Chapter 15 Sin’s Hit Squad
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15 Sin's Hit Squad

 

 

Shadow one: "Targets are in my sights."

Shadow two: "Guards dealt with."

The sound of two bodies hitting the floor echoed through the previously quiet hallway. The metal doors, once guarded by the fallen sentries, creaked open just enough for two mysterious figures to slip through the opening. 

Shadow one reporting in: "Sir, the doors lead down to a dungeon."

A drippy voice calls from a message spell: "*Slurp*, investigate the dungeon, *slurp*, report any signs of cultist activity immediately, *slurp*. If you see any ritual spell in effect, I give you the order to kill."

Shadow one: "Got it, sir. Okay, J you take point, I will watch our backs."

J?: "Alright."

As J makes their way down the cold stone staircase, they reach out to touch the rough surface of the wall to steady themselves. As they approach the bottom, J notices a summoning circle etched into the damp dungeon floor. The markings appear fresh, indicating recent use. Positioned around the circle are four robes, arranged in a perfect square. Curiosity gets the best of J, and they reach out to nudge one of the robes, flipping the hood over to reveal its contents.

J?: "Ashes, it seems that what they were trying to summon backfired on them."

Shadow one holds its wrist out, and a ring forms around her wrist: "Sir a spell was used here but from what it looks like, the spell backfired."

As Shadow One spoke into her wrist, J took a closer inspection of the robes worn by the cultist lying on the ground. She crouched down and carefully picked up the robe with her metal claw gauntlet. Suddenly, a ring slipped off the sleeve of the robe and clanked onto the floor. The room fell silent as the two companions immediately scanned the area for any possible traps or lurking cultists. After a minute of complete stillness, Shadow one resumed her report to their commanding officer, while J remained vigilant and continued to examine the ring. She cautiously picked it up with her claw, avoiding any direct contact with her skin. To her surprise, a white light began to blink from the gem on the ring, emitting a beacon light every five seconds. The companions exchanged a look of curiosity and concern as they contemplated the meaning behind this mysterious discovery.

Shadow one realizes and grips J pulling her out of the doorway: "IT'S GONNA BLOW!"

J drops the ring as she is dragged to safety, hiding on the steps holding their heads to protect themselves from explosions. The small blinking light grows brighter from the door frame reflecting the light off the wall. Blinking faster every second until just a white light is left.

Shadow one's wrist spell activates: "Get out of there!"

With their hearts pounding and adrenaline pumping, the two recklessly charged up the stairs, desperate to escape the blinding light that pursued them. They burst through the door and tumbled out into the wilderness, gasping for breath and seeking refuge amidst the dense foliage. Trembling with fear, they crouch behind the bushes as the light slowly fades away from the door, leaving behind only the ghostly remains of the two guards. Their bodies seem to evaporate into thin air, sending chills down their spines and making them wonder what kind of dark magic is at play here. The silence is deafening, broken only by their own ragged breaths as they try to gather the courage to move forward. But deep down, know that something sinister is lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike at any moment. The air was thick with the scent of danger, and every rustle of the leaves made them jump with fear. It was a heart-stopping moment that they would never forget.

J rolls onto her back, shielding her eyes from the bright sun. They both share a small chuckle, relieved to have made it out alive.

J breathing hard: "What was that!?"

Shadow one keeps her lizard eyes locked on the door: "We are here to find out."

J retorts: "No, we are here to take out cultists, not body-eating light."

Shadow one opens up the spell to give another report: "Sir, we made it out, but a ring sent out a body-eating light."

Slime commander: "So *slurp* that is what the spell detection picked up. Good job you two, *slurp* come back to base for now."

The spell ends by breaking the ring around her wrist, feeling the relief wash over them, just thinking of going back into that dungeon sends shivers down their spines. 

Shadow one tugs J's shoulder guard: "Alright let's go back while we still can."

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

Back at the base (in the mansion's underground level)

Floor 100

 

 

Upon their return, they were greeted by their commander, a peculiar green slime that lacked any resemblance to a defined shape. Its stature stood at a height and width comparable to that of a deer. The commander's body was adorned with two elongated slime arms, eagerly embracing the returning team members in a warm and gooey hug.

Slime boss: "It's such a relief to see you both safe and sound. Please come over here, *slurp*, and let me hug you."

The Slime boss covers Shadow one and J in green slime, giving them a bit of a surprise. Shadow one seems to enjoy the hug, but J tries to break free from the slimy embrace. Luckily, the Slime boss lets them go, allowing them to catch their breath.

