door slammed close. He walked out without giving me a single glance. 

I balled my fists. 'That rude brat. He isn't the only one who hates this whole marriage idea.' 

"Pay him no mind, Clary." Lady Ruth rose from her seat. Her gaze, green as the forests, found mine. "He'll come to his senses soon enough." 

I do hope he doesn't. 

Lady Ruth maintained her calm composure but her wrinkles deepened, undoubtedly due to Elian’s outburst. She attempted to stand. "Walk with me. I will show you to your chambers. It is located next to Elian's." 

"Oh, no. That is very kind of you. But you don't have to, my lady. One of the maids can take me there." 

She offered me a smile with pure intent. "I'm glad. You seem to be catching up on our ways very quickly."

If only you knew.

 

You can read MORE chapters on our patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/paintword

 

 

You can also check the webtoon by clicking on the link below:

WEBTOON PROMO

 

2