Shadow one: "I am glad too, I hope we didn't give you a scare."

J picks globs of slime off herself: "It was gnarly! I can't believe something like that exists, I wonder who created it."

Slime: "Well whatever it is, it is not made by mortals that is for sure."

Slime pats their backs: "You earned your day off *slurp* go and enjoy it."

Both: "Thank you, sir!"

As the two individuals enter the portal elevator, they are presented with the option to visit any floor of their choosing. The Slime boss takes a moment to attend to the wall map, which is adorned with eight distinct red marks. Some of these marks are located within bustling cities, while others are situated in the abandoned temples and ruins of small gods or titans. The room is centered around a large round table, with a single giant chair on one side reserved for the leader of the operation. With a contented sigh, the Slime boss erases one of the marks from the map. Suddenly, the portal echoes, signaling the arrival of a new visitor.

Slime turns around: "Welcome, oh hello sir what brings you here."

Sin stands at the portal entrance looking toward the map: "Where did Jinn and Liz go on their last mission."

Slime answers a little sheepish: "Uh they traveled to the uh temple of fire."

Sin leaves without saying anything, prompting Slime to let a weak "sir" as he is eaten by the portal. 

Slime: "Nice talk."

 

 

#

 

 

Hit Squad Number Two

 

 

 

Two demigods walk through a camp of soldiers.

Demigod one: "I wonder when the raid on the Thunderous kingdom will commence."

Demigod two tilts his head back to give a 'really' look: "You are excited about that aren't cha."

Demigod one moves his hands in excitement: "How are you not, The greatest demigod lives there, I can't wait to show him how strong I am. Also, give something extra to his wife if you know what I mean."

Demigod one playfully bumps him.

Demigod two walks ahead of him: "Your sick you know that."

Demigod one: "What!?"

Gaze upon the fort, it stands tall and ominous, almost like a foreboding warning to anyone seeking to challenge it. The walls are constructed from roughly hewn logs, each one cruelly sharpened to deter any intruders. Two watchtowers stand guard on either side of the entrance, each manned by a pair of wary guards. The surrounding landscape is barren and lifeless, a wasteland that bears the scars of war between Gods and Man. The cracked soil and swirling dust serve as a testament to the devastation that has occurred here. The sky above is shrouded in a thick, oppressive cloud that blocks out the sun's rays and casts a pall over everything. Three figures approach the fort, their shadows stretching out behind them like dark tendrils. They move with purpose, their intentions clear. The central figure nods and the group splits up, moving towards the fort from both sides. It is a bleak and somber scene, a stark reminder of the harsh realities of the world.

Upon reaching the big wooden door to one of the entrances, a guard stationed on the watchtower shouts to the main shadow.

Guard: "Halt! What is your business here!"

The enigmatic figure shrouds its countenance with a cloak and hood, casting a veil of intrigue over its features.

Main Shadow voices out their business: "I come for the raid!"

A women's voice came from the shadow, her voice is the only way you could tell she was a woman considering the large cloak covering her head to toe. An elegance to her voice didn't help her lie.

Guard: "Walk away little princess, the people in there will eat you alive."

Woman in cloak: "Queen."

Guard visibly confused: "What?"

In a flash, the cloak emptied, slowly drifting to the floor, a black set of feathery wings pierced through the guard's neck completely decapitating the man. Perching atop the watchtower's roof, crimson droplets trickled from her majestic wings, while her sharp talons firmly grasped the edge, providing her with a stable stance. Her ebony tresses were composed of feathers, resembling a raven's, and her arms were transformed into wings, enabling her to survey the mayhem that had engulfed the fortress. The pathways leading to safety were obstructed by raging flames, leaving the humans vulnerable to the merciless predators lurking in the skies. 

Rez: "Ladies! Dinner is served!"

The two harpies swarm their prey, screams echo throughout the dead waste, it tastes blood once more as the screams get snuffed out one by one. Rez wears a toothy grin while watching this delightful showcase of how easily human flesh can be torn from the bone.

Demigod one hysterical: "Please! Stay away! Get away from me!"

He sends a small ball of fire towards one of the harpies, it gets batted away like a fly. Terror fills his eyes, bringing him to tears, the harpies land in front of him. His back against the wall as the three stands over him, teeth sharpen to eat meat from the bone. Rez shoves his shoulder into the wall using her giant talons to hold him in place, squeezing with those sharp claws. 

Rez questioned him: "Where are the other forts!? Tell me now and this can all end!"

Demigod writhing in pain: "I don't know anything I swear!"

She grips harder, digging her talons into his shoulder: "That is what they always say, ladies, bring this one home, master will want to talk to this one."

Rez lets go walking away as one of the harpies kicks him in the head, knocking him out. 

Rez scours the area, picking through the melted remains, coming upon what looks like the commander's tent. Still upright from the battle that took place, it was mostly intact, Rez swipes through the tent slicing it open. 

Rez: "I guess someone survived."

The second demigod hid in the tent, his blade drawn ready for them to attack.

Demigod two: "Stay where you are!"

Rez sauntered her way around a war table that was in between them: "And why would I want to do that, it is not like I am going to bite."

Demigod swings his blade wildly trying to ward her off: "No but you sure as hell cut with those big talons!"

They go in a circle around the table, one trying to get close while the other trying to get as far away as they possibly can. Rez hops on the table, standing over him wearing a small black dress to cover up. 

Rez: "Awe, are you scared of me."

The Demigod slowly backs out through the tent: "Stay away, *bump*, what the?"

The two harpies stood behind him, their sharpened teeth open, salivating at the mouth. The man's eyes widen, realizing how screwed he is.

Demigod pleads for his life: "Wait, please PLEASE!"

A harpy slits his throat and then tosses him to the floor, bleeding out all over the floor. 

Rez: "What a waste of life." 

The three take off, carrying their prisoner of war as spoils for their leader. Cackling in the wind returning to their master, leaving chaos in their wake. 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

Nearing the mansion 

 

 

 

 

As the sun sets over the horizon, three majestic harpies soar through the sky, their wings slicing through the crisp breeze. The feeling of the wind through their feathers brings them immense joy and gratitude for the simple pleasure of flight. Amongst them, Rez performs a stunning aerial acrobatics routine, executing a perfect backflip with effortless grace. Meanwhile, the other two harpies keep a watchful eye on their captive, observing silently as their queen revels in the freedom of the skies. An old mansion comes into sight on top of a circular mountain, waiting for them is a giant skeleton sitting on the porch of his mansion. He rocks back and forth on his chair, letting out a puff of smoke from his nonexistent lungs. Rez lands on the mountain, barely moving a blade of grass as she lands smoothly. The other two not so much, tossing the prisoner from a decent height, he plummets to the ground landing on his chest. The force of the crash woke up the man just to feel the pain of the blow. One harpy lands on his back, pinning him to the ground using her talons to dig into his back. 

Sin sits up: "Glad to see you Rez, what have you brought me."

Rez points her wing to the demigod: "Oh only the spoils of war, and he has a lot of info about the raid. *Presses her foot on his head shoving his face into the ground*, don't you little man."

He grovels in the dirt, eating a mouth full of it, Sin, intrigued by the gift, waddles his way down the steps to them. Making a gesture the harpies let go of their vise grip on the man's back and head. Painfully slow the demigod lifts his head, taking a second to get in all the info his eyes were getting. 

Demigod in disbelief: "A, elder lich? No, no, please! this can't be possible!"

Sin tilts down looking him dead in the eye: "And why is that?"

Demigod shaking: "Because you are dead, the gods have wiped you all out, your whole race!"

Sin grips his collar lifting him off his feet, his voice went as deep as possible: "Then you are gravely mistaken."

A whimper eeped out of the man: "I will tell you everything! I swear on my life!"

Sin tosses him to the ground: "I guess that is the only thing you have, fine, tell me now."

Demigod spills his guts: "The raid starts in three days! One outpost sits in a forest of Epoch, near the Thunderous kingdom. *Sweat runs down his cheek*, that is all I know I swear!"

Sin narrows his bone brow: "I think you are not telling me everything."

Demigod: "I can't tell you anything else, they will kill me!"

Sin drops him: "Who said you were going to make it out alive."

Demigod tried to run: "Oh god..."

Rez put her wing through his chest, she boots his soulless body off her wing. 

Sin stares at the body: "I could forgive the attack if it was against me but if it brings any pain to my master then it is death and only death."

Sin turns away, heading inside: "Rez, can you rally the assassins please, we have a few things to take care of."

Rez: "Right away sir."

Harpy one: "Well what do we do now."

Rez: "You two go scout out the forest while I get everyone ready, and return safely please."

Both Harpies: "Right away my lady."

They take flight, zooming through the sky toward their destination. After dusting herself off, Rez took a moment to ensure that she looked presentable for the grand mansion and its residents. With a deep breath, she confidently pushed open the doors, unleashing a sense of chaos within her that she had not experienced in quite some time. Suddenly, two fiery balls whizzed past her, their warmth brushing against her skin as they hurled themselves out of the mansion and into the outside world. The once-bustling hall fell silent as all eyes turned towards the now-open door, filled with surprise and curiosity. Sun was the first to break the awkward silence, letting go of Rex, who had been trying to chase Ven while she playfully teased him by scratching behind his ear. 

Sun straightens her posture: "Long time no see Rez, how was your kingdom in the sky doing."

Rez stutters: "Uh r-right! It is doing well, it takes a lot of work to keep a kingdom together."

Moon seeps out of the way, disappearing from this mess, Ven acts, all the same, walking up to the feathery friend and patting her on the back.

Ven gives her a warm welcome: "Hey there royal hotshot, did you miss us, *Ven raises an eyebrow*, or are you too good for us now."

Rez: "Ha, like I can stay away from you fricken psycho, so how are you Ven, met any strong warriors yet."

Ven walks with Rez: "No, only your typical knight thinking he can take on the gods, they probably couldn't even fight Hestia and leave a dent on her." 

Their voice fades down the halls chatting about their travels, the others regain their voices. 

The first is Rex: "Well that was interesting."

Sun swats him on the back of the head: "You shut it you mutt!"

Rex whimpers: "It's not my fault!"

Sun leaves the room: "Whatever you mongrel! Go choke on a bone!"

Rex yells: "What, I said I was sorry!"

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

Edge of Epoch Forest

Nightfall 

 

 

 

Liz: "Sir, the harpies have reported a fort inside the forest, it is one of the biggest they have seen."

Sin: "Good, if we kill them all now then there won't even be a thought left about attacking the city, only the massacre thinking it."

Rez lands behind Sin: "Sin, there was an army spotted at the edge of the forest treeline, I don't think this is just bandits and criminals."

Sin: "Change of plans, spread the word for our army to protect the gate, I need to go to the city."

Both Liz and Rez: "Got it."

Sin: "Gate."

Entering the liquidy portal to a palace of beauty and elegance.

Sin observes the area: "The throne room, I could have sworn I opened the portal to the bed chambers."

Ash shouts from the halls: "What are you doing here Sin."

Sin strolled towards him: "There is an attack on the city about to commence, I have my army protecting the wall, I just need you to call off the guards."

Ash: "Understood, mind if I join the fray, I am bored."

Sin: "It will be my pleasure."

A portal opens behind Sin: "Sir the guards are not listening to us!"

Sin enters the portal along with Ash, coming through to a whole battalion surrounding Sin's assassins. 

Ash orders: "Everyone, stand down! He is with me!"

The captain of the guard voices out: "Everyone! Fall back to the gate! My Lord, I am glad to see you. May I ask why this army stands guard?"

Ash: "There is going to be an attack on the kingdom and my pupil here warned me of the incoming attack."

Ash stands at the wall directing the soldiers on the wall: "You ready the mages for magic walls, and send a message to the queen of the attack!"

Sin regroups with his army: "Is everyone ready?"

Rez wears a worried look on her face: "Don't you think there are not enough of us, in total here, there are about a hundred of us."

Sin: "I got it covered, just keep a level head about it."

The army of the forest emerges, tens upon thousands of soldiers and criminals lined up, they rush like untrained buffoons.

Sin lazily: "Liz dear?"

Liz looks up: "Yes Sin?"

Sin points out: "Can you hold your hands against the floor."

Liz does it in a flash: "Right away sir."

Sin: "Now! Bury my enemies, and bring forth my allies!"

The ground beneath the army grows hands of bone grabbing at the soldiers' feet and pulling them under, suffocating them. Once a soldier goes under, the skeleton pops up-armored to the teeth. 

Rez: "No wonder why you told me not to worry."

Sin: "Most humans are stupid or just plain weak, but it doesn't mean they can't make good fodder."

The ground stops pulling soldiers under as it releases hordes of skeletons, fully assembled in a position to wall the army. 

Sin: "My assassins! You may have fun."

Rushing the battlefield the assassins make quick work of the soldiers attacking the wall of skeletons.

Ash hops down the wall: "Some magic is just out of my reach, I guess being dead has its perks too."

Sin: "Yes it does, do you want to have fun."

Ash holds a smile: "Gladly."

Ash vanishes leaving an afterimage, Sin waddles to the battlefield. Climbing up the skeleton wall as they form steps with their bodies. 

Sin chuckles out loud: "Haaahaa Haahaa, the good times!" 

Sin sends balls of elements into the crowded area of enemy soldiers.

 

 

 

Ash warms up a summoning circle in his hand: "You have no idea who lives here do you."

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6c414b4647637645574b6c7572673d3d2d313132383136303638362e313664616630323932663936666232323336323434333533353539322e6a7067

(Art made by Ninestar619)

 

 

 

 

A dark abyss, deeper than the darkest cave, materializes on the ground with alarming swiftness. Its voracious appetite engulfs anyone unfortunate enough to stumble into its inescapable grasp. A white paw comes out of the hole crushing three soldiers, pulling itself out, a lioness jumps out landing on soldiers squashing them flat. 

Ash chats it up with his familiar while snapping the neck of a soldier: "Hey Vex, how was your nap!"

Vex hops around not noticing she is in a battle: "It was wonderful, I feel so much better! Oh, where are we?"

Ash grabs the wrist of a soldier, using him as a meat shield as the soldier gets stabbed by his comrades: "We are fighting a battle, I just brought you out to see if you wanted to stretch your legs. *Screams of the soldier getting stabbed* you can go visit Sam and Sadie, don't forget to say hi to Astrid and tell her I will be home before dinner."

Vex: "Okay see you later!"

She departs with haste.

Ash almost forgets: "Don't forget to shrink when you enter the city!"

The battle gets cleared up in a matter of minutes, Rez drops a soldier at Sin's and Ash's feet.

Rez: "This man was running away, his armor bears a mark that is unknownst to me."

Ash helps him off his feet, cleaning him off: "Look at you, all dusty from hiding, it's okay I won't hurt you."

Ash hears a whimper coming from under the helmet and decides to lift the visor. To their surprise, they find a young woman in her early twenties.

Sin: "Ah a woman, what is a lady doing fighting a war, especially on the side of murders and criminals."

As she gazes around the battlefield, her eyes seem to struggle to settle on any one particular face. While looking at Sin, her body quivers with unease, but when her gaze falls upon Ash, a sense of calm washes over her. The armor she adorns is that of a standard knight, yet it exudes a striking red hue with a subtle black tint to the visor, lending it a rich maroon appearance. 

Ash asks her a question: "Would you rather die a soldier or live under a lord."

She lets a whimper eep out: "A L-Lord sir."

Ash: "Good, now I need info about your leader, or that can't happen."

She timidly provides a response: "Z-Zero."

Sin scoffs: "So he lives, I knew that rat would survive that fall."

Ash: "Friend of yours?"

Sin: "Ha, calling us friends is like saying Zeus is the greatest husband there is."

Ash directs his attention back to the soldier: "You held up your side of the bargain, now it's mine. Sin?"

Sin looks at Ash: "Yes?"

Ash grows a wicked smile: "Your next test for being my pupil is, you will take this human under your wing and teach her the ways of living in peace."

Rez and Sin shout in disbelief: "WHAT!!?"

Sin pleads: "Sir you can't be serious, my servants will eat her alive, I can't do that."

Ash rests his arm on his shoulder: "So you want to fail your master Sin, you are going to break his heart."

He gives Sin puppy dog eyes even though they are covered by a blindfold, and Sin rolls the flames in his eyesockets: "*Sigh* yes sir, right away sir."

Sin: "Gate."

The portal opened behind him, Sin talks to her as Ash leaves for the castle: "What is your name."

She gives a low-spoken answer: "It is Marilyn."

Marilyn trembles with every step, the assassins walk into the portal one by one, staring her down. The skeletons dig into the ground going back to sleep.

Sin holds a hand out: "Don't worry, you will be safe, just try to keep an open mind."

She gave a little nod, Sin walked her in, slowly preparing her to enter, closing her eyes tightly as she pushes through. 

Sin: "You can open your eyes now."

Marilyn opens one eye to a beautiful mansion, Sun and Moon stand with their hands folded in front of them. 

Both: "Welcome back Sin."

Sun held a minuscule tone of disgust: "You brought a human."

Sin: "Don't treat her like that, her name is Marilyn, and will be working under me."

Sun the tone is better hidden: "Understood."

Sin: "Moon could you show her to her quarters."

Moon gives a quick nod: "Yes sir."

Sin looks down at Marilyn: "Don't worry she is very shy too."

Marilyn barely above a whisper: "Okay."

The two walk down the hall, Sun turns sharply: "Have you lost your mind!"

Sin: "*Sigh* It was not my idea, Ash told me to do it."

Sun: "So he is testing you."

Sin: "Yes he is."

Sun walks away: "Good luck with all the rest of your servants."

Sin stands there: "Shit."

 

 

0